board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web
It is currently Wed 15 Aug , 2018 5:27 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ] 

Regarding keeping people out of the Thinking of England forum, do you favor a system that
Requires explanations from ToE members as to why they want to keep someone out of the forum 70%  70%  [ 19 ]
Does not require explanations from ToE members as to why they want to keep someone out of the forum 30%  30%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 27
PostPosted: Wed 21 Sep , 2005 10:44 pm 
Thanks to Holby

We're trying to get an idea of how people feel about this.

Last edited by Cerin on Wed 21 Sep , 2005 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 21 Sep , 2005 11:01 pm 
Seeking my nitid muliebrity

Wow, Cerin... a threefer!!!

:Wooper:

I have knee-jerk answers to all three of these questions, but I should probably peruse the Jury Room stuff first to see what some of the arguments are.

Many times people have very good insights that I have never considered.

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 22 Sep , 2005 12:24 am 
Pure Kitsch Flavor

Please be aware that this poll is actually 4 to 3.

I misunderstood the question as it was not clearly worded and thus answered it wrong.

Now that your rose is in bloom, a light hits the gloom on the grey.
- Seal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 22 Sep , 2005 12:42 am 
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

Are you asking that every single ToE member that objects to a new member joining has to give a reason if it comes to a poll?

Are you talking about a poll or a veto?

Are you talking about A members need to give specific reasons before a poll should be taken?

Are you talking about B members do not need to give specific reasons before a poll should be taken?

Are you talking about C members need to give specific reasons before an automatic veto should be made without a poll?

Are you talking about D members do not need to give specific reasons before an automatic veto should be made without a poll?

And who exactly requires the explanations? The ToE forum, the main forum, a Ranger, the proposed new member? And is this direct from the posters themselves or as a statement from a Ranger with non-attribution as to the source(s)?

I don't see how anyone can vote in this straw poll without more specifics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 22 Sep , 2005 1:04 am 
Not so deep as a well

Lidless:

No, it doesn't have to be more specific than that. We're looking for general parameters first and foremost, and one of those is explanation/no explanation.

This is NOT a ballot vote...it's an opinion poll, designed to ask exactly what it asks.

In some cases, firing the drummer helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 22 Sep , 2005 2:29 am 
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

But my answer depends on whether the proposed member gets to hear the specific objections, and who made them.

A timid ToE member may have the guts to object to a Ranger over a valid point, but not to have the proposed member know it was them.

Personally, I think cutting someone from ToE is such a serious business that accountability dictates that a complaint should have an autograph.

Others may think that non-confrontational ToE members will be unfairly marginalized if that autograph is known to the proposed member.

In other words, for some, their answer will depend on whether the attribution will be made known to the proposed ToE member.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 22 Sep , 2005 6:01 am 
Thanks to Holby

Thank you! and 'bump'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 22 Sep , 2005 6:45 am 
Takoyaki is love

Well I was thinking only certain potentially dangerous people should be kept off. But for most people party on!!!!

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 22 Sep , 2005 6:51 am 
Takoyaki is love

I think really what poll we need is whthere people want ToE to exist or not. That seems to be what the real question is. If they do (and I think many people do) I think then people will regard these questions with a new light.

Think about these questions. Your answers can really result in the forum continuing or not. Many of these if going the more open route will result in toE not existing so for those who want to actually join, think it over.

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 22 Sep , 2005 9:43 am 
The man, the myth, the monkey

My answer to the question, as it is worded, would be, "It depends."
Not very helpful, I know, but the question is just so damn vague that it's the best I can do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 22 Sep , 2005 1:45 pm 
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

My question is this:

Why do the ToE members get to decide who joins and who doesn't? IOW, why do the ToE members get to say, "We don't want this person in here"? Someone can PM me the response if it shouldn't be discussed publicly. (I believe that I'm aware of one situation that was being discussed as a hypothetical.)

I thought it was an open forum to anyone over the age of 18.

For now, my answer is:

None of the above. The members of ToE should NOT decide who gets in and who doesn't. It should be open to anyone over the age of consent. If someone entering the forum begins to behave in an unacceptable manner, then you proceed from there, as you have outlined for other parts of the board.

Lali

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 22 Sep , 2005 2:08 pm 
Filthy darwinian hobbit

Lalaith, I am only aware of one situation and it is definitely not hypothetical. There is in fact an urgency to these deliberations. The trouble is that once inside, the damage is done, it's too late then. If a decision were made to allow known troublemakers access to the forum the entire forum would fold immediately after mass deletions of posts long before that person got in. I would like to say again that we want the new people to come in, there's no feeling of 'does this one measure up, maybe that one doesn't' . There are no hurdles to jump other than an initial chance to get to know you. That said, the posters there need to feel safe and if you post there too I would want you to feel safe too.

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 22 Sep , 2005 2:11 pm 
Thanks to Holby

Thank you, Lalaith. May I suggest you view tolkienpurist's post at the end of the Business Room ToE discussion thread, just for insight. I think between your view just stated here and hers there, are the two extremes we are attempting to deal with here.

I would just answer your question in this way -- there needs to be a mechanism for keeping people out who have already demonstrated that they cannot be trusted with the kind of sensitive information that is revealed in that forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 22 Sep , 2005 6:20 pm 
Thanks to Holby

Begging your indulgence, and a big 'thank-you' to those who have participated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 23 Sep , 2005 7:01 am 
Thanks to Holby

One more 'bump'. Thanks to everyone who participated!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 23 Sep , 2005 6:44 pm 
WYSIWYG

Wilma wrote:
Well I was thinking only certain potentially dangerous people should be kept off. But for most people party on!!!!

Wilma, the problem is to know who is "potentially dangerous" - plus, you can't condemn anyone before they've actually committed a crime!

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]