board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

An Anime Chat Thread (yes, and manga you sillies)

Post Reply   Page 1 of 24  [ 477 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 3 4 524 »
Pippin4242
Post subject: An Anime Chat Thread (yes, and manga you sillies)
Posted: Tue 10 Apr , 2007 11:41 pm
Hasta la victoria, siempre

...because Sid said she was going to start one. :P

I guess these days I'm the only one around keeping up with more than the odd series... Onizuka was actually into Bleach long before me, and encouraged me to carry on watching. I know there are lots of other people out there who like the odd show, and I know Sid's up to date on Bleach and Dawn is racing through the Soul Society arc thereof. So I don't know how one-sided or short-lived an anime thread might be, but... Sid said she was going to start one. Nyaaa. :P

*~Pips~*

Last edited by Pippin4242 on Fri 08 Feb , 2008 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Avatar is a male me, drawn by a very close friend. Just don't ask why.

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 10 Apr , 2007 11:55 pm

Bleach and Death Note come out tomorrow of course, and both episodes are on this week (they've been off-on, on-off, off-on for the last three weeks). I don't really know if I can face DN after the OMG lifetraumaheartbreakwoes of last week's episode, which was probably the single greatest episode of anime I've ever seen (despite my cousin watching beside me shouting "NO! L's gone YAOI!" while I was urging the detectives to snog). Bleach is almost definitely going to be Hitsugaycentric. So yawn.

No, what I'm really waiting on is a translation for episode thirty-seven of Nana. Nana is one of the rare women's series to make it into anime format, and it's ever so good. The productions are high- and more consistently good for a weekly than even Death Note. And the characters DEMAND your emotional involvement, like a rather wonderful Sex Pistols-inspired soap opera. And the character the story has most recently focused on is MARRYING THE WRONG MAN. He is NOT GOOD FOR HER. He is EMOTIONALLY MANIPULATIVE. He is KEEPING HER AWAY FROM THOSE WHO LOVE HER. He wants her to be his little wifey, raising his children and cooking for him...
Nana finished broadcasting in Japan already. But the sub groups are so much slower than dattebayo (who sub Bleach) or kuro-hana (speed-subbers for Death Note). It's fair enough- it's a hard job; I used to work for a fansub group. I just wish... I need to see the end! Is Shin going to stop selling his body? Is Takumi going to turn out not to be a complete cunt? Is Nana nursing a little denied lesbian crush on Hachiko? Is there anybody out there more deserving of the title THE MAN than Yasu? I need to know!

Recommend, recommend, recommend.

*~Pips~*

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 11 Apr , 2007 12:11 am
of Vinyamar

I'd actually be interested in checking out some anime, but so far I've had mixed success. Akira was great except for the incomprehensible ending. I love the old "Battle of the Planets" ones and the recent Spirited Away was interesting.

Recommendations?

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 11 Apr , 2007 12:16 am
Milk and kisses

If you liked Spirited Away, check other Studio Ghibli ones like The Cat Returns or Howl's Moving Castle. I'm on a Studio Ghibli mood myself, watched Spirited Away again yesterday (in Japanese with subtitles) and loved it even more than the first time around. :)

I can't say that I'm keeping up with anime at all, although I seem to have developed a minor manga addiction lately - the main culprits being Yakitate! Ja-pan (a story about breadmaking, believe it or not :D ) and Nana, about two very different girls living in Tokyo, both called Nana. I seem to prefer realistic manganime to the fantasy ones; I tried (and falied) to get interested in stuff like Sailormoon, but I loved the (real-life) story of Densha Otoko, the geek who found love on a train and asked his online friends to help him. :)

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 11 Apr , 2007 12:21 am

I don't get what's meant to be so freakin' awesome about Akira. I was really let down when I watched it. I've never seen Battle of the Planets, dubbed or otherwise, but I loved Spirited Away. If you're looking for a good film, I'd recommend Princess Mononoke. It's also by Studio Ghibli/Hayao Miyazaki, but I found it a more exciting and cohesive story than Spirited Away.
If you're looking for something less family friendly, but still short and sweet, I'd recommend the Rurouni Kenshin/Samurai X OVAs (original video animations) 'Trust & Betrayal'. They're not for the faint of heart, but the artwork is fantastic. I think there's another version of Trust & Betrayal out there where the four episodes are edited together into a single film. Incredibly violent, but with historical accuracy and a moving story.

*~Pips~*

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 11 Apr , 2007 12:23 am

I've seen Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, and Princess Mononoke (all from the same dude). I adored Spirited Away, enjoyed Howl's Moving Castle enough, and was indifferent towards Princess Mononoke.

Profile Quote
BrianIsSmilingAtYou
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 11 Apr , 2007 12:24 am

From Studio Ghibli, I would strongly recommend "Whisper of the Heart", "Porco Rosso", "My Neighbor Totoro", "Nausicca of the Valley of the Wind", "Grave of the Fireflies", "Princess Mononoke", "Kiki's Delivery Service" and others.

Also, try out "Millenium Actress" by Satoshi Kon. Totally not Ghibli, but brilliant and beautiful like nothing you have ever seen before.

Really.

I've also seen his earlier film "Perfect Blue", which is fairly well constructed, using similar techniques that were put to better use in "Millenium Actress". But it is a bit too creepy, with a fair amount of realistic (not "cartoon") violence and sexual content equivalent to a live-action R-rated film.

I've also been meaning to see Kon's "Tokyo Godfathers" but haven't gotten around to it.

Brianis :) AtYou

[ img ]

My niece, Humera, under a pumpkin leaf!

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 11 Apr , 2007 12:25 am

Yakitake! Ja-pan again! Okay, that's it, that's going to be the next series I watch. You've just tipped me over the edge Ber. I hope you're happy. :P

Have you been reading the Nana manga then Ber? I ordered the first book yesterday. I'm so frustrated with not being able to watch the rest of the series!

Have you watched Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind? I only recently watched it (and finally understood where Kushana got her name and avatar from). I'd say it's my favourite Ghibli at the moment (though not my favourite Miyazaki- that honour goes to Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro, late of hal's signature, I believe). Pops up all over the place, ne? :P

I've never even bothered trying Sailor Moon. There's so much good stuff around at the moment that it just seems like a bit of a waste of time. :shrug:

*~Pips~*

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 11 Apr , 2007 12:29 am

yov wrote:
I've seen Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, and Princess Mononoke (all from the same dude). I adored Spirited Away, enjoyed Howl's Moving Castle enough, and was indifferent towards Princess Mononoke.
Really? Mononoke-hime was my favourite until I watched Nausicaa! I thought HMC wasn't as good as Spirited Away though. I suppose I like my anime a little dark.

Brian, I picked up Tokyo Godfathers ex-rental a little while ago. I saw it in a shop, and I knew The Mary liked it. I've been waiting for the right time to watch it since. I'll let you know what I thought of it as soon as I've seen it. :) Would you advise me to steer clear of Perfect Blue then? I was vaguely thinking of borrowing it from a friend of mine.

*~Pips~*

Profile Quote
halplm
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 11 Apr , 2007 12:37 am
b77 whipping boy

The Kenshin TV show is more fun :)

Ok, here's my initial contribution...

Films everyone should see in order of my preference, which is indicative of nothing other than what I like...:
Laputa: Castle in the Sky
Spirited Away
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
My Neighbor Totoro
Castle of Cagliostro (Lupin III)
Princess Mononoke
Kiki's Delivery Service
Howl's Moving Castle
Porco Rosso

In case you were wondering, those are all Hayao Miyazaki films.

Other films that should be seen eventually, but no rush:

Akira (how can you fit 2000+ pages into 2 hours?)
Fist of the North Star
Ghost in the Shell
Escaflowne (I say skip the tv series as this wraps everything up better and saves you a lot of time)

TV series that should not be missed:
Outlaw Star (my favorite series, hands down)
Evangelion (way weird, especially the end, but not to be missed)
Read or Die (mini, then full series)
Ranma 1/2
Rurouni Kenshin
Fullmetal Alchemist
Fushigi Yugi
Lain
Full Metal Panic

There are others that one can argue are deserving to be on my list, but I Figure if I can't remember them off the top of my head... they're not essential :) Of course... I'm probably forgetting something very important and I'll kick myself later... oh well...

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 11 Apr , 2007 12:46 am

Full Metal Panic! Score!
I can't stand Fumoffu (they uglied up the character designs, besides which my favourite characters were relegated to TDD-1 for all but the obligatory onsen episode) but the first series and TSR stand with my absolute favourites. :D

With a list like that I'm surprised not to see Trigun and Cowboy Bebop (or at least the movie, which is all I've seen of it, but is fantastic).

The Kenshin TV show is bound to be long... didn't the manga run to more than forty tankubon? I've got the first book, and I have to say I enjoyed Betrayal (yes, I only managed to find Betrayal) more than the first book. I expect it's rather involved, like Bleach.

Outlaw Star also didn't do that much for me. I watched the whole series (I stick things out- I didn't like Bleach for nearly twenty episodes). I loved Evangelion when I finally managed to get into it, and I've finally managed to borrow End of Evangelion, Death and Rebirth off my friend (the same friend that owns Perfect Blue). I'm looking forward to watching them, but I'm a little apprehensive.

Damn, this post got long already. I was only responding to a couple of them, or so I thought. :shrug:

*~Pips~*

Profile Quote
BrianIsSmilingAtYou
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 11 Apr , 2007 12:47 am

Pippin4242 wrote:
yov wrote:
Really? Mononoke-hime was my favourite until I watched Nausicaa! I thought HMC wasn't as good as Spirited Away though. I suppose I like my anime a little dark.

Brian, I picked up Tokyo Godfathers ex-rental a little while ago. I saw it in a shop, and I knew The Mary liked it. I've been waiting for the right time to watch it since. I'll let you know what I thought of it as soon as I've seen it. :) Would you advise me to steer clear of Perfect Blue then? I was vaguely thinking of borrowing it from a friend of mine.

*~Pips~*
"Perfect Blue" has several scenes of brutal violence/murder/attempted rape (integral to the plot) and several scenes with full frontal nudity and simulated rape (the rape scene involve the main character who is an Japanese Idol [singer] who becomes an actress and gets involved in a show that requires her to act out such scenes). The in-story cinematic violence spills over to real-life in the story.

In the middle of all of this, the story fucks with your mind: which is real, which is acting, which is a dream, which is an hallucination etc

The current IMDB sample review has this to say:
Quote:
Perfect Blue is a very strange film. It's anime, but it's set in circa-1995 modern Tokyo, with a story in which everything could be explained in terms of natural phenomena and present-day technology. Furthermore, it's a psychological thriller, a genre which probably hasn't ever been done with animation before.

But even if Japan's animators dabbled in this genre more often, Perfect Blue would still be a bizarre film. It starts off as a fairly conventional thriller about a teen pop singer who may be the target of a stalker, but then the movie goes completely insane, assaulting the viewer with rapid changes of scene, perspective, and context until we simply don't know what to believe anymore. This is done so subtly and gradually that we become completely trapped in the movie's spell, and we end up just staring at the screen in horror, helpless to stop the nightmarish events from unfolding. Rarely has any movie so effectively conveyed the lunatic terror of a character who has lost touch with reality, and once the movie is over, all you can do is just sit there and try to figure everything out. Have fun with it. It's a good head scratch.

Unfortunately, the last minute or so of the movie is much too sappy and uplifting (especially the music on the end credits), cheapening the significance of everything that has gone before. But as a whole, Perfect Blue is an incredibly haunting thriller, a scathing look at the world of showbusiness, and a very worthwhile film.
BrianIs :) AtYou

[ img ]

Profile Quote
halplm
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 11 Apr , 2007 1:02 am
b77 whipping boy

I have not seen Trigun or Cowboy Bebop... Trigun I just bought, and Cowboy Bebop I have seen the film, which was good... the series got spoiled for me, though...

The Kenshin TV show is good for the first two "arcs": Tokyo, and Kyoto, which were based on the manga... after that, it did it's own thing although the manga was still being produced... and it's not worth watching...

As far as Evangelion Death and Rebirth... you'll have to form your own opinion. They've released the "platinum edition" of the series over here... and the new parts of the show that were shown in "Death" are incorporated where they actually happen in episodes 22, 23, and 24... I like that added material, but not the rest of the films...

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 11 Apr , 2007 9:31 am

Trigun is nothing like the manga, but I think that's a good thing. The manga is very arty and beautiful, but it's very difficult to follow, and I think the anime makes a better story when it deviates completely from the original. I think the first five episodes are an introduction to the characters that wasn't in the manga, and then about ten, maybe fifteen episodes loosely adapted, and then it's all radically different. It's fantastic. I hope you get as much from it as I did. :D

Mind you, when Bleach left the manga it was fairly appalling. I wish they'd taken a break while the manga story got ahead of the anime again. *shudder*

Brian, Perfect Blue sounds awesome. :D

*~Pips~*

Profile Quote
Sidonzo
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 11 Apr , 2007 7:44 pm
Everything Is Numb

Well I also plan to anime spam in here, so I don't think this thread will go anywhere anytime soon. ;)

Profile Quote
BrianIsSmilingAtYou
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 12 Apr , 2007 2:10 am

Pippin4242 wrote:

Brian, Perfect Blue sounds awesome. :D

*~Pips~*
Kon has a new film out, Paprika, which is a sort of Matrix-y kind of thing.

Kon is famous for screwing with your mind, and non-linear story-telling.

There is a trailer up:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony/paprika/trailer/

BrianIs :) ATYou

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Lily Rose
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 12 Apr , 2007 12:01 pm
stranded in dreamland

Does anyone know anything about Wolfsraine? I've been thinking about looking it up.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned The Excel Saga. That is the best anime ever.

I don't have faith in faith
I don't believe in belief
You can call me faithless
I still cling to hope
And I believe in love
And that's faith enough for me

Profile Quote
Sidonzo
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 12 Apr , 2007 12:50 pm
Everything Is Numb

Well I hope one is looking at me for answers since I know like nothing about anime! LOL! I do have a question though...is Death Note any good? I've seen it mentioned here and there around the net. And if it is good, what is it about?

~Sid

Profile Quote
Sidonzo
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 12 Apr , 2007 10:37 pm
Everything Is Numb

I read on DiviantArt that someone read a fan fiction about IchigoXShirosakiXIchigo!Kon (Is that the correct term, or is it Kon!Ichigo?). Wow, to be able to read such awesomeness!! I'm getting all hot and bothered just thinking about it! LMAO!! :D

~Sid

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 12 Apr , 2007 11:15 pm

Sid, I tend to think of him as Kon!Ichigo, but I suppose the more correct term would be Ichigo!Kon, wouldn't it? Because it's still Kon we're talking about here. That porn is made for you Sid, go to it. :D

Death Note is mental good. If you are spoilered for it in any way, it halves the goodness in a stroke, so avoid avoid avoid all fandom if you possibly can. The Wikipedia page ruins everything, and so does every other deviation.
To sum up the basic premise, an extremely intelligent student happens by the notebook of a Shinigami, which will allow him to kill any person whose name and face he knows in any way, without leaving a trace. Death Note is the story of his fight to rid the world of evil and wrongdoing, and of the detectives who struggle to solve the mysterious deaths. It's an extremely intelligent and involving series, and L is the single greatest fictional detective ever. Even cooler than Miss Marple, and that's saying something.
I recommend Death Note like woah. It's more intellectual and better animated than any anime series I have ever seen, and even better than most OVAs and one-shot films. It's got a crazy budget it seems, great music, awesome character design, a fascinating theme and it really is unpredictable. God. Whatever you do, don't get spoilered for Death Note.

Brian, so Paprika, Tokyo Godfathers, Perfect Blue and Millennium Actress are all directed by the same man? Crazy. I've heard people raving about Paprika at AnimeNewsNetwork (great place to look up minute production details- much better than Wikipedia). I saw Millennium Actress today, and I might have bought it if I hadn't already bought a bunch of manga. (Battle Royale 8 and GTO 1 for me, and Dramacon 2 for a friend. Yay for BOGOF!)

Lily, Wolf's Rain is meant to be extremely good. I borrowed the first disc (actually it was forced on me) this afternoon. I know the dub has Johnny Yong Bosch (Sid, that's Ichigo) and Crispin Freeman (who the rest of the world likes) so that's a good sign.
Oh jeez! I just looked at the box, and Yoko Kanno is credited for music! Watch this anime! :Q

BTW, I still haven't watched Excel Saga. I guess because I've watched Pani Poni Dash, and I presume the two to be similar. (Not that I didn't enjoy PPD vastly). If you're looking for something silly and strange, try PPD. :)

*~Pips~*

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 24  [ 477 posts ]
Return to “The Turf” | Jump to page 1 2 3 4 524 »
Jump to: