The Last Homely Site on the Web

A place to talk about weight and "attractiveness"

Post Reply   Page 1 of 19  [ 379 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 3 4 519 »
Estel
Post subject: A place to talk about weight and "attractiveness"
Posted: Sat 13 Aug , 2005 2:42 am
Pure Kitsch Flavor

So as not to osgiliate another thread ("How much are you worth"), I've made this post here. It's in response to posts in that thread, but, hey, weight gets talked about so much on this board, we might as well have a place for it :P
yovargas wrote:
Erunáme wrote:
yovargas wrote:
Btw, straight people are worth about $80K more than gay/bi people. :roll:
Thin and attractive people get a hell of a lot more than average or overweight people...like a few hundred thousands.
Well, yes, but pretty much by definition, the more attractive you are the more desirable you are.
Thin = attractive? :neutral: Fuck that.

I may be trying to loose weight, but I don't want to be thin by any means :suspicious: It's so ironic - there's this commercial on TV with this chica saying "I've gone from a size 10 :Q to a size 4 :cool: and I've never been happier about my body" :roll: I consider a size 4 to be to thin for myself. Some women are that skinny naturally - fast metabolism and all that. However, my goal is a size 10 - the size she was so happy about not being anymore :bang:

I just want to know what is wrong with a woman who has enough fat on her tummy, hips and thighs that her hip bones don't jut out like pointy weapons - why is a woman like that considered overweight and unattractive.

Eru - definitely a D cup, no bigger, and only that big at that time of the month. Otherwise I hover between a C and a D. Weirdest thing is, you remember I posted a little over a month ago that I had gone down to a size 14? Well, I was so happy with myself, that I decided to take a few days off from working out. That's resulted in only working out twice in the past month :roll: Cannot take breaks dammit! Anyway, I've gained all the weight back, but in a weird weird way. I'm down to a size 12-14 on my upper half, but I've gained a cup size and my lower half is up to a 16-18. I'm like a weird pear shape with tits :help: :damnfunny:

Profile Quote
Lidless
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 13 Aug , 2005 2:44 am
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

Official confirmation that Estel is more than a handful. :D

[ img ]

Profile Quote
S_O
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 13 Aug , 2005 2:51 am
I love lamp!

Sometimes I wish that the only thing that had stayed in the medieval ages was the concept of beauty. :roll:

[ img ]
Thank you Isabel!! :hug: :love:

Profile Quote
TheMary
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 13 Aug , 2005 2:54 am
I took the stars from my eyes, and then I made a map, And knew that somehow I could find my way back; Then I heard your heart beating, you were in the darkness too - So I stayed in the darkness with you

I'm curvacious so get ready :devil:

Lay down
Your sweet and weary head
Night is falling
You’ve come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore

Why do you weep?
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see
All of your fears will pass away
Safe in my arms
You're only sleeping

Profile Quote
Lady_of_Rohan
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 13 Aug , 2005 3:26 am
A maiden young and sad

Quote:
I'm like a weird pear shape with tits

I'm writing that one down in my memorable quotes notebook.

Ithilien, the garden of Gondor now desolate kept still a dishevelled dryad loveliness.

Sweet home Indiana
[ img ]

Profile Quote
Rodia
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 13 Aug , 2005 5:00 am

I believe the correct term is aerodynamically curvaceous.

Thin does not = sexy any more than fat = ugly... (though 'fat' is kind of an ugly word.) But regardless of what the world thinks...if you don't like your shape, change it...

(I always say I hate my legs but I guess I don't hate them enough to exercise.:P All a matter of priority. :P Mine is chocolate.)

[ img ]
Help me go to the North Pole! by Magic Madzik, on Flickr

TRYING TO GET TO THE NORTH POLE! You can help by voting: http://www.blogyourwaytothenorthpole.com/entries/244

Profile Quote
DaMuzikMan
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 13 Aug , 2005 5:18 am
Just beyond the surreal

Hmmm... I like a girl at University that many people tease about being overweight... she has a very low self-esteem about her body, and I think it's a shame because she holds herself very well and very attractively... she's also a musician, and when she's in concert dress I think she's one of the most beautiful women in the world. She's definitely a plus-size type of girl, but she's well-proportioned, and she holds herself with a (slightly false) confidence and I think that makes all the difference.

[ img ]
He's baaaaaack!

[ img ] Thanks Lidless!

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 13 Aug , 2005 6:09 am
Insolent Pup

I'm not sure who officially decided that thin equals beautiful, but that is what the social concept of beauty has evolved to today, right or wrong. Perhaps it has something to do with economics. I remember once hearing that in medieval times bigger and curvier was considered beautiful because it meant you ate well which meant you had money. Today is sort of the same. Today a thin woman shows that she can afford expensive diets, or personal trainers, etc, etc, and this means she has money, so my guess is that could be why she's considered beautiful. Maybe the rich wrote the rules...

Personally, I don't hold this to be my definition of beauty. I find a variety of women beautiful (thin, curvy, plump, etc.)

Opinion Note: this does not apply to all, but it seems to be the general feeling in society.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
DaMuzikMan
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 13 Aug , 2005 6:15 am
Just beyond the surreal

TheEllipticalDisillusion wrote:
Personally, I don't hold this to be my definition of beauty. I find a variety of women beautiful (thin, curvy, plump, etc.)
I agree... I guess the trick would be to find one beautiful woman.
TheEllipticalDisillusion wrote:
Today a thin woman shows that she can afford expensive diets, or personal trainers, [...]
... liposuction comes to mind.

Being the young idealist that I am I find it disturbing that beauty is so closely associated with money. But that's matters for another thread.

[ img ]
He's baaaaaack!

[ img ] Thanks Lidless!

Profile Quote
Sidonzo
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 13 Aug , 2005 6:36 am
Everything Is Numb

Estel, you are one of the more beautiful women I've ever seen if your pictures are any indication, and I mean that! :) Of course since I'm not a guy, I don't know how much that is worth ;)

I am also one that feels ugly because of my weight. I was alway unpopular in school and none of the guys I had crushes on ever liked me back. Oh I wanted to be thin so bad! I always thought my face and hair was nice, if only my body measured up! :)

I don't obsess about weight nearly as much now that I'm married (although I do have a hard time believing my husband when he says I am beautiful). I do sometimes think that my clothes would look better on me if I was thin.

~Sidonzo

Profile Quote
ccmsOrlilvr
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 13 Aug , 2005 7:36 am
I didn't mean to hit the ditch

I really hate how people often so closely associate beauty and thinness. I'm not particularly self-concious about my size, but I do dislike having not-quite-as-thin-as-possible thighs and that little bit of gut that sometimes pokes out over the jeans.

But oh well, I'm not going to just eat carrot-sticks for a week, so I guess I'm stuck with the tummy. ;)

Well if you had run a little faster we wouldn't have been arrested.

Profile Quote
sh_wulff
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 13 Aug , 2005 9:19 am

attractiveness is about attitude

not lipocytes

[ img ]

:grouphug: :gropehug: :grouphug:

Profile Quote
Impenitent
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 13 Aug , 2005 10:10 am
Try to stay perky

Recently a current affairs program reported on ome interesting research on female attractiveness.

Apparently women compete on the thinness scale (ie secretly want to lose just those few extra pounds) while men actually prefer a curvier shape.

All those supermodel shapes? They're earning the big bucks because women notice them, not men.

I've never had an issue about my weight - but I still had an issue about attractiveness, always had self-esteem problems. It's all about inner confidence; picking on our thighs and boobs is easier somehow than confronting that there are deeper issues internally that cause all that negative self-talk.

[ img ]

"Believe me, every heart has its secret sorrows, which the world knows not;
and oftentimes we call a man cold when he is only sad." ~Robert C. Savage

Profile Quote
Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 13 Aug , 2005 11:33 am
Per aspera ad astra

I think of myself of being fat... I was a lot skinnier until I had the kids, I never got my body in the shape again it was before (only for a short moment after the car accident last year, and that was not healthy at all!!) I hate to see myself on pictures (and filter them carefully, I mean those who I decide to let go through).

My sister is skinny and beautiful and she has always been more attractive than me and it has always been quite an issue for me. My sister in law (in fact oth of my sisters in law) and my best friend are very thin too and I envy them highly. :( I also dislike that my face is so round, it looks like full moon. I would like to be thin and elegant and sophisticated and all.... I try hard, but unless I am completely depressed, I don't manage to eat less. :( I have no will-power, really...

Nichts Schöneres unter der Sonne als unter der Sonne zu sein.
(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
Anthriel
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 13 Aug , 2005 11:59 am
Seeking my nitid muliebrity

Nin, I think you're beautiful. :)
Impenitent wrote:
Recently a current affairs program reported on ome interesting research on female attractiveness.

Apparently women compete on the thinness scale (ie secretly want to lose just those few extra pounds) while men actually prefer a curvier shape.

All those supermodel shapes? They're earning the big bucks because women notice them, not men.
This is interesting. I rather thought so... women are SO competitive for men's attention. Women who compete for WOMEN'S attention seem, on average, to not be as overly concerned about the stick thin/makeup/boob job thing. I know that's a horrible stereotype, and as all stereotypes go, not always true, but it I have noticed a correlation.

The thought that men actually tend to like curves-- and I mean the package deal, not just bony everywhere except big boobs-- is a comforting one. But I don't see the guys swivel their heads for the big girls. Sorry, it's the little ones who seem to get their attention. :(

I always wondered if the thin = desirable thing is an extension of the YOUNG = desirable thing. That skinny hips/long legs/perky boobs look is relatively easy to achieve at 15, but more difficult at 45.

Is it not only society saying rich looks good (and society will ALWAYS say that rich looks good :roll:), but also that society is saying that young looks good?

Profile Quote
Angbasdil
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 13 Aug , 2005 12:20 pm
The man, the myth, the monkey

The average American woman is a size 14.
That's right - four-fucking-teen!
Size 14 is not fat, it's average.

Never ever ever assume that something is true just because it's portrayed that way by the media. When men talk to each other about who is attractive, it's not the skinny little anorexic stick figures that we notice, it's the curvy women. But even more than that, we notice the women who carry themselves with confidence and attitude.

I'm not in the habit of quoting obscure rock singers, but Fred Le Blanc of Cowboy Mouth said it so very well during a live performance of Jenny Says:
"The thing about it is, there's a lot people in this world who are gonna try and stomp on your heart and try to stomp on your soul; try and sell you things by making you think you're less than what you are, whether it's cigarettes, cars, bras or magazines. These people are fulla crap - don't listen to these people. You look inside your heart, you look inside your soul, you find out what's really there, and that, that is where the real triumph comes from."

Last edited by Angbasdil on Sat 13 Aug , 2005 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Quote
Lacemaker
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 13 Aug , 2005 12:43 pm

Oh my, oh my, this is one topic I feel strongly about.

As a young girl, and later young woman, I spent far too much time and energy and tears worrying about my looks and weight. I look back on pictures of myself at 15, 18, 25, and realize that I was fine!! At 18, I weighed about 145 pounds... But at the time, I was persuaded by everything and everyone, including my own mother, that I would be a better person if I could only lose a few pounds. :( What a load of tripe!

I am now quite overweight, over 200 pounds (almost 100 kilos). I think I will join the gang at "Walk to Rivendell"... At 46, I am more worried about the health issues than the beauty ones, I have learned to accept myself as I am, an intelligent, fun, kind, loving woman. Took me a while.

I hate that society associates thinness with beauty, brains, higher emotions, worth, etc... As if people who do not correspond to the standards have less need of being loved or are incapable of being brilliant. The label that sticks too easily is lazy.. Arrrghhh!!!! :rage:

Profile Quote
moonfariegalena
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 13 Aug , 2005 1:22 pm
The Woman who Knows her Vegetables

it`s ALL about the way you carry yourself, if you have low self esteem it will show in the way you walk down the street (the coolness greatly accentuated by great sunglasses :) ), communicate, etc. and you won`t be as attractive, no matter your weight...
off course, society views tend to lead to low self-esteem because of the way one looks but I really do think that in the end the "attractivness" of a person has very little to do with weight...person just needs to get to the point of realising that...

pst-pst...I was always overweight, but heck even if I was my "ideal" weight I still wouldn`t look like Kate Moss, because guess what- my gense would never allow it!
something the magazines should tell teenage girls-hun, your body is 60% genes, 20% work out, 20% eating properly...

I've been making a list of the things they don't teach you at school. They don't teach you how to love somebody. They don't teach you how to be rich or how to be poor. They don't teach you how to know what's going on in someone else's mind. They don't teach you what to say to someone who's dying. They don't teach you anything worth knowing.

N. Gaiman

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 13 Aug , 2005 1:39 pm

The face is the most important part of the body --- and I like a woman with some meat on the bone ... I despise those rai thin supermodel types that look like they would break in half if you really got going on or in them.

The key thing is proportion ---- you do nto want large areas of fat that just should not be there --- but a beautiful, larger woman who knows how to use her body is a treasure.

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
Estel
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 13 Aug , 2005 2:57 pm
Pure Kitsch Flavor

Well, here is a confession that might be more appropriate in the ToE :Q ;)

I don't actually want to loose weight for looks. Health? Kinda. But really, I just want to be in shape enough that I can have more variety in the bedroom. :devil: Let's face it, flexibility and less fat make better.... maneuvering. :D

I think I'm pretty hot most of the time :neutral: Except for my chin that is... fucker needs to be one chin, not two or three :blackeye:

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 19  [ 379 posts ]
Return to “The Turf” | Jump to page 1 2 3 4 519 »
Jump to: