Opening up B77?

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 16 posts ]
Berhael
Post subject: Opening up B77?
Posted: Mon 07 Feb , 2005 1:55 pm
Milk and kisses

This question has come up in this thread:

http://www.phpbber.com/phpbb/viewtopic. ... rd77#15994

I know that we're discussing the future of B77, generally, but I think this is a fundamental question that we need to single out, as well as the issue of our "mission statement". I see the discussions about governance and structures taking place in the context of an open board, a few months down the line; am I just assuming things, or do the majority of us want an open board at some point or other?

I'll put up a poll when I've got an idea of the options we would like.

Sorry in advance if this has been discussed elsewhere. I thought it was worth a new, discrete thread.

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 07 Feb , 2005 2:07 pm
Troubadour of Ithilien

I guess it is something of an assumption that we will become public eventually, given that we've never taken a vote on it. ;)

I really love the small town cosiness we have at the moment. However, I think that eventually we will need to become open or we run the risk of stagnating. We can't rely solely on sustaining interest from people we already know or may yet meet in other corners of cyber space.

The 'when' is possibly the trickier question. I would want to defer the decision-making until the end of summer, to be honest, to give us the chance to find our feet and maybe relax a little and remind ourselves that this is supposed to be fun!

PS: Did you use 'discrete' in that post, specifically with Vison in mind?

Also found on Facebook - hunt me down via the MetaTORC group.

[ img ]

I just adore the concept of washing Dirty Horseboys!

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 07 Feb , 2005 2:14 pm
Milk and kisses

No... I've had the distinction "discrete"/"discreet" etched in my brain, it's one of the favourite words of my PhD supervisor :LMAO:

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 07 Feb , 2005 2:30 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

Leoba is reading my mind once again :Q :mrgreen:

Oh - I like the cosy feel of this 'small' (not that small anymore :mrgreen: and growing nicely) board :halo: But I also know the reality ... 'when all is said and done'.
Thing is.. I'm a waffle queen :oops: so it will probably be a long time till all is said and done :LMAO:

yeah..... eventually... we'll have to open. But I'm not very sad at all if that is well down the road ;)
I'm not opposed - but I'm also in no hurry at all :halo:

and explain that discrete thing to me please :help: I don't have a PhD :bawl:

;)

Profile Quote
Holbytla
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 07 Feb , 2005 4:36 pm
Grumpy cuz I can be

Quote:
Thing is.. I'm a waffle queen
Did I ever tell you how much I like waffles? ;)

I think the opening of this board will happen naturally. We will know when it is time to open up. Whenever that time is, it isn't now. We aren't ready, and I don't think a date should be set. When we set the governance in place, and prepare for the eventualities of a larger open board, then I think it will happen of it's own accord. Providing that is what people want. I also see the possibility of a split between the original members. Some are going to keep it the way it is, and some will want to grow. How is that going to be dealt with?
Personally I like the way this place is right now, but I do think that in the future, we need to grow or we will stagnate.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Sunsilver
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 07 Feb , 2005 4:37 pm

Alandriel, in this case, I think Ber is using it in the sense of 'separate' thread rather than the more usual sense of 'not blabbing it all over the board/world' sense.

I think.

And as far as stagnating, I have seen that happen to both The Grey Havens and The Eldar Days, even though TGH is totally open. Not too sure about TED, though....can someone enlighten me?

Last edited by Sunsilver on Mon 07 Feb , 2005 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Quote
Nienor SharkAttack
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 07 Feb , 2005 4:37 pm

I also like the "small town cosiness". You can go for a walk and see a friend on every house corner. :wink:

But I think many have thought so about boths towns and web sites and walked into the trap of closing the world out. We should open up, but nice and slowly, and there's absolutely no need to hurry.

I don't want to share you with everyone else just yet... :mrgreen::P

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 07 Feb , 2005 4:49 pm
Milk and kisses

Discrete and discreet are two different words. :)

From dictionary.com:

Discrete: Constituting a separate thing. Not joined to or incorporated with another; separate; distinct. adj : constituting a separate entity or part; "a government with three discrete divisions"; "on two distinct occasions" [syn: distinct]

Discreet: Marked by, exercising, or showing prudence and wise self-restraint in speech and behavior; circumspect. Free from ostentation or pretension; modest.

They get confused very often (understandably), but for some reason this particular distinction was hammered into my brain. ;)

Profile Quote
Rodia
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 07 Feb , 2005 5:30 pm

I think the reason TGH stagnated was its lack of focus. I went there a couple of times but saw absolutely no reason to register...it was all people from TORC and a bunch I didn't know yelling insults.

(Okay, I exaggerate, but that's what was most visible to me.)

[ img ]
Help me go to the North Pole! by Magic Madzik, on Flickr

TRYING TO GET TO THE NORTH POLE! You can help by voting: http://www.blogyourwaytothenorthpole.com/entries/244

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 07 Feb , 2005 5:35 pm
Milk and kisses

It was a place for gossip. All the latest TORC exploits were discussed there in detail, in particular bannings.

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 07 Feb , 2005 6:04 pm
One of the Bronte Sisters

How ... ungracious. And these are the same people who are criticizing B77?

Jn

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 07 Feb , 2005 6:37 pm
Milk and kisses

Not the same people, I think. It was Leo*'s board, and some of the regulars don't post on TORC anymore, nor have they done for over a year. spd, droolie, mr.bunny, vynaca and bernil were some of the regulars, as well as other people that I can't remember now. I posted a bit there too, as did Telemachos, ateelah, Democritus and Mammo (the latter 2 under other names). I've also seen Ethel, *E*, Alys, wilko, The Angel and InnocentEvil post there on occasion. Earnil had a HUGE fight with Mr.bunny there once. It was a place to vent, and as such it got heated and nasty sometimes, but, objectively, as an information source it was invaluable; I read all about Snowdog there (he posted quite a bit too, defending himself). Leo* also posted gossip about the LotR films (he used to boast about a "source").

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 07 Feb , 2005 7:19 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

I'm all for the board opening up at some point, but that time isn't now nor is it in the near future. I don't think we should open up until we have established procedure for this place. We need to know how to deal with problems when they arise and we want to have some structure when people we don't know come in.

As for the cosiness, to me it's already gone from here. Most of the people registering are people I don't really know. This place is becoming big to me and not near as comfortable. Such is life though.

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
Areanor
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 07 Feb , 2005 10:21 pm
Sharpe-sighted

You know, I have a Gollum side and a Smeagol side here that run discussions every day.

Such as:

Gollum: "I don't want to let this board open, it's good as it is."

Smeagol: "Don't be silly, it will wither away and die. It has got to open some day."

Gollum: "No, I don't want it to, I like to know all the people on board"

Smeagol: " But you don't know everybody now!"

Gollum: "I'm not listening."

just my two sides of it.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Impenitent
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 08 Feb , 2005 12:39 am
Try to stay perky

My wish would be for the MB to open asap, even though the inevitable result will be a dispersal of intimacy; however, I know opening up is impractical until governance issues are put in place.

Jn, I believe that the people criticising B77 do so because all they have to go on is hearsay, anger and hurt feelings.

Profile Quote
Guruthostirn
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 08 Feb , 2005 5:12 pm
That Weird American

Each side has advantages...

I don't think we run the risk of stagnating, at least for a long time...there'll always be new blood coming in from TORC, at the very least. So opening isn't necessarily an immediate priority.

At the same time, opening the board would allow more people on more quickly, and take away the "private club" aura we've gotten. However, as has been pointed out, certain things need to happen first. One of the most important is a "blurb"...something to draw people in. TORC has a distinct advantage because it is not just a messageboard...the same goes for TORN. We will stagnate unless we draw people in...and at this point I'm completely clueless as to how to do that.

~~~~
Added by Alandriel Mar06: Since the question of when and how to open Board 77 to the public is the last decision we'll be taking I'm locking this now. Thanks for your understanding

That crazy American Jerk...

"No stop signs, speed limits, no body's gonna slow me down..."

"You can run, but you'll die tired." -- What the archer said to the knight.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 16 posts ]
Return to “Threads of Historical Interest”
Jump to: