board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Admins powers - creating new forums

Post Reply   Page 2 of 2  [ 37 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2
MariaHobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 06 Mar , 2005 4:07 am

What's the big deal about creating forums? Is there a space issue? If people don't like a new forum, then they needn't go there. I don't see what would be so horrible about a new forum, even if no one ever used it. It's certainly not important enough to vote over.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Rodia
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 06 Mar , 2005 10:33 am

I think if we choose someone as an admin, if we choose three people as admins, we trust them enough to know they won't just change things on a whim. In the effort of not having posters treated like children, we're starting to treat the admin like ones...They really don't need to be bound by so many restrictions. They're not trolls or strangers. They're people we trust. And there are three of them, working on equal footing. And I think we choose them precisely so that there will be someone who is capable of making rational executive decisions when needed, and let the rest of us relax. Not just to approve people and clean up after trolls.

If for our comfort there needs to be a specific rule stating admins should never drastically change the look of the board, or susbtitute smileys without discussing it with the posters, then let's have one. It won't hurt. I think it's not necessary but it won't hurt.

But I think that all we need to ask of the admins is that they employ common sense, and remember that the board does not belong to them more than it belongs to any individual here. Seeing as they're only in office for three months I don't think they'll find time for megalomaniac illusions.

[ img ]
Help me go to the North Pole! by Magic Madzik, on Flickr

TRYING TO GET TO THE NORTH POLE! You can help by voting: http://www.blogyourwaytothenorthpole.com/entries/244

Profile Quote
Estel
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 06 Mar , 2005 4:36 pm
Pure Kitsch Flavor

Edit: I was mean. :(

Profile Quote
Rodia
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 06 Mar , 2005 6:10 pm

Impossible.

:hug:

[ img ]
Help me go to the North Pole! by Magic Madzik, on Flickr

TRYING TO GET TO THE NORTH POLE! You can help by voting: http://www.blogyourwaytothenorthpole.com/entries/244

Profile Quote
Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 06 Mar , 2005 7:30 pm
Per aspera ad astra

You were not mean, Estel... you were upset and very honest, but with very bad words.... ;)

Nichts Schöneres unter der Sonne als unter der Sonne zu sein.
(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
Ethel
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 06 Mar , 2005 7:33 pm
The Pirate's Daughter

MariaHobbit wrote:
What's the big deal about creating forums? Is there a space issue? If people don't like a new forum, then they needn't go there. I don't see what would be so horrible about a new forum, even if no one ever used it. It's certainly not important enough to vote over.
I agree with this. I think we're teetering on the edge of poll burnout as it is, and need to conserve the voting for fundamental policy issues.

Profile Quote
Estel
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 06 Mar , 2005 7:35 pm
Pure Kitsch Flavor

:oops: yeah, I certainly use that word a lot too :P

Well, I've been talking with Jn and Alandriel. As soon as I figure out how to do it, I'm going to split the tail end of this thread off, start a new thread called "Admin Powers in Creating new Forums" and eventually, after a week or so of discussion, add in a poll"

We've stalled the business of this thread on this one subject enough. Without a new thread, we'll never get off it, and we'll never get anything done :help:

:)

Profile Quote
Lidless
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 07 Mar , 2005 9:56 pm
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

truehobbit wrote:
Alassante_Estel wrote:

Call us registers if that's the case, cause that's all that we would be - people who change the permissions of newly registered invitees. Let's see how many volunteers you get if *that* is the job description.
I forgot that I had meant to comment on this: I seriously hope no one wants to be an admin because of the powers involved.
IMO, *that* is exactly the job description (with the addition of the even less pleasant task of responding to an emergency).
The reason to volunteer for this is because it benefits the community. If we don't get enough volunteers under these conditions, I think the community, that is our experiment of a self-governed community, has failed.
It's very rare that I get exasperated on B77. In fact, I think this is my first time. I hope I come across as measured as I can.

Of course we don't need a special vote for a new forum!!!!

What is an admin? Just a processing machine? Just a filing clerk? Yeah, I can just see people clamoring for the position.

The fundamental job of an admin is to ensure the smooth running and efficiency of a website. A decision to open up a new forum and shuffle existing posts into it is inherently part of increasing that efficiency. A decision to open up a new forum and not put in any new posts (ie - where they perceive there will be a need) is merely anticipation.

Forums are just a convenient way to organize threads, so that posters can easily find threads of specific interest. That's it. Efficiency. It's what good admins do.

We need a vote for every new shuffle of the pack? Do we need a vote every time someone wants to start a new thread? It's the same damn thing.

Please. Enough. Let's focus on something of importance rather than this nonsense.

I can't believe so much energy was spent on this non-issue.

Please, admins, I beg you, let's lock this frigging thread and move on. Or should we put it to a vote first? Or perhaps a vote as to whether we need to vote on it? Or a vote as to whether a poster can ask for a vote as to whether we need to vote on it.

Oh. Have we voted yet on whether admins have the power to lock threads? I don't recall having voted on such a thing. Never mind. Let's not lock it. You're not allowed to yet. But...

Next topic please!

Last edited by Lidless on Tue 08 Mar , 2005 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 07 Mar , 2005 10:49 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

*inserts thumbs up smiley*

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
Teherin
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 08 Mar , 2005 10:40 pm
Titch

yup agreed .. if people are worried then why dont we provide a 'job description' of what being an admin is - that way whoever takes on the position knows exactly what the Terms of Agreement are and the checks and balances on them.
In that way, additionally, when we vote an admin into their position, we are agreeing to their role as defined in the Terms of Agreemtn :)
Sorry .. I understand the need to agree things democratically but if we get bogged down in voting in every time they need to do something a little unsual - such as create a new forum, then we will never address the larger issues :)

All I have to do
Is forget I ever loved him ...

Where are you Sirel ...

Profile Quote
Areanor
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 10 Mar , 2005 9:10 pm
Sharpe-sighted

What Titch said.

I would trust the Admins so far. To play around with the features - that's what the experimental board is for.

And we can always insert into the "job description" a paragraph that when admins want to do something not-so-fundamental, e.g. opening a new forum, they should at least talk about it among themselves. (And vote, if they like to :D )

I don't think it's necessary to involve all the posters in decision progresses like this. If we continue to vote about all this nit-picking things, more and more people will say, "I don't care about this."

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 10 Mar , 2005 10:00 pm
Troubadour of Ithilien

Teherin wrote:
yup agreed .. if people are worried then why dont we provide a 'job description' of what being an admin is - that way whoever takes on the position knows exactly what the Terms of Agreement are and the checks and balances on them.
A code of conduct for Admin and the parameters of their role is something that the committee group are planning to address (or so I'm told - I confess to not having actually read the agenda yet :oops: )

Also found on Facebook - hunt me down via the MetaTORC group.

[ img ]

I just adore the concept of washing Dirty Horseboys!

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 12 Mar , 2005 1:50 pm
WYSIWYG

TheLidlessEyes wrote:
What is an admin? Just a processing machine? Just a filing clerk? Yeah, I can just see people clamoring for the position.
Yes, that's what an admin is. And if you don't want the job, you don't have to volunteer.
Quote:
Please. Enough. Let's focus on something of importance rather than this nonsense.

I can't believe so much energy was spent on this non-issue.

Please, admins, I beg you, let's lock this frigging thread and move on. Or should we put it to a vote first? Or perhaps a vote as to whether we need to vote on it? Or a vote as to whether a poster can ask for a vote as to whether we need to vote on it.

Oh. Have we voted yet on whether admins have the power to lock threads? I don't recall having voted on such a thing. Never mind. Let's not lock it. You're not allowed to yet. But...

Next topic please!
No comment! :roll:

I'm sorry my views on this are so upsetting for everybody. I'll desist from further discussion of this topic, as I think I have explained my views sufficiently.

Last edited by truehobbit on Sat 12 Mar , 2005 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 12 Mar , 2005 2:18 pm
WYSIWYG

Last edited by truehobbit on Sat 12 Mar , 2005 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
Estel
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 12 Mar , 2005 2:34 pm
Pure Kitsch Flavor

You wanna crosspost this stuff across the boards instead of PMing me that you have a problem with me?!?!?!

You got it!

My response to truehobbit in the other place she mentioned this was.....

edited out so I'm not crossposting :roll: and to make my language more polite.

Last edited by Estel on Sat 12 Mar , 2005 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 12 Mar , 2005 3:15 pm
WYSIWYG

Last edited by truehobbit on Sat 12 Mar , 2005 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

From our key principles:

Profile Quote
Estel
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 12 Mar , 2005 4:14 pm
Pure Kitsch Flavor

Quote:
I'm sorry, but I was too angry to PM. I think if you'd notified everyone concerned by the splitting, rather than letting them find out their posts were gone from the thread, getting totally confused and looking for them (no link to the new thread), things might have been easier.

I gave 24 hour notice and said what the name of the new thread would be.

And I have gotten no notice from *anyone* about anyone being confused or unable to find the thread or figure out what's going on.

And if you're too angry to PM, doesn't that say something about whether or not it's a good idea to post? Hell, the only reason I was posting in the thread, instead of PMing you, was that I felt I had to publically defend myself against what I perceived as a public attack.

Again - I will no longer post about this in this thread. If you feel the need to continue the discussion, lets take it outside or to PM. There is no point in derailing this thread more than it has been.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 2  [ 37 posts ]
Return to “Threads of Historical Interest” | Jump to page « 1 2
Jump to: