Manveru1987 = Misha
mighty_squid = Mighty_Squid
nellyd87 = Donernilwen
Pippin-chan = Pippin4242
Pippin4242 = Pippin4242 (main one)
RdEoSg = gimli_axe_wielder
TheOneRune = Amrunelen
yovargas = yovargas

At least, it is if you're a music geek like me. :)

It has loads of music-related content, but it has two central ideas:

- One is, that when you download a plug-in for your PC music player, it unobtrusively keeps track of the music you listen to. Then it creates charts on your site profile for what kind of stuff you listen to that other people can look at. Eventually, it gets a sense of what you like and starts recommending stuff. In the meantime, you can go searching through other people's charts to see what they're listening to. The funnest part of the website for me has been looking to see what other bands fans of my fav bands listen to. For example, if you're a huge Coldplay fan, you can go see what kind of stuff Coldplay fans are listening to (as well as see what the most popular songs and albums by Coldplay are).

- The other cool thing is that it lets you create "radio stations" based on those lists. You can create a Coldplay station and it'll stream stuff based on what bands the Coldplay fans most listen to. It's awesome! It's by far the best "radio" I've ever heard, sometimes playing nothing but stuff I love for hours on end.

This website is getting pretty popular so I imagine some of ya'll might already be on it. I wanna see your profiles! Here's a chart of my Top 10 most listened to artists since I joined:

[ img ]

(Bonus points if you know songs from at least two of those bands. ;))

Last edited by yovargas on Mon 12 Mar , 2007 12:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

Profile Quote
Rinon
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 17 Jul , 2006 6:28 am
the other half of the dyblamic duo

When I used Sony's SonicStage system, last.fm wouldn'y recognize it. Now that I'm kinda transfering everything to itunes, maybe I'll check it out again.... The little most played and recently played boxes you can post anywhere are really cool.

Radiohead! I need to listen to some radiohead. I can name Radiohead songs!

And Bright Eyes songs too, I used to be on a huge Bright Eyes kick. I can think if the tune of that song in your sig, its from "It's morning", but I can't remember the name. Its one of my favorites though.

And, umm, I bought a Broken Social Scene cd but dont think I ever really listened to it.

Ahhh, and did you get Yo La Tengo's leaked new album that's coming out in september?

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 17 Jul , 2006 2:34 pm

The Bright Eyes song is "We are nowhere and it's now". Love that guy. I've had that album for about a year and the more I listen to it, the more I love it.

The only reason Yo La Tengo is up there is because last.fm radio plays them a lot for me. That means a lot of fans of my fav bands love YLT. I don't really know them yet though and I'm not really sure I like them. (Same deal with Mogwai except I know I don't care for them.)

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 17 Jul , 2006 3:04 pm
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

Nice, yov!

I've heard of two of those bands. ;)

Always looking for music recommendations of course. Haven't yet logged into my own file-sharing program since Toronto, but was suggested a number of songs and artists there and look forward to checking it out.

Gotta respectfully disagree, though: this is the coolest website evar. :cheers:

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 17 Jul , 2006 3:16 pm

I stand corrected, *E*, I stand corrected.

:bow: :dragon:

(Which two bands.)

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 17 Jul , 2006 3:22 pm
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

Radiohead and The Decemberists. Can't remember any specific tunes by the latter, but saw their name around and downloaded a few songs. (Should check out my notes on them.) I'm guessing they're emo? :P

I'm not a raging Radiohead fan, but oh boy do I love a lot of their music. It's sort of like with Alanis Morissette - I could name you a lot of tunes I like, but they're spread out amongst several albums and so I can't necessarily say I'd want to buy anything from them besides a Greatest Hits.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 17 Jul , 2006 3:24 pm

:x :x :x NO EMO WILL BE APPEARING ON ANY OF MY LISTS!!! :x :x :x

:x :x :x THE DECEMBERISTS ARE NOT EMO!!! :x :x :x

But they are awesome. :love:

Cool that you like plenty of Radiohead stuff. :) Even if it's not all appealling to you, I'm always glad to find people who are at least familiar with what they do. What are your favorites from them?

(No emo kids were harmed in the writing of this post.)

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 17 Jul , 2006 3:40 pm

I'm an emo-hater myself, so it's rather delicious that an album full of them made it's way into my collection (the WICKER PARK soundtrack). I needed the Aqualung and Coldplay songs. :P Other than that, I control myself admirably.

Radiohead. Now, let me look up a few of these because I know the tunes more than the titles, except for those with videos I was well familiar with. "Just" (one of the best music vids ever), "Karma Police", and "Paranoid Android" for example. Through random downloads, I came to enjoy "Lucky", and "High and Dry". We always run into trouble with file-sharing programs and roughly once a year have to switch, losing all our old files in the process. So I know I had a lot more Radiohead songs around, but I can't remember their names or how they went.

Good band, though! Perfect for listening to late at night when you're alone and ponderous, somewhere between content and disappointed.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Aglanor
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 17 Jul , 2006 5:52 pm
Morituri Nolumus Mori

A friend of mine suggested the site awhile ago, but due to lack of internet I couldn't yet check it out, but as soon as I'm home, I will give it a try...:D

"The moon reflects in her eyes,
And tears fall down like stars.
Her gentle kiss goodnight;
Her dagger stuck in my heart.
My love broken and betrayed
And my eyes are closed tight,
As death now does us part."

A Rune engraved on my heart...

Profile Quote
Sidonzo
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 17 Jul , 2006 5:59 pm
Everything Is Numb

I LOVE Radiohead! I have put their music in my sims' radios so I can listen to it while I play. I also have to give props to a band that took their name from the album that has my all-time favorite song on it!

~Sid

ETA: E*, that web site is the scariest thing I have ever seen! :Q

Profile Quote
Rinon
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 18 Jul , 2006 7:47 am

Oy vey. Please don't get me started on "emo". The word came into use in the 80s and was short for "Emotional hardcore." Bands that sounded a lot different from the bands called emo today. And bands that I love. But the term slowly got changed and then the media picked up on it and killed it. If anybody really cares, here's http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emo_music

O, and *E*, that ytmnd page is the best thing EVER. :LMAO:

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 18 Jul , 2006 3:22 pm

I've looked into the history of emo, Rinon, and I know that it was once at least a respectable genre. But I still don't like it. :) No hardcore, emotional or otherwise, for me.

Profile Quote
Rinon
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 19 Jul , 2006 10:40 pm

Hey, well It's really cool that you took that initiative, it's more than most would do. And life would be boring if we all liked the same music. But it's hardcore all the way for me, mostly of the emotional and melodic varieties. :)

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 20 Jul , 2006 12:00 am

So am I really the only poster on this website?

Profile Quote
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 20 Jul , 2006 3:13 am
Another bright red day

You were, but no longer! I just signed up today on a whim. There's not much on my profile right now, though I'm playing my Broadway mix right now, so hopefully there will be soon. My username is elphabathropp if you care to search for me.

On a side note, one of Norbert Leo Butz's headshots shows up on my profile page, and that makes me happy.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Rinon
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 20 Jul , 2006 7:51 am

Make that a threesome!

I was inspired by Mossy's wim, and made my own profile. My handle is AyeDiosMio, but there isn't anything on it as of yet.

I put a picture of some gulping koi as my avatar-thingy, and that makes me happy too. :cheers:

ETA: OK, I've listened to a bit of music... And yes, it is the coolest website ever! It shows album covers and pictures of bands you've just listened to, and makes all those pretty charts... A really cool idea.

Profile Quote
Misha
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 20 Jul , 2006 10:30 am

I have an account there for about a year.
Here's my chart

[ img ]

-And everything under the sun is in tune
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon.-
Pink Floyd, Eclipse
[ img ]

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 20 Jul , 2006 11:39 am

Awesome! :D

Holy crap, misha, look at your overall tracks! I take it you like Cream? :Q ;)

Profile Quote
Misha
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 20 Jul , 2006 11:43 am

Well, if you call having all of their albums, including the live ones, "loving them" :D

-And everything under the sun is in tune
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon.-
Pink Floyd, Eclipse
[ img ]

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 20 Jul , 2006 2:43 pm

Is Cream the one with Eric Clapton or Paul Carrack? :oops:

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 39  [ 772 posts ]
Return to “The Turf” | Jump to page 1 2 3 4 539 »
Jump to: