The Last Homely Site on the Web

Discussion of Invite forum deletion: page 2

Post Reply   Page 1 of 3  [ 54 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 3 »
Estel
Post subject: Discussion of Invite forum deletion: page 2
Posted: Mon 07 Mar , 2005 5:55 am
Pure Kitsch Flavor

Due to a sizeable influx in invites and new member registrations as well as the urgent need to get on top of priority board governance issues, all invites to this board will be stopped as of today until 01 April (at which point the situation will be reassed).

We apologize but this was a necessary executive decision taken by all the admins at this point in time and under the circumstances we're finding ourselves in.

Please understand, we do welcome you to invite your friends to this board - but not at this time. In a few weeks after we have resolved important issues of governance and then reassess the situation, invites will be reopened.

The forum is overloaded with threads that not many find the time to wade through. We have to 'stabilize' our situation here as well as allow the admins to catch up with both the invites already in place, and with the board situation.
  • - Theads that are already running will be allowed to run their course

- New threads starting up as of today will be locked.

- new member that have signed up as of yesterday will continue to be processed - meaning if you get an email from one of the members on the list in the "New members as of March" thread (Admin forum) asking you to be a sponsor you of course may open a thread if it is your wish to do so.

- new members that sign up as of today will be sent an email informing them of this change of policy for the time being and will be asked to please be patient. The same goes for people that just email us.
We hope you'll understand and accept the extraordinary circumstances under which we had to take this decision.We're working towards a splendid future of the Board 77 community and welcome you to take part in that process. If you're interested in helping build a community then please head over to the Business room and familiarize yourself with the threads running their. Your input is valuable. Thanks

Last edited by Estel on Tue 08 Mar , 2005 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Quote
GandalfStormcrow
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 08 Mar , 2005 12:48 am

Estel dear, would that be "reassessed?" "Reass"ing a situation isnt' a procedure I'm familiar with. :P :halo: ;) Might be a bit sloppy...

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject: Re: Invites Halted as of March 7, 2005. PLEASE READ!
Posted: Tue 08 Mar , 2005 1:59 am

Alassante_Estel wrote:
We apologize but this was a necessary executive decision taken by all the admins at this point in time and under the circumstances we're finding ourselves in.
If I can add, its also something that a number of "civilians" have been calling for as well. Thanks for doing this and stating it so clearly.

As for being "re-assed" I wouldn't dare comment. :)

Profile Quote
Estel
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 08 Mar , 2005 2:57 am
Pure Kitsch Flavor

:P

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 08 Mar , 2005 4:17 am
One of the Bronte Sisters

It's like what you do to tires, right?

Jn

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 08 Mar , 2005 9:29 pm
Not so deep as a well

Yeah, and see how many retreads end up falling off by the side of the road? :D

Destiny is a rhythm track on which we must improvise.

In some cases, firing the drummer helps.

Profile Quote
Wilma
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 09 Mar , 2005 12:07 am
Takoyaki is love

Thanks Estel. So if Captian Jack has already signed up, it's alright to start an invite thread for him?

Itoshiki Sensei from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Avatar by: sparklessence

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 09 Mar , 2005 8:12 am
Troubadour of Ithilien

If someone signed or had their thread begun prior to the advent of this notice on 7th March, then yes it's fine to run an invite through to conclusion.

Also found on Facebook - hunt me down via the MetaTORC group.

[ img ]

I just adore the concept of washing Dirty Horseboys!

Profile Quote
laureanna
Post subject: Re: Invites Halted as of March 7, 2005. PLEASE READ!
Posted: Sun 13 Mar , 2005 3:48 am
Triathlete

Alassante_Estel wrote:
until 01 April (at which point the situation will be reassed)
Not sure I want to be around here on April Fools Day. :shock:

Well, I'm back.

Profile Quote
laureanna
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 04 Apr , 2005 6:49 am
Triathlete

OK, so April first has come and gone. I have not read all the threads, but I presume one of them says that plans have changed. Could someone clue me in? I am sooooo out of the loop here. Thanks.

Well, I'm back.

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 04 Apr , 2005 6:52 am
Living in hope

I think we need to be reminded.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 04 Apr , 2005 7:00 am
Troubadour of Ithilien

There is no announcement, nor a firm decision. However I think we could use one. :)

The one call I have heard from several voices is a plea to keep invites on hold for the duration of the convention business.
Eruname wrote:
I think it may be likely that we don't start invites up until the Charter is ratified. We have a voting base now and it would be hard to coordinate a vote with new people who probably shouldn't be allowed to vote since they haven't been around long enough....that's my perception anyhow. ;)
I would thoroughly support that.

Also found on Facebook - hunt me down via the MetaTORC group.

[ img ]

I just adore the concept of washing Dirty Horseboys!

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 04 Apr , 2005 7:13 am
Living in hope

Leoba, I would worry if the constitution process stretches out much longer. And it's pretty complicated. We would be in deep trouble without Jn's orderly, perceptive guidance. But commenting and voting take time, and there is a lot to comment and vote on--and this is just for the committee; then the board must comment and vote.

I just think there's a limit to how long we can stay closed and static before it starts causing pain and trouble of its own. In fact, it already has.

Profile Quote
Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 04 Apr , 2005 7:45 am
Per aspera ad astra

I agree with Prim, but I don't know if the solution is to open invites again or to make the constitution work quicker...

Dilemmas, dilemmas.

Nichts Schöneres unter der Sonne als unter der Sonne zu sein.
(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 04 Apr , 2005 10:07 am
Hasta la victoria, siempre

I'm not involved in the constitution, so I don't fully understand the pressures people are under right now. However I recall seeing suggestions a system of limited invites (say two per week?) could be used.

I'm missing my friends very much, and it grows harder by the day not to talk about what goes on at b77, especialy since one friend no longer posts on TORC. :( I've let her know that she's on the List of People We May Someday Want to Invite, now I'm afraid that that may have been a violation of the privacy of the board.

I know it must be incredibly hard to write a constitution for an awesome place like this, so I don't want people to try and rush it through, putting them under what I see as unneccesary pressure. But I cannot help but feel that whatever the situration, barring all invites indefinatly cannot help but be damaging.

*~Pips~*

Avatar is a male me, drawn by a very close friend. Just don't ask why.

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 06 Apr , 2005 10:20 am
*Ex-Admin of record*

My advise is to wait until the constitution is hashed out. There is, however, no real way to make that process any quicker. People also have RL issues going on. From as far as I can discern, we're about 1/3 through the issues that the pannel will discuss before it can go up for a vote amongst the membership at large (and pls don't hang me on that rough estimate. Just over the top of my head :halo:).

I do understand your view though Pippin :) and so all I can think of is that if we have lots of voices advocating restarting invites (staggered though in some way for otherwise we'll have a right 'mess' ;) again) then we might be have to do that.
Question is, what percentage of the current membership wants to reopen invites at this point in time? And I guess for that a 'feel-out' poll would need to be started (but not by me ;) )

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 06 Apr , 2005 11:13 am
Hasta la victoria, siempre

Alandriel wrote:
Question is, what percentage of the current membership wants to reopen invites at this point in time? And I guess for that a 'feel-out' poll would need to be started (but not by me ;) )
At this precise moment, 48%. :(

*sigh*

*~Pips~*

Avatar is a male me, drawn by a very close friend. Just don't ask why.

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 06 Apr , 2005 4:07 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

It's more like 50/50 but with 'only' 32 votes so far. Yes :oops: I've found the thread where this is taking place finally.
This sorta thing takes time ;) 32 votes out of a potential possible of approx. 150 and those are divided 50/50.... does not look to me (right now that is) there is a great deal of enthusiasm... but this may yet change
:)

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 11 Jun , 2005 11:13 am
*Ex-Admin of record*

Can we (rather sooner than later) schedule a destruction sequence for all of this? As far as I've seen it seems there is pretty much agreement this forum will be bamboozled to the outer reaches (meaning DELETED).

People's post counts will somewhat suffer but I hope there won't be serious objections to that.

To be proper and all, I think we'll need a formal vote on this (10days/10days) and if the current Admin agree, then I think we better get this on the road asap.

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 11 Jun , 2005 11:29 am
WYSIWYG

Alandriel, what kind of vote were you thinking of?

I asked around with the other admins, and the view seems to be that we shouldn't vote on deletions, but come to a consensus, and as there is a consensus about deleting personal invite threads, I think we could just go ahead with this.

Maybe just a vote on the other, non-personal threads, then?

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 3  [ 54 posts ]
Return to “Threads of Historical Interest” | Jump to page 1 2 3 »
Jump to: