Sending Christmas cards to non-Christians

Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 22 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 »
Leoba
Post subject: Sending Christmas cards to non-Christians
Posted: Wed 15 Dec , 2004 4:00 pm
Troubadour of Ithilien

Do you do it?

And by non-Christians, I don't mean heathen creatures with a Christian cultural background, like myself or Nin, but rather those friends and colleagues who are very firmly of another religion.

As usual, this year I find myself in the position of sending cards to Muslim, Buddhist and Jewish friends and colleagues. I try my best to carefully pick out the cards that read 'seasons greetings' instead of anything overtly religous-festival orientated.

But I tend to think I'm a bit nuts. After all, I live in a country where our state religion is Anglican. And I received a very Christmassy Christmas card from a strict Muslim at work today.

So where do you draw the line? Is this political correctness gone mad. If you're from a non-Christian (or strongly Christian) background, how do you react or deal with such things?

Jus' wondering....

Also found on Facebook - hunt me down via the MetaTORC group.

[ img ]

I just adore the concept of washing Dirty Horseboys!

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 15 Dec , 2004 4:01 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

I get around it of sorts by using 'Seasons Greetings' cards rather than those with Merry Christmas etc. :wink:

Never heard of anyone though that would take offense one way or another
:)

Profile Quote
Nienor SharkAttack
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 15 Dec , 2004 4:59 pm

I don't think it should be a problem. We send cards for everything: birthdays, holidays,"I'm happy", "You should be happy", new year, all kinds of religious days... A card makes people happy, simply because it means that someone has thought about you. :)

But if you're sending a Christmas card to someone from another religion, I guess it's not too stupid to avoid some of the most Christian cards, and if you're in doubt, it's always possible to ask if it's okay.

And Leoba, since this is a Christmas card thread, thank you (and Din) so very much for the Christmas card I received yesterday. Really made me happy. :hug:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jaeniver
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 15 Dec , 2004 6:36 pm
I can't count but I'm cute

:Q never even considered sending Merry Christmas cards to be rude...

uh oh...

so youcan see i don't even think and just pick cards i like whetherit says merry christmas or not :roll:

So give me your forever.
Please your forever.
Not a day less will do
From you

~Other half of the Menacing Glare Duo~ partner-in-crime out to confuse the world!

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 15 Dec , 2004 9:17 pm
WYSIWYG

Yeah I'm way too aware of the problem, too, that's why I asked in the addresses-list if anyone here is opposed to receiving Christmas cards, knowing that the vast majority isn't only indifferent, but rather firmly against religion.
No one said they didn't want any, though. :P

If I know someone to be a non-Christian in the sense you mean, Leoba, I only send a card if I think they celebrate anyway - most people do if they have kids.
If I get a response like "thanks, but we don't celebrate Christmas" I just don't send one the next year.
There are also cards that just say Happy New Year, which you can use in such cases.
(Or "seasonal greetings", but we don't get that in Germany.)
Two years ago I had two cards from US posters, which said "Happy Yuletide". When I asked whether that was meant to be hobbitish they said it was to avoid offending non-Christians.

And with the group here - I had considered putting that on the cards I sent, too, but then it felt silly and I decided to be ego-centric - it's Christmas for me, so that's what you're getting! :P
(I picked neutral cards, though, mostly. :roll: )

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 15 Dec , 2004 10:48 pm
Per aspera ad astra

I'm a confessing heathen... so today me and the orcs made X-mas cards...

So you'll get originally hand-made crads, guaranteed by Swiss orcs.

However, despite the fact that I do not believe in God, I talk to my children about the origin of christmas, the birth of Jesus and they know the story of the little stable... My answer to them is that I do not believe that he is the son of God more than anybody else on earth, but that many people in the world believe so, and through out the centuries it has meant hope nad joy for them and we should remember it. I don't like the idea either that X-mas is only and entirely commercial.

So, on Christmas eve, we read the bible... as a story of teh birth of a child in the dark, cold winter, where it brings hope. Like for me all children bring hope and are a sign for us not to be afraid.

If in this bizarre atheist mixture of christian origin, my children understand what I want to tell.... I don't know.

I write "Merry Christmas" in cards - maybe it does not sound that christian in French (Joyeux Noël) - and never really thought about it. :oops:

Nichts Schöneres unter der Sonne als unter der Sonne zu sein.
(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
Nienor SharkAttack
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 16 Dec , 2004 7:05 am

Niniel wrote:
I write "Merry Christmas" in cards - maybe it does not sound that christian in French (Joyeux Noël) - and never really thought about it. :oops:
"Merry Christmas" doesn't sound Christian in Norwegian, either: "God Jul". And 'jul' is actually the name of the old, heathen, nordic mid-winter feast (jól). Perhaps the Norwegian Christians should feel as insulted as everyone else (may do). :wink:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 16 Dec , 2004 7:50 am
*Ex-Admin of record*

LOL - Nin :mrgreen: Sounds familiar - only I mix in some stuff about Muslim culture too.
We sure sometimes have interesting discussions :mrgreen:

Profile Quote
Rodia
Post subject: Re: Sending Christmas cards to non-Christians
Posted: Thu 16 Dec , 2004 11:08 am

I...um. The only people I've sent cards out are folks from 77 and TORC...and if you asked me what everyone's religion is I couldn't tell you at all...

I just write Happy Christmas. I always want to write God Bless You but it's crazy (for me) how so many people read that as an offense instead of a blessing...so I just write Happy Christmas. I hope no one minds. It's just that I don't know.

Actually, when I was writing out a card to Din and Leoba I had a pause for thought- should I write Yuletide or something? But I haven't a clue what as you say heathen people call it, or even what sort of Pagans you are, or if you are, or what...so...I just wrote Christmas.

Besides- it would feel SO fake coming from me... and I think anyone I send a card to knows me well enough to not feel offended and tell me what they prefer to see on their card in future.

The gist of it is, most of us celebrate something in winter, whether it's religious or not. If someone sent me a card wishing me a Happy Bob the Snowman Day, I'd group it under the great cheer of winter.:)

ps. In Polish, Happy Christmas is 'Wesołych Świąt' and just means Happy Holy Days, or Celebration Days since any festivity can be called Święto. (though the plural 'Święta' is only for religious celebrations) You'd get exactly the same greetings on Easter. Christmas is Boże Narodzenie, God's Birth, but you can't say 'Wesołego Bożego Narodzenia', you have to add 'Świąt' and say 'Wesołych Świąt Bożego Narodzenia', which is such a mouthful to fit on a card that people just write Wesołych Świąt.

That, or Gloria in Excelsis.

Raghhh... my God gave me Christmas to celebrate love family etc. I'm celebrating you.

:LMAO:

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 16 Dec , 2004 11:49 am
Troubadour of Ithilien

Rodia wrote:
Actually, when I was writing out a card to Din and Leoba I had a pause for thought....

:LMAO:

What am I? Well my baptism was in the United Reformed Church, my marriage was in the Church of England, and I also put C0fE on my latest census return. But I last went to church in April, when a friend got married and won't go again until a week on Friday. And most years I send out cards with religious scenes from mediaeval manuscripts (only I had so many to send this year I couldn't aford such expensive cards!). :mrgreen:

I guess sort of non-practising Protestant crossed with enquiring agnosticism would sum it up these days. :P For me, Christianity is part of my cultural heritage, so the festivals including their religious side are a natural thing to celebrate. And of course, I'm addicted to visiting churches. :mrgreen:

See, I'm not aware of anyone ever being insulted by receiving a card, but we live in a world of treading on eggshells over these things. I'm sure I recall reading that our esteemed Prime Minister sent out carefully picked, religiously neutral 'Seasons Greetings' cards. Which does to me seem a little silly, seeing as you're only sending them because it's a religious festival. Yet, when I write cards to Muslims at work I'm usually equally careful.

Ugh, I guess I'm just a natural fence fitter with everything. :roll: :mrgreen:

Sharkey, I'm glad it arrived okay. I know one has made it to the States too. *feels smug and organised - ish*

Last edited by Leoba on Thu 16 Dec , 2004 1:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 16 Dec , 2004 11:53 am
Milk and kisses

A little OT, Leoba - how's work today now that the boss has resigned? ;)

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 16 Dec , 2004 12:01 pm
Troubadour of Ithilien

Same as ever, just fewer pawprints and less opportunity to trip over photographers at the front door. The work grinds on regardless of who's nominally at the helm, it's just a different signature on the documentation. :mrgreen:

though to be honest, I haven't seen anyone in mourning ;)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Mummpizz
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 16 Dec , 2004 12:11 pm
Gloriosus

I heard from a Jew that their problem was not receiving greeting cards re a holiday they were supposed not to celebrate, but their children insisting to get presents on both Christmas and Channuka.

I've given up sending Christmas cards long ago, instead I send New Years greetings, that gives me another week time to write them and fits on anyone subject to the Gregorian Calendar.

And btw. this reminds me of that Gimli-Legolas scene, and the talk about fighting and dying aside with an elf - a friend. I am an atheist as staunch as can be, but I am so happy to get greetings from friends, they can celebrate whatever religious holiday they may pick for an occasion.

– – –

Profile Quote
Rodia
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 16 Dec , 2004 12:12 pm

That still doesn't explain what kind of card I ought to send you, Helen!!!!

:P:P

I hate treading on eggshells. If someone gets offended by my Merry Christmas it's their own bleeding fault- and if they consider themselves my friend all they need to do is tell me, Ro, I don't celebrate Christmas and I don't like getting cards about it, wish me Happy Bob the Snowman Day.

Hmmm...do people who don't celebrate Christmas in any way begrudge gifts?:P

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 16 Dec , 2004 12:26 pm
Troubadour of Ithilien

Hmm.. Ro, I'd suggest that, given the time of year and all, a Christmas card might be a safe bet. :P And I wouldn't be offended if you put 'God Bless' on it either if that's what you feel you want to say. I only get snappy about religion when people get all evangelical on me. ;)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 16 Dec , 2004 12:31 pm
Per aspera ad astra

Mummpizz, honestly, I doubt it will arrive before New Years eve....

Nichts Schöneres unter der Sonne als unter der Sonne zu sein.
(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
Rodia
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 16 Dec , 2004 12:44 pm

I was kidding, I know by now you wouldn't raise a fuss.

My problem with mentioning God is that most people who get offended only get offended because the know I'm Christian. It's so mixed up. And it's crazy, because I don't mean anything by 'God bless you' other than 'God bless you'....and not 'You're not following the right path so here's a PROD and REMINDER hello'

Um...no.

There's few gifts as valuable as commending a friend to a deity you believe in. I think it's the best way to fight against intolerance and stereotypes- to make our beliefs known, and show other people they have nothing to be worried about when we embrace them with our religion. Mine says we are all God's Children, regardless of our choices.

Profile Quote
Dindraug
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 16 Dec , 2004 1:56 pm
Tricksy Elf!

Rodia wrote:
That still doesn't explain what kind of card I ought to send you, Helen!!!!
What, I don't get one :rage: Consider eggshells pulverised po'ed

Actually, I don'r care as long as the cards are edable ;) Haveing been born Methodist (I think, unsure there), semi C of E at school, various pagen denominations through association or belief, BA in Religious studies (most of my university course and tutors really thought I was a shaman :Q ), ex-Cof E wife who really turned me off Church altogether, and yet now I work in head office (ironic somewhat)....

Errr, well I am like the confused bunny ;)

'When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from delusion, it is called Religion'.

~Robert M. Pirsig

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 16 Dec , 2004 2:42 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

What's a Methodist Din? Are they methodical.. or should that be.. methodistical??? :scratch

:wink:

I don't care :P Live and let live! All in peace and happiness :mrgreen: And of course I never mind receiving any cards whichever which way :mrgreen:

Profile Quote
Griffon64
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 17 Dec , 2004 8:08 am
Garrulous Griffon

I don't send Christmas cards per se ... but I do send general end of year kind of cards. Like Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year rolled into one :P

moment's hurt may harm or scar
but not inert nor beaten are
those who look and see afar
the healing hand of morning's star.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 22 posts ]
Return to “The Turf” | Jump to page 1 2 »
Jump to: