board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Should Simple Majority Rule?

Post Reply   Page 5 of 6  [ 118 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
Should Invites be Determined by Simple Majority of Those Voting?
Poll ended at Fri 11 Feb , 2005 9:37 pm
Yes

46% [ 11 ]
No

54% [ 13 ]
Total votes: 24
Lidless
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 03 Feb , 2005 4:05 pm
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

I don't want to waste my veto on Teh Angle, so nobody invite him, please.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 03 Feb , 2005 6:41 pm
Troubadour of Ithilien

Another veto-related musing.

I presume that - if the Veto is made by post rather than in the poll - someone could vote 'No', then wait until the end of the voting period before throwing in the Veto as well, with hours to spare.

Also found on Facebook - hunt me down via the MetaTORC group.

[ img ]

I just adore the concept of washing Dirty Horseboys!

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 03 Feb , 2005 7:07 pm
One of the Bronte Sisters

Imp - sorry! I was in a hurry, saw that Guru thought I was talking to him, and just said 'someone else' without checking who it was.

Ax - Yeah, I think as a practical matter that is what it would be.

Jn

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Profile Quote
Estel
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 03 Feb , 2005 8:18 pm
Pure Kitsch Flavor

First - I don't think the veto should be in a poll.

If it's that important to you, I want to hear why - maybe I really like the person. It would really piss me off that that person not only wasn't invited, but that the person who vetoed them didn't even have the respect to come out and say "I really don't want this person here, and here is why..."

At least if we got told the reason, people wouldn't be getting needlessly frustrated and angry about it.

Secondly - I like the idea of a simple majority with the veto.

However! I agree that each person should only get one. It could turn into a very volitile situation otherwise. If there is a veto being cast, I want to know that the situation was exceedingly important to the person casting the veto. I wouldn't want it to be one of situations where someone had an extra veto left, and there was no one left that they really really didn't want here, but they had had a small arguement with the invitee once a year or so ago, and didn't really feel like having them as part of the boards, so hey, why not just veto them.

I think that's it for now - I'll come back and edit if there is anything else (in other words, the furniture delivery guys are here now, and I have to go :P )

Profile Quote
enchantress
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Feb , 2005 1:28 am
Sorcery in Action

Estel, see above in my post... what would you consider a satisfactory explanation for a veto?
... and while it might be nice to see it, in the end would how people judge the validity of the veto explanation and whether they are convinced that ya, this person shoulnd be here, have any bearing on the veto standing as valid?

Whether the reason makes sense to others or not, I assume the veto stands right?

I just find this confusing... if someone casts their once-per year veto vote on a person who is otherwise doing well with the Yes'es, I can think that in a likely scenario the veto-er might have a personal problem with the invitee...in which case, others won't likely be much swayed by the explanation...

:scratch

...is my mind just boggled by too much studying? :P Just wrote a 2 hour test... :Q

Falling into Autumn... :)

Profile Quote
Impenitent
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Feb , 2005 1:49 am
Try to stay perky

Veto means "I can't/won't co-exist with this person on the boards and am willing to over-ride all the yes votes and live with the consequences"

A difficult thing to do; I'm sure it would only be done in extreme circumstances.

I wish we would just open the damn board to all and sundry; I'm heart-sick over this on-going fracas.

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Feb , 2005 2:27 am
Milk and kisses

Me too, Imp, me too. :(

(btw, sorry to hear about your computer :shock: )

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
Dindraug
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Feb , 2005 2:00 pm
Tricksy Elf!

It is tough Imp and Ber, but there are still folks out there I would not want to post with. Sorry about that, but there it is.

I keep of TORC now to avoid being stalked by them, by the bitchy snappy comments that have been a part of their posting style for about a year now. I really do not want to see them here.

I know that should we open doors, we will have the same sniping w have on TORC and I am not prepeared to deal with that.

Give it time, it is way to early to allow the likes of Oreo on, and he will come as soon as it opens just because he wants to cause trouble.

There are others who will do the same.

Morality of turning somebody down is one thing, what about the ethics towards the posters already here?

'When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from delusion, it is called Religion'.

~Robert M. Pirsig

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Feb , 2005 2:01 pm
Milk and kisses

I know, Din, and I understand; but I still wish it didn't have to be that way, can't I? ;)

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
Rodia
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Feb , 2005 2:12 pm

The way I see it...even when we open, and if Oreo and the likes arrive...they won't last here very long, precisely because of what attitude they will probably have.

(and I bet in some cases the admins will be fighting over who gets to press the ban button. =:))

[ img ]
Help me go to the North Pole! by Magic Madzik, on Flickr

TRYING TO GET TO THE NORTH POLE! You can help by voting: http://www.blogyourwaytothenorthpole.com/entries/244

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Feb , 2005 2:16 pm
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

We should probably decide first whether we want to ban him right away, or simply ignore him. I mean, you're going to want to ban him as soon as he starts posting, and you're not going to trust anything else he might say.

What worries me is the accounts he signs up under names other than "oreo" or "orodreth". Can you see IP addresses here? How are you going to know when it's him? Are you going to ban people right away? I mean, I think overall its best to just ignore everybody who starts acting like a tool, but BECAUSE folks can register under whatever name they want, the anonymity WILL be gone.

I hate guessing games. I don't want to wonder if this TORC name I recognize is really that person, or someone else.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Rodia
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Feb , 2005 2:29 pm

Damn...good point.

Maybe we shouldn't make registration all that easy.... Maybe we should have it like many other boards do, open, but every user still has to go through admin approval anyway.

First of all that would, at the very start, eliminate all the possible 'b77fucker' accounts, or even stuff like 'IhateIE'... I wouldn't like to think we'd accept someone with a username that's meant to hurt someone.

Second, that would mean the admin would never miss a new member. If someone whose name they recognise from TORC registers, in case of serious doubt they could email that TORCer and ask, just to make sure- or at least they'd have the email account to compare, etc...you know.

Third, maybe we ought to have a 'If you are or were a TORC member, what was your username?' question in the registration form. Optional, of course, because we don't want to be the Spanish Inquisition, but I imagine a lot of people would appreciate it upon registering. :)

[ img ]

TRYING TO GET TO THE NORTH POLE! You can help by voting: http://www.blogyourwaytothenorthpole.com/entries/244

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Feb , 2005 2:40 pm
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

That's sort of what I was thinking, Ro. And maybe if we only do that in the begining.

Have you ever been in line at midnight to get a copy of Lord of the Rings or something? Those are the die-hards who've been itching to get into the video store for months. You go in for a casual rental weeks later and it's a much more laid back process. If we had a release date, so to speak, for board77 to open, then I imagine we'll get all the freaks in here right away. :mrgreen: lol

So even though by opening the boards we are eliminating the invitation process, we can still have an idea of who is on the boards because we are seeing usernames we recognize. If the (I had to call it screening process, but you know what I mean) is working fine, then we can simply switch to an absolute free-for-all fiesta that any passer-by can join in on.

I have trouble imagine non-TORCers having any interest in this site, but I know we can welcome them with open arms. I remember the drive-bys that The Grey Havens would get, and it was pretty funny how everybody would jump on the wee ones, but I know that wouldn't happen here.

And if we made an "unadvertised" switch to completely open boards, then no one would be waiting at our doors about to explode from holding in things they've been waiting to spew at us for months.

I like the idea of having a "who were you on TORC" thread. The new people who register here won't all have malicious intent when they sign up - perhaps they really just don't like their TORC names and want to try something else! I mean, we can still do that here (Nin wasn't Nin when she first arrived and Eruname had some numbers in her name), ;) but I think we could ask them to let us know who they are at TORC for reference sake. It'll keep things straight.

*E*

Last edited by *E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R* on Fri 04 Feb , 2005 2:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Rodia
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Feb , 2005 2:44 pm

I've been in the line at MediaMarkt the morning of the ROTK EE release. It wasn't a very impressive line, but a line nevertheless. ;)

Also I've been in line at midnight to get Harry Potter...hmm...the Goblet of Fire. Never seen so many kids out past their bedtime.

I think I'll copypaste what you said and what I said into...er...whichever thread's the appropriate one. :P

edit: Seems like this one is. :LMAO:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Feb , 2005 2:52 pm

I've been having so much fun, or stretching my brain in every thread that I can't keep them straight, either. It's just one big party. :P

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Impenitent
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 05 Feb , 2005 10:17 am
Try to stay perky

If I can just clarify Din, I was not making any demands ("Open the MB right now!"), I was expressing a wistful hope.

Who are the Three you cannot abide? I'm curious because you seem so tolerant.

(I know, I'm nosy :mrgreen: ; but how can one find these things out unless one asks? :halo: )

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 05 Feb , 2005 11:40 am
Milk and kisses

Capitalising the Three makes it sound ominous in a Tolkien-esque way... :Q

"And they were the Three, the Three Un-B77-ables, who would not enter the Turf for as long as Dindraug son of Dondereg could wield a "no" vote."

Excuse me for making fun of a touchy subject, but I've been reading this Tolkien guy and it's kinda rubbed off. ;)

Profile Quote
Impenitent
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 05 Feb , 2005 1:12 pm
Try to stay perky

:mrgreen: The capital does make them loom rather large, doesn't it. :P

On Second Thoughts Din ;) don't tell me; I think in this case my curiosity ought not to be satisfied. I don't ever want to be in the position of knowing something I'd much rather not know. Could get awkward.

Profile Quote
Dindraug
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 05 Feb , 2005 3:17 pm
Tricksy Elf!

Impenitent wrote:
:mrgreen: The capital does make them loom rather large, doesn't it. :P

On Second Thoughts Din ;) don't tell me; I think in this case my curiosity ought not to be satisfied. I don't ever want to be in the position of knowing something I'd much rather not know. Could get awkward.
Probably best, and I think you would be surprised. Probably not exactly the people you think, but there you go.

There are others I think a no vote would surfice for :Q and if not, well then I would have to think about it, but not automatic veto's.

And you think me tolerant?....I have a tolerant reputation?....ummm, probably a good thing. I do bear grudges for a long time though, it's my Dwarf DNA :D

But after all that nice Gandalf fellow was tolerant, except to Balrogs, and Ringwraiths and Orcs and Trolls and Dragons and Wargs and......

Still I would not manipulate innocent hobbits to go change the world just because I had taken sides, no sireee ;)

:Q

'When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from delusion, it is called Religion'.

~Robert M. Pirsig

Profile Quote
Rodia
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 05 Feb , 2005 3:32 pm

The Society For Prevention of Appointing Life-Threatening and Hunger-Causing Quests to Hobbits wouldn't approve.

:nono:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 5 of 6  [ 118 posts ]
Return to “Threads of Historical Interest” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
Jump to: