The Last Homely Site on the Web

Modding: Decision Thread

Post Reply   Page 6 of 6  [ 107 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 15 Feb , 2005 8:15 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

I have a few things I want to say since reading the latest posts in this thread, but I only have time to address the thing I came in here to say.

I think we need to decide who can be an admin as soon as possible. This board is growing a lot and we need to decide whether the newest of people can be an admin. I think it would easier to decide on this now and not several months from now.

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 15 Feb , 2005 9:13 pm
One of the Bronte Sisters

You're right, Eru. Some system that takes into account both post count and join date has been proposed but I have no idea what the right numbers are.

Seems like now 100 posts and/or 1 or 2 months, whichever is later, ought to be enough because I think it takes 2 months to catch the flavor of all the personalities here.

But I also think that as the board gets bigger the requirements should maybe get more strict, especially if acculturation ... the unspoken agreement as to how things ought to be handled, is going to play a large part in our governance.

Jn

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Profile Quote
Impenitent
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 15 Feb , 2005 10:52 pm
Try to stay perky

Jnyusa wrote:
...But I also think that as the board gets bigger the requirements should maybe get more strict, especially if acculturation ... the unspoken agreement as to how things ought to be handled, is going to play a large part in our governance...
Quite so! I can imagine that at some point a poster will nominate for admin who may pass both post count (ie evidence of participation) and join date (hasn't come down in the last shower) criteria but may be totally unsuitable in other ways. It is bound to happen - and then we will have to face the aftermath of hurt feelings. It would be worthwhile, I think, to establish some understanding of what is expected of an admin beyond a three/four month obligation to do the background technical stuff.

[ img ]

"Believe me, every heart has its secret sorrows, which the world knows not;
and oftentimes we call a man cold when he is only sad." ~Robert C. Savage

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 24 Feb , 2005 10:59 am
*Ex-Admin of record*

Yes – I'm also for 'stricter' requirements once we'll open up. It's only necessary.

Do the Admin's need to be an odd number? Not necessarily, but I think with an outlook for 'possible' futures, it might actually be a good idea. Not that I'm saying with this that the Admins will need to form a 'jury' or anything… but *if* if came down to it one day, then obviously having an odd number would make more sense.
Jny wrote:
The other thing I am thinking about B77 is that once we have a governance system in place, this board won't remotely resemble Torc in character. When you require people to fulfill civic duty on a board, and there is a stable, public dispute resolution process in place, people view their role on the board differently.

That's exactly my hope too :mrgreen:

As to when members will become eligible to Admin status: so long as we have the invite process here I think anybody should be able to volunteer themselves, no matter of postcount or time here on B77. We're still a fairly 'small' crowd :mrgreen: and pretty much know one another.
It's up to the voters to make a sensible choice and I have full trust in that capacity.
That of course will have to change once we're open – which is probable, and I'm taking a wild guess here now – not before end of this year. I would like to see a quite strict 'regime' to tell you the truth, having someone as an admin (even if it's just for 3 month) who's been here all but 3 months but has a huge postcount, or not (100 is not much to get to 'know' a person if it's a 'stranger').. well, it does not add up for me.
I'd advocate a minimum of 6 months and a minimum of 500 posts.
Of course, once we switch, we'll all have pretty much the same join dates so previous join dates from this board will have to be taken into account. And if my 'prediction' of beginning of 2006 comes true, then pretty much no-one that's here will have to worry if they're keen for the job
[ img ]

I'd also like to see an approved registration process (in whatever form we can devise it) and not instant self-approval of new usernames. Excellent idea that :mrgreen:

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 24 Feb , 2005 8:11 pm

Alandriel - I read your post about requirements in the other thread before seeing it here. :)

Yeah, the system we're discussing here is in preparation for opening to the public, or at the very least for getting a whole lot bigger than we are right now.

For now, because it's invitation only and we're inviting people who are responsible - and we're also short-handed! - there's no reason to restrict eligibility for admin.

Jn

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Mar , 2005 4:22 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

A quick update:

Please read the important Annoucement thread before continuing here.
According to that I'm stickying this.

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Mar , 2005 5:28 pm

All of the questions that this thread was intended to answer (listed in the first post) have either been answered or have ongoing discussions in other threads. I will ask the admins to lock this thread to help eliminate the redundancy in this forum. If you have questions about the nature of the decisions that have been made, view the other threads in this forum or email me at Jnyusa2005@yahoo.com and I will be glad to provide additional info.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 6 of 6  [ 107 posts ]
Return to “Threads of Historical Interest” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6
Jump to: