The Last Homely Site on the Web

How's the weather?

Post Reply   Page 64 of 116  [ 2312 posts ]
Jump to page « 162 63 64 65 66116 »
Frelga
Post subject: Re: How's the weather?
Posted: Mon 15 Aug , 2016 3:58 am
A green apple painted red

I'm handling it surprisingly well, as long as I don't run out of water. By which I mean, I don't pass out and an able to walk slowly for minutes at a time.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Posted: Mon 15 Aug , 2016 1:00 pm
You are hearing me talk

Over here by Lake Michigan 4 of the next 8 days are forecast to be below 80/26.7, and the highest number on the chart is 86/30. That's a major reversal from a couple weeks back when anything below 90/32.2 would have been considered cool. I plan to enjoy it while it lasts.

Of course, if we all get washed away tonight in the flash floods they're warning about, it will be moot.

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Mon 15 Aug , 2016 1:35 pm

I'm envious of those temps. We're in the middle of a really nasty and long-lasting, muggy, heat wave. The LOWS have been in the upper 70s, with highs in the lower 90s. Those are record-setting lows for us. It feels like we've been transported to the deep South.

The Berkshires were pretty nice last week, though. Not exactly cool, but cool enough that you could hike comfortably in shady forests. I actually put on a sweater during the last part of a Tanglewood evening lawn concert - the first time I've worn a sweater since June.

Society can and does execute its own mandates, and if it issues wrong mandates instead of right, or any mandates at all in things with it ought not to meddle, it practices a social tyranny more formidable than many kinds of political oppression, since, though not usually upheld by such extreme penalties, it leaves fewer means of escape, penetrating much more deeply into the details of life, and enslaving the soul itself. ― John Stuart Mill

Profile Quote
nienna
Posted: Mon 15 Aug , 2016 8:27 pm
The best things in life are not things

Have to say that the weather here is gorgeous at the moment - for once we've had a prolonged settled spell during August. Temperatures this week are around the mid 70s, which for me, with a gentle sea breeze, is absolutely perfect! :sunny:

There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Tue 16 Aug , 2016 12:32 am
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

That sounds lovely, Stella!

Yes, we're also in the very muggy, very hot phase of the year. It's been raining (downpouring, actually, and storming) off and on for a few days, with yesterday an all-day affair of torrential rain. (Sounds like we were pretty similar, Jude.) As I backed out of the garage this morning at 6:30am, the warning went off on the radio about a severe thunderstorm warning. It scared the crap out of me! And it's also just plain weird at that hour of the day. Thankfully, I didn't hear about anything bad coming of it.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Tue 16 Aug , 2016 11:54 am

We got to the hotel last night in time for a thunderstorm to roll right over us. But we'll be back on the road quite late tonight and I'm worried. Last time, a thunderstorm caught us an hour out of New York and I barely made it. Luckily, there was a town, no idea which, and a small mall with a covered parking garage, and I dug in my heels and insisted on going into Barnes and Noble with a Starbucks inside. The storm was down to drizzle by the time we finished the mocha.

In Lali's part of the country, though, one can drive for quite a while with no shelter in sight.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Tue 16 Aug , 2016 3:50 pm

Frelga, I've seen people pull over and park under an underpass, if the rain gets to be too blinding and they feel it's unsafe to stay on the road. I've gotten used to thunderstorms since I moved out of the Bay Area, but they used to scare me at first.

We've had more than our normal share of thunderstorms and severe thunderstorms, too, this year. Even a few tornado and waterspout warnings, which is unusual for us.

Society can and does execute its own mandates, and if it issues wrong mandates instead of right, or any mandates at all in things with it ought not to meddle, it practices a social tyranny more formidable than many kinds of political oppression, since, though not usually upheld by such extreme penalties, it leaves fewer means of escape, penetrating much more deeply into the details of life, and enslaving the soul itself. ― John Stuart Mill

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Tue 16 Aug , 2016 5:00 pm

I vaguely remember summer thunderstorms from Ukraine, but I didn't drive, and finding shelter was not a difficult or urgent task when surrounded by tall buildings with lightening rods.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Tue 16 Aug , 2016 5:06 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Cars are designed to be insulated from lightning. If you close all the windows and stay in the car you should be fine.

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Tue 16 Aug , 2016 6:19 pm

http://www.snopes.com/science/tires.asp

The car acts as a faraday cage and conducts the lightning around you to the ground. Looks like it doesn't even matter if the tire has rubber tires or not.

I bet the car's electrical systems would be fried, though.

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Tue 16 Aug , 2016 10:17 pm

I know the car protects against a direct strike. I was more concerned about zero visibility punctuated with blinding flashes.

P. S.: Just now got a severe thunderstorm warning in central Pennsylvania. The radio got interrupted by that annoying beeping signal. We had an hour to Pittsburgh, but we were on the side of a woody, steep hill. So on the "God takes care of those who take care" principle, we got off at the nearest exit that also happened to have a Marriott, and there we shall stay.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Wed 17 Aug , 2016 1:03 am

Well, quite honestly, I'd rather drive in snow than rain and a heavy downpour is no fun at all! I came home in one today from the post office, and I know those roads very well. It still sucked. I was talking on the phone with my friend but told her I'd have to call her back so that I could concentrate.

(When I got out of work today, the western sky was so dark it was frightening! I tried to find whether there was a warning our or anything, but I couldn't find anything. That's the downpour I later drove home through, once I stopped driving east and had to turn around and head west.)

BTW, look at this picture from Cleveland:
[ attachment ]
lake erie shelf cloud.jpg (135.86 KiB) Viewed 5202 times
That was a storm coming in off of Lake Erie on August 11th. (Feel free to add a caption for the person on the jet ski. I imagine it something like, "Shit, shit, shit, shit, shit!")

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Wed 17 Aug , 2016 1:05 am
Aspiring to heresy

That's an amazing picture. Did you ever hear if the skier made it back to safety?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Wed 17 Aug , 2016 1:06 am

I'm assuming he did. No one ever mentioned anyone getting hurt by the storm. (This pic was posted by the Cleveland MetroParks. I tried to resize it to make it a little smaller. It's very impressive full screen, though.)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Wed 17 Aug , 2016 4:17 am

Whoa! And I thought the storm I saw looked dramatic.

The promised thunderstorm passed us by, but we still saw it flashing in the distance. There also was a tornado in Indianapolis, apparently. You guys have way too much weather!

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Wed 17 Aug , 2016 1:58 pm

Well yes, but at least we don't (usually) have earthquakes. ;)

The beeping noise for warnings isn't too bad. What I hate are the screechy rising sirens on our little weather emergency radio, which gets the National Weather Service forecasts and any severe weather warnings. It can make you jump if you're not expecting anything. I used to set the thing to "alert,"which means that it's off, but will turn itself on automatically if there's a warning. Until one gorgeous clear fall day when the radio started to wail dramatically ... then announced that temperatures would fall below freezing that night and could kill your frost-sensitive plants.

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Wed 17 Aug , 2016 2:52 pm

Well, yeah, we have devastating earthquakes. Once in about a hundred years. The rest of the time we enjoy a lovely climate and hardly any weather at all.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Wed 24 Aug , 2016 7:55 pm

We had one of those radios that come on and alert you to oncoming bad weather when necessary... but it kept forgetting what county we lived in and kept coming on in the middle of the night screeching about some storm 100 miles way. :roll: It was not worth it. I finally took the batteries out after yet another 2 am false alarm and have been much happier.

If we get surprised by a storm, so be it.

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Thu 29 Sep , 2016 3:01 pm
Aspiring to heresy

I love the weather right now: not too hot, not too cold - jut perfect.

Can we have this all year round please?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Thu 29 Sep , 2016 4:11 pm

Why not? We do.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 64 of 116  [ 2312 posts ]
Return to “The Turf” | Jump to page « 162 63 64 65 66116 »
Jump to: