board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

If the invite process is shortened, how short should it be?

Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 26 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 »
How quick should it be? (11 days currently)
Poll ended at Mon 14 Mar , 2005 2:24 pm
10 days

6% [ 1 ]
9 days

17% [ 3 ]
8 days

6% [ 1 ]
7 days

39% [ 7 ]
6 or fewer days

33% [ 6 ]
Total votes: 18
Axordil
Post subject: If the invite process is shortened, how short should it be?
Posted: Fri 04 Mar , 2005 2:24 pm
Not so deep as a well

Note the use of the subjunctive. There seems to be a plurality but not a majority in favor of shortening the invite process. I'm trying to get an idea of what people have in mind.

Destiny is a rhythm track on which we must improvise.

In some cases, firing the drummer helps.

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Mar , 2005 2:56 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

Ax and everybody else ;) : there is nothing wrong with starting this poll. :)

However, I kindly ask you to read thoroughly the Announcement I've put up today before proceeding.

And just for your info Ax - I've added the crosslink to the main Discussion on invitation thread. But next time, you please do it and the Amin will try and keep the first post in that thread up to speed or hopefully we can talk Guru into it. :D

Thanks for your understanding :) - I know I'm asking a lot

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Mar , 2005 3:01 pm
Not so deep as a well

Not a problem.

Destiny is a rhythm track on which we must improvise.

In some cases, firing the drummer helps.

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Mar , 2005 3:29 pm
Troubadour of Ithilien

Leoba in the January thread wrote:
Dropping to 7 days could pose a problem for anyone away on holiday for a week or just immersed in heavy-duty exams! Keep it to 10 and only those people lucky enough to jet off for a long break will have cause for concern.

Whatever the case, it needs to be the same rule for all, regardless of how inoffensive the individual may be. 10 days is not long at all in the grand scheme of things.
I voted 10 days - in the interests of people who can't drop by daily or who don't have time to access the business related forums daily (they are unwieldy and somewhat off putting even to people like me who waste hours here per day).

However I see no problem with putting a poll up in the thread straight away. Though I would urge people to not be hasty in casting their vote unless they are certain of their position.

Also found on Facebook - hunt me down via the MetaTORC group.

[ img ]

I just adore the concept of washing Dirty Horseboys!

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Mar , 2005 4:14 pm
Living in hope

A couple of thoughts:

At a certain point it's not really sensible to try to accommodate people who are away--if we're concerned about people who go away for a week, why aren't we worried about those who go away for two weeks? Sheer bitter envy, I suppose. :P

The business and invite forums are daunting, at least right now--but I don't think we ought to stretch things out just for the convenience of people who choose not to stop in very often. If their online time is limited and they're truly concerned about invitations and votes, they should allot their time accordingly or accept the fact that they're going to miss out on some things. :neutral:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Mar , 2005 4:49 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

I agree with Prim.

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Mar , 2005 8:58 pm
One of the Bronte Sisters

I did agree with the longer time period initially, but observing the behavior of the threads and reading what others have posted about the behavior of the threads, I have changed my mind.

There is not much activity on most threads after the second or third day - few exceptions to this.

So I'm voting for the 6 days or less option, bearing in mind that there are still two days of discussion prior to the poll going up. I'm thinking two days for discussion and 5 days of poll, so that the thread is up for a week.

But we should ask people in the announcement at the top of that forum to do the following:

1. Don't shave the times. A day should be 24 hours because of the time zone differences.

2. If there is active discussion/debate going on, don't close the poll just to get your friend in. I think the admins should have the power to require nine days if they feel that is necessary on a particular vote.

Example: I put up a thread for an 'outsider' - our first. It is not someone I know personally in RL but someone I've met online. Some members are understandably nervous and we are talking it out back and forth. I will not close the vote pre-emptorily and rest on a simple majority even at the end of nine days if there is still active discussion, concern, discomfort, etc.

3. Our emails to people who request entry should still say that the process takes 10 days, and that is what everyone should be telling their friends, for the reason stated in point #2/ No one will complain if it takes less than that.

We have to behave responsibly with the good of the whole board in mind and I think that admins should have the right to enforce that if posters are not doing it on their own.

[/end civics lecture]

Jn

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Mar , 2005 9:20 pm

I'm not voting in any polls until I am confident that the polls actually mean anything. :)

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 05 Mar , 2005 5:16 am
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

Jnyusa wrote:
1. Don't shave the times. A day should be 24 hours because of the time zone differences.
When keeping track of the poll dates, I've done my best to enforce that. We had one or two polls that didn't quite make it to 9 days, but generally people are being pretty good about this.

Voronwe has a point. Will the outcome of this poll mean anything at all?

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 05 Mar , 2005 2:31 pm

In case the outcome does matter, I vote for Jn's suggestion of 2 days talk and 5 days vote.

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 05 Mar , 2005 2:36 pm

Yov, I would probably vote for that too, but its not one of the choices. Exactly what I've been talking about. :)

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 06 Mar , 2005 10:04 am
*Ex-Admin of record*

I second Jny's suggestion too.

However, since *this* thread needs to run for at least 11 days (I just opened the can of worms of how long polls that affect policy ought to run, yikes! ;) check the Emergency thread if you can be bothered to read up on it all ;) ) this thread would terminate IF Ax asks me (or another Admin) to edit the poll options and we start over today) on 17th March.

We have as an aim to open the board around 1st April. Most probably there will be 'restrictions' on invites as of Monday. Please keep updated in the Emergency thread and in the Announcement in invites (first post updated)

Ax: do you want a poll edit or do you want to close this issue until the board opens up? (If we take longer than anticipated and you feel it necessary we can always unlock this and do it again - just once we have determined how long policy changing polls will be allowed to run)

ay ay ay
;)

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 06 Mar , 2005 2:53 pm
Troubadour of Ithilien

Alandriel wrote:
We have as an aim to open the board around 1st April.
Since when?

We don't have any set date for opening the board. As you - I think - have stated in another thread, 'when' will be absolutely the last decsion made. Certainly no discussion of dates has taken place with the B77 populace.

We have 1st April as a deadline for gettign 90% of governance on stream. That is all.

Also found on Facebook - hunt me down via the MetaTORC group.

[ img ]

I just adore the concept of washing Dirty Horseboys!

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 06 Mar , 2005 2:54 pm

I agree with Leoba. And even that deadline is probably optimistic. :)

Profile Quote
Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 06 Mar , 2005 3:19 pm
Per aspera ad astra

I agree with Leoba too, and think it was more a slip in language.

I disagree with Voronwe - be optimistic, we will make it!

Nichts Schöneres unter der Sonne als unter der Sonne zu sein.
(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 06 Mar , 2005 6:58 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

:oops: :oops: Yes - of course that's what I meant... but surely it's not what I type. Really need to slap myself.

Forgive me...... slinks out....

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 10 Mar , 2005 11:48 pm
WYSIWYG

I voted 9 days, because that's what we originally had, prior to adding two days for discussion before the poll, and I quite liked it.
I think I'm usually the Ent here, unable to understand any haste ( ;) ), so, here, too, I don't see what cutting a couple of days would gain us.

I agree with Jny that if there's an ongoing debate after the time is up, the invite should wait till the debate can be resolved - should be self-evident, I think. :)

I don't rightly understand what is meant by "A day should be 24 hours because of the time zone differences."
Time zones have had me puzzled for my invites - I never know whether it's ok to go by when the day is over for me. But I don't understand the above statement. If you really want to wait for all time-zones a day is 48 hours, isn't it? Today, March 11th, for example, started like 9 or so hours ago in Australia and will end in about 32 hours or so in California (plus some more hours for it to end wherever the date line runs).
So - is it ok to go by my own date?

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 11 Mar , 2005 12:14 am
Living in hope

I think what was meant was a full 24 hours where the person posting the poll is. The problem was that sometimes people were declaring at midnight at the end of, say, March 1 that it was now March 2 and the March 2 invitation could be sent. Instead the poll should run for all of March 2--that date is part of the poll.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 11 Mar , 2005 5:07 am
One of the Bronte Sisters

That's right, Prim.

The dates are inclusive dates ... unless someone did it differently and put the tenth day down as the end date ... but the point was that the poll should run for nine 24-hour days.

Jn

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 12 Mar , 2005 12:38 pm
WYSIWYG

Ok, thanks, Prim and Jny - that's what I thought, too! :)

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 26 posts ]
Return to “Threads of Historical Interest” | Jump to page 1 2 »
Jump to: