Mayor Issues

Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 23 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 »
LalaithUrwen
Post subject: Mayor Issues
Posted: Sat 21 Jan , 2006 5:21 am
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

Guys,

Eru is obviously going through some tough times and says she can't continue as Mayor right now.

What do we do? Anything in particular or just sort of take up the slack when we see it?

Please tell me this won't involve some long, drawn-out process....

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 21 Jan , 2006 5:24 am
Another bright red day

I have no idea, Lali, but I would love to let her stop being Mayor.
Perhaps we can delegate duties among us until we find a replacement?

I really hope there's no long drawn out process. Couldn't she appoint someone to take over?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 21 Jan , 2006 5:52 am

I'm open to sharing the responsibility till a replacement can be found. Other than that, I really don't know what to do or what can "legally" be done, or whether we can just take over for a while. I'd hate to see this become something lengthy and complicated.

Perhaps some other, more experienced (:) ) Rangers will know a good solution, since I don't.

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 21 Jan , 2006 5:58 am
Another bright red day

The Charter wrote:
The Mayor may have time periods when he/she cannot be on the board regularly, and may seek assistance from the Rangers by giving them advanced notice of the tasks that must be performed during that time period.
She's given us notice and said that all of the tasks need to be taken over. I don't see why that wouldn't do for now, and we can go about finding another Mayor later.

I do hope someone else knows of a good solution. I'm not sure what to do, either.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 21 Jan , 2006 6:22 pm

It is a long drawn out process to elect a new mayor:
Quote:
¶4: Elections

Elections will be held once a year according to the following schedule:

• On July 20, the current Mayor will post an announcement that the nomination period will begin in 30 days.
• On August 19, a 10 day nomination period will begin, extending through August 28.
• When the nomination period concludes, an election committee will be convened and a ten day voting period will begin on September 3.
• The voting will conclude on September 12.
• The new Mayor will be inaugurated on September 22.

During the nomination period, an individual member may nominate or second one candidate only.

The Election committee will be a three-person committee headed by the current Mayor. The current Mayor will select two individuals that she or he believes to be reliable, and together they will oversee the voting process, including counting the votes and announcing the results. No one who is a candidate for Mayor may be a member of the committee. One Ranger will be assigned to the committee to facilitate processes requiring access to the administrative panel, however the Ranger will not participate in committee proceedings.

The vote will be conducted by secret ballot submitted by PM or email, using instant runoff format if there are more than two candidates and with each voter listing their top three choices in order of preference. The current Mayor will vote first and convey his/her vote by PM to any Ranger who is not him/herself a candidate, so that in the event of a tie the vote already cast by the Mayor will count a second time as the deciding vote.

Members serving as Rangers at the time of the election may run for Mayor, but must resign as Rangers if they are elected.

¶5 Grounds and Procedure for removing an Elected Official from office

The Mayor may have time periods when he/she cannot be on the board regularly, and may seek assistance from the Rangers by giving them advanced notice of the tasks that must be performed during that time period.

However, if the Rangers must use their administrative powers to enter the threads of Michel Delving or the Outside Forum on five separate occasions on an emergency basis because the Mayor, through negligence and without giving advance warning of his/her absence, has failed to do any of the following in timely fashion:
• schedule Ranger terms of office;
• advise Rangers of an expiring penalty in advance of its expiration;
• update the Jury Pool;
• resolve member objections so that a volunteer can enter the Ranger pool;
• send out eligibility notifications within two weeks of eligibility or member greetings within two weeks of activation;
• provide authorization for a member to represent the board in dealings with the public;
• convene any committee for which the Mayor is responsible;
• make the necessary announcements for elections;
the Rangers may convene a Hearing to remove the Mayor from office. A majority of current Rangers must agree that this is necessary.

The Rangers must convene a Hearing to remove the Mayor or any other elected official under the following circumstances:
• the elected official deserts the board and cannot be contacted for a period of 30 days;
• the elected official reveals private information obtained from members as a result of their office;
• the elected uses the board to boast about criminal behaviors and/or encourage other posters to engage in them.
I couldn't find any procedure for dealing with if the mayor quits, or even replacing one who has been removed. :scratch: I suppose we'd just have to follow the outline for electing one, and we cope with her tasks until that is completed. We don't have to follow the exact dates, though! In my opinion.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 21 Jan , 2006 6:42 pm

Our most pressing task will be to ask the next ones on the list if they can be rangers on Feb 1. I'll send them a PM.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 21 Jan , 2006 8:07 pm

Sounds good. Thanks, Maria.

Yeah, I don't think the process exactly applies because she has simply said she can't do it anymore. As I see it, then, we'll take over the administrative tasks till (a) a replacement can be elected or (b) the board comes up with some other solution (e.g., not having a Mayor at all and having the Rangers assume those responsibilities, etc.).

A year is a long time to expect anyone to be in charge of all of this stuff, imo. If all of us didn't have RL issues to deal with or if someone had a job that was conducive to lots of online time, then that would be a different story.

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 22 Jan , 2006 3:49 pm

She says she just needs a break for a while- so we need to schedule an election, I guess. http://www.phpbber.com/phpbb/viewtopic. ... d77#201257

[ img ]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 23 Jan , 2006 2:50 pm

Before we do that maybe we should check to see where the simplification committee is on things. I know that the mayor stuff was something they were looking into changing. (Or did they decide to table that for later?) I will send a PM to TED and ask. If they are nowhere close to making changes, then I suppose we should start an election for mayor.

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 23 Jan , 2006 2:58 pm

Weird! I left a key word out of my previous post! I meant to say, we *don't* need to schedule an election. :roll: I feel stupid.

Moonfariegalena just said yes to ranger duty! Woooo Hooo! Am continuing down the list for the second person.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 23 Jan , 2006 3:36 pm

:oops: Oops! Well, I'm fine with that. (More than fine with that, actually!) I'll let TED know to disregard my PM.

And, yay, for Moonfaeriegalena!

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Lhaewin
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 25 Jan , 2006 11:03 pm

I haven´t been around a lot at the weekend and only just now found all that about Eru. :oops:

I hope that we don´t have to go through a new election process because we might get long discussions because of the upcoming simplification.

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Oscar Wilde

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 26 Jan , 2006 7:01 pm

I'm still sending out ranger duty queries one at a time. I'm down to Griff now, on the list. I'm taking no response in 2 days as a negative. This could take a while. If I'm not done by the time the 1st rolls around, you guys can take over! :P

[ img ]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 27 Jan , 2006 12:43 am

Just let us know, Maria. :)

Lhaewin, I think we've decided to just take over Eru's responsibilities for now, till she returns or someone requests that we elect a new Mayor.

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 27 Jan , 2006 12:49 am
Another bright red day

Quick question regarding terms . . . Jn left early, so one of us started a month early. Does that mean someone's term actually goes until April? (If so, I'm happy to do the extra month. Just wondering.)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 27 Jan , 2006 12:56 am
Another bright red day

I just logged into *alandriel* to try and request a backup re the moving to our own server discussion. I clicked on "Backup Database," as that seemed the logical thing to do, and was informed that this feature had been disabled and to contact an administrator to get a back up.

So, my question is: Which administrator, and how?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 27 Jan , 2006 1:36 am

I'm sorry, Mossy. I don't have a clue. :(

(I don't even know when or if I should be checking some sort of email account. ???)

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Lhaewin
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 27 Jan , 2006 2:13 pm

Mossy, it was me who has been asked to start my Ranger term a month earlier and it will expire by the end of March.

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Oscar Wilde

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 27 Jan , 2006 2:31 pm

MaidenOfTheShieldarm wrote:
I just logged into *alandriel* to try and request a backup re the moving to our own server discussion. I clicked on "Backup Database," as that seemed the logical thing to do, and was informed that this feature had been disabled and to contact an administrator to get a back up.

So, my question is: Which administrator, and how?
They are probably talking about the phpbber.com site administrators. You can communicate with them at the technical support forum http://www.phpbber.com/support/viewforu ... faa7b7080d

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 31 Jan , 2006 2:33 pm

Well, it's my last day, and I haven't found another ranger for the next term yet. On the Ranger pool list, I just got a "not right now" answer from Estel, so Leoba's next on the list, whoever takes over the asking task.

It's quite possible we don't need 5 rangers active at once. You guys might want to split it up into two and two instead of three and two, if anyone would want to extend their term to match Moonfarie's time in office.

:shrug:

Whatever...... it's your decision now, people. :) De-admin me whenever it's convenient today and don't forget to change all the passwords afterwards. :)

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 23 posts ]
Return to “Threads of Historical Interest” | Jump to page 1 2 »
Jump to: