The Last Homely Site on the Web

Term of Office & Admin Eligibility

Post Reply   Page 2 of 2  [ 33 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2
Estel
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 24 Feb , 2005 7:57 pm
Pure Kitsch Flavor

Just one extra thought - three months as the time limit, but an option for four if necessary. For instance, Eru has stayed on a bit this time around because us other admins asked her to. With the enourmous amount of invites being processed, the fact that Gimli has given up his admin status, and Griffy has problems accessing the panel, it's just to much for only two admins.

As for requirements to become an admin - I would say something like 1-2 months of active posting. The only real reason I can see to limit it (as the voters will not vote for people who have only posted once in six months, or only post one-liners) is that people should get to know the board and the system before they can be the one to push the buttons :)

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 24 Feb , 2005 8:07 pm
One of the Bronte Sisters

Estel - I'm going to leave the three months up as the formal term. While the board is still small and invitation only we can always make adjustments as needed without any real hassle. As we grow, and especially when we're drawing members from the outside, we won't be as likely to come up shorthanded, and it's good to vote at routine times and for everyone to see where their job is supposed to begin and end. Hope you don't mind if I leave our current 'tweakings' out of the formal statement - just to keep things simple.

Re requirements, I don't have any thoughts about this yet so I'm just listening to what others say.

Jn

edit: p.s. Alandriel - just saw your post in the other thread and answered there. Yes, there is no restriction on eligibility for the members who come in under the invite system. Eligibility requirements are for the future.

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 24 Feb , 2005 9:35 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

And that's exactly what I'm talking about here Jny, future requirements, hence my rather strict 6months and minimum 500 posts.

If you're discussing here now (sorry - it's late and I'm rather confused because I'm tired) what the requirements are for being able to volunteer as Admin here and now under the invite system that we have... well... for me, it's rather a case-by-case kind of thing but of course we can't really run with this anymore now that we're getting more and more members.

Estel's idea is good :mrgreen: I'd say 2 months (rather on the more restrictive side again I'm afraid) and wouldn't really worry about post-count too much.

What worries me more is the actual 'how' of the volunteering. There are many people now in that I really don't know. In a way I'd like to see that volunteers 'introduce' themselves a bit and that that info is being updated/kept in one thread. Though how this would work in reality with several nominations running side by side without it getting totally unwieldly... I have no idea :scratch A seperate forum for just that, erm, don't think that's a good idea (fragmentation).

Will sleep over it
[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 25 Feb , 2005 1:28 am

We can always have a sticky thread in this forum. First post can be a brief statement by each person available for nomination, along with the date they last served as admin. Second post can be current nominations, with any words each of them would like to add.

Admins can update both posts as needed.

The actual nominations and voting would have to be in its own thread, I guess. I don't think we can take polls back to zero and start over, can we?

I like the idea that people would become eligible after certain requirements were met and would automatically be available for consideration. Their brief statement would go into the thread, and anyone could nominate them. They could also decline nomination for a particular term if they wanted to, but they would have to opt out (as Ax put it) rather than opting in.

So ... we'd start a thread in each election month (four times a year), hold nominations and let people either accept to decline until we have a slate; then add the poll and vote.

Jn

p.s. I'm changing the title of this thread to reflect new topic

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 25 Feb , 2005 7:51 am
*Ex-Admin of record*

For once I love timezones. While I lay sleeping you came up with just the solution :bow: Jny :D
Jny wrote:
The actual nominations and voting would have to be in its own thread, I guess. I don't think we can take polls back to zero and start over, can we?
The Admins can :mrgreen: .
We've diddled with this in the past (or rather I diddled with it in the past *cough*) The way we had done it is that after one poll had run it's course to post the results in the thread. Then wipe the poll - start a new one in the same thread and continue the discussion.
Only - it ended up that people were starting new polls in new threads rather. However, who-ever ends up taking care of the thread could always nudge an Admin via PM. I'd also rather see everything in one place than strewn across many threads. :)

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 25 Feb , 2005 7:09 pm
WYSIWYG

I like the idea of nominees telling the board a bit about themselves, especially now that we are getting more and more people who might be known by only a few.

On the other hand, as to requirements to become eligible, I don't know. I'm not against some formal requirements, but I don't think they are particularly telling. They might help against people joining just in order to run for admin. (If anyone would be so crazy as to do that.)
Even supposing we were open and already had members none of us knew, I think we'll know whether someone is fit for the job, irrespective of postcount and time they are here.
What's the use of being a member for six months, when you are never here? And what's the use of 500 posts, when they are all conversational?
But if someone does give a lot of time to this board, and if they do come up with good posts, taking part in important discussions etc, we'd know their quality even without a formal waiting time or post count, I think.
So, (not sure if I'm explaining it well), I'd just trust people not to vote for someone who they have never seen around or who hardly ever makes a thoughtful post, while I'm sure that, by contrast, even someone who's never heard of Jny, for example, before, would love to see her as an admin just from reading the first couple of threads they'd come across here. Know what I mean?

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
Teherin
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 25 Feb , 2005 8:14 pm
Titch

Am happy to go with what the experienced have suggested and I dont mind having to vote more times a year if required.

Re the minimum requirements .. I would think it would be also important that those 500 posts are fairly spread out .. as in not all concentrated in one particular forum - granted this is unlikely at the moment but as we grow it is important that people have a grasp of what is going on in all forums ... or am I being silly ?

All I have to do
Is forget I ever loved him ...

Where are you Sirel ...

Profile Quote
Areanor
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 27 Feb , 2005 3:18 am
Sharpe-sighted

Well, that sure should be an option, Titch, but how to control that?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
laureanna
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 28 Feb , 2005 4:15 am
Triathlete

Just had a horrible thought. All the cute kids from the TORC fluffy forums invade B77 and a few months later start voting in their most popular friends. After a few admin rotations, the board is theirs.

Well, I'm back.

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 28 Feb , 2005 4:42 am

I'm not sure there will be anything here to interest them, Laureanna. You have to remember that TORC caters to them and we really don't.

Jn

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 28 Feb , 2005 7:24 am
Living in hope

An awful lot of that sort of thing seems to be moving to LiveJournal and similar places these days.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 02 Mar , 2005 8:55 am
Troubadour of Ithilien

I can't remember if I've read this before so if I repeat anyone I'm sorry.

Is there an intention to have a limited number of nominations up for vote each time or will the vote be on the entire wish-list? I can just imagine votes being equal, the wider they spread, and having to have re-runs.

I do like the idea of automatic eliqibility. I was also tempted by the thought of existing admins picking out the posters they thought best placed to run. Mainly because they would be best placed to see overall who had the skills and tenure. But it would run the (light?) risk of biased shortlists?

Also found on Facebook - hunt me down via the MetaTORC group.

[ img ]

I just adore the concept of washing Dirty Horseboys!

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Mar , 2005 4:17 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

And another visit from me :Q :D

Please read the important Announcement at the top of this forum. According to that - I'm stickying this.

If you've read it already then just ignore me :D

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 2  [ 33 posts ]
Return to “Threads of Historical Interest” | Jump to page « 1 2
Jump to: