board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

An Anime Chat Thread (yes, and manga you sillies)

Post Reply   Page 20 of 24  [ 477 posts ]
Jump to page « 118 19 20 21 2224 »
Wilma
Post subject: Re: An Anime Chat Thread (yes, and manga you sillies)
Posted: Tue 12 May , 2009 6:07 am
Takoyaki is love

I will need to talk this over with Mith and see what she thinks. The thing is I think there are people (like me) who if givent a chance will try out the show, but, well I want to make it easy for them. I am so serious, I really think if I did not lend my speakers to the anime club (which is what prevented me from leaving the room), I really think I would not become a fan of SZS like I am now. (The club president did admit she introduced it very very badly, which was true!! She just said it was a funny show full of randomness. She left out the black satire part.)

I saw the the first ep of Zoku and I never heard of the show in my life, the start of the show I did not know who anyone was, the crazy nosebleeds, Itoshiki Sensei in a suit, and stuff like the business and the beach cult and Itoshiki sensei being afraid of women. I was utterly confused and shocked. I did not know most of it was a joke in the begining and the intro just added to my utter shock and confusion. Especially with the crazy music and super fast jokes in the intro. Also much of it is culturally specific (which helped me but might confuse other people).

I do want to mention all the suicide jokes, the goofy stalking and experimentation with animation and trading the voice actors. Maybe you could read what Mith said on HOF. I really wanted a newbie perspective because I don't want to shock people into leaving the room.

I think I will just ask the panel audience what they want to see first and warn them I guess, and beg them not to leave. Before I even get to the videos I want to do a basic intro to the show so at least people know what it is about.

Itoshiki Sensei from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Avatar by: sparklessence

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Wilma
Posted: Tue 12 May , 2009 5:50 pm
Takoyaki is love

Oh my goodness. Anime North is doing Family Feud. They need survey subjects. I filled out the survey and I will proabaly do it again with different answers but I thought people here might want to give it a go.

http://www.surveywasp.com/ws/DS.php?uid=547&sid=1626" target="_blank

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Posted: Sat 16 May , 2009 1:51 am
Hasta la victoria, siempre

What's Family Feud? I filled it in, but some of the questions were stupid. Vic Mignogna is a twat and I will never understand North America's continuing obsession with him. Also poor spelling and duplicated questions were annoying. Luckily I could think of two really excellent traps (Isabella and Bridget).

Tonight I finished watching 0080 Gundam: War in the Pocket, and Cowboy Bebop. I am emotionally drained. Goodnight everybody.

-Pips-

Avatar is a male me, drawn by a very close friend. Just don't ask why.

Profile Quote
Wilma
Posted: Sat 16 May , 2009 5:33 am
Takoyaki is love

About Family feud it is a North American Game show that is based on surveys.
Family Feud

For the survey itself it was done by volunteers. (It's a fan run con.) I am pretty forgiving in that case.

Thanks for filling out the survey you have now added to the fun that is Family Feud!!!

I have only started to unpack from the move and I have not caught up to Tsubasa or xxxHolic at all *sigh*

So how was Cowboy Bebop? Did you cry? (I cried at the last ep with Edward, I didn't even know I was that emotionally attached.) :hug: Don't know much about Gundam War.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Wilma
Posted: Sat 16 May , 2009 5:42 am
Takoyaki is love

About that voice actor, I honestly just think he's willing to do conventions. Also I don't know who likes him at Funimation. He ruined the Ouran dub for me. :g2f:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Posted: Sat 16 May , 2009 10:13 am

Oooooooooh! Family Fortunes! :D

Vic ruined Full Metal Panic! and Tsubasa for me. But honestly, he's the only VA I've ever particularly noticed having fangirls. Doesn't he... play Al in FMA? That would mean they cast him as an adequate replacement for Paku Romi. o_0

-Pips-

Profile Quote
Wilma
Posted: Sat 16 May , 2009 3:37 pm
Takoyaki is love

He plays Edward Elric in FMA. I have seen him before (at the mini con I wen to), he seems pretty nice, but the voice he does for Edward Elric in FMA is very close to his natural voice and he can't make it sound different enough. He should never have been cast as Tamaki for Ouran (everyone else sounded pretty OK). Biggest mistake ever.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Posted: Sat 16 May , 2009 5:23 pm

Oh, that's right, Ed's the main guy isn't he? I was getting the Elric brothers mixed up. I've only seen one episode. He managed to modify his voice slightly when he was playing Kurz in FMP! - he lisped his way through it. Guy's supposed to be a ladykiller! Shares the voice of Urahara, for god's sake!

BLATANT PLUG
[ img ]

Working on a gen-fic for Tsubasa at the moment. If you're interested, I could post a link when I'm done. :)

-Pips-

Profile Quote
Wilma
Posted: Mon 18 May , 2009 6:51 am
Takoyaki is love

Lisping!! :shock: God no!!!!!!!!

Gah finalizing stuff for Anime north. Now someone wants to sneak their friend into the room. If only she said that earlier. I was just after I sent in all the confirmations and the DO NOT DO THIS OR ITS BILLED TO MY CREDIT CARD warning list. Fudge. I am happy I have printed off all my confirmation emails though so I should not have problems. To night I am going to catch up on Tsubasa and tomorrow I will catch up on xxxHolic. Vampire Knight I can skim it. Also I found out Dallhouse got approved for a second season woohoo!!

I have not been able to watch anything recently as I am over at my sisters' house doing laundry and assisting with an essay (her school is late since they went on strike for 12 weeks).

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Wilma
Posted: Thu 21 May , 2009 10:13 am
Takoyaki is love

Well the chapter catch up was not done. I guess I will be catching up at the hotel computer. I leave for Anime North in around an hour.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Wilma
Posted: Sun 24 May , 2009 9:20 am
Takoyaki is love

I just finished reading the latest chapter of xxxholic. :bawl: I am not exagerating, I actually cried real tears.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Wilma
Posted: Thu 28 May , 2009 12:30 pm
Takoyaki is love

Now that Anime North is over, I have caught a cold. Once my cold is over I will write a report for AN.

Does anyone know where I could find subs of Hayate the Combat Butler? *desperately searching*

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Posted: Sun 31 May , 2009 7:35 pm

Oh god, I'm not up to date on xxxHOLiC (I've read up to the end of Kei, more or less) but concurrent events in Tsubasa are WORRYING FOR ALL CONCERNED.

Mutual pact of non-spoilers please.

*bites nails*

-Pips-

Profile Quote
Wilma
Posted: Mon 01 Jun , 2009 8:00 pm
Takoyaki is love

I am up to date on Tsubasa also. :D Still have my cold but it is getting a lot better. Maybe I will have a report by Wednesday.

Is anyone watching Eden of the East?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Wilma
Posted: Wed 10 Jun , 2009 4:18 am
Takoyaki is love

Alright I guess I will report on some of the panels I did. The most interesting panel was the Black kids like Anime too panel. I only joined up because they needed people to fill it to get approved and there was heavy support from the Panel director since he was raised in South Africa. EDIT: I forgot to point out the room was totally packed. Couldn't even see any of the floor.

It was very interesting as each viewpoint was a little different since people with American backgrounds had different experiences from the people with Caribbean backgrounds and people from Africa were different all together. One American noted that for Black American fans since he feels they don't feel comfortable with and/or don't have a defined Black American identity, being an anime fan is too far out of the box for some and that is why some other people (black or non- black), think it is strange to like Anime. I explained and so did one of my co-panelists that it's sort of a generational thing in the Caribbean as older people don't get it, and non-Black people have thought it was weird. The African perspective was different as one of my Co-Panelists wants to learn Japanese, yet she hasn't learned her parents language (they are from Nigeria and she went to boarding school there).

We also talked about cosplay and one great cosplayer said she sort felt like she was in a box. I pointed out that if a cosplay is well done it can still work if a person is not light skinned, and I pointed out that some white and Asian people cosplay black characters all the time. We even talked a little bit about Gothic Lolita. It was a really fun panel and there was complimentary cheese and muffins which disappeared fast (Anime North offered to pay for it since the panel director really wanted a good turn out for the panel and advertised the free food.)

We didn't get to talk about how we got the name of the panel but the people we talked to afterwards said we went the correct route as it was the most inclusive term. (there was a good amount of non-black people which is what we wanted!!!). OK that was long, I will post about another panel later.

I should point out that many people pointed out how they don't like constantly being associated with gangstas!!! And I think liking anime just breaks the stereotype too much for some people.

Also myself and one of my co-panelists confessed we don't watch BET.

Is anyone up to date with xxHolic, or Tsubasa Resevoir Chronicles (it's so good both series are well getting close to the end) The second last cover for xxxHolic has been released and I have to say it is different from all the other ones.

I have tried watching Black Butler (which is actually quite funny but not for kids), and I am finally watching the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (I am understanding the humour a little bit). Has anyone seen it? I wanted to know which is best chronological order or broadcast order. (ep 1, which is really ep 11 was sooo bad. Especially as a first ep, good thing I knew about the series before that). I liked how the narrator when describing things before he met Haruhi everything was dull and grey looking and then when he meets her, everything is in bright colours. Although I feel really sorry for Asahina-san. Being fanservice bait is no fun and I think I would kick a person into next week if they ever used me like that. *shakes head*

Pips!!!! You might wanna catch up on xxxholic before you get spoiled somehow through TRC. A bit of it takes a boring phase and then... I can't say anything else. Also you may not want to look at the latest xxxholic cover.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Posted: Wed 10 Jun , 2009 10:11 pm

It's cool... I resolved a long time ago to only keep up with Tsubasa, because I really, really like getting the translated volumes without knowing what's in them. I'm buying Tsubasa piecemeal. And I know I'm missing out on basically all of the Watanuki stuff. I got the... other stuff... today. And though I found it sad, because of the focus on other characters, I thought the chapter ended on an extremely happy note. I rpetty much squeed. :oops:

What's BET? :scratch:

Anyway, glad to hear it went so well. :D I'm watching Chi's Sweet Home, and I bought the RG Veda volume I was missing, as well as two Tsubasa to fill in a gap, and the first Antique Bakery. I thought the anime was exploitative and shallow when I first started watching it, and then... well yeah. I've never been so happy to be proven wrong. :)

ETA: You are sooooooo wrong about Haruhi. XD The first episode is AMAZING. :LMAO:

-Pips-

Profile Quote
Wilma
Posted: Thu 11 Jun , 2009 12:25 am
Takoyaki is love

Aww Xxxholic is such good companion series to xholic and it helps you appreciate some of the characters more. I started with xxxholic and decided to start with Tsubasa and I am so glad I decided to read both. You also realize how important certain characters are, and where certain things are. I told Del Rey, I will only buy Tsubasa if they release the sweet hardcover versions. XxxHolic is only going to be 16 volumes. Also for xxxholic it does not spoil anything for Tsubasa. The Tsubasa stuff really is in the background but you see how they are connected, and it helps a person understand how some of Yuko's magic works and how she is the witch of time and space.

For Haruhi did you watch the little movie they made as the 11th episode or as the first episode. I got it after a while, but I think it is a bad introduction.

BET, is Black Entertainment Television and is an American television station. It displays a lot of stereotypes. :roll:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Posted: Fri 12 Jun , 2009 9:03 pm

Don't really think they could pull that off in the UK. We just... have black people on TV and black people who make TV? :scratch: I guess I wouldn't be perfectly tuned in to potential alienation and all, but... it does pretty much seem like an opportunity to perpetuate stereotypes.

Weird question while we're on race in the anime thread. Black French live-action dubbers were getting pissed last year because they said they weren't getting enough work. I'd say that there seems to be a fair difference between a 'standard' white voice and a 'standard' black voice - I'm no student of music, but to me the pitch has always seemed deeper and the tone... heartier? when black people speak. So if I'm not being a crazy, surely the French dubbers should have been complaining to the English-speakers who made the original films, and not the people who cast for the French dubs?

Anyway, that's not my real question. Do you, Wilma, and anybody potentially still following the thread, think that dub casters in the English-speaking anime market under-utilise black VAs in non-black roles?

Jet Black of Cowboy Bebop - a white character played by a black voice actor.

Zaraki Kenpachi [with the eyepatch] of Bleach - a white character played by a white voice actor.
Zaraki Kenpachi in Japanese - sounds at least an octave deeper to me.

I think Kenpachi could have sounded an awful lot better in English if the VA they'd picked hadn't sounded much smaller and less gruff than the Japanese Kenpachi. Although I'm sure a Japanese actor played him in Japanese, there's a smaller pool of voice acting talent to draw on for English dubs, so surely a shortcut to the kind of gravelly depth they should have been casting for would have been to mostly try out black VAs? :scratch:

Oh, and as an aside, I think that's the first time I've heard Kaname Tousen (again, trying to open this up - the black character in the second clip) in English. He didn't sound terribly black to me either. He sounded like a white guy very carefully but pretty inaccurately trying to sound 'British'

-Pips-

Profile Quote
Wilma
Posted: Mon 30 Nov , 2009 10:57 pm
Takoyaki is love

OK I am so sorry Pips for not answering your question. To be really honest I do not think there is enough used voice actors altogether. It's like they use the same 12 people over and over again. Also sometimes you really can't tell a persons ethnicity by their voice (at times).Also I think the guy who does Kenpachi does a really good job, and the actor who did Jet in Cowboy Bebop really surprised me when I saw him in the interviews.

I will gloss over the anime watching I have done for now, because I really wanted to ask a pressing question. Has anyone read Hot Gimmick? I finally read it and well... I think I am sort of in the middle on it. I find some people hate and some people love it. I remember hearing about Hot Gimmick and constantly getting it mixed up with the other manga (about some girl getting revenge on an ex by getting more famous then him but I can't remember the title).

Anyway it left me really mixed. I think the reason I liked it is because I found there are many many teenage girls like the lead in the story. I found that many teenagers are like that in at least a couple of the characters. But the actual relationship basics I am sort of really dislike (although it makes for a good soaper). Anyone read it so I can actually talk about it with someone without feeling stupid? (Also I really like the art. I am such a sucker for the art.)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Posted: Fri 11 Dec , 2009 1:53 pm

I haven't read Hot Gimmick, but I do have some idea of the tone it uses. :) I think manga doesn't have to set a good example to tell a good story, but that some of them are so involved that it's easy to lose sight of the fact that the creator doesn't necessarily endorse the behaviour of their characters. Case in point, everything anybody does in Nana, ever. :P

I'm watching Yugo the Negotiator right now. I saw the first episode with my anime society last year, and I loved it. Now I actually own the DVDs (lucky shot - saw them going cheap in a Forbidden Planet) and I've realised how freakin' desperately limited the animation is. The character designs are a bit on the ugly side, too. But I know there's an epic story in here, trying to break out.

Maybe I should have been watching Flag instead? :scratch:

*~Pips~*

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 20 of 24  [ 477 posts ]
Return to “The Turf” | Jump to page « 118 19 20 21 2224 »
Jump to: