The Last Homely Site on the Web

Access to ToE Member Discussion Thread

Locked   Page 3 of 20  [ 393 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 520 »
ToshoftheWuffingas
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 14 Sep , 2005 9:11 am
Filthy darwinian hobbit

OK, not certain I will have the time but I will volunteer too. If I am trusted.

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 14 Sep , 2005 1:40 pm
Living in hope

I've decided I'm going to step away as soon as Eru is ready to assume the Mayor position on this committee. I'm sure everything will go well, but at the moment I don't have the focus the issue deserves. :(

[ img ]

Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 14 Sep , 2005 2:51 pm
Not so deep as a well

Can we have a running list of the volunteers on the first post, Alatar?

Destiny is a rhythm track on which we must improvise.

In some cases, firing the drummer helps.

Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 14 Sep , 2005 2:58 pm
of Vinyamar

Done.

Ok, we have our committee folks. Get discussing!

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 14 Sep , 2005 3:07 pm
Not so deep as a well

We need a Jury Room thread and access. :D

add: ah, we have a thread now...and I at least have access.

Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 14 Sep , 2005 3:16 pm
Per aspera ad astra

I am not able to reply in the Jury Room, at least so far.

Nichts Schöneres unter der Sonne als unter der Sonne zu sein.
(Ingeborg Bachmann)

MariaHobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 14 Sep , 2005 3:23 pm

I just discovered another reason for you ToE folks to be very, very careful who you let into the forum. Apparently there are people who just cruise around the phpbber.com messageboards just looking for anything that violates ToS so they can report it to the admins. :neutral:

Here's a link to a thread by one of them:
http://www.phpbber.com/support/viewtopic.php?t=724

I used to be offended by the walls built around ToE... but now it seems they are necessary to keep the casual snoops from bringing down all of B77.

Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 14 Sep , 2005 3:27 pm
Not so deep as a well

I am saddened to hear that, but not terribly surprised. :(

Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 14 Sep , 2005 3:50 pm
of Vinyamar

All committee members now set up with access for the Jury Room

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 14 Sep , 2005 4:59 pm
One of the Bronte Sisters

just fyi,

I went to the link Maria provided and clicked on the links within that link that were supposed to be TOS violations. Public access via the links has been replaced by a message that the forum violates the TOS and the owners should contact phpbber. So apparently they do shut down the site until the problem is resolved.

Jn

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 14 Sep , 2005 5:09 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

No, it says "Your forum is under investigation for violating our Term of Service".

The guy has been looking for profanity as well so trying to make it seem like ToE is only endangering b77 is bs.

Again, we are the number one message board on phpbber. They've also backed up our site. Do you think they haven't noticed what goes on here?

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 14 Sep , 2005 6:27 pm

edit: too late Maria. I saw precisely what you wrote.

abandon yourself.

-Ryokan

MariaHobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 14 Sep , 2005 6:45 pm

I was hoping no one saw it.
After I analyzed the amount of physical response I was having, I decided it was probably a PMS overreaction.

You didn't really call me a liar. It just felt that way.

I feel so psychotic. :(

edit: added "I was having"

Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 15 Sep , 2005 2:38 am
One of the Bronte Sisters

Eru: The guy has been looking for profanity as well so trying to make it seem like ToE is only endangering b77 is bs.

Either I misunderstood what I was reading there, or you misunderstood what I was saying.

I wanted to see what that 'ducksomething' person considered a TOS violation so I clicked on the links he/she provided to the admins. But the links no longer take you to the forum as they must have done when 'ducksomething' posted them. Now they take you to a message from the admins. So it appears that the admins did close the forum. You can't get in it now.

I did not say that the admins would close ours. I did not even suggest this.

Jn

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 15 Sep , 2005 3:33 am

I'm not sure where to post this (this thread, the ranger one where this is kind of being discussed or in the jury room) so pardon if this isn't right. I wanted to crosspost one of Jn's ideas as it's something the committee could consider.
Quote:
ToE is not readable by the public, but the protocols we adopted do make the ToE accessible to the public after 3 months and 100 posts. We could alternatively have drafted into Article 6 the provision that no new members would be admitted to ToE until after the date at which those few existing underage members had passed their 18th birthday. The 3/100 provision could have gone into effect only after the 18th birthday of all existing ToE members.

I don't know how Idylle, Voronwe, TORN and others feel about this, but if ToE is not accessible to the public ... meaning that no one I know can register here and become a member and join the ToE and see that underage persons are active in it ... I would not have minded leaving those posters alone until they turned 18. There is some very slight risk associated with this but it is a risk I am willing to take for the sake of online buddies, just as some of TP's friends are willing to take certain risks on her behalf, within reason.

(We can still pass a provision like that, in fact - simply close the forum to new members until the existing members are all of age. The committee working on the revised access rules may want to consider this.)

abandon yourself.

-Ryokan

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 15 Sep , 2005 5:20 am

Erunáme wrote:
I'm not sure where to post this (this thread, the ranger one where this is kind of being discussed or in the jury room) so pardon if this isn't right. I wanted to crosspost one of Jn's ideas as it's something the committee could consider.
Quote:
ToE is not readable by the public, but the protocols we adopted do make the ToE accessible to the public after 3 months and 100 posts. We could alternatively have drafted into Article 6 the provision that no new members would be admitted to ToE until after the date at which those few existing underage members had passed their 18th birthday. The 3/100 provision could have gone into effect only after the 18th birthday of all existing ToE members.

I don't know how Idylle, Voronwe, TORN and others feel about this, but if ToE is not accessible to the public ... meaning that no one I know can register here and become a member and join the ToE and see that underage persons are active in it ... I would not have minded leaving those posters alone until they turned 18. There is some very slight risk associated with this but it is a risk I am willing to take for the sake of online buddies, just as some of TP's friends are willing to take certain risks on her behalf, within reason.

(We can still pass a provision like that, in fact - simply close the forum to new members until the existing members are all of age. The committee working on the revised access rules may want to consider this.)
I would have no objection to this solution so long as I wasn't not working on incorporating the site during that time period.

Edit: But as I said elsewhere, would it be fair to make this exception for the two that already have permissions for ToE and not other under 18 year olds that are not as close to their 18th birthday?

truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 15 Sep , 2005 2:18 pm
WYSIWYG

Is this also going to be the thread for user comments on the points under discussion in the committee?

If so, I first want to thank Cerin for raising some vital issues about the legality of this discussion - like she, I was satisfied by Voronwe's explanation of the difference between a Binding vote and a Charter amendment, but in general I had the same concerns she had, and was worried at the fact that no one seemed to think it necessary to look into these.

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Cerin
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 15 Sep , 2005 2:54 pm
Thanks to Holby

Hi, truehobbit! I haven't seen you around lately and I've missed you. :)

Yes, yes, yes!!! This is the member discussion thread. We need and desire input from the membership.

Alatar, could you put up a global announcement or something, to let people know this is being discussed and their input is vital, and to link them here to make their comments (which will then be incorporated in the Jury Room discussion)?

Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 15 Sep , 2005 2:56 pm
Living in hope

I think the thread title should be changed to make this clear that this is now the member discussion thread. :)

[ img ]

Fixer
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 15 Sep , 2005 3:04 pm
The Man who Knows his Tools

I have difficulty commenting on something that I have no knowledge of. I have inferences, references, and some membership, but nothing that I would use to have a serious conversation on the subject.

I shall wait until a decision is made, and perhaps a better description of what the group is, before I decide whether or not to participate further in discussions about ToE as my limited Internet legal expertise is not needed. I find myself waffling between whether or not even joining the group is a good idea, as I am willing to give advice on other people's sexual lives when asked but believe my own is for my own private pleasure, except where examples might be necessary and then I would be vague. If such a practice would be unwelcome there, I would best not join the group at all.

To me, ToE is some back room where things happen that I hear about but am not quite curious enough to go looking into most of the time. Kind of like that closet in your neighbor's house they never open.

[ img ]

The best measure of our accomplishments in life is not what goods we have accumulated or the recognition gained from actions we have performed, but what we leave for others who choose to follow the path we made for them.

Display: Sort by: Direction:
Locked   Page 3 of 20  [ 393 posts ]
Return to “Threads of Historical Interest” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 520 »
Jump to: