Post Reply   Page 4 of 5  [ 82 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »
Silwen
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 29 Aug , 2007 1:56 pm
DomiKNITrix

:clap:

If that isn't a good sign, I don't know what is. :D

Abso-knitting-lutely! The knitting blog.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 29 Aug , 2007 4:49 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

:clap: Yay for them!

That is such a pain about the contractor, though, but I hope your parents push the issue.

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Crucifer
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 29 Aug , 2007 5:50 pm
A song outlasts a dynasty.

Yaay! Go Cems brothers! Fight the power!

Sleep is a death; Oh, make me try by sleeping what it is to die.

Profile Quote
The OG Borry
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 29 Aug , 2007 9:38 pm
The best things in life are not things

Location: here....<_< yeah here thats Ceres, CA for you stalkers

Should he be playing with those bandages? :Q I'm a ref for soccer and he'd have to have some damn good reasons to play were I refereeing, not to be a prude or anything just doesnt look safe.

Borry

Borry: equality works both ways cheater!
Don: so does not

So I take pictures now, check em out if you'd like. Here you go.

Profile Quote
cemthinae
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 29 Aug , 2007 10:41 pm
TTBK's cemmie

The OG Borry wrote:
Should he be playing with those bandages? :Q I'm a ref for soccer and he'd have to have some damn good reasons to play were I refereeing, not to be a prude or anything just doesnt look safe.

Borry
They are allowed to play because the bandages are only there to protect their skin grafts from the sun. :)

Trust me... they wouldn't be out on that field if my mother hadn't received the absolute ok from their doctors.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
cemthinae
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 16 Jan , 2008 1:33 am
TTBK's cemmie

Just a bit of an update...

Both of my brothers were scheduled for surgery on Friday. Jake was going to get his final skin graft for his hand done. Samuel was going to have his expansion surgery for the skin graft on his head.

(If you don't know what expansion is, well, they surgically inserted a balloon under the skin next to his skull. Over 3 months they've been gradually filling the balloon with saline solution. The end result is he looks like he has a second head growing from his first head... but they'll be able to flap that over his entire burn on top his head & he won't end up bald.)

Anyway, the past few weeks Sam hasn't been feeling well & today he was admitted to the burn center with a high fever. They've started him on antibiotics & moved his surgery to tomorrow. Things will proceed as were scheduled, just a few days earlier.

This was a bit of a surprise, since all other recovery has been excellent. Naturally we're all a bit worried, but if a fever is the worst thing to have happened since the accident.... well, we've had it easy then.

After these surgeries the boys should be done with surgical procedures & all that will be left is continuing physical therapy.

We really were blessed. :)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
The Watcher
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 16 Jan , 2008 1:45 am
Same as it ever was

cem -

I have been worrying about all of you since you then started having the eyesight issues. I am glad the brothers seem to have come out of this horrible ordeal better than would be expected, and does the skin graft over Sam's scalp mean that hair will regrow? That is wonderful, and I hope his fever is only a slight set back.

What about you and the unrelated vision issues? Did that all turn out alright as well? No more pink blurry moments?

:hug: :love:

Scientists tell us that the fastest animal on earth, with a top speed of 120 miles per second, is a cow that has been dropped from a helicopter.

Never under any circumstances take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

- Dave Barry

Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive...
Supermassive Black Hole.

- Muse

[ img ]

Profile Quote
cemthinae
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 16 Jan , 2008 1:49 am
TTBK's cemmie

My eyes are fine. It had something to do with the new lights they had installed at work. (I still have problems with them, but it's not because of sight issues.)

I posted about that, and then I believe I mentioned that I was going to cut back my internet time. (I have definitely been doing that, or at least trying.) My time will be even more strained as I started a 2nd job this week. I'm going back to work for the vet I worked for 3 years ago.

Anyway, the idea behind expansion is that it is the exact same skin & hair that is needed to cover a certain area.... so he'll have a full head of hair.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dawnnamira
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 16 Jan , 2008 2:13 am

Oh, I'm glad to hear they're both doing well and almost completely through all of the recovery stuff.

*happy dance*

How strange it is to be anything at all

Profile Quote
The Watcher
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 16 Jan , 2008 2:37 am
Same as it ever was

cemthinae wrote:
My eyes are fine. It had something to do with the new lights they had installed at work. (I still have problems with them, but it's not because of sight issues.)

I posted about that, and then I believe I mentioned that I was going to cut back my internet time. (I have definitely been doing that, or at least trying.) My time will be even more strained as I started a 2nd job this week. I'm going back to work for the vet I worked for 3 years ago.

Anyway, the idea behind expansion is that it is the exact same skin & hair that is needed to cover a certain area.... so he'll have a full head of hair.
Good to hear on all fronts then. :) Is this the vet that you liked working for so much for who then later needed no help but otherwise wanted you back? As opposed to the few that you tried working for in between? Or, is this that lady vet that you worked with when you were still at the shelter?

And I am glad that your eyesight is fine, I am sorry I missed where you posted about that, but, having had migraines and some scary vision related issues as well (tunnel vision and even vision blackouts a few isolated times) I know how one can tend to panic about such things.

I still cannot completely understand the skin expansion thing, I have seen it done on some medical shows and such, and they stretch the skin with the balloons, but doesn't it really matter about what the condition of the tissue is where the skin graft will go? Obviously is does. I still do not understand how it all works, I am guessing that Sam still had the hair follicles there and that those tissues were healthy and the skin graft merely provides the right skin coverage to promote new hair growth? In any case, it all sounds very good.

May 2008 be a good year for you and yours all around.

Last edited by The Watcher on Wed 16 Jan , 2008 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Scientists tell us that the fastest animal on earth, with a top speed of 120 miles per second, is a cow that has been dropped from a helicopter.

Never under any circumstances take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

- Dave Barry

Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive...
Supermassive Black Hole.

- Muse

[ img ]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 16 Jan , 2008 2:45 am

Beth, I am guessing that they will expand the skin in an area that is healthy and not burned. Once that skin is stretched, they will use it to cover the burned area. ??? Is that right, cem? Or will it be something different?

I hope his infection subsides quickly and that the rest of the recovery process goes really, really well.

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
BrianIsSmilingAtYou
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 16 Jan , 2008 3:17 am

The news sounds good.

You and your brothers are in my thoughts.

BrianIs :) AtYou

[ img ]

My niece, Humera, under a pumpkin leaf!

Profile Quote
laureanna
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 16 Jan , 2008 5:31 am
Triathlete

Thanks for the update Cem. You are in my thoughts though I seldom say anything.

Well, I'm back.

Profile Quote
trazzie
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 16 Jan , 2008 8:36 pm

Quote:
(If you don't know what expansion is, well, they surgically inserted a balloon under the skin next to his skull. Over 3 months they've been gradually filling the balloon with saline solution. The end result is he looks like he has a second head growing from his first head... but they'll be able to flap that over his entire burn on top his head & he won't end up bald.)
It's so amazing how they can do stuff like that. The skin is such a fascinating organ!

I'm so glad to hear that your brothers are doing so well, Cem! Thanks for the update.

Profile Quote
cemthinae
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 18 Jan , 2008 12:46 am
TTBK's cemmie

LalaithUrwen wrote:
Beth, I am guessing that they will expand the skin in an area that is healthy and not burned. Once that skin is stretched, they will use it to cover the burned area. ??? Is that right, cem? Or will it be something different?
Yeah, it's basically like this.

They covered his entire left side of his head with the expanded skin, to cover the part where the original graft didn't take place.

Surgery went very well for Sam. They had enough skin to cover his head & the infection wasn't as bad as they initially thought. He should come home sometime tomorrow.

Thanks for all the good thoughts. :)

Beth, this is the vet I worked for about 3 years ago.... I had been an employee for 7 years, but I had to quit to take the shelter directorship. He had two employees leave for maternity issues & hired me.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
cemthinae
Post subject: Re: Cem's brothers - Update w/ pics!
Posted: Wed 07 Oct , 2009 7:06 pm
TTBK's cemmie

I thought it might be time for a little update about my brothers & the lawsuit. (Just to clarify, my family is *not* the type to sue, but my parents now have enormous debt from the medical bills. Since the man who instigated the accident didn't have a million dollar insurance policy, like he said, my parents chose to take him to court for damages, to help pay said bills.)

Anyway, Sam is doing great & is college this year! He's playing soccer for their team (on scholarship, no less!) and has really done well this past year.

Jake is a junior in high school (I think) and still playing soccer for their team.

Neither have had to have any major surgeries since a year ago. Both still do physical therapy, but other than scars & Sam not being able to use his left hand, they are pretty much normal now.

My parents' court case went before a judge a few weeks back. The guy (I'm not sure how else to describe him.... we just all call him "that guy"!) actually showed up in court & chose not to be represented by legal council. He was given a chance to question my mother, but passed. (I guess that is good as now he will never have that chance again.) Anyway, he has no assets, but the judge ruled in my family's favor. It's a 1.6 million dollar settlement. Basically, we'll get nothing, unless he ever comes into money (ie wins the lottery or inherits) or he dies (ie has inheritance money). The settlement is good for 10 years, and after that my parents can get it extended for another 10.

I know it sounds like a rather large amount, but it probably won't even cover all the bills my parents are chipping away on, right now! It is nice to have an official ruling & who knows, maybe he will win the lotto!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Thu 08 Oct , 2009 1:24 am

I'm glad the judge ruled in your favor. Can't they garnish his wages or something? I mean, he should have to pay some of it right now.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Wilma
Posted: Sat 10 Oct , 2009 1:55 pm
Takoyaki is love

I agree with Lalaith. Also how can he have no assets? Also won't this colour the rest of his life? He will make he will never come into money or have anything of value in his name. Did he get there in a car?

Itoshiki Sensei from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Avatar by: sparklessence

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
cemthinae
Posted: Mon 12 Oct , 2009 10:38 pm
TTBK's cemmie

Well, he sold his business, his property & dumped all possible assets prior to the lawsuit... so there really isn't anything that we can get. People got a right to eat still. (At least for now, anyway. Who knows with our government!)

It's frustrating, but still nice to have a "victory". My mom keeps saying "Who knows. Alot can happen in 20 years." and she's right.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
vison
Posted: Mon 12 Oct , 2009 10:42 pm
Best friends forever

Didn't your parents' health insurance pay for your brothers' care?

Living on Earth is expensive,
but it does include a free trip
around the sun every year.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 4 of 5  [ 82 posts ]
Return to “The Turf” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »
Jump to: