board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Halloweens to remember

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 1 post ]
WampusCat
Post subject: Halloweens to remember
Posted: Sun 30 Oct , 2005 2:44 am

OK, so I'm a few days early. My son went off to a Halloween party tonight (dressed as a banana! :banana: ), so I'm in the mood. Let's share tales of memorable Halloweens.

I'll never forget the year that I moved on Halloween. A friend had asked if I'd like to share her house and split the rent. So on Oct. 31 my cats and I moved in with my friend and her dog. The cats weren't too pleased with this arrangement, but they quickly found places to hide from the rambunctious Labrador.

They were especially fond of lurking behind the curtains, on the window sill. That's where they were hiding when trick-or-treaters came to the door.

Doorbell rings. Dog runs barking toward the door. Cats in window beside the door go into fright mode, complete with arched backs, fluffed fur and hissing. We answer door, candy in hand. The awed children point to the cats and ask, "How did you train them to DO that?" :LMAO:

It would have been funny once, but it happened again and again, every time a child came to the door.

Oh, and did I mention that both cats were solid black?

:D

My second Halloween tale is about something that didn't happen. You might call it a memorable non-memory.

As evening fell on Halloween, I sat alone, gloomy because a relationship had fallen apart. Suddenly I decided to go have a drink at a neighborhood bar. Who knows, I thought, maybe I'll meet the love of my life there. The thought made me laugh. I'd never met anyone worth spending time with in a bar.

But I was bored, so I went anyway. I found an empty seat at the bar and ordered. No one spoke to me and I spoke to no one. It was crowded and noisy, and everyone else seemed to be there with friends. So after one beer I left.

Five months later, I met the future Mr. WampusCat. Eventually we went to that same bar to hear some live music, and I mentioned my only other trip there. It turned out that he was in that very bar at the same time on that Halloween night, sitting with friends at a table not 10 feet away from where I drank my beer. I could have met the love of my life there after all! :Q I guess it's not surprising, though, that two introverts failed to connect.

So, any Halloween stories to share?

Word shaper / Soul tender / Melody maker

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 1 post ]
Return to “The Turf”
Jump to: