board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

re invitations - current procedure re-evalation

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]
*Alandriel*
Post subject: re invitations - current procedure re-evalation
Posted: Thu 10 Mar , 2005 10:57 am
*Ex-Admin of record*

Oh no! Not again!! :roll: I hear you growning - and yes you have permission to slap me around. Thing is.. posters are confused out there. I keep getting PM messages about it (which I answer to the best of my abilities). However, I think a re-evaluation is in order, not only to make it easier for the posters, but also to make it easier for the Admins. And to make the whole thing workeable and consistent.

When you're dealing with invites, do you still update the Registered new users ex Marchthread or not? Is it too much to deal with? (Which I can understand especially in light of ammending the 'location' of registered users once you activate them). If it's too much to deal with - then please let's get rid of it and tell the members so = update the announcement

I've had several PMs these past few days about this and another one again today about the new user Dave_LF. Maria Hobbit contacted me via PM for she was confused. On the memberlist she could see Dave_LF's 'location' updated, but in the New users ex March list that info was not updated. I checked his status on the Admin pannel and replied to her that all was ok. I don't mind doing that, but one look at the New users ex March could have told me (and Maria Hobbit) the latest news.
Mistakes happen. No big deal. But we have an 'organizational' impass the way I see it. If you're evalutation is the March thread is too much - fine. It was a temporary system I've put up in an 'emergency' situation and as I said everything I do is always up for discussion and improvement.

However, what ever system we agree on using we need consistency. Conflicting information available to the members only fosters confusion (and unnecessary PMs to admins, taking more of your time away).

So please: your evalutations, recommendations and ideas. We need to come to an agreement of how to do things and then stick with the process, do the necessary updates (until we or rather you acting admins ;) ) come to another agreement on how to do it better.

PS: a smiliar issue seems to be just *when* an invite thread expires. I've seen a few cases where a poll was declared closed when it really wasn't (keeping timezones for posters in mind). As far as I know, if a poll expires e.g. on the 9th March, people can still vote on that day - meaning the poll can only really be closed once that date changes to the next day - meaning once the US (being pretty much the last in the timeline) reaches midnight ;)

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 10 Mar , 2005 5:50 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

In some ways that thread is good and bad...really I don't know any other way to do it.

Do most posters even know about that thread? Do they really go into Forum Management all that much?

I've done some updating today on it.

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 10 Mar , 2005 9:28 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

Eru - the thread IS important. People DO check it (otherwise I would not have gotten enquiries via PM - 4 to date). The thread is also referenced accross a few places, most importantly in the announcement.

Please do keep it updated. It makes life so much easier all around.

Profile Quote
Estel
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 10 Mar , 2005 9:52 pm
Pure Kitsch Flavor

As I told Alandriel in PM ;)
Quote:
Well, I like the March thread. I always reference it before I go do any activating - course, that doesn't help if others aren't updating it, but I thought they were.

hmmm.

no, keep that thread please. It's the only reference thread I have anymore, and it makes it a heck of a lot easier to keep track of what's going on. I know I'm anal about these things, but it's threads that like that keep confusion from becoming chaos :)

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 11 Mar , 2005 7:35 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

Ummm...where did I say the thread wasn't important? :confused: I was just wondering if members actually checked it.

I thought this was supposed to be a "discussion" about that thread, but you respond with "Please do keep it updated". If the thread was going to stay anyway, why bother starting up this thread?

Seems this has been a waste of time, in my humble opinion.

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]
Return to “Threads of Historical Interest”
Jump to: