The Last Homely Site on the Web

ToE access amendment discussion

Locked   Page 4 of 5  [ 88 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »
Cerin
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 16 Sep , 2005 1:19 am
Thanks to Holby

If I'm not mistaken, that article wasn't formulated by the usual committee process, was it? Therefore, there was no means by which to arrive at an amendment through the normal mechanism of committee IRV votes.

Has there been an article presented by committee in this manner?

The options you are proposing are the kinds of options that we normally vote on in committee, in order to arrive at the finished article or amendment.

Voronwe, I would like to know why you think we should now abandon the process that resulted in our (IMO) admirable Charter, when it has served us so well in the past.

Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 16 Sep , 2005 1:27 am
Not so deep as a well

Article 6 predated Article 12, which is why the ToE discussions could take the form they did. The problems with them (having to have two votes to cover the issues springs to mind) are probably responsible for the restrictions in Article 12.

Destiny is a rhythm track on which we must improvise.

In some cases, firing the drummer helps.

Estel
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 16 Sep , 2005 1:47 am
Pure Kitsch Flavor

:neutral:

I don't deal with "my way or no way" type statements which I have found an abundance of in this thread, so I'm taking a day off. See you on Saturday.

I would try to think of another compromise, but really, what's the point.

Cerin
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 16 Sep , 2005 1:54 am
Thanks to Holby

Estel, no one is making 'my way or no way' type statements. The way we do this is, we put up a ballot with the various choices, and we each vote our choice. The results are then tabulated as an IRV, and the majority wins.

It isn't up to us to think of a compromise. It isn't up to us to reach a consensus. It is up to us to thoroughly discuss the issues, vote on the best possible set of options and accept the results of our vote.

And it doesn't help if committee members go off in a fit of 'my way or no way' pique. We've barely begun, and you already need a day off?

Estel
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 16 Sep , 2005 2:00 am
Pure Kitsch Flavor

You've barely begun Cerin. I've been debating this since the middle of July.

And I'm not going off in a fit. I am tired.

Do you think it's easy debating with people like you and Jnyusa? Christ, you guys are intelligent enough to make Einstein cry. What do you think is going to happen when someone like me has to debate this with you, when I've already been debating it for well over a month?

Cerin
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 16 Sep , 2005 2:28 am
Thanks to Holby

Estel wrote:
You've barely begun Cerin. I've been debating this since the middle of July.

And I'm not going off in a fit. I am tired.
Estel, I apologize for saying that (and thinking it).

Cerin
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 16 Sep , 2005 3:24 am
Thanks to Holby

There have been requests for Estel's proposal to be copied here, and so I am going to take the liberty of doing that (I'm copying it from the thread in ToE), the option that was the simplest and the one Axordil recommended. I hope this is ok and that I've got the right one. If not, I apologize, and please delete it, Alatar.

I. Duties of Rangers and Current Members of the Forum

A prospective member (mentioned from here as PVM) must PM a Ranger for admittance to the Thinking of England Fourm

The Ranger would then make a post in a permanent thread set up here for that purpose stating the PVM by name, and saying that the PVM has asked for entry.

The first post in this permanent thread would simply state Quote:
”The names listed in this thread are those of PVMs who have asked for admittance. The forum has 7 days, from the time the name is posted, to ask for a veto-vote. If one is not stated in a separate thread, the person will be allowed admittance.

Please do NOT state your wish for a veto-vote in this thread. This thread is read only except for Rangers.”

II Admittance

Entry to the forum as a full member would be automatic if no veto-vote took place.

III. Veto-Vote

If a current ToE poster has a problem with in incoming poster, then a veto-vote could be started in a new thread.

a. The new thread would simply say Quote:
“I am asking for a veto-vote of this poster” , and would include no explanations or reasons why.
b. There would have to be at least two people supporting the call for a veto-vote, before a poll could be added to the thread.
c. The post from the thread originator, and from the two supporting ToE members would be the only posts in the thread.
No discussion in the thread itself. If posters want to know the reason for the person wishing the veto-vote, it must be done through PM
d. A poll is added to the beginning of the thread, the options being Quote:
I have no opinion
Or
I do not want this person to be a member of the ToE

e. If the number of “No” votes exceeds 1/3 the number of members in the forum, then the PVM is denied access to the forum for three months and the veto-vote thread is saved to deleted thread storage for the same amount of time.
f. The PVM may reapply to be a member of the ToE after three months, and will have to go through the process again.
g. No person may be granted access to the forum automatically, unless they were already a full fledged member of the forum

Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 16 Sep , 2005 4:11 am
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

Cerin wrote:
Erunáme wrote:
The duty of the committee is to come up with a ballot that gives choices to the membership, not one choice that a few people feel is correct.
That just isn't correct! The committee has always come up with one Charter article that the membership discusses, controversial components removed and is voted up or down. Are we now rewriting history here?!
Pardon me. I was thinking about my experiences on the last committee. Though looking at the two past Charter ToE related votes:

http://www.phpbber.com/phpbb/viewtopic. ... um=board77
http://www.phpbber.com/phpbb/viewtopic. ... um=board77

we can see the membership was offered a variety of choices. I was not rewriting history.

A separate topic: I'm finding it increasingly difficult to read and become involved in these threads because, like Estel, I do see the "my way or no way" type statements and also I'm not able to handle the harsh and frankly nasty tone. I'm tired of becoming frustrated and quite angry after entering the ToE related threads. Is there no way we can get rid of the nasty vibe in here?

I apologize for bring this up, but I very much needed to get this out as there's little possibility of me becoming involved with the issues since I can't get deal the other stuff.

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 16 Sep , 2005 4:33 am

Cerin wrote:
The options you are proposing are the kinds of options that we normally vote on in committee, in order to arrive at the finished article or amendment.
You're right, Cerin. That's the approach we should take.

Eru, I don't think anyone is being nasty. Just being passionate about their views. There is nothing wrong with that, IMO.

Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 16 Sep , 2005 4:40 am
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

Fine then. Don't mind me. I'll chime in if I see anything I really can't stand on the ballot. It's not like I've ever been good at forumlating things so it doesn't matter much.

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Cerin
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 16 Sep , 2005 5:34 am
Thanks to Holby

It seems to me there is a lack of understanding here about how a Charter committee is supposed to work, which has given rise to these references to 'my way or no way' statements being made.

We aren't here to come up with some kind of compromise we can all agree to, or to reach some kind of consensus. We aren't here to agree with one another. We are here for vigorous discussion of the issues and potential options involved in a veto solution for ToE.

That means we say what we think about the situation, each one of us, and out of those thoughts come some ideas about how to deal with the situation, and out of those ideas a ballot or ballots are devised so that we in committee can choose between those options and thus formulate a Charter amendment for ratification by the membership.

I tell you, meaning no offense to anyone, I am sorely missing Jnyusa's leadership and organizational skills at the moment.

I am going to go back and try to find an old Charter Committee thread and review how she handled the development of ideas and ballots.

Edit

Please note I've started a separate thread so as to set out the ideas and proposals that have been offered thus far, for easier reference.

Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 16 Sep , 2005 8:38 am
Per aspera ad astra

I have just read through, and I thought of several cases in which someone might want to ask for a veto on a potential poster in ToE - and yet not be willing to share his reasons with the public.

Cerin, I was the one who requested most vocally "the not to debate persons in public" part of all ToE proposals. My memories of the invite threads are akward and painful, and I remember learning some information about persons I would have preferred not to know. I still stand to my opinion. I also think that sometimes for the person against whom the veto has been asked, it might be more elegant, more discrete, sometimes even more mercyful not to see his private life and behaviour discussed in public, even if this would give him/her the chance to defend him/herself.

Now for examples:
A poster asks for access to ToE. This poster used to be the boy-friend/girl-friend of another active poster in ToE, but since then, they are separated. The actively posting Ex has talked quite frankly about her new situation in ToE and does not want his/her applying Ex to know this. He/ she also remembers some preferences of her ex which were among the reasons that made him/her leave this relationship. Now, he/she has never made this public - because he/she did not want to ruin his/exes reputations and friendships of non-sexual nature. Do you really think it is fair to expect from this person to debate in public her present and past situation and details of her relationship?

Another reason for a veto, I could think of... A poster applies for ToE. The person is known to be a highly religious person, and several other persons fear that this new poster will introduce an element of judgement in ToE which has been so far carefully avoided. But then again, do you expect a poster standing up in a public thread saying: I don't want someone tell me I'll go to hell for a threesome (so that the whole board knows about it....)

If the reason to limit access to ToE is discretion and trust, this reason also applies for the vetos. Ther are things you don't want to tell everybody. Now, you can say in this case you should not have done them, or not talked about it at all - but do you never say things to your best friends which you would not say to your work colleagues? ToE is about creating a safe environnement. I don't see how this can be done by public unveiling of reasons for objections? I understand your argument, only I don't see how it can be done.

So, my opinion still goes for not debating reasons of a veto in any thread on the board. Those persons who wish to have more information could post in the thread a request for a PM with an explanation for the reason, and the originator and supporter of the veto answer this request. Maybe this would be a way to handle it. On the same hand, the applying candidate could ask for the name of those who requested the veto in order to contact them - but not in a public thread. I think that information of private nature about a person should only be given by this person and on his/her choice, and that regarding the nature of ToE the information which might lead to a veto is probably private.

I don't have the time (must pick up the orcs) to discuss the more technical aspects, and as I have stated before my posting time is severly limited due to several serious reasons.

My absence during the week-end is thus not to be interpreted as a way to bow out or to avoid discussion.

I also want to say that I fidn the tone of the discussion harsh and agressive, and have formulated this post in a more agressive way than I usually tend to do. I regret that there is so little comprehension for the nature of the discussion -and the simple fact, that not public does not at all necessarily mean equal. Some express themselves so much better that they would be advantaged in a discussion thread anyway.. like they are her.

Sometimes the necessity to unveil something publicly could also rather keep an active poster from asking for a veto and just make him vanish from ToE... Has any of you thought of this aspect?

Nichts Schöneres unter der Sonne als unter der Sonne zu sein.
(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 16 Sep , 2005 8:39 am
of Vinyamar

Cerin wrote:
I tell you, meaning no offense to anyone, I am sorely missing Jnyusa's leadership and organizational skills at the moment.
None taken. I did say that I would prefer not to lead the discussion and that I felt out of my depth. I felt the best way to handle the situation was to let thew discussion flow for a while and then try to pull it together if it started to vary too wildly. I don't think that has happened. Yet.

Eru, Estel, I don't believe Cerin is saying "my way or the highway". In fact, on a number of occasions she has stated that she will fight tooth and nail to have her way heard and that she will vote against any option that does not include accountability. That is her right. It is also the right of every member of this committee to outvote her if that;'s what they believe. I have no doubt that if Cerin is outvoted on this issue she will still stand firmly behind the proposal put to the members. That's the nature of democracy.

I would ask everyone to stop getting into personal battles and "Manweist" point by point arguments. Please try to concentrate on the subject at hand and not on our debating skills, vocabulary range or lack thereof.

*EDIT - I see Cerin has taken the mantle, for which I'm grateful.

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

ToshoftheWuffingas
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 16 Sep , 2005 9:40 am
Filthy darwinian hobbit

Like Nin, I can think of all sorts of scenarios that may not involve active fault from a prospective entrant or that might lead an objector to want to be protected. Just to take an example the child (over 18 to remove confusion) or a parent of a ToE poster may become eligible for entry and the poster would not wish their sex lives revealed. If that seems ridiculous I can easily think of others.
One stipulation has been raised that I have a problem with; that of banning discussion. It is in the nature of objections that they are of a personal nature. Say a female ToE poster has had flirtatious PM's from a board member that aren't welcome but aren't exactly harassment enough to make her want to complain to the Rangers. If the amorous poster wished to follow her to ToE would she be prevented from telling other ToE posters of her problem? If she couldn't she would be the only objector. She would have to leave the forum, deleting her posts and gutting threads. If for instance there had been no discussion here about Snowdog I would have been completely ignorant about the problem and I guess certainly a sizeable number of ToE members would have been too. My attitude throughout has been that if my fellow posters have a problem with someone then so do I. I suppose this is cliqueishness in some eyes but I see it as loyalty and preservation of the forum. I would see cliqueishness as not wanting new posters and that I definitely do.

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 16 Sep , 2005 2:17 pm
of Vinyamar

Cerin, would you mind taking over the lead on this discussion? I'm swamped and I don't think I can give it the time it deserves.

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 16 Sep , 2005 2:49 pm
Not so deep as a well

Nin--
Quote:
He/ she also remembers some preferences of her ex which were among the reasons that made him/her leave this relationship. Now, he/she has never made this public - because he/she did not want to ruin his/exes reputations and friendships of non-sexual nature.
I think saying things on ToE concerning a spouse or significant other who is not present has to be done very carefully, for this reason. It would be grossly unfair to attempt to penalize my wife, for example, for my indiscretion in talking about her in ToE. Far easier and more ethical to find my own offending posts and wipe them...or tell my wife I had talked about her in the first place.
Quote:
The person is known to be a highly religious person, and several other persons fear that this new poster will introduce an element of judgement in ToE which has been so far carefully avoided.
Keeping someone out of ToE on religious grounds is against the B77 charter. I hope no one would ever use that as an excuse.

Now: my objections to the scenarios you note DOESN'T mean I think reasons should have to be made public in a thread. Quite the opposite, for reasons I go into below.

Tosh--

The advantage of anonymous vetoing, whether in a ballot or an email, is that I DON'T know who is objecting, and thus, cannot make a judgment based on how much I trust their opinion. It HAS to be my own judgment if it is to be fair, for the simple reason that I know my friends, and they are not all the same. To be honest, there are people here whose judgment I would agree with implicitly on something like this, as you note, but there are also people whose judgment I am likely NOT to agree with, and it is unfair to them for me to judge their objection based on my expectations of them.

We MUST avoid a "bandwagon" effect at all costs, because some of us are more capable of generating one than others, whether our greivances are any more weighty or not.

All--
For this reason, I am leaning against ANY individual publically proclaiming a veto process. Let someone privately email the Administrator account, as with the Ranger objection process, and let it be announced that a veto has been registered (or more likely, several). Then the time limit et al kicks in, and ToE people can give their input to the Rangers, and what ensues, ensues.

BTW, would it not be prudent in all cases, to ease everyone's mind, that a ranger send a "receipt" for any such objection, be it ranger or ToE related?

EDIT to add: Obviously, if no explanation is ALLOWED, the threshold number should be lower.

Last edited by Axordil on Fri 16 Sep , 2005 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 16 Sep , 2005 2:54 pm
Not so deep as a well

Tosh--
In regards to your hypothetical situation, not to be a hard ass, but either they bother the recipient enough to do something about it, or they don't. If someone is sending me unwelcome PMs, and won't stop, I would report it, period. If they DO stop, then where's the problem?

Cerin
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 16 Sep , 2005 4:52 pm
Thanks to Holby

Nin wrote:
I have just read through, and I thought of several cases in which someone might want to ask for a veto on a potential poster in ToE - and yet not be willing to share his reasons with the public.
In my proposal, the reason isn't shared publicly. There is an explanation sent by email to the Administrator account.

Quote:
Cerin, I was the one who requested most vocally "the not to debate persons in public" part of all ToE proposals. My memories of the invite threads are akward and painful, and I remember learning some information about persons I would have preferred not to know.
This sentiment is one of the main ones driving my proposal! I find the idea odious, of publicly discussing someone who is not allowed to be part of the discussion. My proposal protects applicants to ToE from being publicly discussed, and even forbids private discussion of applicants (though this is unenforceable) during the consideration period.
Quote:
I also think that sometimes for the person against whom the veto has been asked, it might be more elegant, more discrete, sometimes even more mercyful not to see his private life and behaviour discussed in public, even if this would give him/her the chance to defend him/herself.

Absolutely. I would ask that you consider the elegance, the discretion and the mercy of what I have proposed. Each ToE member is individually required to assess the applicant in their own conscience, each individual ToE member would privately communicate their objection to Administrator. I believe this is the most merciful of the proposals.

Quote:
The actively posting Ex has talked quite frankly about her new situation in ToE and does not want his/her applying Ex to know this. He/ she also remembers some preferences of her ex which were among the reasons that made him/her leave this relationship. Now, he/she has never made this public - because he/she did not want to ruin his/exes reputations and friendships of non-sexual nature. Do you really think it is fair to expect from this person to debate in public her present and past situation and details of her relationship?
First, according to my proposal, this person does not have to debate in public her present and past situation and details of her relationship. All she has to to is send an email to administrator saying, 'I object to applicant X because I used to be intimate with him and I'm uncomfortable for him to see what I've said on ToE' (or whatever she wants to say). There is no one to review her objection for merit, it stands as an objection to be counted and that is all anyone ever need know about it. If there are a certain number of other objections independently received (the number hasn't been settled), that person will be denied access. If there are not that number of other objections independently received, that person will gain access to ToE and the former girlfriend will have to decide how she wants to deal with that, perhaps by deleting some posts. This balances the rights of the applicant against the rights of the ToE member.

Your example, though, touches on the heart of my objection to any veto for ToE, and why I may have to ultimately vote against any amendment this committee puts out. It creates two classes of poster here, where one is members of ToE (who became such by virtue of the fact that we were a closed board so a certain atmosphere of trust was able to flourish in that forum) and the others are all the members who will join after the opening of the board. That second group will be a permanent underclass, because their rights and needs are to be perpetually put below the rights and needs of pre-opening ToE members. In the example you gave, simply by virtue of the fact that she was a member when we were closed, the woman's feelings and right to post frankly about her sexual concerns is put above the new member's need, desire and right to do so.

Now at least in my proposal, with objections being made independently and privately, I think there is more of a balance between the interests of the current ToE member and the interests of the applicant, whereas with the other proposals where objections are made on a thread in ToE, you would have the bandwagon effect of people supporting the objection because the woman is their friend.

Quote:
A poster applies for ToE. The person is known to be a highly religious person, and several other persons fear that this new poster will introduce an element of judgement in ToE which has been so far carefully avoided. But then again, do you expect a poster standing up in a public thread saying: I don't want someone tell me I'll go to hell for a threesome (so that the whole board knows about it....)
Another excellent example. I don't believe a person should be excluded from ToE because of their religious views. What a prime example of discrimination and prejudice, what a clear example of a violation of our underlying principles! Yet in the name of sensitivity to people who joined ToE before we were opened, we are perfectly willing to sanction this kind of discrimination.

That's why I thought there should be some kind of guiding language in the amendment, such as I originally proposed, i.e., a person known to have broken trust in the use of personal information, or as Ax proposed, some mention of a pattern of harrassing conduct, or both. This notion that ToE members should have the right to object to someone because of their religious views, it is just detestable to me. It isn't right on a supposedly open board that supposedly treats all members equally and with equal respect. It is respecting the feelings of one person above the rights of another. I think I will work on composing some additional text that sets some kind of standard for objections, because I think this is just horrible.

But let me say that at least according to my proposal, the person objecting to an applicant because of a fear of judgmentalism due to their religious views would privately email that concern to Administrator. If nine other (if we settled on the number of 10 objections to deny access) ToE members independently objected to this person, it seems more likely that their objections aren't based on prejudice against the person because of their religious beliefs, but on some other indication that their conduct would be objectionable. This is the value of objections being made privately. If there is really a problem with a poster, it is likely to show up in the number of independent objections (as opposed to being the result of a bandwagon kind of vote on the forum).
Quote:
I understand your argument, only I don't see how it can be done.

Nin, I don't think you understand my argument. I am arguing that applicants to ToE not be discussed publicly. I am arguing that objections to applicants gaining access to ToE not be made publicly. The answer, though, isn't that people shouldn't have to explain their objection to an applicant -- that would be like being arrested and sent to prison without knowing the charges brought against you. That is flat out wrong. There is nothing about that that is even remotely justifiable. The answer is to collect the objections privately. They needn't be detailed, they just have to cite a reason why a person isn't comfortable with someone becoming a member of ToE. And their religion isn't a legitimate reason, IMO.

Quote:
So, my opinion still goes for not debating reasons of a veto in any thread on the board.

I agree.

Quote:
Those persons who wish to have more information could post in the thread a request for a PM with an explanation for the reason, and the originator and supporter of the veto answer this request.

That is the worst possible scenario in my view. No reasons given on the forum, but gossip flourishing behind the scenes. Surely that isn't where we want to go.

Alatar wrote:
I have no doubt that if Cerin is outvoted on this issue she will still stand firmly behind the proposal put to the members. That's the nature of democracy.
Actually, Alatar, I think the nature of democracy is that I will vote my conscience on the amendment ratification just like every other member. Certainly as a committee member I will accept whatever amendment we end up with as a legitimately derived, but putting the amendment forward is not the end of the democratic process. The ratification vote is the end of that process. I will be vocally opposed to any amendment that I see as violating our underlying principles, and that would include an amendment that didn't require ToE members to privately state a reason why they are objecting to an applicant. This is a fundamental concept of justice, fairness, responsibility and accountability to me.

I'm not sure I could even continue as a member of b77 knowing that we have a forum that people can be denied access to because the members of that forum are averse to someone's religious beliefs. That isn't the kind of board I would want to be associated with. That would mean that we had elevated the feelings and rights of a certain class of poster over the rights of other posters out of all proportion, reason and degree.

That's why I'm so upset about all this. It may mean a change that I am not able to deal with, just as the outcome may determine changes that ToE members are not able to deal with. I wonder if in the end more harm will be done by trying to keep a private forum on a public board espousing principles of equality, respect and openness, than would be done by moving that forum off the board? I guess that's something we'll never know.

ToshoftheWuffingas wrote:
Like Nin, I can think of all sorts of scenarios that may not involve active fault from a prospective entrant or that might lead an objector to want to be protected.
And this is where we draw the line, IMO. Are ToE members so much more important than everyone else?

No, the objection must involve fault by the prospective entrant, just as the provision for vetoing a Ranger requires a complaint of fault. Otherwise, take ToE off b77 and make it private. I do not see this as reconcilable.

Quote:
If the amorous poster wished to follow her to ToE would she be prevented from telling other ToE posters of her problem? If she couldn't she would be the only objector. She would have to leave the forum, deleting her posts and gutting threads.
This is a good point. I included the idea of prohibiting private discussion so that people wouldn't solicit supporting objections behind the scenes for personal reasons that don't involve misconduct by the applicant. Perhaps I could amend the wording to include the importance of publicly sharing any knowledge of sexual misconduct on the part of the applicant.
Quote:
I suppose this is cliqueishness in some eyes but I see it as loyalty and preservation of the forum.
Yes, at the expense of the ideals of the board, in my view.

I apologize to everyone who is made uncomfortable by my aggressive posting style. I am very upset by this situation, as are so many of you. You are fighting to keep your forum as it is, I am fighting to keep b77 the place I understood it to be. I'm not sure both can be accomplished, I'm really not.

Yes, Alatar, I'll do my best to keep the discussion going and the ideas organized. I will use the other thread I started to collect revised ideas and the ballot as it develops, so eveyone please remember to check it. Alternatively, we could just continue the discussion over there. What do people think?

Axordil wrote:
It would be grossly unfair to attempt to penalize my wife, for example, for my indiscretion in talking about her in ToE. Far easier and more ethical to find my own offending posts and wipe them...or tell my wife I had talked about her in the first place.
Thank you, Ax, from the bottom of my heart.

Quote:
Let someone privately email the Administrator account, as with the Ranger objection process, and let it be announced that a veto has been registered (or more likely, several). Then the time limit et al kicks in, and ToE people can give their input to the Rangers, and what ensues, ensues.
I'm not sure this is necessary (that is, announcing a veto has been registered). I think the process can proceed with the posting of the name. But this is an interesting idea, I will include it in the other thread.

Quote:
BTW, would it not be prudent in all cases, to ease everyone's mind, that a ranger send a "receipt" for any such objection, be it ranger or ToE related?

I'm not sure I follow. What would the receipt be? Who would receive it?

Quote:
EDIT to add: Obviously, if no explanation is ALLOWED, the threshold number should be lower.
Why would this be? I would think that if no explanation is allowed, the threshold number should be very high?

ToshoftheWuffingas
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 16 Sep , 2005 5:23 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

To be fair to Nin, it was judgmentalism, not religion that I think she feared. We have religious people currently in ToE with no problem. It is a fact that some religious people are very judgmental and use their religion to justify it just as other religious people are tolerant. It is the intolerance not the religion that would be the problem.

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Estel
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 16 Sep , 2005 5:25 pm
Pure Kitsch Flavor

I am starting to understand a little bit where Cerin is coming from. Not completely ;) but a little. Therefore, I would change this:
Quote:

A prospective member (mentioned from here as PVM) must PM a Ranger for admittance to the Thinking of England Fourm

The Ranger would then make a post in a permanent thread set up here for that purpose stating the PVM by name, and saying that the PVM has asked for entry.

The first post in this permanent thread would simply state Quote:
”The names listed in this thread are those of PVMs who have asked for admittance. The forum has 7 days, from the time the name is posted, to ask for a veto-vote. If one is not stated in a separate thread, the person will be allowed admittance.

Please do NOT state your wish for a veto-vote in this thread. This thread is read only except for Rangers.”

II Admittance

Entry to the forum as a full member would be automatic if no veto-vote took place.

III. Veto-Vote

If a current ToE poster has a problem with in incoming poster, then a veto-vote could be started in a new thread.

a. The new thread would simply say Quote:
“I am asking for a veto-vote of this poster” , and would include no explanations or reasons why.
b. There would have to be at least two people supporting the call for a veto-vote, before a poll could be added to the thread.
c. The post from the thread originator, and from the two supporting ToE members would be the only posts in the thread.
No discussion in the thread itself. If posters want to know the reason for the person wishing the veto-vote, it must be done through PM
d. A poll is added to the beginning of the thread, the options being Quote:
I have no opinion
Or

e. If the number of “No” votes exceeds 1/3 the number of members in the forum, then the PVM is denied access to the forum for three months and the veto-vote thread is saved to deleted thread storage for the same amount of time.
f. The PVM may reapply to be a member of the ToE after three months, and will have to go through the process again.
g. No person may be granted access to the forum automatically, unless they were already a full fledged member of the forum

To this:
Quote:

The first post in this permanent thread would simply state:
Quote:

II. Admittance

III. Veto-Vote

a. The new thread would simply say:
Quote:
I am asking for a veto-vote of this poster”
and would include a consise one to two sentence explanation of the reasons.

b. There would have to be at least two people supporting the call for a veto-vote, who also give a consise one to two sentence explanation of the reasons, before a poll could be added to the thread.

No discussion in the thread itself and no discussion through PM - both would be forbidden.

d. A poll is added to the beginning of the thread, with both options being:
Quote:
e. If the number of “No” votes exceeds 10, including the three originals, then the PVM is denied access to the forum for three to six months and the veto-vote thread is saved to deleted thread storage for the same amount of time.

f. A Ranger will PM the PVM, telling them that their access has been denied, and the reasons why. At least one of the three original must be willing to have their name and reasons included in the PM, but it is best if all three are willing.

g. The PVM may reapply to be a member of the ToE after three to six months, and will have to go through the process again.

h. No person may be granted access to the forum automatically, unless they were previously a full fledged member of the forum who had no complaints about their behavior in the forum on record.

This way, the ToE knows that there is a veto-vote going on. The prospective member is given a reason why they were denied access, and the persons who initiated and supported the veto-vote know that they have to own their decision and take responsibility for it to the PVM.

I would say that there could be a clause added about current ToE members being able to be veto-voted out of the forum.

Firstly, I think this is a completely different issue. This is something that would cause a change in the rules of the existing charter rather than adding to those rules as we are doing now. It is therefore something that would need to be brought up under a second committee as a second issue.

Secondly, I feel that they would have to have their permissions removed if this were the case. If a thread was started and a current member saw it, they might feel the need to maliciously copy posts outside the forum and attempt to cause pain for many people in the forum.

On the other hand, having a boardwide "public" trial for a member of the ToE about the ToE (as we have now) could have negative repercussions as well. Information from the ToE may have to be used in such a trial, in which case, non-ToE members are seeing private information that they have chosen not to see, or are not yet eligible to see.

I would not object to this issue being brought up in a seperate committee in a seperate thread, if Cerin feels that it is necessary to make this particular case a more equal one for both old members and new.

Display: Sort by: Direction:
Locked   Page 4 of 5  [ 88 posts ]
Return to “Threads of Historical Interest” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »
Jump to: