The Orphanage

Post Reply   Page 77 of 79  [ 1567 posts ]
Jump to page « 175 76 77 78 79 »
Leoba
Post subject: Re: The Orphanage
Posted: Mon 02 Feb , 2009 8:33 am
Troubadour of Ithilien

Jaeniver wrote:
I bought a car too :D Well, me and Cen did.
I read that post out to Din and he said: "but she's not old enough to drive!!!". Must be time you visited us again, to prove you've grown up! You could drive over. ;)

I'm stuck at home today because it's snowing. We have about an inch of the white stuff but London has still ground to a shuddering halt. :roll: And I have a snuffle. :(

Also found on Facebook - hunt me down via the MetaTORC group.

[ img ]

I just adore the concept of washing Dirty Horseboys!

Profile Quote
Eruname
Posted: Mon 02 Feb , 2009 9:10 am
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

I didn't believe it was really going to snow all that much. The weather people tend to exaggerate things from what I've seen...at least when it comes to thunderstorms.

But surprisingly it is snowing fairly hard here. I'll be even more surprised if we get the 6 inches they said we could get.

Unfortunately I have to get out in this stuff. We're on those rubbish prepaid utility meters and we just ran out of gas. I should have known something was up when all the cats started piling on the bed and also wanting to snuggle under the covers. It's around 14C downstairs and 16C up here. So off I go, trugging through the snow to put more money on the meter. :roll:

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
Leoba
Posted: Mon 02 Feb , 2009 2:12 pm
Troubadour of Ithilien

You should get that meter changed, Eruname. I'm sure pre-paid is way more expensive than an ordinary meter. It's the sort of thing you usually only see in cheap rentals. It might cost a bit to get it sorted, but you'd probably see the difference in your bills in no time.

I went out for a walk through the village, which was nice and scenic. Hopefully London Underground will get its act together tomorrow and I can get to work! Although, after yet another weekend away, I'm not really complaining about having an enforced day off!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
jewelsong
Posted: Mon 02 Feb , 2009 2:56 pm
Just keep singin'!

Leoba wrote:
Hopefully London Underground will get its act together tomorrow and I can get to work!
Ha! Most busses still aren't running, even though the main roads look clear.

I had today off too...I celebrated by sleeping until almost 11am! :D Who knows about tomorrow. The whole week looks pretty bad, actually. More snow, sleety and nastiness.

There really IS quite a bit of snow...does London even HAVE snowplows? Or snow shovels? Our road is not plowed, nothing is shoveled....

Profile Quote
Eruname
Posted: Mon 02 Feb , 2009 3:28 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

We were quoted it costing £50 for each of the meters to be changed. We really should do some investigating in what the price difference is between prepaid and billed. Honestly I think it's ridiculous that prepaid meters are charged a higher rate as it's generally the people who can't afford much that have them on their houses (ie council housing).

It seems you all further east are getting much more snow! We've probably only gotten an inch, maybe more, here. The snow is picking up yet again and I think I heard our snowfall will become heavier as the day goes on, but still I don't think we'll have as much as you around London.

I have no idea what our buses are like here as I can't see any from my house. Iavas did say that the train from Swindon to London has been cancelled.

Why can't the trains handle some snow on the rails? :scratch:

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
jewelsong
Posted: Mon 02 Feb , 2009 4:30 pm
Just keep singin'!

I just found out we have no school tomorrow, either...and the rest of the week is still a big question mark!

They've cleared the main road, but my street is still full of slush. And tonight it will freeze and be even worse. Well, I have my big parka and suitable boots and I'm used to the snow, being from New England! And I have a couple of bottles of wine, too.

Anyone want to come over? :D

Profile Quote
Leoba
Posted: Mon 02 Feb , 2009 5:04 pm
Troubadour of Ithilien

Quote:
does London even HAVE snowplows? Or snow shovels?
Probably not. London doesn't get proper snow very often. Last time that there was enough to stick there was in 2002 and then people were saying that they couldn't remember the time before.

The silly thing is, that the roads are fine out here (once one has slithered down the lane to the main road). The gritters have to go out regularly through the winter and this is no worse for us than the snow we had a month ago. I think even my main line train is running, but as it shares tracks with the Tube, we're scuppered. That's what annoys me. I've got a train, but no tracks or signals!

Eru, I can't remember what we pay per unit for our gas and electric, but for our two bed cottage (with rubbish insulation and noone next door) we spend about £30 per month on each at the moment. That's with being out all day of course, but we do tumble dry a lot and run the heating generously when we're in.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Amrunelen
Posted: Tue 03 Feb , 2009 12:20 am
wencherific

Eru wrote:
Unfortunately I have to get out in this stuff. We're on those rubbish prepaid utility meters and we just ran out of gas.
Rubbish indeed! The student flats I'm living in in Glasgow have that and it's a royal pain. :neutral: Especially with all of these cold snaps. Not only that, but it's hard to get everyone to pay up each week. :roll: Down to two pounds something when I just popped into the kitchen and had a look at the meter. *sigh*

I was also amazed at the amount of snow today....I don't think it stopped even once! The sun tried to poke through a couple of times earlier on. Seeing as it's only a short walk for me to my studio I had no good excuse not to be there. Just about fell and slid down the lovely steep hill I climb up and down each day. :neutral:

*wishes for cancellations tomorrow*

[ img ]

"Morning has broken and I have felt a presence that disturbs
me with the joy of elevated thoughts; a sense sublime of
something far more deeply interfused, whose dwelling is the
light of setting suns, and the round ocean and the living air,
and the blue sky, and in the mind of man; a motion and a
spirit, that impels." -Wordsworth

Profile Quote
eärendil
Posted: Tue 03 Feb , 2009 1:03 am
citoyenne du monde

Geez the orphanage has been busy... :lol:...

I want to thank Lali, Ara and all the others who offered their congratulations on our engagement (as in my HTB and me)... It means a lot.

I haven't been on much last week because I actually started a job last Monday and so I am now working 9-5 Mon-Fri. It is not my dream job but it is a job and it is only 5min away from my apartment so it is convenient. And the people are nice. I'm looking for something else but really until I get something with the government or the UN I can stay here and be comfy :lol:... They want to forward me into the senior management department as soon as my 3month probationary period so it's ok really ;).

Hugs to you all and especially those of you who find themselves in feet of snow :D :D

I Endure in order to Reflect
Transcending Order
I seal the Matrix of Endlessness
With the Cosmic tone of Presence
I am guided by the power of Spirit

Who can say if I've been changed for the better, but
Because I knew you,
I have been changed for good

Profile Quote
Jaeniver
Posted: Mon 09 Feb , 2009 5:36 pm
I can't count but I'm cute

Congrats Eari!!!! That's a gorgeous ring! When will the major event happen and more important where?

Leoba, hehe I am old enough alright but am a few months away from obtaining that precious piece of paper. I must however get over there and try driving on the other side :P how confusing will that be.

Take care with all that snow by the way. Sound like quite a hassle.

Hugs

So give me your forever.
Please your forever.
Not a day less will do
From you

~Other half of the Menacing Glare Duo~ partner-in-crime out to confuse the world!

Profile Quote
eärendil
Posted: Tue 10 Feb , 2009 12:39 am
citoyenne du monde

Jae darling you have a PM ;) ;) the major event will be taking place late May or beginning of June 2010 in Paris... If I want my uncle (and his daughter who I intend to have as a flower girl ;)) to be there this is what I gotta do :D :D :D. Don't mind either since if I am taking my PhD I will finish my classes late April so I don't want to rush afterward :lol:

Transcending Order

Because I knew you,

Profile Quote
Leoba
Posted: Wed 11 Feb , 2009 9:43 am
Troubadour of Ithilien

Does your new signature mean you've picked an exact date then Eari?

Jae, drving on the 'wrong' side is more a mindset than anything, it's amazing how quick you adapt. At least that's what I've found driving on the continent. Although the M25 is evil and probably the worst introduction to the UK you could have!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
eärendil
Posted: Thu 12 Feb , 2009 3:00 am
citoyenne du monde

Well we had, but as my mum told me Sunday, we might have to change it because my uncle can probably only be here if we have it a couple of weeks later. We were thinking May 22nd might June... I have to check with my exiled family (Japan is so much further than Canada :lol: :lol:)

Transcending Order

Because I knew you,

Profile Quote
EdaintheRanger
Posted: Sun 27 Sep , 2009 9:49 pm
The Red Fox

Hello there everyone,

How is it going?

Time flies by so quickly these days - you blink and the next Christmas feels like it is just around the corner. I don't get on the internet much these days because it is such a timesink. There just aren't enough hours in the day, no matter how hard I juggle and time manage. Even so I still think of this place and you guys and gurls from time to time, and wish I could come back.

Life has been pretty crazy this year, what with my mom being ill and everything. I managed to get a job in local government and I'm loving it. Its really good. I have an interview for a permanent post on Tuesday. :)

I hope to catch up with you all online sometime in the nearish future. ;)

We need courage, faith and Chocolate Cake.

Profile Quote
Leoba
Posted: Mon 28 Sep , 2009 10:09 am
Troubadour of Ithilien

Hi Edain, I was just wondering about you the other day. Calle has posted a picture from the first TORC Oxford Moot on Facebook, and you're one of the few people not 'tagged' in it, what with not being on there and all. ;) Congratulations on getting the job and loads and loads of luck to you for Tuesday. :D How are things with your mum?

I also can't believe that this thread hasn't moved in so long! Last activity was about the time I found out I was pregnant and now I'm on maternity leave and playing the wating game (okay - rushing around like normal, still trying to find space to move in a tiny cottage!).

Last edited by Leoba on Tue 29 Sep , 2009 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jaeniver
Posted: Mon 28 Sep , 2009 4:16 pm

Good luck Edain! So wonderful being involved in local things. I am aiming for something similiar for my graduation project.
Sorry to hear about your mother by the way. I had no idea. Is she on the mend now though?

I am just so excided Leoba, I keep checking your facebook for the liberating words ;) You're not planning to move to something bigger now do you?

All is well on my end. Busy with uni still (final year so yay!) and looking forward to being in London again in october.
I am very glad to see some life here. I miss sharing useless bits of info with everyone online ;)

Take care everyone!

So give me your forever.
Please your forever.
Not a day less will do
From you

~Other half of the Menacing Glare Duo~ partner-in-crime out to confuse the world!

Profile Quote
Leoba
Posted: Tue 29 Sep , 2009 9:54 am
Troubadour of Ithilien

Jae, we can't afford to move to anything bigger (not with the prospect of nursery fees and running a second car to come). Besides, we've just spent all our money making the kitchen look beautiful so it'd be nice to enjoy it for a few years more. :)

I wish there was a chance of meeting up when you're in London, but there's no way I'm travelling up to town at the moment - it's so nice not to have to think about trains and tubes for a change!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jaeniver
Posted: Thu 01 Oct , 2009 6:55 pm

Of course you want to enjoy the new kitchen. Do you have any pics of it? Very curious.

I wouldnt have let you travelled up any way :P you need to stay put as much as possible I think. It wont be my last visit I'm sure. I still need to introduce Roan to the wonderfullness that is London.

I'm so glad it nearly friday. I'm exhausted and just want to sleep and sleep. You all getting though the week alright?

So give me your forever.
Please your forever.
Not a day less will do
From you

Profile Quote
Berhael
Posted: Wed 07 Oct , 2009 9:48 am
Milk and kisses

Leoba has some news. :D

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
Estel
Posted: Wed 07 Oct , 2009 11:10 am
Pure Kitsch Flavor

Doesn't she just :Q :love:

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 77 of 79  [ 1567 posts ]
Return to “The Turf” | Jump to page « 175 76 77 78 79 »
Jump to: