board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

An Anime Chat Thread (yes, and manga you sillies)

Post Reply   Page 19 of 24  [ 477 posts ]
Jump to page « 117 18 19 20 2124 »
Pippin4242
Post subject: Re: An Anime Chat Thread (yes, and manga you sillies)
Posted: Tue 24 Mar , 2009 1:31 am
Hasta la victoria, siempre

Black Jack! He's my homeboy! :D
Did you take any pictures? Which edition are the hardbacks? I think all of my BJ manga (yeah I know :roll: ) is in softback, but I was very lucky to find the softback of the second one before the recent reprint.
I haven't forgotten about the torrents you wanted, btw. I'll try and send them your way at the end of the week, if that's okay. :)

-Pips-

Avatar is a male me, drawn by a very close friend. Just don't ask why.

Profile Quote
Wilma
Posted: Tue 24 Mar , 2009 5:56 am
Takoyaki is love

Vertical is doing a reprint and they were only able to do 3 hardcover volumes for the series as they have exclusive stories. They could not get rights for some of the other exclusive stories that is why there are only 3 hard cover versions. The hard covers can only be bought through comic book stores, so that makes them harder to find online. All the rest of the places the first 3 volumes will be in soft cover without the exclusive stories.

The thing is they are pretty expensive, so a con is a good place to find them. I bought volume 3 and found a volume 2 but I couldn't afford it. They were being sold for 25$ without tax which will be the cheapest I can find them I am pretty sure. I will actually have to get to the dealers room early at Anime north to hopefully find a volume 1 and another volume 2.

The 2 dealers that had those volumes only ever had one copy for sale out of their entire inventory so shopping will be competitive. I'll take a pic for you at a later this week. :D

Itoshiki Sensei from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Avatar by: sparklessence

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Wilma
Posted: Sat 04 Apr , 2009 4:46 am
Takoyaki is love

:help: Alright does anyone here go on 4chan? There are some scans someone put up on request about how to pose for cosplay photos depending on props. If anyone uses 4chan would they be willing to go on and request them again and email them to me?

I have been warned by my friends that I should not go to 4chan and how it is poison for my sensitive mind. Also I am fully aware that there is a culture there that I am not aware of at all and I could get raked over the coals if I ask the wrong way.

I know about these particular cosplay scans as my friend was showing me stuff she got from 4chan months ago and these scans would be very useful in my essay for the stuff about art. Unfortunately she is staying for an indeterminate amount of time with her boyfriend away from school and I really can't get her. (I have tried email and she used to be on skype and her cellphone is dead. Out her friends and roommate I am the one who has most recently spoken to her.)

If someone can do it I will send you a Crazy Heads hat pin from the dealers room at Anime North. *desperate*
:help: :pray:
For stuff actually on anime, check out ef- a tale of memories, finished the first season. It is beautiful.

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Wilma
Posted: Sun 05 Apr , 2009 3:55 am
Takoyaki is love

One of my 4chan informants was able to get stuff for me including stuff on wig styling. Woot!!!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Wilma
Posted: Fri 10 Apr , 2009 6:37 pm
Takoyaki is love

Just found out Chi's sweet home is getting a second season. Woohoo!!!!!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Wilma
Posted: Mon 20 Apr , 2009 1:27 am
Takoyaki is love

Just found out Sayonara Zetsubou sensei is getting a third season!!! I am so happy!!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Posted: Mon 27 Apr , 2009 1:06 am

:Q

Best news I've heard in ages! :D

-Pips-

Profile Quote
Wilma
Posted: Mon 27 Apr , 2009 12:08 pm
Takoyaki is love

Has anyone watched or read Vampire Knight? I have seen all of the anime and skimmed through the manga and I am at a loss. The stupid show is so addicting but I was just so shocked by one part of the story. Freakin' messed up. :nono:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Posted: Mon 27 Apr , 2009 12:33 pm

Is it snobbish of me to have been entirely put off by the concept? :oops:

-Pips-

Profile Quote
Wilma
Posted: Mon 27 Apr , 2009 12:57 pm
Takoyaki is love

No, I was too but my neighbour's son recommended it to me. I was thinking why is a guy recommending a shoujo? I I started watching it 2 weeks ago and I have gone through the whole anime and skimmed the manga and now I am a little traumatized. It is so addicting though. Completely and utterly a Bishietastic shoujo. I never thought I would fall to a shoujo's clutches. :doh1:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Posted: Mon 27 Apr , 2009 1:01 pm

Aw, I like a good shoujo. Emphasis on good, though. I'm still in love with Full Moon wo Sagashite, and I've filched my girlfriend's Ouran so I can keep buying the books rather than her selling the one she had.

-Pips-

Profile Quote
Wilma
Posted: Mon 27 Apr , 2009 1:11 pm
Takoyaki is love

I don't have a ton of experience with shoujo, but Fruits basket and Ouran are shoujo at it's best. It's were the storyline goes beyond the shoujo formula (this is what I like about good shonen series too). Some shoujo though is well.. really cliche. I thought Vampire Knight was one of those cliched one since the storyline has the required cliche love triangle, and colour spread have a bit of a cliche look. (Innocent huge eyed girl caught between 2 GORGEOUS bishies) But I started watching the series and seeing how dark it is. Not to mention it has major sexual overtones without anyone ever saying anything pervy, which really surprised me. Not to mention I am usually not into vampire stuff much. The story has to be good or else I won't get into it, vampires or not.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Posted: Mon 27 Apr , 2009 1:38 pm

I love the extravagent art that shoujo lets people get away with. Maybe that's why I just couldn't get into Furuba? The art was a bit clunky for me, like Naruto. Neither manga-ka really seems to know what they're doing with screentones. On the other hand, Ai Yazawa is starting to offend me pretty badly, with her poor use of barely-altered photos for backgrounds. Her people are so beautiful, and so are the objects she does draw. She doesn't need to use those awful photos, and least not of all on the cover! I weep for book fourteen. :bawl:

-Pips-

Profile Quote
Wilma
Posted: Mon 27 Apr , 2009 2:56 pm
Takoyaki is love

I found how she draws people very beautiful for Nana. Why would she need to use photos? Her work speaks for itself.

Speaking of art, I guess you have a point. I think shoujo is the only type of publication where one can litter the page with flowers (or leaves or feathers or bubbles) everywhere. Once I saw a dress covered in flowers and I called it the "shoujo flowers" dress. Some art utterly repels me (like Naruto and Claymore), but most art I am fine with. Although the extreme shoujo styling in Vampire Knight initially didn't look enticing, but I guess I got used to it and it does not look so severe to me now, and I actually like the art. (Although curse you LaLa and Shoujo Beat for publishing your anthologies in bright pink!! :salmon: My eyes!!! )

Some of the story conventions in shoujo gets me at times. Like possible incest. Why? :suspicious: I don;t care how pretty, romantic and heroic they are, incest or perceived incest does not work for me. Heck even older/younger sometimes look odd since girls look very umm young. Like in VK there is a kiss between 2 characters who are probabaly like 3 or 4 years apart, but since the guy is supposed to be romantic and heroic looking, so he looks like he's 25 (very adult) although he is probably 19 or 20. There is a 16 year old and she looks like she is 15. So although there isn't a huge age difference it certainly looks like it. I thought I could get over it but I just can't see them actually be together. It just feels wrong, like the guy is taking advantage of a teenage girl. Maybe I would feel better if the girl looked more mature. Even though I love the series. I am pretty unsure about that part. That, and why some girls seem to love it so much. :shrug: :confused: (Although I don't get yaoi either, lets just the manga-ka opened the door for a lot of yaoi fanfic. :shrug: )

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Wilma
Posted: Wed 06 May , 2009 1:59 am
Takoyaki is love

Gah, Working on getting the panel titles finalized. The panel I am on called "Black Kids like this too" Is hitting a stumbling block as the panel co-ordinator is an American and wants to use the term "African American" :roll: Poor guy probably does not know what a laded term that can be to non-American black people, and to white Africans (the panel director is a white South African and does not like "African American" either.) Gah!!! It's just a title.

I convinced someone to fill out the panel for Sayanara Zetsubou Sensei so that will get approved. (The panel director even joined it and he has no time). Now I have to think up a description and title for that.

Also Although I suggested a code Geass Panel and I want to be the moderator (and other people agree) Someone else says they want to be the moderator yet they have not justified why. (I am not about cow towing to other peoples egos. It was hard work getting that panel filled.) I think we will reach a working title soon.

Vampire Knight , I don't care too much since I won't mod it. And Tsubasa/Xxxholic I think it will be easy to figure out.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Wilma
Posted: Thu 07 May , 2009 10:04 pm
Takoyaki is love

OK I am trying to pick which of the opening so of Sayanara Zetsubou sensei to use in the panel I am doing for AN. I wanted to approach the panel from an introductory perspective.

Which one works best?

or

or both? Which one is more newbie friendly. (BTW I have the translations of all the jokes in the second vid. All the Japanese word in the background are actually dialogue for jokes.) ANy Advice would be useful. I have to send these in, in a couple of days.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Wilma
Posted: Sun 10 May , 2009 3:24 pm
Takoyaki is love

Has anyone read TV tropes.com? I read it for an hour last week and now I understand the whole brother sister romance thing. It was quite enlightening. Although the site is spoilerific. I love the names of some of their tropes, like "strangled by the red string". (LOL!!) Last time I checked they had nothing for the entry on shoujo flowers which is one of the basics of anime I think.

Mith (from HOF) has given me some input on the vids from a newbie perspective and I think I will show vid 2 first as not to traumatize anyone.

*coughmoreinputwouldbeapprecitedcough*

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Posted: Mon 11 May , 2009 1:59 am

DEFINITELY the first one! I can't believe you'd let somebody persuade you that the other one is better! I don't even really remember it... was it from Goku or something? The lyrics in the second one are cutely characteristic of the series, but I don't think that the people at the panel are going to have much of a chance to catch any of the asides. You want something striking and a bit out there, and the first one is much more emblematic of the series artsy weirdness as far as that goes!

Please please please don't use the second one. It made it look like Lucky Star or something. :bawl:

-Pips-

Profile Quote
Wilma
Posted: Mon 11 May , 2009 10:44 pm
Takoyaki is love

Well the thing is it's from a newbie perspective. Sometimes the intro can hmm... give the wrong impression of the show. I have to be honest I really did almost leave the room the first time I saw SZS. I will show vid 1 but maybe at the end of the panel. At the begining I want to see who knows the series and who doesn't and I will decide what order to play the vids after that. If no one knows the series I will play vid 2 first, then vid 1. I have also tried to get them to play the series in one of the video rooms but it might be too late for that, but the panel director is going to try and make it happen.

I really don't want to traumatize people away from the series. Both of the openings are from season 1. I have translations of all the jokes in Vid 2 to explain the rewind/pause characteristic of the show.

The artsy weirdness I will talk about but I want people to say for the whole panel, so I can mention it.

Also, nothing is wrong with Lucky Star ;)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Posted: Tue 12 May , 2009 1:12 am

They will think that the show is dull-witted and pastel-hued, overplayed and outdated and only thinks it's clever if you start off with the second one. PPD, Azumanga Daioh, Negima... it's been done before, and although I like the way they're putting a twist on the school show comedy opening by, well, having it attached to SZS, it's not going to look half as clever to n00bs. Sayonara Zetsubou-Sensei is special because it is extravagent, and offensive, and clever. Traumatic, fine. Scare some people off. If they're that faint-hearted then they wouldn't enjoy the show anyway!

...I love Sayonara Zetsubou-Sensei, and I've never seen a black comedy from Japan before. I guess NHK ni Yokuso got close, but that was also a fairly heartfelt drama in some ways. Now I love Pani Poni Dash and all, but it's just not as clever! All the aspects you seem to want to highlight have been done before in recent anime history. You'd do better to play up the more unique aspects. Like, well, I guess you might not want to spoiler people too badly, but I thought it was fantastic when they traded all the voice actors for one scene, and then flipped to a low-budget claymation version. I guess that was in Zoku though, but my point stands... it's clever and stylised and yes it is totally bizarre and potentially traumatic, but that's why it's so wonderful! What about that scene with the optimist girl singing the awful song about women skinning cats? Or the dozens of suicide attempts? Just about anything I can think of from the early episodes of the first series would sell it better and more accurately than the second video.

I guess I'm more jaded than I thought. There's nothing wrong with the second video, but there's so much win in the first. It's so original, and there's so little of that allowed in the anime industry today. The nail that sticks up gets hammered down. It's incredible that they were allowed to make it, and even more so that it became successful.

-Pips-

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 19 of 24  [ 477 posts ]
Return to “The Turf” | Jump to page « 117 18 19 20 2124 »
Jump to: