board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Invite time frames(tied, so exec decision for 9 days!)

Post Reply   Page 1 of 4  [ 79 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 3 4 »
What's the minimum amount of days an invitation thread should run?
Poll ended at Wed 26 Jan , 2005 4:46 am
7 days

48% [ 14 ]
10 days

52% [ 15 ]
Total votes: 29
Eruname
Post subject: Invite time frames(tied, so exec decision for 9 days!)
Posted: Mon 24 Jan , 2005 4:23 am
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

In a thread, it was agreed by some that 10 days was a good period to let votes go on, that way everyone would get their shot of adding their voice to the discussion.

I (and Berhael) were wondering if maybe this could be discussed a bit more because we do have cases where it doesn't seem like we need that long. Sometimes there will be people that immediately get lots of yes votes quickly and there's obviously no negativity about inviting the person. We've had it in the past where it seemed like we were waiting around for the 10-day mark to come so we could finally invite the person.

Do any of you think we could ammend this process a bit? Maybe a 5-7 day voting period which could be extended to a longer period if there is serious debate going on?

Last edited by Eruname on Sun 06 Feb , 2005 1:16 am, edited 5 times in total.

Profile Quote
Griffon64
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 24 Jan , 2005 5:25 am
Garrulous Griffon

Perhaps 5-7 days won't be too short but we must also remember, the period was put in place to allow people who don't visit often to also have their say. It is hard to say at what stage the time period has been long enough for all the B77'ers to see the invite and voice their opinion. I think whatever period we decide on should just be advertised properly and stuck with. After all, if you know an invite runs 5 days, or 7, or 10, then it becomes your responsibility to check in at least every x days to check on the invite process!

moment's hurt may harm or scar
but not inert nor beaten are
those who look and see afar
the healing hand of morning's star.

Profile Quote
Rodia
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 24 Jan , 2005 8:38 am

That's true. I think when we do invite someone and they know they're being voted on, we should give them the exact date of when they'll be informed. Ten days sometimes feels long. I know I have no sense of time...

[ img ]
Help me go to the North Pole! by Magic Madzik, on Flickr

TRYING TO GET TO THE NORTH POLE! You can help by voting: http://www.blogyourwaytothenorthpole.com/entries/244

Profile Quote
Dindraug
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 24 Jan , 2005 8:48 am
Tricksy Elf!

I still think 10 days, but I would suggest if we drop to say 7 days we decide to hold out that little bit more if anybody says 'no', just for debates sake.

'When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from delusion, it is called Religion'.

~Robert M. Pirsig

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 24 Jan , 2005 9:10 am
Troubadour of Ithilien

Dropping to 7 days could pose a problem for anyone away on holiday for a week or just immersed in heavy-duty exams! Keep it to 10 and only those people lucky enough to jet off for a long break will have cause for concern.

Whatever the case, it needs to be the same rule for all, regardless of how inoffensive the individual may be. 10 days is not long at all in the grand scheme of things.

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 24 Jan , 2005 10:44 am
Milk and kisses

I think that a minimum of 7 days is ok - I think that if someone is really worried about a particular individual being invited, either their friends know about it (and can inform everyone else), or they will check carefully the invites forum. 10 days feels too long when someone doesn't have any "no" votes against them, although I fully agree that the voting period must be extended when there are doubts or "no"s.

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
Maeglin
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 24 Jan , 2005 1:36 pm

A n00b question most likely, but the moment someone is approved, or disaproved, does the thread disapear? Or does it remain to be seen for the person allowed?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Griffon64
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 24 Jan , 2005 2:24 pm
Garrulous Griffon

It goes into the attic, Maeg - so yes, it does "disappear" :mrgreen:

moment's hurt may harm or scar
but not inert nor beaten are
those who look and see afar
the healing hand of morning's star.

Profile Quote
Maeglin
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 24 Jan , 2005 3:22 pm

Good good, as i am one of those "easily offended"people and if i would be allowed in, but would read others didnt wanted me, i would somehow not feel to welcome. That is why i wondered, thanks for the explanation.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Sunsilver
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 24 Jan , 2005 6:32 pm

Noobie question here: if you would like to invite someone to join, how do you go about it? Do you ask them first if they'd be interested, then just post a poll?

(I'd like to invite Star of Hope/Tigger to join!) :)

Edit: Hi, Maeglin! Good to see ya! :D

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 24 Jan , 2005 6:48 pm
Milk and kisses

Sunsilver, they way we've gone about this was: in some cases, we asked the person if they'd like to join, then posted an invite thread here. In other cases, we did the invite consultation before asking that person, to make sure that most people here would want to have that person before saying anything. So... just go with your instincts, I guess. :)

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 24 Jan , 2005 6:49 pm
Troubadour of Ithilien

EDIT: Darn - Ber beat me to it! :P

It depends how well you know the person / how much they know about this place already / whether you reckon they'd be interested in posting here etc etc. as to whether you want to say upfront: "well there's this MB I'd like to invite you to, but you'll have to wait ten days to see if you're blackballed". It's your choice really. :)

As for what to tell them - Farawen's intro thread (a comprehensive guide) is not a bad place to pillage a summary from.

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 24 Jan , 2005 6:52 pm
Milk and kisses

I beat you to it, but your post makes much more sense than mine. :mrgreen:

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 24 Jan , 2005 7:03 pm
WYSIWYG

I think that 7 days is a minimum, 10 are better, though I'd be fine with a week, too.

Sure, when there are no contradictions to a person at all it feels like you could just as well go ahead and invite them, but there's always the possibility that the one with the serious objection just hasn't had time to check.

Of course we can't take care to include everyone who happens to be away for a longer time, but anything under 7 days seems too much of a pressure to check invites all the time because there's such a hurry.

So, as a compromise a week sounds good - post a "last call" or so on the 7th day (hehe, sounds dramatic, somehow :mrgreen: ), and close the poll the next day.

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 24 Jan , 2005 10:05 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

I like the 10 days .......

but I can easily live with a 7 days if there are no No's. In case of 'serious' reservations we've had the threads put off - and for more than 10 days and I think that should also remain so.
I kind of would like to see a case on case basis but I realize that's not really possible for it's not fair. Seven days (depending how they fall) might be cumbersome if someone goes away for a week and the voting falls on those exact dates - but some things are just tough luck.

If you want to really nail down the issue 10 versus 7 days then maybe start a poll. Simple majority rule wins ;)
(so long as the poll runs for minimum 10... erm... 7 days :halo: ;) )

Profile Quote
Lidless
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 24 Jan , 2005 10:23 pm
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

Sunny,

*So* good to see you.

PS - Leoba, it's nobody's business but mine and Estel as to whether I'm blackballed, OK?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 25 Jan , 2005 3:02 am
One of the Bronte Sisters

If prospective members know that their invitations are being discussed, and we also intend to give ourselves an extra three days for discussion when the outcome is less certain, we should tell everyone that the process takes 7 to 10 days depending on how busy everyone is, so that a longer wait does not make it obvious to the prospective member that there was disagreement about their acceptance.

Jn

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 25 Jan , 2005 4:49 am
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

I've added a poll. I think Jn's idea of letting people know it could take 7-10 days for the process to take place is a good idea. That way when we see a person who is quickly having an overwhelming amount of yeses, we can go ahead and get them in here....even if there were a dissenting voice, if 20 people have voted yes and only 1 no, the person is getting in regardless if we wait 3 more days. I think a week is an acceptable amount of time for people to remember to check in here. If you're on vacation, well, that's what happens...you tend to miss out on things when you're away in general.

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 25 Jan , 2005 2:21 pm
One of the Bronte Sisters

I voted for the 7-day as a typical length of time, but I will say (as insistently as I can) that we should TELL invitees that it can take up to 10 days. Then all of the surprises will be good ones, from the invitees point of view.

Jn

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 25 Jan , 2005 4:23 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

I've also voted for the 7 days.. but I back Jny in her insistence ;)

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 4  [ 79 posts ]
Return to “Threads of Historical Interest” | Jump to page 1 2 3 4 »
Jump to: