The Last Homely Site on the Web

Moving to our own place - member discussion thread

Post Reply   Page 3 of 9  [ 165 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 59 »
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 22 Aug , 2005 9:01 am
of Vinyamar

Ranks are different to usergroups, but I suppose they work in much the same way. We use ranks in a very dodgy fashion. Normally ranks are set up to imply a hierarchy. Here we just use the for titles. As a result every user has an individual rank.

If vBB allows titles without the hassle of setting up Ranks we can do that instead.

Alatar

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
dave
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 22 Aug , 2005 3:16 pm

vB has user titles

These can be set on a per user basis, on an admin basis or on a user group basis which would be better for your style of ranks than phpBB offers

Profile Quote
Lidless
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 30 Aug , 2005 1:19 am
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

Re the password for the admin part of board77.com, any time there is a change in personnel who should have access to it, the password should be changed. This is not a reflection of the character of those retiring, just basic Best Practice.

All I ask is that, while I am still legally responsible for it at least, I be kept in the loop. Once the ownership is transferred, the password should be changed again so I don't know it.

Last edited by Lidless on Fri 02 Sep , 2005 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Snowdog
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 02 Sep , 2005 4:29 pm

I am just going to comment that to make sure anything you posted is definitely saved, is to save it yourself. That way if anything goes wrong in the transfer process, you have a back-up of whats important to you.

Profile Quote
Holbytla
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 01 Nov , 2005 12:43 am
Grumpy cuz I can be

Been nearly a 2 months since the last post in here.
Does this still need to be stickied?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 13 Nov , 2005 11:50 am
*Ex-Admin of record*

I have no idea what's been going on re moving to our own place and I'm deeply sorry for apparently having 'abandoned' this cause. Thing is - real life has just gone totally crazy, having started a new business.
However, it seems the idea has been abandoned somewhat (or put on ice for a while) as otherwise surely I wold have gotten some emails or other pointers to get into gear.

Please! If you need me to do anything, e.g. get in touch with the phpbb guys or anything like that, yell at me on email: alandriel_e-b77 at yahoo dot co uk.

Due to work pressures I can only glimpse in here from time to time but emails I do check on a regular basis. I hope you'll forgive me and understand.

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 13 Nov , 2005 12:38 pm

:kiss:

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 13 Nov , 2005 2:45 pm
WYSIWYG

Thanks for caring, Alandriel, but don't you worry! :hug:

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 13 Nov , 2005 6:45 pm
One of the Bronte Sisters

If no one objects, I'll unsticky this, and make the corresponding Global Announcement a sticky thread in its forum rather than a global announcement.

We can always resticky it when the issue becomes hot again.

Jn

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 16 Nov , 2005 2:43 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Ack! I got one of those "talking" banner ads - I hate them with a passion! :rage:

Do we have to wait until after the holidays to revive this issue? I'm available for tech support any time!

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 16 Nov , 2005 3:08 pm
of Vinyamar

Sorry Jude. This is my fault. I have been too busy at work to give any time to this. I'll gladly hand over the reins if you are in a better position to handle this.

What we need:

1. Arrangement with PHPBBer for a definite backup time

2. A temporary shutdown of the board during the backup and subsequent transfer or an understanding that posts WILL BE LOST!!!

3. An agreement from the hosts that they will be able to accomodate the upload of the SQL dump. Previously they told us they would only handle it up to a limit of 300MB. I imagine we have far exceeded that by now. Alternatively, can the dump be split into smaller files and uploaded piecemeal.

Alatar

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 13 Jan , 2006 11:31 pm
Aspiring to heresy

*Bump!*

Time to restart this process.

So, I think the steps are:

1. Somebody contacts phpbber and requests a backup
2. Once we have the backup, we put up a global announcement that we are moving, and any posts between the date of the backup and the date of restoring the database on the new board will be lost
3. We set up the database on the new board
4. A new global announcement: "We've moved! The new url is:....."
5. A ranger sends out an email to all members
6. Somebody posts in the old place periodically just to keep it alive until we're sure that everyone knows our new address.

Did I miss anything?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 15 Jan , 2006 7:34 pm
Living in hope

I would like to request that this board NOT be erased after the move. There may be members who would prefer to stay on here, if the new site is going to have a radically different structure and atmosphere. They have a right not to have their posts wiped out.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Rodia
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 15 Jan , 2006 8:52 pm

Why would the new place have a new structure or atmosphere? it's just a move from one server to another. The rules aren't going to change, the members aren't going to change...

I never thought of it that way, Prim, and if anything does change I'll be very unhappy. I don't need b771 and b772.

[ img ]
Help me go to the North Pole! by Magic Madzik, on Flickr

TRYING TO GET TO THE NORTH POLE! You can help by voting: http://www.blogyourwaytothenorthpole.com/entries/244

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 15 Jan , 2006 9:10 pm
Living in hope

I was under the impression the charter was going to be left behind—or at least that this had been proposed. And it seems possible to me that some of the rules we have here because of the phpBBer TOS and the age-18 limit of U.S. law will be dropped—which might mean some members here could not or would not wish to move to the new site.

I'm just saying that if the "new" b77 is not identical to the "old" b77, then some people might want to have the option to stay with the old.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
elfshadow
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 15 Jan , 2006 9:21 pm
Kill the headlights and put it in neutral

I think that moving to our own server isn't necessarily on a parallel with anything to do with the charter. It's more of a technical change on our part, because phpbber's TOS has gotten a lot tighter lately, and it's just better to move to our own server. Any changes to the Charter or the structure of the board will have nothing to do with changing to a new server, or at least that's what my impression was.

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 15 Jan , 2006 9:39 pm
Aspiring to heresy

What Elfshadow said.

Moving to our own server is a completely separate issue from the discussions going on now in the Jury Room. The same rules that are in effect now will be in effect after we move.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Rodia
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 15 Jan , 2006 9:41 pm

I don't think that is it at all, Prim, who would be entitled to make such a decision? :Q

The Charter might get changed before we move (who knows what might happen) but that better have nothing to do with the move itself.

No, I'm certain no one is trying to dump the charter behind our backs and justify it with the move. If the 18 rule changes, too, that will obviously happen with a vote and the correct procedure, but if it means people will have to give up b77 I can't see it passing.

It's not going to be a new site. Just a new host for THIS site. I'm not moving to a new b77, I don't think anyone else expects to either.

[ img ]
Help me go to the North Pole! by Magic Madzik, on Flickr

TRYING TO GET TO THE NORTH POLE! You can help by voting: http://www.blogyourwaytothenorthpole.com/entries/244

Profile Quote
Elian
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 15 Jan , 2006 9:44 pm
Let the dice fly.

Just saying as a member of the committee that indeed, moving to a different server has NOTHING at all to do with any changes to the charter that may or may not take place. :)

What does it take
to stop getting carried away
by the force of my love...

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 15 Jan , 2006 9:50 pm
Living in hope

I wasn't referring to any changes to the charter that are under discussion now, Rodia. The membership voting to change the charter is different from, say, someone simply announcing when the new board opens that the charter is history, deal with it. It's an action that I think at least a vocal minoriity here would support.

My concern is that if that were to happen, the new board would not be the same as the old, and people would need to have a choice. If that's absolutely not going to happen, then there's no basis for my concern.

I still believe the old board should not be deleted, if that's being considered. If b77 is the same in the new place, the version here will die a natural death in a couple of months anyway. If not, or if it turns out not to be the same kind of place, some people might stay here or return here, and they should have the chance to do that.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 3 of 9  [ 165 posts ]
Return to “Threads of Historical Interest” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 59 »
Jump to: