To Edit or Not To Edit, That Is the Question

Post Reply   Page 4 of 4  [ 73 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4
TORN
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 08 Aug , 2005 8:36 pm
THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Anthriel wrote:
If I didn't know that the lot of you were such MAJOR English grammar geeks, I wouldn't have to go back and edit when I have overused certain words in a paragraph or gotten too wordy with qualifiers, or other such grammatical embarrassments.
and then Primmy wrote:
What, Anth, you mean people like me make it hard for you to RELAX???!!!????? [I should note, by-the-by, Primmy's stea. . . I mean, borrowing of my patented underline+red+large+bold formatting]
Yes, Anth, relax . . . as you know, my posts tend to go on and on, failing all known rules of language parsing, circling round and round several different diffuse points and generally only tangentially touching on what it is that I, the Great and Powerful TORN, wish to convey to you, the adoring masses on this sad and pathetic excuse of a messageboard -- not to say that I view any one of you individually as sad and pathetic, or as sad or pathetic, or as sad and/or pathetic in turn, or in fact neither sad nor pathetic -- or, for that matter, not necessarily even that I view any collection of individuals -- in whatever multiple you may wish to posit -- as constituting an organic entity having traits of sadness or patheticism -- no, it is solely the collective whole that brings together all necessarily elements to constitute a truly sad and pathetic messageboard -- well, as I was saying, I ... ah ... well I mean ... hmmm ... yeah ... in any event, Primmy still deigned it appropriate to bestow upon me the honorific title of "Poltroo" . . . so there's still hope for you, my dear Anth.

SIGNED,

NIESZCZĘSNY MIEJSCOWY STRACHAJŁO

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 08 Aug , 2005 8:42 pm
One of the Bronte Sisters

sadness or patheticism

[cough] sadness or pathos

waits for Anthriel to twitch

:devil:

Jn

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Profile Quote
Anthriel
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 08 Aug , 2005 8:45 pm
Seeking my nitid muliebrity

[ img ]

Profile Quote
TORN
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 08 Aug , 2005 8:48 pm
THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Jenny-in-the-USA wrote:
sadness or patheticism

SEE!!!???!!!???!!!??? MY POINT EXACTLY!!!

SIGNED,

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 08 Aug , 2005 8:48 pm
Not so deep as a well

:LMAO: Now THAT is a smiley we should import, even if it throws off our balance of smiley trade...

Profile Quote
TORN
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 08 Aug , 2005 8:55 pm
THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Jenny-in-the-USA wrote:
sadness or patheticism

I should add (but not edit in, of course, as that would threaten to loosen the ties that bind the universe together) that a whirl of "patheticism" through Google certainly makes clear that it is a truly poltroonific word choice if there ever was one.

SIGNED,

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 08 Aug , 2005 9:05 pm
Living in hope

Poltrooific.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Fixer
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 08 Aug , 2005 9:16 pm
The Man who Knows his Tools

TORN wrote:
Yes, Anth, relax . . . as you know, my posts tend to go on and on, failing all known rules of language parsing, circling round and round several different diffuse points and generally only tangentially touching on what it is that I, the Great and Powerful TORN, wish to convey to you, the adoring masses on this sad and pathetic excuse of a messageboard -- not to say that I view any one of you individually as sad and pathetic, or as sad or pathetic, or as sad and/or pathetic in turn, or in fact neither sad nor pathetic -- or, for that matter, not necessarily even that I view any collection of individuals -- in whatever multiple you may wish to posit -- as constituting an organic entity having traits of sadness or patheticism -- no, it is solely the collective whole that brings together all necessarily elements to constitute a truly sad and pathetic messageboard -- well, as I was saying, I ... ah ... well I mean ... hmmm ... yeah ... in any event, Primmy still deigned it appropriate to bestow upon me the honorific title of "Poltroo" . . . so there's still hope for you, my dear Anth.

SIGNED,

You are a lawyer by trade, aren't you?

[ img ]

The best measure of our accomplishments in life is not what goods we have accumulated or the recognition gained from actions we have performed, but what we leave for others who choose to follow the path we made for them.

Profile Quote
tolkienpurist
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 08 Aug , 2005 9:25 pm
Unlabeled

Fixer wrote:
TORN wrote:

SIGNED,

You are a lawyer by trade, aren't you?
Fixer,

Res ipsa loquitur.

TP

Profile Quote
Anthriel
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 08 Aug , 2005 9:30 pm
Seeking my nitid muliebrity

Gesundheit.

:D

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 08 Aug , 2005 11:47 pm
One of the Bronte Sisters

a whirl of "patheticism" through Google certainly makes clear that it is a truly poltroonific word choice if there ever was one.

:Duck:

Must be one of those ethnic coinages, enriching our language by working long hours for low wages. ;)

Jn

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 09 Aug , 2005 12:19 am
WYSIWYG

Axordil wrote:
Hobby--
Quote:
I post, and find that someone has posted while I was typing, so I want to add something with reference to the new input.
See, I actually find that confusing. Even when I do it. :)
Why?
Quote:
Quote:
Making separate posts to answer different people, that's spamming, I think.
Really this is a matter of taste. It's no better nor worse than a huge omnibus post that answers everyone, IMO. Sometimes I do one, sometimes the other.
Well, for me it depends on how complex a post is, and whether I think a point will be overlooked when it's part of another post.
But sometimes people seem to habitually add afterthoughts as new posts, and that makes me want to remind them we have an edit-button... :rage:
Quote:
I do think we should perhaps bear in mind that English is not the first language of everyone here...
Not sure what that has to do with it.

I think the problem with longer posts is people's willingness to concentrate on them.
I've not yet found differences in that with respect to native language.
Quote:
Voronwe, what is to prevent people from editing their own posts in a Jury Room deliberation, not just to rewrite history, as it were, but destroy evidence?
As I said earlier (and it was in a post all of its own! :P ;) ), you get the line saying a post was edited, so you even in the unlikely case someone wanted to destroy evidence (and, like someone else said, I don't think we should limit people's liberties to prevent things someone might want to do some day or not) - but in this unlikely case there'd be a treacherous mark left behind. ;)

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 09 Aug , 2005 1:13 am
Not so deep as a well

hobby:

There is a limit to how draconian we should be if someone who was a non-English native speaker wanted to edit something that was clearly the result of a translation or other linguisitic error, that's what I meant.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 4 of 4  [ 73 posts ]
Return to “Threads of Historical Interest” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4
Jump to: