The Last Homely Site on the Web

Do Spiders Die in Vacuum Cleaners?

Post Reply   Page 2 of 4  [ 65 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 »
vison
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 22 Nov , 2006 5:43 pm
Best friends forever

Oho, yes. :Q The dead spider in bed with a person. That IS a bit of a shock and icky-feeling maker. :puke: Eeeewwww.

I don't call my real-life husband "honeykins". Just plain "honey". But I thot "honeykins" was cute. :D For a virtual husband?

Glad to know honeykins was mistaken on the venom front, though.

You should SEE the spiders we gots in the farm. They are the size of cats and wear Cat boots. I'm not kidding. One day when I have the time I shall take a photo of the colony of spiders who live above the feed mixer. :Q We leave them strictly alone. Spiders, as I keep telling the gassoons, are our friends. Especially where they keep the fly population in check.

Living on Earth is expensive,
but it does include a free trip
around the sun every year.

Profile Quote
Sunsilver
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 22 Nov , 2006 5:53 pm

Yes, but cobwebs provide great fuel for fires. When I worked at the riding stable, one of our chores was to cobweb the barn every now and then. I'd put a scarf over my head, and make sure my collar was turned up so nothing could drop in uninvited, and start swiping them down with a broom. I'd usually wear a dust mask, too, or a silk scarf over my nose and mouth.

One of my least favourite jobs, I might add. But I'm okay with spiders, unless they're dangling over my bed or my office chair. I especially like the little black jumping spiders, cuz they don't build messy webs!

When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose[/size]

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 22 Nov , 2006 6:06 pm
Daydream Believer

Jude wrote:
There's over ten posts in this thread, and yet not one of you has mentioned Shelob or Ungoliant!!! What the Udûn is wrong with you people????? :rage:

Even a cursory reference to the wimpy Mirkwood spiders would have been better than nothing.

*flounces out. Trips over a dustbin on the way out, thereby totally ruining the effect*

Frodo whips out the phail of Galadriel....nothing
Frodo whips out Sting.....nothing
Frodo whips out Lali's vaccuum.....Shelob runs away, gets sucked up into Lali's vaccuum.
Lali gets vaccuum back... :Q

So do spiders die in the vaccuum....do they....do you feel lucky.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 22 Nov , 2006 6:20 pm
Aspiring to heresy

[ img ]

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
Anthriel
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 22 Nov , 2006 6:25 pm
Seeking my nitid muliebrity

:LMAO:

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 22 Nov , 2006 6:28 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

:damnfunny: :damnfunny: :damnfunny: :LMAO: :LMAO:

I'd have to have total scientific proof before I allowed any vacuum that had sucked up Shelob or her descendents back into my house!!!!

ARRRRGGHHH!!!

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 22 Nov , 2006 6:32 pm

Uhh, Sam's probbaly gonna need a bigger vac. :uhoh:

( :damnfunny: )

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 22 Nov , 2006 6:37 pm
Daydream Believer

yovargas wrote:
Uhh, Sam's probbaly gonna need a bigger vac. :uhoh:

( :damnfunny: )

It's not the size of the vaccuum...its the amount of suck

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 22 Nov , 2006 6:42 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dawnnamira
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 22 Nov , 2006 6:53 pm

:help:

I have no problem with spiders..............

But when they're on me, I hate them.

How strange it is to be anything at all

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 22 Nov , 2006 6:58 pm

That statement is probably true of many living creatures.

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 22 Nov , 2006 7:03 pm
Daydream Believer

God lets hope so.

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 22 Nov , 2006 7:24 pm

:LMAO: :rofl: Good one, Jude! :D

We once had a largish spider start building a web in the tub in our unfinished bathroom. We only use that tub for soaking, and didn't have a need to disturb the spider for several days. Finally, my husband and I wanted to soak in the bath (It's a pretty big tub! :D ) and I had to oust the spider. I carefully convinced it to climb onto a folded newspaper and tossed it onto some construction materials on the other side of the bathroom. It fell to the floor with an audible thump! :( I felt so bad! Poor thing must have had a 3 foot drop after it slid off the tile saw.

I cleaned out the large, intricate web in the tub and we had our soak. After a couple of days, we noticed that same spider building a small web in the upper corner of the room. After watching it for a day, we decided it was definitely an egg sack. The next morning when I was in there brushing my teeth, I heard a small thud, like when I originally tossed the spider.

The egg sack was done.

The spider was dead.

I felt unaccountably sad. I'll move the egg sack somewhere sheltered outside soon. Don't want all those babies hatching inside. There really isn't enough for them to eat in the house!

I abused a pregnant female. *sigh* I wonder how karma's going to get me on that one?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Sunsilver
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 22 Nov , 2006 8:36 pm

I have some bad news for Lalai.

1) As a pet owner, I know you MUST get rid of your vacuum bag after vacuuming flea-infested areas.

2) I have a clothes moth infestation in my basement. I brought the vacuum upstairs after vacuuming down there, and left it at the end of the hall, in front of the linen closet. I suddenly began to notice moths in the hallway. Took me a few days to put 2+2 together: they were coming from INSIDE the vacuum.

3) Spiders surviving in vacuums? Hmmm...wouldn't surprise me. Nope, not at all...

Profile Quote
The Watcher
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 22 Nov , 2006 8:53 pm
Same as it ever was

I have a hepa filter bagless vac, and everytime we use it, I empty out the cannister into the kitchen trash, which is easily filled and taken out every other day or so. Hmm, I never noticed any issues with insects or spiders or their eggs, etc. :scratch:

I have had to resort to some environmentally safe / pet and child safe products for other types of things, however, like various types of flies or ants. They have worked wonderfully, especially when I find out the source and take care of it, like leaky door seals, or (like Maria's one bad experience) a bag of potatoes going bad in the basement. YUCK!!!

Scientists tell us that the fastest animal on earth, with a top speed of 120 miles per second, is a cow that has been dropped from a helicopter.

Never under any circumstances take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

- Dave Barry

Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive...
Supermassive Black Hole.

- Muse

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 22 Nov , 2006 9:10 pm
Daydream Believer

The Watcher wrote:

I have had to resort to some environmentally safe / pet and child safe products for other types of things, however, like various types of flies or ants.
Not me, I have Raid and know how to use it. If I was Frodo or Sam I'd be carrying a can of raid with me...

Galadriel: Here take this, it will light the way in dark places
Me: Well ok, but can I have a can of raid too, you know the industrial size, cause I really want that spider dead, not mostly dead.

Profile Quote
The Watcher
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 22 Nov , 2006 9:17 pm
Same as it ever was

Ara-

If I lived where you do and had bugs the size of small mammals, i would have that RAID can as well!! :D:D

My sister used to live in Arizona, and I swear the bugs there are even bigger and more obnoxious than those that I used to marvel at in Florida when I would visit friends and relatives down there. :Q I am surprised that you do not need small atomic bombs.

Last edited by The Watcher on Wed 22 Nov , 2006 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scientists tell us that the fastest animal on earth, with a top speed of 120 miles per second, is a cow that has been dropped from a helicopter.

Never under any circumstances take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

- Dave Barry

Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive...
Supermassive Black Hole.

- Muse

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Griffon64
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 22 Nov , 2006 10:18 pm
Garrulous Griffon

Tosh - I once woke up with a MOTHA of a spider 10cm from my face on my bookshelf. It scratched when it ran up my books, and that got me REAAAAALLLY mad. You can scare me, but scratch up my books and I'm gonna KILL YOU!! :D

Sidonzo - I've seen a spider climb back out of a drain. I'm afraid that I try to wash them down with hot water, to lessen the chances of their survival :( ( I'm a really bad wimp about spiders :( )
Quote:
Besides, if it had stayed still and not waved its front legs at me, I would've let it live,
Gotcha on that one! A friend of mine, also a spider wuss, once screamed so loudly when a quite small one ran over the floor that it stopped dead and waved its front legs in defense :D

moment's hurt may harm or scar
but not inert nor beaten are
those who look and see afar
the healing hand of morning's star.

Profile Quote
Sunsilver
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 22 Nov , 2006 11:05 pm

Sidonzo wrote:
- I've seen a spider climb back out of a drain. I'm afraid that I try to wash them down with hot water, to lessen the chances of their survival :( ( I'm a really bad wimp about spiders :( )
Inky-dinky spider, climbing up the spout... :D:D:D

1)I have a very serious allergy to Raid.

2) Raid DOES NOT kill moths. Believe me, I've tried. I once sprayed a hefty dose of Raid into the cap of the can, trapped the moth underneath the cap, then stuck the cap back on the can. I thought this was a cool way of avoiding getting the spray in the air, and triggering a sneezing bout.

The next morning, the moth was still alive. The spray had soaked its wings so it could't fly very well, but it was still kickin'!

Profile Quote
Sidonzo
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 22 Nov , 2006 11:14 pm
Everything Is Numb

I wonder why spiders are so scary. I was pondering that thought and though I can't answer that question for everyone I can answer it for myself.

I think the answer is threefold. First there is the fact that spiders can be dangerous. There are posionous spiders in the world and it is best to steer clear of them. That can't be the only reason though, because bees can cause pain too and yet I am not nearly as scared of bees (I'm not allergic to them either though).

So I think the second part has to do with the fact that they seem more intelliegent than something that small and brainless should. (Spiders don't have brains, right?) I have tried to kill a few that really tested my brain power. They can sense your swipe coming and dodge it and cleverly hide.

Then thirdly it is the fact that the little buggers will actually try to challenge you. I mean what the hell?! You are like a thousand times their size and yet they will dart at you in a challenge position. I can't think of any other bugs that do that...maybe scorpions, but those are as scary as hell too. (Yeah I know spiders aren't insects, but they are similar to them.) So when this little pint sized thing comes at me, I'm thinking maybe it knows something I don't and I run screaming from it! LOL!

Of course the fact that some spiders are so freakin' huge don't help matters any.

~Sid

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 4  [ 65 posts ]
Return to “The Turf” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 »
Jump to: