ToE access amendment discussion

Locked   Page 5 of 5  [ 88 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5
Cerin
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 16 Sep , 2005 5:41 pm
Thanks to Holby

ToshoftheWuffingas wrote:
To be fair to Nin, it was judgmentalism, not religion that I think she feared. We have religious people currently in ToE with no problem. It is a fact that some religious people are very judgmental and use their religion to justify it just as other religious people are tolerant. It is the intolerance not the religion that would be the problem.
Thank you, Tosh. Here is Nin's wording:
Quote:
The person is known to be a highly religious person, and several other persons fear that this new poster will introduce an element of judgement in ToE which has been so far carefully avoided.
It seems that Nin is saying that people fear this poster will be judgmental simply because they are highly religious. Of course, that may not be what she meant. I would consider it legitimate for someone to object to an applicant because they have shown judgmentalism, but not because they fear they might show judgmentalism due to being highly religious.

Thank you, Estel.

Would it be possible for you to underline, bold or color all the portions of the new proposal that are different, so that I don't miss anything? Shall I replace the proposal in the other thread with this one?

Everyone, may I ask that we continue the discussion in the other thread (that is, the BALLOT discussion thread in this forum)? This may involve some annoying copying and pasting initially to reply to things said here, but I think shortly it will make it much easier to refer to the changes in ideas as they develop.

Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 16 Sep , 2005 5:50 pm
Not so deep as a well

Quote:
I'm not sure this is necessary (that is, announcing a veto has been registered). I think the process can proceed with the posting of the name. But this is an interesting idea, I will include it in the other thread.
Thanks, Cerin.

The annoucement that someone has sent in a veto is for me a compromise of sorts between publically starting a thread...which has the bandwagon effect problem, for me...and acting in a vacuum. It is designed so that when a veto is announced, it does not come as a complete surprise. It also calls attention to the fact that someone in ToE has a problem with an applicant, which makes it less likely that someone will sneak by during a relative lull for lack of people being around (during, say, a moot or the Gathering) while not necessarily encouraging objection, one hopes.

Destiny is a rhythm track on which we must improvise.

In some cases, firing the drummer helps.

Cerin
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 16 Sep , 2005 5:55 pm
Thanks to Holby

Estel, please disregard my request to highlight your new proposal, if you haven't already done so. I believe I've picked out the areas of difference. I'll continue my comments in the Ballot discussion thread.

Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 16 Sep , 2005 6:21 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

I also believe Nin is being unfairly misinterpreted. For one, English is not her first language so you can't go analyzing it the same way you would with a native English speaker. The subtleties(sp?) won't be the same. I am in complete agreement with Tosh. I do not see Nin wanting to exclude a poster from ToE based on religious reasons. Rodia is a member of ToE and is a serious practicing Catholic. I don't see Nin having a problem with that. What she does have a problem with is people who harshly judge. That is the sort of person she is describing. I would bet the reason why religion came into her sentence is because the people she's personally run into that are like that may have been religious. That's it.

As to what thread the discussion is going on in, why do we have two different threads? This is confusing. What's the point of this one? If it has no more point, why hasn't it been locked?

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 16 Sep , 2005 6:25 pm
Not so deep as a well

I believe this thread is for more general discussion on the amendment, while the other is for purely textual matters.

Cerin
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 16 Sep , 2005 6:53 pm
Thanks to Holby

Ax, I think two threads will confuse and annoy people.

Alatar, will you please lock this thread, thanks.

Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 16 Sep , 2005 6:56 pm
Not so deep as a well

Ah...I misunderstood. No problem here. :)

Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 16 Sep , 2005 11:05 pm
of Vinyamar

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Display: Sort by: Direction:
Locked   Page 5 of 5  [ 88 posts ]
Return to “Threads of Historical Interest” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5
Jump to: