Keep it closed, but shorten the invite process

52% [ 17 ]
No Change. Keep it as it is now.

33% [ 11 ]
Total votes: 33
Lhaewin
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 03 Mar , 2005 8:41 pm

Once a decision is taken, we should hold on it for a while instead of discussing it as soon as it comes to force.
Quote:
Invite Only, wait a couple of days for any objections, then they're in. No vote, give some time in case someone has a major case against that person. If someone has a problem with an invite, deal with it on a case by case basis.
I second your suggestion, halplm. You made a good point about the positive sides of an invitation, instead of being voted in or out.

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Oscar Wilde

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 03 Mar , 2005 9:26 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

First up: exTORCers or not, any rules we hash out here and agree upon apply to everybody. Of course! That's a true democracy. Admins or any other future 'powers' are no exception to any rule. I really want to stress that!!
Actually I want to take it even a step further so to speak: those that find themselves in a 'power' situation need to be even more vigilant about the rules and that applies to even a simple thing e.g. currently starting an invite thread. They don't have to, but they ought to. Basically it boils down to this: be responsible for your own actions no matter how trivial. Real life? Bet ya! ;)

May I quote
MariaHobbit wrote:
You folks change things too fast around here.
I know it was added at the end of her previous post but does that not tell you something? ;)

Things take time. People take time to absorb and adjust. Unless we want chaos and anarchy we need to allow discussions to take place.

Shorten the invite process? We've only just decided on the invite process when you know what happened. In any case....

Let's please leave these separate discussion where they belong and try not to fragment the threads too much. It get's terribly confusing.

please take any discussion pertaining to invitations over to the Discussion on invitation thread and copy over the necessary post. Sorry :( but I don't think I can split posts into an existing thread so you'll have to copy/paste and quote.
Sorry... really. I wish I could split but I can't.

After the issues on how to improve invites or stop them altogether while we're hashing out the 'issues' of governance to be ready for opening have been discussed (please allow TIME for that and more than just a couple of days) then set up a poll. Preferrably in the business forum. I'll see what the reaction is but the Discussion on invitations ought really to go into the business forum.

This thread should only be for discussing when and if B77 is to be opened. Details pertaining to the invitation process please take over to the other thread

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 03 Mar , 2005 9:48 pm
Not so deep as a well

But..but..one of the poll choices is:

Keep it closed, but shorten the invite process

Destiny is a rhythm track on which we must improvise.

In some cases, firing the drummer helps.

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 03 Mar , 2005 9:59 pm

Not just one of the choices, but the choice that the majority of voters has chosen. Repeatedly.

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 03 Mar , 2005 10:13 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

Yes - I'm aware of that. The question is HOW to shorten the invite process.
Into what? People have to agree. This poll in this thread only says' Keep it closed, but shorten the invite process' - sorry but that's not good enough. It has to be hashed out.
And don't believe one minute I'm not exasperated too. I would love it to change overnight. But then what? What about ALL the other people that are trying to catch up. We can't run things this way.

Sorry I locked that other thread. Frankly - this is a bit overwhelming and trust me when I say I'm trying to do the best I can. Mistakes happen. If you want me to reopen the Poll - shall we change the invite process? then I'll gladly do so. But then please add a mention and a link to the Discussion on invitations thread. I admit I locked it in a bit of haste born out of the wits to keep things in places where the ought to be. In that case the Discussion on invites thread in Invites (which perhaps should be moved to Business for clarities sake. Tell me. I'll do it.

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 03 Mar , 2005 10:14 pm
Living in hope

This is a bugbear of mine, but really, polls need to be more carefuly structured. Grrr. It doers no good to try to stuff several different questions into one poll, because there is a chance of not getting clear results.

This poll, for example. I don't understand the first option, so I'll leave it out--only one person voted for it anyway. But that one aside, and breaking out just single factors in each poll item:

Should we open or stay closed?

27 have chosen options in which we stay closed.
2 have chosen options in which we open.

Now the invite process. Should it be shortened?

17 have chosen options in which we shorten the invite process.
10 have chosen options in which we do not.
2 opt for no invite process at all.

I think it's better to have several unambiguous polls, or better still a series--one for "Should we do this?" followed by "How should we do this" if the answer is yes.

This will take longer than trying to cram complicated procedure questions into one poll, but if in the end the results aren't clear enough to interpret, the whole poll is wasted.

One question at a time. And please, let's not post polls asking both whether and how we should do something--or more than one thing!

That's my two cents, based on six years in a research lab where I designed and performed experiments. Rule one was always "Try to ask only one question."

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 03 Mar , 2005 10:44 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

Farawen wrote:
See, the thing is... once we've figured out how to deal with the trolly type "from the inside", we don't have to fry our brains over how to make the invite process work because there won't be need for invites any longer.
Not necessarily. I know there are more than a few people who aren't ready for the Tom's House type spammer to be over here yet.

I don't advocate shutting all invites down for a while, especially while Steve has the message up that people should email the B77 admin if they want in and then we'll vote on you. When people have written to us, there was an email sent out to them saying the board was invite only and they'd need to find a sponsor and that put them off. It's just kind of cold...telling them, email us and we'll try to get you in and then halting things once they've emailed us. So, I've asked Steve to take down that part. I'm hoping he will. This will prevent any bad feelings and also prevent admins having to be sponsors for people they don't know. I just sponsored two people I don't know all that well because it was the only fair thing to do. We told them to email us!

Also, he should probably take down the link to this board to keep people from registering out of the blue. It's this that is causing the problems, not the invite threads that have been started by members. I believe we should keep those going until we think we can finally open the board.

I think even if we do get the Troll Patrol and whatever set up, now is not the time to go opening the doors. We need to wait until the recent TORC explosion cools off.

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 03 Mar , 2005 10:53 pm

Alandriel wrote:
Sorry I locked that other thread. Frankly - this is a bit overwhelming and trust me when I say I'm trying to do the best I can. Mistakes happen. If you want me to reopen the Poll - shall we change the invite process? then I'll gladly do so. But then please add a mention and a link to the Discussion on invitations thread. I admit I locked it in a bit of haste born out of the wits to keep things in places where the ought to be. In that case the Discussion on invites thread in Invites (which perhaps should be moved to Business for clarities sake. Tell me. I'll do it.
First of all, :hug:. You're doing a great job. Don't let anyone tell you you're not.

No, I don't think that you shoud reopen that thread. I think that would only create even more confusion.

I basically agree with Prim (big surprise, that ;)). What we need is more clarity. Not just more precise polls but more precise information as to exactly when a decision is going to take effect (or even if it is going to). I think, quite frankly, that we really do need a person or group of people "in charge" who has the ability to make executive decisions and stick to them. Not necessarily to decide how things will be, but rather to decide how we are going to decide how things will be. ;)

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 03 Mar , 2005 11:35 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

Thanks Voronwe :) I'll glady take that hug - I'll take any hug I can get. Why don't to volunteer as admin ;)

And folks - keep listening to what other wise people say :D

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Mar , 2005 1:20 am
Not so deep as a well

How about a "if we are to shorten the invite process, what should the length be?" poll with choices of:

10 days
9 days
8 days
7 days
6 days
5 or fewer days

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Mar , 2005 1:44 am

Alandriel wrote:
Why don't to volunteer as admin ;)
I have considered that. My concerns are: (1) I am sometimes overwhelmingly busy with work; and (2) I am fairly technologically backward. I will continue to consider. Any advice that you'd care to give me I would happily take (along with any hugs ;)).

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Mar , 2005 3:29 am
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

The last poll we did to try to shorten invite times was 7 days vs. 10 days. It resulted in a tie! :bang:

Would be interesting to see what would happen with another, though I know there will be several people that will be quite adamant that we don't do a revote.

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Mar , 2005 3:34 am
Not so deep as a well

Well, with two choice and a tie, I think a revote with some different choices might actually be illuminating. Heck, we might get a nice bell curve or some such... :D

Profile Quote
Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Mar , 2005 8:22 am
Per aspera ad astra

Just for the record - I voted an optin of staying closed NOW. That does not mean forever.

Nichts Schöneres unter der Sonne als unter der Sonne zu sein.
(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
Lidless
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Mar , 2005 8:33 am
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

Upon a suggestion by Eru, I've changed the message on the booard77.com website to say that instead of contacting the Admins direct,

"If you cannot wait that long, please send an e-mail to one of the current members who you know and we will discuss and vote on whether we can let you in ahead of opening the boards."

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Mar , 2005 2:22 pm
Not so deep as a well

I'm gonna do it. :Q

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Mar , 2005 3:00 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

And why not indeed Ax. Good for you. However I must also dip in here and hopefully bug you for the last time

Please read the important Announcement at the top of this forum.

Thank you :) - really! I appricate you're taking things seriously and putting so much effort in :D

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Mar , 2005 3:06 pm

I'm the one guy who voted for just throwing it open. Then I read this thread and Iavas' "Exceptions..." thread. Now I don't know what to think. Lots of wise people are making lots of wise suggestions on all sides. It seems like I now agree with everybody. The problem seems to be that this board has too many smart & eloquent people. My suggestion for solving this problem is that we ban most of these people, thus making it easier to have one-sided, narrow-minded opinions, which would result in simpler decision making. Shall I start a poll on whether or not this is a good idea?

Profile Quote
Mummpizz
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Mar , 2005 3:06 pm
Gloriosus

"Upon a suggestion by Eru" ... not anybody gets such a divine hint. :)

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Mar , 2005 3:07 pm
Milk and kisses

Yov, I see that you're beginning to grasp this forum :D

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 8 of 9  [ 166 posts ]
Return to “Threads of Historical Interest” | Jump to page « 15 6 7 8 9 »
Jump to: