Want to be a Ranger? Post here!

Post Reply   Page 2 of 15  [ 287 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 515 »
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 28 Nov , 2006 2:12 pm
Aspiring to heresy

tinwë wrote:
Eta - Jude - let us know if you still want to volunteer. Like I said, you will have access to ToE with admin status, but it’s up to you whether you go into the forum or not.
Jude wrote:
I'd be happy to volunteer if that's not going to be a problem.

Gollum wrote:
Bless us and splash us, my precioussss! I guess it's a choice feast; at least a tasty morsel it'd make us, gollum!"

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
The OG Borry
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 28 Nov , 2006 7:34 pm
The best things in life are not things

Location: here....<_< yeah here thats Ceres, CA for you stalkers

Ima thinkin this is the problem with the ranger pool. "Oh you want to volunteer...no prob youll be called upon in....8 months see you then!" Just sayin...
Borry

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 28 Nov , 2006 7:39 pm

Um, yeah, that's what I was thinking. IMO, ask for a volunteer when you need it. When you need it being when a Ranger feels like leaving.

Profile Quote
Lily Rose
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 28 Nov , 2006 10:33 pm
stranded in dreamland

I understand where you are coming from, and you have a good point. However, it is wise to have a few people lined up and ready to go so that we don't end up in the same situation that we were in before. Everyones terms had long since expired, and there was no one to take their places.
I only knew that volunteers were needed because I randomly visited the business forum, which I normally don't bother with.

I don't have faith in faith
I don't believe in belief
You can call me faithless
I still cling to hope
And I believe in love
And that's faith enough for me

Profile Quote
Elian
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 28 Nov , 2006 10:38 pm
Let the dice fly.

Well then, why don't Rangers ask for a replacement 1 month - 2 weeks before the time when their term expires? This allows plenty of time to find one, and doesn't leave volunteers hanging for an extended period of time, during which they might possibly wander off into real life. ;)

What does it take
to stop getting carried away
by the force of my love...

Profile Quote
tinwe
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 28 Nov , 2006 11:55 pm
Waiting for winter

There are reasons it’s done this way, and I’m pretty sure we don’t want to rehash any of them. I admit, it is not a perfect system - nobody knows what they are going to be doing six months or a year from now. But, we are not trying to plan the future here, we are just trying to get a list of people who might be interested when the time comes. I don’t see a problem with that. Speaking as someone who has done this before, it’s easier to find someone when you know who is willing then it is to start from scratch. That’s all.

[ img ]

I am a child, I'll last a while.
You can't conceive
of the pleasure in my smile.

Profile Quote
The OG Borry
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 29 Nov , 2006 12:09 am

its not a perfect system...but we dont want to change it...:P Anyways I still believe in what I said. I think there should be some sort of interim position or something for people waiting and waiting.

OR A DAMNED COOKIE AT LEAST...sorry i just really want a cookie right now....

Borry

Profile Quote
cemthinae
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 29 Nov , 2006 12:53 am
TTBK's cemmie

*hands Borry a super-sized homemade chocolate chip cookie*

I don't have to be first in line or whatever. I was only volunteering because I thought that alot of help was needed. If it isn't urgent I'd rather be put on some kind of reserve list. I'm rather busy with work right now so me being a Ranger may not be the best thing.

Profile Quote
Holbytla
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 29 Nov , 2006 2:37 am
Grumpy cuz I can be

It's a pain in the ass going through 30 names each time to find a replacement.
It's easier just to stay on as a ranger.
The latest way worked fine. We stuck around until people got sick of us and volunteered to take over.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 29 Nov , 2006 4:49 am
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

I prefer term limits...not find a replacement when you feel like it or wait for someone to hint at the fact that you've been rangering for a fair while.

Profile Quote
Holbytla
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 29 Nov , 2006 4:56 am
Grumpy cuz I can be

Yeah well maybe now there will be less apathy around here.
Maybe people will get involved again.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 29 Nov , 2006 5:57 am
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

I was incredibly involved for a long while. I served as Ranger for quite a while, plus two temp terms, served as Mayor for a few months, as well as being on all the committees. I put a heck of a lot of time into this board. I'm not the person to be talking about apathy to.

Really, I did too much and got involved too much which is why I'm incredibly burned out on message boards in general...that and quite a few people aren't who I thought they were. I've touched the hot stove too many times and have hopefully learned my lessons.

Anyway, back to lurkdom or more. I just felt like expressing my opinion as that's something we're supposed to be allowed to do here.

Profile Quote
TheMary
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 29 Nov , 2006 7:05 am
I took the stars from my eyes, and then I made a map, And knew that somehow I could find my way back; Then I heard your heart beating, you were in the darkness too - So I stayed in the darkness with you

I'm not sure Holby's comments were directed specifically at you Eru. Like you mentioned you've done your share of work around here :).

Let's not get all crazy people, or I'll have to use my big girl voice :D I say we gather a list of volunteers and cycle them out after a set period of time. That way it's orderly and fair. If we run out of volunteers then we can look for different solutions. If it ain't broke don't fix it :).

Lay down
Your sweet and weary head
Night is falling
You’ve come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore

Why do you weep?
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see
All of your fears will pass away
Safe in my arms
You're only sleeping

Profile Quote
The OG Borry
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 29 Nov , 2006 7:20 am

do i have to do this again...*points out the fact that it was broke* :P come on now guys use your methaphors correctly hehe

(end jokes)

Thanks for the cookie Cem! *chomps happily*
Borry

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 29 Nov , 2006 1:22 pm

For this board, I always say simplest is best. Holby's way seems simplest.

Profile Quote
Elian
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 29 Nov , 2006 6:36 pm
Let the dice fly.

Holby's way also presents the problem that if someone doesn't like a particular Ranger, they may not feel comfortable calling for a replacement for said Ranger. I have no problem at all with keeping the old rotating list, but I think it's better to keep up some form of term limits.

What does it take

Profile Quote
Holbytla
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 29 Nov , 2006 7:36 pm
Grumpy cuz I can be

I promise to go practice the art of self flagellation after this post, because I should know better. However I will throw my final two cents in first.

At no time ever while discussing the ranger topics or the apathy that is/was apparent around here, did the name of Eru once cross my mind.
You are not responsible for the ranger list and the failures thereof, nor can you be faulted for lack of participation.
It never was about you or what you did or didn't do.

Still there are problems and that is what I was addressing.

The apathy is what caused the issues with the ranger pool, and frankly it is hard to care when it seems no one else does.

I looked at the old ranger list more than a few times and thought about getting replacements. Half of the people rarely if ever post here anymore. Half again won't no part of rangering. Still half again are too busy, dog ate their hoimework etc.
It wasn't worth the effort and time going through list of however many people to try and come up with names of people willing and able to volunteer. It didn't seem like anyone cared so why should we have?
That was the attitude. That was the reason things played out as they did.
Cause and effect.
Perhaps this effect will cause positive changes.

And for the record I was part of the team that brought about the idea of how to stagger and fulfill ranger terms. The system worked. The people failed. Until people show more interest and we can go back to the way things should be, then apathy will have to rule the day.

Rangering isn't about likes and dislikes. It isn't a popularity contest and there are no political agendas to put forth.

It consists of changing ranks, admitting people into ToE and getting rid of spambots. Easy menial tasks. It is being a custodian and nothing more.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Lily Rose
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 29 Nov , 2006 7:43 pm
stranded in dreamland

Hence, that is why we are being proactive and finding out who is really interested in serving a term as ranger at this point in time. The outgoing rangers got enough migraines, I am sure, from trying to sort out the old list.

I don't have faith in faith
I don't believe in belief
You can call me faithless
I still cling to hope
And I believe in love
And that's faith enough for me

Profile Quote
Elian
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 29 Nov , 2006 8:02 pm
Let the dice fly.

Indeed, Lily. :)

Rangering itself is of course not political, nor does it in itself have anything to do with likes and dislikes when the job is done properly, which I believe it always has been. Nor did I imply otherwise. However, people by their very nature are political and very involved in likes and dislikes...therefore, when depending upon these people to uphold your system, these things are going to come into consideration. I was simply pointing out (besides the immense, overwhelming apathy that comes when nothing is asked of people) a slight flaw in that system.

What does it take

Profile Quote
The OG Borry
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 29 Nov , 2006 10:53 pm

Yes weve seen what happens when people "ranger" or admin for too long. And how political it becomes. And how shitty it turns out for the general population of the boards. TORC anyone?
Borry

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 15  [ 287 posts ]
Return to “The Turf” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 515 »
Jump to: