board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

How's the weather?

Post Reply   Page 69 of 116  [ 2312 posts ]
Jump to page « 167 68 69 70 71116 »
aninkling
Post subject: Re: How's the weather?
Posted: Tue 07 Feb , 2017 3:53 pm

Corn .... and pigs. ;) You must not have gone through northern Iowa if you missed smelling the latter. :)

Actually, it's usually a crop rotation of corn alternating with soybeans. The land in the Midwest is a little too "tamed" for me - I like more woods, mountains and/or ocean - but I have to say that soybean fields are absolutely gorgeous when they turn gold in the fall.

Society can and does execute its own mandates, and if it issues wrong mandates instead of right, or any mandates at all in things with it ought not to meddle, it practices a social tyranny more formidable than many kinds of political oppression, since, though not usually upheld by such extreme penalties, it leaves fewer means of escape, penetrating much more deeply into the details of life, and enslaving the soul itself. ― John Stuart Mill

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Tue 07 Feb , 2017 5:31 pm
A green apple painted red

Yeah, we saw some soy. We crossed Iowa on the train, no pigs in sight.

And Northeast is all woods. Like Fenimore Cooper novels I used to read.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Sun 12 Feb , 2017 10:39 pm
Aspiring to heresy

We're getting another 20 - 25 cm today and tonight. It comes down faster than I can brush it off the car. I wouldn't be surprised to read about tons of accidents tomorrow.

There's something about fresh snow that brings out the inner puppy in dogs. Bud is like he's five years younger. Willow is... well, more Willowish.

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Mon 13 Feb , 2017 12:25 am
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

Sounds fun! :)

It was about 50F here again today; yesterday was warmer, at around 60F. So weird.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Posted: Mon 13 Feb , 2017 1:10 pm
You are hearing me talk

Yeah. Aside from one week in December, this has been a winter without snow here. And I suspect the average temperature has been above freezing.

Still a couple weeks left.

ETA: Here's the 10 day forecast for what is ordinarily one of the coldest, snowiest times of year:
[ attachment ]
Weather.png (22.99 KiB) Viewed 5210 times

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Mon 13 Feb , 2017 2:51 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Is that normal for your area? We're having the snowiest winter we've had in years.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Mon 13 Feb , 2017 3:57 pm

We are having an unusually warm winter here.

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Posted: Mon 13 Feb , 2017 4:20 pm
You are hearing me talk

Jude wrote:
Is that normal for your area? We're having the snowiest winter we've had in years.
No. We'd usually be having a foot+ snowstorm every week or two this time of year, and temps well below freezing. It's been a very warm winter; warmest I remember in almost 40 years.

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Tue 14 Feb , 2017 9:03 pm

Nasa says last year was the warmest on record:
https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa ... d-globally

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Posted: Wed 15 Feb , 2017 9:07 pm
You are hearing me talk

Pretty much every year is the warmest on record now.

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Thu 16 Feb , 2017 4:36 pm

Yep. I wonder if our place will get warm enough to let us plant zone 7 trees here? When we first moved here 23 years ago, we were solidly in the hardiness zone #5. Now we are in the middle of zone 6.

We may be subtropical in another decade.

Edit: OMG! They have fig trees hardy to zone 5! :D I can plant fig trees! I love fig preserves, but haven't found any online that compare to what my aunt used to make long ago. When we were planting our orchard a couple of decades ago, the only varieties available were only hardy to zone 7.

Figs! :D

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Thu 16 Feb , 2017 5:23 pm
Aspiring to heresy

So, are you gonna go for it?

And more importantly, do you have your aunt's recipe?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Thu 16 Feb , 2017 9:33 pm

Yep, I just ordered a couple of different cold hardy fig trees. They should be here by March 9. :) I don't have the preserves recipe, but I can probably recreate it- given enough figs. :) It probably just involved far more sugar than is popular these days. :blackeye: I mean, how complicated can a whole fruit preserve be? Except that the last batch I tried from Etsy had LEMON slices in it! Ack! (Yeah, I know, upping the acid content is vital for low sugar recipes but still! Ewwww!)

The customer comments section of the tree company made it seem that the cold hardiness is exaggerated, so I'll root some cuttings just before winter and will be able to try again the next year for free. I expect after a few more years of climate warming, they'll overwinter just fine. :neutral: Who knows? Maybe they'll be OK anyway. It's worth a shot for a "tree" that is likely to bear some figs the very first year.

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Thu 16 Feb , 2017 11:57 pm
Aspiring to heresy

MariaHobbit wrote:
I mean, how complicated can a whole fruit preserve be? Except that the last batch I tried from Etsy had LEMON slices in it! Ack! (Yeah, I know, upping the acid content is vital for low sugar recipes but still! Ewwww!)
Funny you should mention that - I once made lemon-fig marmalade and it was delicious :P

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Fri 17 Feb , 2017 3:06 pm

It probably would have been more delicious without the lemon! :P

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Fri 17 Feb , 2017 4:06 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Oddly enough, he thought there was too much fig in it. :P

I think the two of you should join up and make a TV show where you do undercover reviews of restaurants and discuss the food in detail. :D

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Fri 24 Feb , 2017 12:31 am
A green apple painted red

February in California, where half the state is flooding and a fifth is in the midst of a drought, and those areas may overlap.

Still, an improvement of severe drought covering most of the state. Especially since most of the floods happen in the same areas every time there's a storm. You'd think people who live there would be able to draw conclusions.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Fri 24 Feb , 2017 2:15 pm

Frelga, I'm afraid you may overestimating people's ability to make logical decisions. :)

Maria, don't count on figs the first year, no matter what the descriptions say. I planted two hardy figs the year before last, and all I've seen so far is a few new stems. If you can plant them beside the house, though, (no idea how the roots are) you can probably get an extra hardiness zone out of them. I lost "hardy" rosemary a few times before I decided to plant it in a sheltered nook right by the house. Since then, it seems to be doing fine, with some winter protection - burlap with leaves stuffed into it, or a few layers of floating row cover fabric.

Society can and does execute its own mandates, and if it issues wrong mandates instead of right, or any mandates at all in things with it ought not to meddle, it practices a social tyranny more formidable than many kinds of political oppression, since, though not usually upheld by such extreme penalties, it leaves fewer means of escape, penetrating much more deeply into the details of life, and enslaving the soul itself. ― John Stuart Mill

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Fri 24 Feb , 2017 2:57 pm

I wasn't really counting on figs the first year. Most of what I've seen online is about 5 years... but when I was choosing the varieties, there were numerous comments by other customers in similar climates saying they'd gotten a few figs the first year. :scratch:

I intend to put a small fence around each one to keep sheep and deer from nibbling them. Then I plan on filling the area with straw for the first few winters, and taking it off in the spring. That might keep the tops from dying back.

I took one of the jars of inadequately sweetened fig preserves and reboiled everything with a generous dose of brown sugar yesterday. Then I spread some on bread and it was fine. It was just a low sugar problem.

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Wed 01 Mar , 2017 10:17 am
Aspiring to heresy

Two weeks ago we had a ton of snow almost every day.

Last week it turned warm, and a lot of that snow has melted.

Now we have a rain advisory, warning that the ground has a limited ability to absorb rainwater due to recent mild weather and snowmelt. Looking ahead, I see that it goes back down to minus twenty tomorrow and stays that way for a few days.

I've always maintained that March is a great time to get the Udûn out of Canada while it sorts itself out. I wish I were somewhere else now.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 69 of 116  [ 2312 posts ]
Return to “The Turf” | Jump to page « 167 68 69 70 71116 »
Jump to: