board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Veto Option on Invitations

Post Reply   Page 1 of 3  [ 50 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 3 »
Should each member be given one veto on invites? (Read first post before voting.)
Poll ended at Mon 14 Feb , 2005 4:18 am
Yes

76% [ 26 ]
No

24% [ 8 ]
Total votes: 34
Jnyusa
Post subject: Veto Option on Invitations
Posted: Fri 04 Feb , 2005 4:18 am
One of the Bronte Sisters

Friends, we are voting on simple majority in another thread, and many people seem to want the simple majority coupled with a veto option. I have started a concurrent poll here so as not to hold up the invitations too long.

The terms of the proposed veto are as follows:
• each member would be given one veto which they may use between now and whenever the board opens to the public (see below)
• the veto would override the voting results and block the invitation until the board opens to the public (see below)
• the veto will not appear in the invitation poll but must be used inside the thread, and reason must be given for its use
• if no veto is exercised on a particular invitation, the vote would be decided by simple majority

IT IS ANTICIPATED THAT THE BOARD WILL OPEN TO THE PUBLIC BEFORE THE END OF THIS YEAR. If we find ourselves delayed and wish to renew the veto for each member for an additional time period, we can vote on that when it become relevant. For now we would like to establish quickly a voting mechanism that will allow the invitation process to proceed.

I would also like to remind members that in nearly all cases so far, the approval of invitations has been unanimous, and neither those invitations that are being delayed nor the use of a veto will block any person from entering the board once we are open to the public.

This vote will run until February 13. The vote on simple majority in the other thread will run until February 10.

edit: since we have an administrative decision that invite votes will run for nine days, I will close this vote on Feb. 12

Thank you!

Jn

Last edited by Jnyusa on Tue 08 Feb , 2005 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Profile Quote
laureanna
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Feb , 2005 4:31 am
Triathlete

May veto this thread? :roll:

I think the one time veto is a good idea.

Well, I'm back.

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Feb , 2005 5:24 am
Living in hope

I do, too--as long as an explanation is given.

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Feb , 2005 7:48 am
*Ex-Admin of record*

:mrgreen: I can live with that

Profile Quote
Griffon64
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Feb , 2005 7:59 am
Garrulous Griffon

I thought to sort of make it more obvious that people should pay attention to this and vote :) If that's not OK, just lemme know and I'll demote it back to normal thread status.

moment's hurt may harm or scar
but not inert nor beaten are
those who look and see afar
the healing hand of morning's star.

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Feb , 2005 8:03 am
One of the Bronte Sisters

That's great! Thank you Griff.

I'd actually asked Eru to do it at some point earlier this evening but she was already off line by then. No worry, she'll see that it's stuck when she gets online tomorrow.

Jn

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Profile Quote
Dindraug
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Feb , 2005 8:21 am
Tricksy Elf!

I am a yes too. I still worry that situations may arise where more than one veto would be needed, but thats because its 8.20, and the caffine has not kicked in yet ;)

I am convinced, that whatever haoppens we can deal with anyway.

'When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from delusion, it is called Religion'.

~Robert M. Pirsig

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Feb , 2005 8:46 am
Troubadour of Ithilien

It's a very nifty way of ensuring the minority voice is heard and acted upon.

:bow: to Ethel for thinking of it.

Personally I'm more concerned about the date we open when we know full well that people who do have issues with some of us will be signing up to cure their own nosiness. But I'm sure we can cope.

Also found on Facebook - hunt me down via the MetaTORC group.

[ img ]

I just adore the concept of washing Dirty Horseboys!

Profile Quote
Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Feb , 2005 8:54 am
Per aspera ad astra

Glad I managed to vote before leaving until the 13th.

Nichts Schöneres unter der Sonne als unter der Sonne zu sein.
(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Feb , 2005 11:20 am
WYSIWYG

I voted yes, but would like to make the proviso that the person who wants to veto an invite should give his/her reasons and arguments for it, and that, in case of an otherwise overwhelming majority for the invite, the veto may be discussed with the person who has the objection, in order to find out whether it's possible to change their mind, so that a veto won't be accepted to overrule majority vote so easily.
(Not that I don't trust the members to use their veto carefully and responsibly, but I'd nevertheless like to have some - er, deterrent? (too strong a word, but can't think of anything else at the moment) - against a rash veto.)

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
Dindraug
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Feb , 2005 1:20 pm
Tricksy Elf!

I am not sure TH. I think for the sake of not upsetting people, because potentally word could get out, that if they have real personal issues with anybody they can just say that.

'When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from delusion, it is called Religion'.

~Robert M. Pirsig

Profile Quote
Areanor
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Feb , 2005 10:14 pm
Sharpe-sighted

I voted yes - just for the record.

And I don't think I will need the veto. As it was said somewhere around, if there is a person coming on that is likely to stir trouble, there will be more than one no-sayer, I believe.

And I strongly believe that those people I would use the veto on wouldn't be invited before the board opens.
Not that I'm too eager about opening.....

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Farawen
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Feb , 2005 10:53 pm
Far out

Voted yes.

Profile Quote
Sassafras
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 05 Feb , 2005 12:03 am
through the looking glass

Also voted yes.

Can't actually forsee using my veto. The one person I do not want here is hardly likely to be invited.

Profile Quote
Andri
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 05 Feb , 2005 12:57 pm

I vote Yes.

But I don't think that a personal issue only is cause enough for using the veto against someone's invitation. There must be a strong reason behind the action and not only a poster's dislike.
So I agree with Truehobbit that reasons must be given but maybe we can find a way to do that without upsetting anyone.

Profile Quote
Impenitent
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 07 Feb , 2005 3:45 am
Try to stay perky

I'd better 'fess up: I'm the single no vote.

I've been thinking about it alot; I know I was one of the advocates for a veto system - and I can see, on an intellectual level, that it would work for some people.

But then I considered: is there really anyone that I COULD NOT live with here? Someone whose presence on line here (or anywhere) would cause me to pack up my bat and ball and go home? What if others feel that way - that they could not co-exist with another, who may be wanted a great deal by others? And who could get here anyway when the boards are open?

I decided, on reflection, that I'd prefer not to have a veto option. I think that it can only cause ill-will (for the respite offered by the veto is short term in any case). And it's not like we have to eat, drink, sleep with those voted on here. We are here for a short time each day (even the most addicted of us) and there is no need to post with any particular person, side by side.

Consensus would be increasingly difficult as the membership expands. Majority rule works, more or less. Veto - what does it achieve in the long term? In another thread we were talking of the capacity to forgive - and i asked myself if I proposed a good friend as a member and someone vetoed that friend - could I forgive or would I forever harbour a resentment that my friend was found so totally unacceptable that someone felt the need to lock her/him out? For my part, I think it's more productive to aim for co-existence.

I'm over-ruled anyway. :P But that's my reasoning for the no vote.

Profile Quote
peeg
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 07 Feb , 2005 7:18 am
You Tolkien to me?

And you have every right to vote no if you want to, Imp, only, personally, i don't think it's such a big deal. The people here are smart enough to use their vetos wisely, and it's understood that they would have to have a good reason for the veto, a reason that everyone else must agree on is good enough. :)

Anyway, i voted yes. Good idea, Ethel and Jny

[ img ]

"You can think and you can fight, but the world's always moving and if you wanna stay ahead you gotta dance"
~Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Dindraug
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 07 Feb , 2005 8:42 am
Tricksy Elf!

Quote:
IT IS ANTICIPATED THAT THE BOARD WILL OPEN TO THE PUBLIC BEFORE THE END OF THIS YEAR.
Can I point out, this has not been agreed yet.

~Robert M. Pirsig

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 07 Feb , 2005 10:22 am
Milk and kisses

Isn't that what a majority of people want? :scratch Opening up the boards - and doing it in a timescale of 6-12 months?
We might put up a (non-binding) poll to gauge how people feel about that; as I recall, we've only discussed the issue so far. How about that? :)

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 07 Feb , 2005 10:34 am
Troubadour of Ithilien

I think it's still too early to decide when we want to open up. Once the TORCish stuff has settled (and I mean settled for more than a fortnight without reopening!) we might be in a better position to think it through. I don't think we need to worry about it this side of the summer holidays at any rate. It's more important to concentrate on healing and on our own internal development.

Also found on Facebook - hunt me down via the MetaTORC group.

[ img ]

I just adore the concept of washing Dirty Horseboys!

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 3  [ 50 posts ]
Return to “Threads of Historical Interest” | Jump to page 1 2 3 »
Jump to: