board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

How's the weather?

Post Reply   Page 2 of 116  [ 2312 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5116 »
Lord_Morningstar
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 04 Mar , 2006 9:43 am

You know what? It might even be cool enough now for me to get something with long sleeves out of my wardrobe and put it on. They've been all sitting there for about four or five months unworn - it feels weird to put on warmish clothes for the first time in a year.

[Space for Rent]

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 04 Mar , 2006 10:16 am
Milk and kisses

All this talk of Fahrenheit is leaving me :neutral: - I can only think in centigrade and metric...

It's around 3C here (Midlands, England) now - there's still patches of snow in shaded areas, and there was a very light flurry of snow earlier on, but it's bright and sunny now. I've just returned from a week in Madrid where it was icy cold at night, but with heights of 11-14C during the day, and gloriously sunny. I soaked up the winter sunlight, only to discover that the weather was only marginally colder here in Britain and just as sunny. I love crisp, sunny winter days, because they make me feel happy and active, like a lizard sunning itself. :) It's the only time when I appreciate sunlight; well, I like it generally when the temperature is cool, but I hate summer heat! :D

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
Lord_Morningstar
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 04 Mar , 2006 10:20 am

Berhael wrote:
All this talk of Fahrenheit is leaving me
You're not the only one - I have a Celsius/Fahrenheit converter added to my favourites. I can deal with feet and pounds easily enough, but the Imperial system of measuring temperature is pretty much meaningless to me.

[Space for Rent]

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 04 Mar , 2006 10:23 am
Milk and kisses

Really? I thought you used imperial measurements in Australia for practically everything. Shows you what I know... :whistle:
I have a link to an online converter too, which I use when I need to know something exactly, but generally I'm lazy and think of miles as kilometres and a half, pints as half litres, etc. :oops:
I've more or less learnt that I'm roughly five feet four, but that means nothing to me - I know very well that I'm really 1,63m! :D

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
The Watcher
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 04 Mar , 2006 2:57 pm
Same as it ever was

Berhael wrote:
I know very well that I'm really 1,63m! :D
Even I know that if you are 163 meters tall, you just broke a world record for height. :D:P:D

Scientists tell us that the fastest animal on earth, with a top speed of 120 miles per second, is a cow that has been dropped from a helicopter.

Never under any circumstances take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

- Dave Barry

Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive...
Supermassive Black Hole.

- Muse

[ img ]

Profile Quote
enchantress
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 04 Mar , 2006 7:35 pm
Sorcery in Action

Ditto on the farenheits... I too convert.
LOL... the coma issue... In poland we put comas in big numbers, to denote the thousandth spot... so the north american
1500 is often writeen as 1, 500

When I first came here I was getting math things at school wrong beause the coma was taken as a decimal :P

I have since abandoned the use of the coma.

Falling into Autumn... :)

Profile Quote
The Watcher
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 04 Mar , 2006 7:49 pm
Same as it ever was

I do not know why we Americans are so stubborn in being against the metric system. We are the lone holdouts here in the States to my knowledge. And, certainly the metric system is used in all of our math, science, and even some medical fields.

I remember there was a huge push for conversion to metric in the early seventies, we were all taught metric system in school and the conversions, but then it just died out for whatever reasons. Our cars and marked measuring cups and scales etc. all have both the old "English system" (or whatever it is) and metric marked on them, maybe someday we will finally join the modern world. :D It certainly would be easier, and I think I could learn to get it.

As far as commas in mathematics, yes, we DO put a comma after every three numerical places when writing it out, whereas a period denotes a decimal point or other shorthand. Hence, 1,500,000 for "one and a half million", or 1.5 million.

Scientists tell us that the fastest animal on earth, with a top speed of 120 miles per second, is a cow that has been dropped from a helicopter.

Never under any circumstances take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

- Dave Barry

Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive...
Supermassive Black Hole.

- Muse

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 04 Mar , 2006 8:32 pm
Milk and kisses

You know Watcher, I had to read your post twice before I realised what you meant. :blackeye: :LMAO: I learnt to use commas for decimals, and since I moved to the UK I've used decimals very rarely... d'oh! :D

In Spain we use dots for thousands, and commas for decimals; and I'm pretty sure I've even seen apostrophes used for things like height (although I'm pretty sure it's incorrect).

In Spain 1.000 means one thousand.
0,50€ means half a euro.
And if I see someone saying they're 1'80m tall I'm not surprised.

I'm not sure if this is a European thing or just Spanish. :scratch:

Let's say I'm 163cm tall (or short). ;)

Profile Quote
The Watcher
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 04 Mar , 2006 9:09 pm
Same as it ever was

Berhael wrote:
You know Watcher, I had to read your post twice before I realised what you meant. :blackeye: :LMAO: I learnt to use commas for decimals, and since I moved to the UK I've used decimals very rarely... d'oh! :D

In Spain we use dots for thousands, and commas for decimals; and I'm pretty sure I've even seen apostrophes used for things like height (although I'm pretty sure it's incorrect).

In Spain 1.000 means one thousand.
0,50€ means half a euro.
And if I see someone saying they're 1'80m tall I'm not surprised.

I'm not sure if this is a European thing or just Spanish. :scratch:

Let's say I'm 163cm tall (or short). ;)
:D

I had no idea that the notations for currency or numbers varied from country to country, culture to culture. Even here in our insular US, things we see from Canada or Mexico use the same mathematical shorthand, so I apoligize for making fun of your own notations. It really DOES point to the need for some one universal system, doesn't it? :)

For the record, I am 5 feet almost 11 inches. In metric, that means I am a whopping 180.34 centimeters. So I guess I am 1.80 meters? 17 centimeters taller than you? Like I said, it would take some getting used to, but I do think the US should do it. Especially when it comes to fuel conversions, we talk about barrels and gallons and such, wheras I have no idea what Europeans measure such things in aside from kiloliters and liters.

- Dave Barry

Supermassive Black Hole.

- Muse

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 04 Mar , 2006 9:20 pm
Milk and kisses

We use litres for most liquid things, save for large volumes of water in reservoirs, say - for that we use cubic metres. And for crude oil we use "barrels", although I have no idea what that is, to be honest - but I used to hear it on the news. :D

In fact most of the measurements in the metric system get used very rarely; for instance, for distances we normally use only metres and kilometres, not decametres and hectometres, etc. The last time I used those were in school, learning to make conversions. :D It's easy because you just add or substract zeros. :)

I find centimetres and millimetres handy for measuring small things - I can more or less grasp feet and inches, but I get lost when people start talking about eighths of inches. :Q

As for Fahrenheit - I know that I like temperatures in the seventies and that's about it! :D I was glad when they started using Celsius in the UK.

Although by law the UK is now supposed to be metric, and in fact it's so since the seventies, when they started by decimalising the pound, most things come labelled in imperial and metric, and things like milk come still in pint and multiples of pint bottles - for instance, a 2 pint bottle, with a label saying "1.136 litres". Btw, a UK pint is larger than a US pint.

As for our relative heights: yes, you're practically 180cm tall, or 1m 80cm, so yes, you're 17cm, or 6.69in taller than me. I'm average height for a Spaniard, but as Erunáme can tell you, really pocket-sized. ;)

Profile Quote
Holbytla
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 04 Mar , 2006 10:27 pm
Grumpy cuz I can be

Woah TW is tall. So is Eru. I got about an inch on both of you. I am 6' or 72" or 182.88 centimeters or 1.8288 meters.

When I was 12, they started to teach the metric system in school.
They tried for a few years, hoping to establish some consistency with the rest of the world, but gave it up eventually. Soda comes in liters, but just about everything else comes in ounces or gallons.
I have no concept of kilometers, centimeters or celsius.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Lord_Morningstar
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 04 Mar , 2006 11:27 pm

Celscius is not too hard to get - remember that water boils at 100 degrees and freezes at 0 degrees. Mild, warm weather is in the 20s, hot weather in the 30s, and a tropical heatwave is in the 40s. 100 degrees F is 37.5 degrees C.

Weights and measures are easier than temperature - the translations are pretty linear. An inch is 2.54 cm, a metre is about three and a third feet. 1.6 kilometres make a mile, and 2.2 lbs make a kilogram. We often still refer to things in feet and inches here, even though we use the metric system, and I'm comfortable with both metric and imperial distances and weights. Volume, temperature and just about everything else is another matter.

[Space for Rent]

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 04 Mar , 2006 11:44 pm
Milk and kisses

Lord_Morningstar wrote:
Celscius is not too hard to get - remember that water boils at 100 degrees and freezes at 0 degrees.
That's why I think that centigrade degrees make sense. :D

Profile Quote
Jaeniver
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 05 Mar , 2006 9:57 am
I can't count but I'm cute

Anything above 30C and below 0 is bad :P :D

that's why i wasn't impressed with the -10 weather report last night. :rage:

So give me your forever.
Please your forever.
Not a day less will do
From you

~Other half of the Menacing Glare Duo~ partner-in-crime out to confuse the world!

Profile Quote
Nienor SharkAttack
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 05 Mar , 2006 12:44 pm

Quote:
How does the weather make you feel right now?
Cold. Very cold. It's -15 degrees Celsius here - and we're tearing down the walls in our house (= no insulation)! :rage:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 06 Mar , 2006 2:57 pm

Erunáme wrote:
MariaHobbit wrote:
They always say about Missouri: If you don't like the weather, just wait a day or two. It'll change.
That's always said about Texas as well. Somehow I'm thinking this is said of a lot of areas. :neutral:
I just read this in a book this weekend, about a different area- so, yes, the saying is more widespread than I thought. :shrug:

I keep a celsius/fahrenheit converter in my favorites, too.

It could be worse, Nienor. When I was a teenager, my parents moved out onto some land and built a small cabin. They did all the work themselves, and that first winter, they didn't have any siding on the building, just a thin sort of insulation board, about a cm thick, with gaps you could see daylight through. :shock: The only heating in the cabin was an old wood cookstove, and we slept upstairs in a loft-like area. It used to get SO cold up there. I remember once when I was sick, and I tried to take a glass of water with me to bed so I could sip it when I coughed. The water froze, long before morning. When I'd go to bed, the bed would be so cold I'd have to curl in a little ball to keep from freezing. Slowly, as my body heat warmed the bed, I'd be able to stretch out.

Winters in those parts typically have lows ranging from 10° F (-12°C), sometimes as low as -10° F (-23°C), and the upstairs of that house was only marginally warmer.

And we didn't have indoor plumbing that first year, either, so we had to relieve ourselves outside. Brrrrrrrrrrr!

Things are infinitely better now.

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 06 Mar , 2006 4:55 pm
You are hearing me talk

Tip of the day: Here's an easy way to do approximate C/F conversions in your head. Multiply the C temperature by 2, then add 30. To go the other way, subtract 30, then divide by 2. The approximation will be way off for very high or very low temperatures, but works pretty well for the range you're likely to encounter outside.

(the real forumula is C = 5/9(F - 32) )

Profile Quote
Lhaewin
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 06 Mar , 2006 5:24 pm

Jaeniver wrote:
Anything above 30C and below 0 is bad :P :D
I completely agree, Jae.

Here the weather takes turns in snowing and raining, sometimes the sun turns up for a minute. It is wet and chilly - around 0° C and I am waiting for spring weather to plant some flowers.

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Oscar Wilde

Profile Quote
Nienor SharkAttack
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 06 Mar , 2006 8:33 pm

MariaHobbit wrote:
It could be worse, Nienor. When I was a teenager, my parents moved out onto some land and built a small cabin. They did all the work themselves, and that first winter, they didn't have any siding on the building, just a thin sort of insulation board, about a cm thick, with gaps you could see daylight through. :shock: The only heating in the cabin was an old wood cookstove, and we slept upstairs in a loft-like area. It used to get SO cold up there. I remember once when I was sick, and I tried to take a glass of water with me to bed so I could sip it when I coughed. The water froze, long before morning. When I'd go to bed, the bed would be so cold I'd have to curl in a little ball to keep from freezing. Slowly, as my body heat warmed the bed, I'd be able to stretch out.
:Q

*Loves her house and parents again*

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 07 Mar , 2006 2:12 pm

LOL! Glad I could help! :D

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 116  [ 2312 posts ]
Return to “The Turf” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5116 »