The Last Homely Site on the Web

Moving to our own place - member discussion thread

Post Reply   Page 4 of 9  [ 165 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 69 »
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 15 Jan , 2006 9:56 pm
Another bright red day

I agree with Prim that this board should not be deleted, as otherwise we would (possibly, depending on how this all works out) lose posts made between the time of the backup and the move.

Jude, that list of steps looks good, but you know more about it than I. If it's okay, I'm going to sticky this and desticky the backup recieved thread.

So, shall we request a backup soon and try to get this process started?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Rodia
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 15 Jan , 2006 10:12 pm

Prim, I guess it won't hurt to leave it running but I just don't see why moving would change anything....why do you think it would? More importantly, HOW do you think it could happen? Do you think someone would force a new order on the moved boards? Because aside from that I really can't see how the move could change anything.

(this is an honest question, just in case.)

[ img ]
Help me go to the North Pole! by Magic Madzik, on Flickr

TRYING TO GET TO THE NORTH POLE! You can help by voting: http://www.blogyourwaytothenorthpole.com/entries/244

Profile Quote
elfshadow
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 15 Jan , 2006 10:40 pm
Kill the headlights and put it in neutral

I'm definitely with Mossy that this board shouldn't be deleted, for the interest of having all of our old posts here. Especially because I don't know if we can recover our threads here to the new server. But I still don't see what it has to do with having a "new" b77...the site would be the same, it would just be our own server.

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 15 Jan , 2006 10:42 pm
Living in hope

I just worry, Ro. :) But I also hope for the best.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Rodia
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 15 Jan , 2006 10:47 pm

:hug: I can tell you right now that if anything of the sort ever happened, I'd leave. And I wouldn't be the only one. It's just not possible.

:hug:

[ img ]
Help me go to the North Pole! by Magic Madzik, on Flickr

TRYING TO GET TO THE NORTH POLE! You can help by voting: http://www.blogyourwaytothenorthpole.com/entries/244

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 16 Jan , 2006 12:08 am
Aspiring to heresy

Elfshadow wrote:
I'm definitely with Mossy that this board shouldn't be deleted, for the interest of having all of our old posts here. Especially because I don't know if we can recover our threads here to the new server. But I still don't see what it has to do with having a "new" b77...the site would be the same, it would just be our own server.
The purpose of the backup is so that we can transfer all of our history to the new server. So if all goes according to plan, the only difference at the new place will be the url and the lack of banner ads (yay!).

We'll lose the posts between the time of the backup and the time of the move; hopefully this won't be more than a day or two.

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
elfshadow
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 16 Jan , 2006 12:09 am
Kill the headlights and put it in neutral

Okay, thanks for clearing that up Jude. :)

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 16 Jan , 2006 12:21 am
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

Who said the board was going to be deleted? :scratch:

If no one posts here for 60 days straight then the board will be deleted by phpbber due to lack of inactivity, that's it.

I also wanted to echo that moving to a new server is just that. I don't know where the idea came from that the charter was going to be dropped and that everything was going to change. :scratch: It's the fact that the phpbber admin is saying that no discussion of homosexuals is allowed...basically incredibly ridiculous stuff like that. It's better to move to our own place than risk the phpbber admin shutting down and then deleting the board.

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 16 Jan , 2006 1:48 am
Insolent Pup

:yes: with everything Eru said.

If we move we need to pick a date and then I seriously suggest we lock down most of the forums for the time that it takes to get the backup, just so we don't end up losing a whole week or so worth of posts. (I have no idea how long the backup takes. I'm just guessing a week.)

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
halplm
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 16 Jan , 2006 1:51 am
b77 whipping boy

I agree too. Just lock the board for however long it takes and move us.

We could all use the break anyway.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Profile Quote
Elian
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 16 Jan , 2006 2:13 am
Let the dice fly.

Sounds fine to me...I'll support whatever needs to happen, as long as it gets done. :)

What does it take
to stop getting carried away
by the force of my love...

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 16 Jan , 2006 2:18 am
Aspiring to heresy

No, there's no reason to lock down the forums. That would essentially prevent us from communicating with each other, which we'll need do to, particularly if the move doesn't go smoothly.

I said "a couple of days" as a best-case scenario. It could be several days, or even weeks. The last time we requested a backup, it took a lot longer than expected because the job turned out to be more complicated than they expected. It may well that they've got the procedure down pat, and that this time will be a piece of cake - but we won't actually know until it happens.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 16 Jan , 2006 4:40 am
Another bright red day

Jude, is there any way to know when they're doing the back up?

Also, how do we request one? I know Alandriel did it last time as the Admin of Record, but that's pretty much all.

I have no idea how any of this works, but would it be possible to have any posts made between the time of the backup and the time of moving to be copied to a disk or hard drive and loaded onto the new server along with the back up of this board? Probably showing my complete ignorance but thought I'd ask.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 16 Jan , 2006 8:33 am
Insolent Pup

I never suggested shutting down all the forums, just a majority of them. But then, Jude has a point... the backup could conceivably take several weeks.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 16 Jan , 2006 3:23 pm
of Vinyamar

I just read the PHPBBer TOS. Can someone point out to me where the problem section is?

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
halplm
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 16 Jan , 2006 4:42 pm
b77 whipping boy

fine, forget locking the forums, just warn everyone they could lose any posts they make until the move?

Can we make posts on the new site without losing them when we move the backup there? That would be ideal, then we could lock this place up, move everyone, get the backup, and put it all together.

It would be easier, of course, to just let people know they'll lose posts... so they can make backups, and repost...

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 16 Jan , 2006 4:58 pm
Aspiring to heresy

When we move the database from here to the new server, it will replace everything there. So any posts you make before the move will be lost, any posts after will be permanent.

Any posts you make here before the backup will be preserved, any posts here after the backup will be lost.

Bottom line: Post here until the backup happens. Keep posting here after the backup is announced, with the knowledge that these posts will be lost. Copy any posts you consider important to your hard drive, and repost them at the new place when the move is complete.
Alatar wrote:
I just read the PHPBBer TOS. Can someone point out to me where the problem section is?
The TOS itself is straightforward. But someone in another thread linked to a discussion on the phpbber support forum, which seemed to indicate that "inappropriate content" is subject to a wide range of interpretation.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
halplm
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 16 Jan , 2006 5:41 pm
b77 whipping boy

THis should be done today. The rangers should request the backup and make the announcement.

IF we don't just DO it, it will never get done.

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 16 Jan , 2006 8:08 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

Someone will have to pay for the backup. It costs $25.

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
Fixer
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 17 Jan , 2006 1:43 pm
The Man who Knows his Tools

Jude wrote:
Bottom line: Post here until the backup happens. Keep posting here after the backup is announced, with the knowledge that these posts will be lost. Copy any posts you consider important to your hard drive, and repost them at the new place when the move is complete.
Sounds like a good plan.
Erunáme wrote:
Someone will have to pay for the backup. It costs $25.
Is that all? Sheesh. HOW does one pay? I spend more than that in gas every three days (as I cover 100 miles a day).

[ img ]

The best measure of our accomplishments in life is not what goods we have accumulated or the recognition gained from actions we have performed, but what we leave for others who choose to follow the path we made for them.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 4 of 9  [ 165 posts ]
Return to “Threads of Historical Interest” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 69 »
Jump to: