board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

November is Board77 goes to Broadway Month!

Post Reply   Page 3 of 10  [ 189 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 510 »
cemthinae
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 03 Nov , 2005 7:33 pm
TTBK's cemmie

I'd say middle school aged & up, personally.

There are definetely "adult" themes in the musical, but the story has been changed to be more positive. :)

LOL story: In the lobby before the show they really peddle the book to people. A family standing in front of us was exclaiming how they should get the book to read together.

I couldn't help it. I leaned in, with straight face, and said "I hear it makes a great bedtime read."

:D

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 03 Nov , 2005 9:50 pm
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

The first time I ever heard of Wicked was while wandering around Times Square with The Mighty Squid and her hubby, Eric. Never knew there was a book. What are some of the adult themes in it? And in the musical?

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 03 Nov , 2005 9:50 pm
Another bright red day

There are definitely adult themes, but I don't think someone younger would catch on to them/be able to appreciate them. They'd still be able to enjoy the show though, just from Elphaba and Galinda's reationship, and the wonderful songs.

Cem, :LMAO: that's wonderful.

TehMary, I :love: your sig and avatar! Both fabulous shows. :D

*E*, in the book, there are a lot of very complex themes. I've read the book three or four times, and I'm definitey still grappling with them. It's also exceedingly dark. There is next to nothing happy about the book. Not to mention that Elphaba and Fiyero have a rather intense and, at times . . . graphic relatioship. The show is much more light and bubbly, but there's still the question of what is evil, Elphaba's relationship with Galinda and with Fiyero, death, and of course the song called "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished." It's still dark, just not nearly as much as the book.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
cemthinae
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 03 Nov , 2005 10:20 pm
TTBK's cemmie

The music for Wicked is so good! :D It's what has really drawn me in. I love "Defying Gravity" & I think my fav song of the show is "I'm Not That Girl".

I honestly wouldn't take my siblings to go see it, but my same-aged cousins have seen it & their parents found nothing wrong with it. (Yet, oh the horrors of Harry Potter... :roll:)

I really didn't like the book & still see parts of it in the musical I wish weren't there... but I'm an odd one, I am!

:Wooper:

Edit to add: I didn't care much for the musical at first either, but I really like it now! I would highly recommend going to see the show if the chance should arise! :D

And while you're at it go see Hairspray too!! :love:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
prettyinpink
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 03 Nov , 2005 10:48 pm

Location: new jersey when I'm @ school and Boston when I'm at home

Well I can't say I know where your coming from because I :love: adored :love: the show right of the bat!! I do, however, think it makes perfect sense that you don't like the book. I am reading the book right now and they are sooo different. The book is very dark and has no music, Gregory Maguire has one of those writing styles where either you love it or hate it. I love Hiarspray too I haven't seen it on Broadway but I saw in Boston and I loved loved loved it :love:

[ img ]

<3 Happy Valentines Day <3

Profile Quote
Iavas_Saar
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Nov , 2005 3:39 am
His Rosyness

I really do need to listen to Wicked it seems..

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Nov , 2005 5:14 am
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

:scared:

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
Wittman
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Nov , 2005 7:44 am

Broadway Month, huh?

2 summers ago, I got to see 'The Producers' while it was in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Simply awsome! Unfortunately it of course was not Nathan Lane and Broderick, but the guys playing Bialistock and Bloom did all right. The ones that stole the show were the gay director and Ulla.

My God, apparently the gal who played Ulla was the same one that played her on Broadway and she was simply AMAZING! When she did the 'When you got it, Flaunt it' number, I was in awe. I didn't even realise it till after Bialistock made the 'standing ovation sitting down' comment that the whole time I hadn't been thinking what a typical male should have been about her. It was a sight to see, this beautiful 6 foot tall (had to be) blonde haired woman singing and dancing across the stage while maintaining (trying to, at least) a Swedish accent. She was so graceful in how she did it, easily my most favorite part of the production as well as my favorite song from the score.

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Nov , 2005 10:22 am
of Vinyamar

Gotta love Ulla! It'll be interesting to see how Uma Thurmann handles it in the new movie! She looks good in the new trailer:

http://www.sonypictures.co.uk/movies/theproducers/

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Holbytla
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Nov , 2005 12:58 pm
Grumpy cuz I can be

Oooh a Broadway thread. Does this mean I get to sing showtunes? Ohhhhhhhhklahoma where the wind comes whipping down the plains. :devil:

I am not huge into Broadway things, but do I have this sequence correct?
A Mel Brooks movie is made into a play and there is now a movie coming out based on the play? :scratch:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Nov , 2005 3:02 pm
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

If that gets your wheels turning, Holby, think of the Phantom of the Opera: the novel was written in 1910, the first film came out in 1925, got turned into at least another half dozen films, one of the most recent adaptations was the stage musical, which was then turned into another movie that came out last year.

Fun fun.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Nov , 2005 3:30 pm
of Vinyamar

Holby you're such a n00000bie

In Oklahoma the wind comes sweeping down the plains.

Sheesh :roll:

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Holbytla
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Nov , 2005 3:45 pm
Grumpy cuz I can be

Hah!! I've been to Oklahoma and let me tell you that the wind doesn't sweep. It whips.

Godfather, Godfather,
Hit me no hits
We're running scared
We got the shits
Playing with matches
A guy can get burned
So,
Kill me no kills
Stiff me no stiffs
Hit me no hits
Fry me no guy
(I guess he don't really
have to die)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Wittman
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Nov , 2005 4:39 pm

somebody messed up my State's song? Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :x

Profile Quote
Holbytla
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Nov , 2005 5:08 pm
Grumpy cuz I can be

The state song should be "Everyone Knows This Is Nowhere" by Neil Young.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 06 Nov , 2005 7:58 am
Another bright red day

Okay, this is B77 goes to Broadway month, and I'm a B77er and I went to Broadway this weekend, so here's my story.

On Friday, Prettyinpink and I went to see the new show Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. It's a show about two conmen in the south of France with a bet on who can scam money out of a simple American girl first. John Lithgow and Norbert Leo Butz (OBC Wicked) (who has one of the best names EVER) were the two con-men, and Sherie Renee Scott (OBC Aida) was the American girl. Let me tell you, this show is HILARIOUS. I'm not sure what it was about it, but I loved it. Norbert was easily the best part. Watching him as this crass, raunchy con man it was SO difficult to picture him as the suave, smooth Fiyero singing "As Long As You're Mine," or even "Dancing Through Life." He was brilliant, the show was hilarious, and it was loads of fun.

Of course, we missed the last train back to New Jersey, so we stayed the night in NYC and hung out with my aunt and uncle. Because we were in the city anyway, we decided to get half price tickets to see The Producers. The Producers, as you may know, got a record winning 12 Tony Awards and is one of the quintessential Broadway shows. Honestly, I'm not sure what all the hype is about. It was a wonderful show and I really enjoyed it, but it was not, to me, the quinessential Broadway.

After that, we came back to NJ via the cab ride from HELL, but as this is not the cab drive from hell thread, that is all I shall say.

That was our weekend adventure to Broadway.

Oh, and I :love: Norbert Leo Butz. :D

[ img ]

Profile Quote
prettyinpink
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 06 Nov , 2005 9:20 am

Location: new jersey when I'm @ school and Boston when I'm at home

YAY!! for Pinky and Mossy's adventures into the big NYC!!!! AND YAY for NORBERT!!! I adore him :love: John Lithgow and Him made an unbeatably hilarious combination!! Of course Norbert was better, but Lithgow was still fantastic!!! Sherel rene Scott was also wonderful she's got an amazing voice I wish I had seen her in Aida!!! Producers was also wonderful (although I did not like it as much as Dirty Rotten Scoundrels) I mean how can a show with a song called "Hitler in the Spring Time" be bad?!? Honestly!! Anyway I recommend them both highly!!! Go while Norbert's there :love:

[ img ]

<3 Happy Valentines Day <3

Profile Quote
Lhaewin
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 06 Nov , 2005 11:33 am

A musical thread! Well, my favourite musical is Phantom Of The Opera. I saw it in Hamburg and London some years ago. In February I had a guided tour in the Opéra Garnier in Paris, but the Phantom didn´t turn up, although we had a look at box no.5. It was very interesting though.

In December my hubby and I will go on a business trip together to Hamburg which includes tickets for "The Lion King". Has anyone here seen it?

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Oscar Wilde

Profile Quote
Iavas_Saar
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 06 Nov , 2005 3:15 pm
His Rosyness

Well, I'm excited!! :D

As some may know, I'm a huge Lloyd Webber fan, and I've just ordered this:

[ img ]

A new ALW show, yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay :D

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 06 Nov , 2005 6:26 pm
Another bright red day

Lhaewin, The Lion King is a brilliant, brilliant show. It has wonderful music of course, but visually it is stunning. I mean that literally, by the way. I sat through the whole show like this: :Q It's absolutely mind boggling. I hope you enjoy it!

Iavas, I've never heard of that show. I'd be interested to know what you think of it.

Also, have you heard of The Woman in White?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 3 of 10  [ 189 posts ]
Return to “The Turf” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 510 »
Jump to: