board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

The End Is Near

Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 21 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 »
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject: The End Is Near
Posted: Sun 17 Jul , 2005 8:34 pm

Friends, it was on March 4, four and a half months ago, that I type these fateful words:
Quote:
It is my perception that board77 is in danger of spinning off into anarchy. I love the basic democratic nature of the place, and I would not fundamentally change that, but we suffer from a lack of a process to allow us to make effective decisions for moving forward into the future. With everybody and everyone allowed to start a poll about anything, each vote becomes more and more meaningless. That will become even more true as we grow, but once we have a strong structure in place, it should not be nearly as much of an issue, and the democratic process will work as intended.

But I believe that emergency measures are immediately necessary to get to that point. This is what I propose:

1. An immediate moratorium on new invite threads until the structure is in place (allowing the existing threads to be processed).

2. A panel is formed consisting of all current and former admins, Jnyusa, lidless,and Ethel (and perhaps a very few number of others). This panel will as quickly as possible devise a series of polls, each with a clear purpose and a clear time limit for voting and implimentation, guided by the various discussion that have already taken place (and which will inevitably continue to take place while the panel deliberates.

Please note that I am not proposing that a poll be set up on this idea. How ironic would that be. I am proposing that the current admins make an executive decision to implement this plan or some similar plan. I urge you to do so before it is too late. I have already come to care about this place even more then I did that other place that has nothing to do with us even though we all come from there (;)). I would be very sad if board77 collapsed under the weight of his own values.
Little did I--or anyone else, I deem--picture where this would lead to. Through thick and thin, debate mostly amicable but at times rancorous, we have perservered. And now, for all intents and purposes, our task is done. To all who have participated in this process, you have my profound thanks for helping to make my original, nebulous vision a reality. We have much to be proud of.

:love: :love:

Profile Quote
Anthriel
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 17 Jul , 2005 10:13 pm
Seeking my nitid muliebrity

Wow!

I, for one, and absolutely with independent thought, am proud of the efforts that have created such a sturdy foundation.

This board rocks.

IMO, of course.

:love:

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 18 Jul , 2005 12:49 am
WYSIWYG

LOL - that post made me just furious at the time, Voronwe! :P

As I think you might have gleaned from the reply I posted in the thread a bit later. :D

(Still does, actually. ;) )

But, yeah, we did a good job - it's awesome that we got that far - and that Jny is so organised and was willing to spend so much time on this - and that so many people took an interest in creating a structure for this board, rather than saying "it's only a messageboard". :)

:cheers To us! :grouphug:

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 18 Jul , 2005 6:03 pm
One of the Bronte Sisters

Friends,

Really sorry. Having serious back problems ... sit in chair and type = bad pain.

Hobby - re Wilko ... get other loremasters to decide. Not sure myself. Whole charter is here in Jur room

re - tie on Binding votes. Don't care how this is resolved. Someone communicate w/ Frelga, laure and Ax, please. If you need me to vote again, I will.

Posting Rat thread now for member discuss ... please figure out tie before voting begns.

Sorry, people, I'm dead in the water here.

Jn

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 18 Jul , 2005 6:36 pm

Jn, you have my vast sympathy. I know what a horror serious back pain can be. I just hope that your episode passes as quickly and as completely as my recent episode did.

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 18 Jul , 2005 8:56 pm
WYSIWYG

Oh dear, Jny - sorry to hear that! :(

You take care of yourself and get some rest, or whatever the doctor prescribes for your back! :hug:

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 18 Jul , 2005 9:20 pm
Living in hope

Jn, yeeowtch!

We'll get it done.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Anthriel
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 18 Jul , 2005 11:20 pm

Wow, Jn, that's too bad! I sure hope you're feeling better soon. :hug:

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 20 Jul , 2005 9:29 pm

Are we done? Can we declare the convention over?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 20 Jul , 2005 9:33 pm
Living in hope

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 20 Jul , 2005 10:43 pm

Yes, I believe so. :Wooper:

And these threads can be moved to the History Forum as soon as an Admin i.d. moves the stuff I posted in Questions to the Directory.

The word of the day is:

W00T

You guys, thank you all for your stupendous endurance, and your intelligence, and your patience, and your committment.

Jn

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 20 Jul , 2005 10:50 pm
Living in hope

The person who most needs thanking is you, Jn, for your incredible patience, organization, leadership, and determination. We would not be finished now (we might not ever have finished at all) without you.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Anthriel
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 20 Jul , 2005 11:03 pm

You have ALL put in more time than I have... and considerably more effort. I am humbled by you all.

Jn, you are simply amazing. I could think of a dozen more superlatives, and you would have earned all of them; but in the end, I can think of no better word to sum up my thoughts than amazing.

I am AMAZED by you, your dedication, and the ridiculous amount of time you have gifted to this community.

You ROCK!

:Wooper:

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 20 Jul , 2005 11:30 pm
WYSIWYG

w00t! :cheers

I can't believe we're done! :Q

I'll miss this! :Q

Thanks to Jny for being so amazingly (there really is no other word!) dedicated and creative, to Alandriel for doing a lot of organising and getting the website up and to Voronwe for taking over assisting Jny from her and steadily pushing this whole heavy wagon out of the mire towards opening. :)

And thanks to all who took part in the convention for a fascinating time of creative discussion - the collaborative process by which ideas were born, changed, refined and finally shaped into a result, so that in the end it was never one person's views that won, but a mix of everybody's, making it impossible to tell who had contributed what, this process was awesome and completely thrilling - an example of what real discussion can be, IMO.
I'm honoured and, yes, just proud to have been a part of this! :)

:cheers

From our key principles:

Profile Quote
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 21 Jul , 2005 1:52 am
Another bright red day

w00t!!!

:banana: :banana:

My sincerest thanks to all of you for your hard work in putting this all together. I didn't contribute much, but I am proud to have called myself one of the Committee. Something really unique and incredible has been created in this board. :cheers

And an especial thanks to Jn, without whom this may not have happened. You have my admiration and thanks. :bow: :bow: I hope you feel better soon. :hug:

:Wooper:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 21 Jul , 2005 3:21 am

Thanks you guys, I appreciate your appreciation ... honestly, I'm not just being flippantbecause sometimes, you know, no one gives a damn and it pleases me very much that you all feel proud of our accomplishment here ...

and, I agree 100% with Hobby's last comment:

the collaborative process by which ideas were born, changed, refined and finally shaped into a result, so that in the end it was never one person's views that won, but a mix of everybody's, making it impossible to tell who had contributed what, this process was awesome and completely thrilling - an example of what real discussion can be, IMO.
I'm honoured and, yes, just proud to have been a part of this!

I've been involved in two spectacular failures in this genre ... (feel safe telling you that now) :D ... and the difference is, and always will be, imo, the unselfishness of the people involved. Everyone on the committee was here to act in the best interest of the board.

Now if we can just hold on to that ... we'll see all kinds of new leadership blossom within this framework that we've created. :)

Jn

Jn

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 21 Jul , 2005 5:09 am
Living in hope

I appreciate everyone's work, and Hobby's words are true for me, too. I've never had an experience like this before, and not only am I proud of what we've all accomplished, but I think I'm not quite the same person who naively jumped on this bandwagon in March, after less than five weeks on this board. I've learned things through this process that will serve me in RL as well. Lots of them from Jn, and from reading everyone else's contributions and ideas and arguments and disagreements.

I also owe especial thanks to Voronwe, who wrote the words that got all this in motion and helped steer it safely to the end. :love:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 21 Jul , 2005 5:40 am
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

Jn, do you like the smell of jasmine?

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 21 Jul , 2005 7:02 pm

It sure is empty in here. ;)

I think this auspicious occasion calls for a song (my apologies to the late great Jim Morrison)

This is the end
Beautiful friend
This is the end
My only friend, the end

Of our elaborate plans, the end
Of everything that stands, the end
No safety or surprise, the end
I'll never look into [this forum]...again ;)

Can you picture what will be
So limitless and free
Desperately in need...of some...stranger's hand
In a...desperate land

Lost in a Roman...wilderness of pain
And all the children are insane :Q
All the children are insane :Q
Waiting for the summer rain, yeah

There's danger on the edge of town
Ride the King's highway, baby
Weird scenes inside the gold mine
Ride the highway west, baby

Ride the snake, ride the snake
To the lake, the ancient lake, baby
The snake is long, seven miles
Ride the snake...he's old, and his skin is cold

The west is the best
The west is the best
Get here, and we'll do the rest

The blue bus is callin' us
The blue bus is callin' us
Driver, where you taken' us?

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 21 Jul , 2005 7:29 pm
WYSIWYG

Quote:
I'll never look into [this forum]...again ;)
I wouldn't be so sure of that! :P ;)

From our key principles:

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 21 posts ]
Return to “Threads of Historical Interest” | Jump to page 1 2 »
Jump to: