board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Cem's brothers - Update w/ pics!

Post Reply   Page 1 of 5  [ 82 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 3 4 5 »
cemthinae
Post subject: Cem's brothers - Update w/ pics!
Posted: Tue 29 May , 2007 10:01 pm
TTBK's cemmie

(cross posted with HOF & TOB)

This afternoon 3 of my brothers were eloctrocuted in an accident involving a telvision antenna & some power lines.

My brother Thomas (19) suffered minor burns & is being held for observation at the local ER.

My brothers, Jacob (15) and Samuel (17) are being airlifted to the nearest intensive care burn unit. (About 45 minutes away.)

My parents & sister are on their way there to be with them & find out what is going on. Last known they were responsive & stable, but not much positive seems to be going for them at the moment.

TTBK & I are staying home with the youngest kids.

Any & all prayers & good thoughts would be appreciated. I will try to post more when we hear more.

Last edited by cemthinae on Wed 29 Aug , 2007 1:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
elfshadow
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 29 May , 2007 10:05 pm
Kill the headlights and put it in neutral

Oh, Cem, how awful. :( Your entire family will be in my closest thoughts right now. I doubt that there is much any of us can do so far away, but if there is please let us know! Thinking of you all. :hug:

Profile Quote
Rodia
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 29 May , 2007 10:19 pm

Holy... :Q

Cemmie! :( That sounds awful. I'll be praying that your brothers come out of it with nothing but a really good story to creep their future grandkids out with.

Thinking of you and yours. And yes, do let us know if there's anything at all we can do. :hug:

[ img ]
Help me go to the North Pole! by Magic Madzik, on Flickr

TRYING TO GET TO THE NORTH POLE! You can help by voting: http://www.blogyourwaytothenorthpole.com/entries/244

Profile Quote
oldtoby
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 29 May , 2007 11:06 pm
Cuddly Studmuffin

:Q Oh man!! I sure hope they all pull through ok. You hang in there ok? :hug:

Profile Quote
Jonny
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 29 May , 2007 11:07 pm
pixel-pusher

Oh my God, Cemmie, praying.

“And the ship went out into the High Sea and passed into the West, until at last on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.”

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 29 May , 2007 11:19 pm
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

Oh my frig. :(

Cem, ugh. :hug: I sincerely hope the IC unit can look after them.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
cemthinae
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 29 May , 2007 11:21 pm
TTBK's cemmie

We just heard from my sister who is with my parents. They just talked with the doctors & both of my brothers are going to be ok.

We still don't know a whole lot, but it sounds like both of them are facing surgery at this point.

Samuel has some severe nerve damage in his hand and Jacob is in danger of losing a toe.

Both are very athletic boys so this will be hard on them.

Your prayers are still very much appreciated. It was good to have a place like this to turn to today. I felt so lost...

Anyway, so far we have heard positive news from the doctors & there are alot of people praying for them & our family.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 29 May , 2007 11:25 pm
Not so deep as a well

Awful news, but happy to hear it's not as bad as it could be. I've seen much worse from wrestling with Mr. Westinghouse. Hope they recover fully and quickly.

Destiny is a rhythm track on which we must improvise.

In some cases, firing the drummer helps.

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 29 May , 2007 11:50 pm

:hug:

Profile Quote
Wilma
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 30 May , 2007 1:09 am
Takoyaki is love

Oh my gosh Cem!!!! It's good to know they will be OK overall. I hope things go well.

Itoshiki Sensei from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Avatar by: sparklessence

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Impenitent
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 30 May , 2007 1:30 am
Try to stay perky

Oh Cem! The good news is a relief. Still, all my healing thoughts are bent upon your brothers - and on your family for ongoing strength.

[ img ]

"Believe me, every heart has its secret sorrows, which the world knows not;
and oftentimes we call a man cold when he is only sad." ~Robert C. Savage

Profile Quote
Sunsilver
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 30 May , 2007 2:05 am

WHEW! So glad to hear they're going to come out of this with nothing worse than some scars and nerve damage! It COULD have been so much worse...

Neverthless, I will keep them in my prayers for complete healing!

When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose[/size]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 30 May , 2007 2:41 am
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

Oh my gosh! I'm sorry I didn't see this till now, but I will start praying immediately. I'm glad to hear the prognosis is good, if still difficult.

:hug: :hug:

Keep us updated.

Love,

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
cemthinae
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 30 May , 2007 3:32 am
TTBK's cemmie

As I am stuck here at home I thought I would type up a little bit more about what happened today.

A few months ago my parents decided to get rid of the old tv tower at our house. They were only able to find one man who was willing to contract to do it. For $550 he'd remove it with his own manpower, but for $100 less he'd let us come up with our own help to move it.

He came today. My brothers & TTBK were supposed to help my dad with the lifting & moving part of it, while the contractor manuvered the tower.

TTBK got called in to work today & you have no idea how many times I've thanked God that he did. He could have been there. He could have been injured, maybe even killed. We cannot live in the past, but I will never fully understand what all transpired today, nor its purpose for shaking up all of our lives.

My 3 brothers were apparently holding onto the metal tower when it somehow slipped & landed on a live power line.

My parents, I must point out, are amazing people. My father pushed my one brother, Thomas, out of the way, when he realized what was happening & Tom only ended up with minimal burn damage as a result. My father was shocked in the process, and refused medical attention, of course.

My other two brothers, Sam & Jake, were stuck to the tower, by their hands & my parents were pulling them off, both getting shocked in the process.

My mother not only performed make-shift CPR on the two boys, but also put out the fire that had started in Samuel's hair. It is very possible that she helped keep them alive while the EMTs were on their way.

I was at work when I noticed that two of my sisters & my mother had all called my cell phone & I had an urgent message. My mother's message only briefly explained that the boys had been eloctrocuted & that they still had heartbeats. When I heard that, I broke down, sobbing.

Luckily TTBK works right across the alley from the vet clinic & he had been contacted by one sister. He came over to get me & we raced home, not really knowing what all had really happened... only knowing that my brothers had heartbeats.

To say this was scary.... yeah...

We arrived home to a rather chaotic scene of firemen & police. It appears the contractor will be under some investigation. The police seemed very suspicious of him.

My mother had driven to the hospital with my brother, Tom. He is still being kept there overnight because he had blacked out for a few moments. His burns are very minor & they plan to release him in the morning.

My other brothers were airlifted to the closest burn center & at the time all we knew was that they were stable enough to be moved. A good sign, but we still had no knowledge of prognosis.

My parents were going to drive to the burn center, by themselves no less, but us kids put our foot down & forced them to let one of my sisters make the drive for them.

The waiting & not knowing just kills you. It really does.

There were moments when it felt as though a sixth of our family was going to die. We were all so terrified.

The outpouring of concern from neighbours, church members, even complete strangers has been amazing & very much needed. We're all still a little shocky.

My parents & sister were able to see Jacob tonight. He is tired & a little painful. He doesn't remember a thing, which I think is a blessing. We still don't know about his toe yet. They just wanted to get him stabilized.

As of right now my family hasn't been allowed to see Samuel yet because they are still working on him. (He got the brunt of it, from the sounds of it.) He did wave his arm at my mom when they wheeled him past... we will take that as a good sign.

Words can hardly express the dread, then relief, the concern that has been flooding all our hearts & minds.

My brothers are safe, but there could be a very long road to recovery ahead of them.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 30 May , 2007 3:59 am
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

That is absolutely terrifying.

(I'm so glad TTBK wasn't there, and I'm so glad your parents kept their heads and saved your brothers' lives.)

How far away is the burn center?

You all still need lots of prayers. :pray:

And is your dad okay?

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
gimli_axe_wielder
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 30 May , 2007 5:44 am
The easily amuse-OH SHINY!

:Q :Q :Q :Q :Q :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: For you and family Cem :(

Things and stuff.

Profile Quote
Lady_of_Rohan
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 30 May , 2007 5:59 am
A maiden young and sad

Good to hear that they'll be okayish.

Ithilien, the garden of Gondor now desolate kept still a dishevelled dryad loveliness.

Sweet home Indiana
[ img ]

Profile Quote
Rodia
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 30 May , 2007 6:16 am

Your parents are...well I think the word is heroes.

Praying for your brothers, and hoping their recovery is better than what the doctors predict.

[ img ]
Help me go to the North Pole! by Magic Madzik, on Flickr

TRYING TO GET TO THE NORTH POLE! You can help by voting: http://www.blogyourwaytothenorthpole.com/entries/244

Profile Quote
Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 30 May , 2007 6:21 am
Per aspera ad astra

Many thoughts, Cem.

I hope eveyone will recover and take the time to admit wounds and - be they visible or not - and heal them.

Nichts Schöneres unter der Sonne als unter der Sonne zu sein.
(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 30 May , 2007 7:58 am
Filthy darwinian hobbit

Thank heavens for cool thought and fast action - and bravery. I hope they make a fast recovery and it will recede to a story to tell their grandchildren.

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 5  [ 82 posts ]
Return to “The Turf” | Jump to page 1 2 3 4 5 »
Jump to: