The Last Homely Site on the Web

Lushing....

Post Reply   Page 84 of 86  [ 1717 posts ]
Jump to page « 182 83 84 85 86 »
Berhael
Post subject: Re: Lushing....
Posted: Thu 28 May , 2009 8:53 am
Milk and kisses

I think it's pretty significant when even us die-hard Lushies are going off Lush. I haven't been excited by anything new in the last couple of years, and I'm very disappointed by the new soap formulation. I still have my classics and am very happy that we can get Retro products, but every time I get a new Lush Times I just go... meh. The sugar scrubs look mildly interesting, and one of the new moisturisers I tried was nice, but left my skin far too shiny. I've started using other brands consistently too - Origins, Yves Rocher and even Boots' own No7, and found they work, so I don't have that much of a motivation to go back to Lush. Having said that, I might give the moisturisers another try...

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
Rebecca
Posted: Thu 28 May , 2009 11:26 am

I heard they might be coming out with Lush sugar scrubs. Not yet in the NA, though. But considering how stupidly easy and cheap it is to make them, I doubt I'll be buying any. :P

I was getting bored with Lush, but then I started working there. The stuff's a lot more appealing when it's 50% off or better yet, free. :D Now that it's not, I'm back to not wanting to spend all that money when I'm not that thrilled by most of it.

Just yesterday, I told my roommate (who had also worked at Lush with me) about the discon list. She started laughing about having to actually buy soap, and from Target no less. "It was $4- for 2 bars of soap! What had I been thinking!?" :P

[ img ]

Profile Quote
RELStuart
Posted: Thu 28 May , 2009 7:02 pm
Legendury speller

For the longest time I thought Lushing was about people making their own make up and hygeine products. But apparently it's actually a store. :halo:

Wonder if they will ever have bath water cretin?

I bought this American Crew Shampoo cause is smells a little like lemon but in a faint tropical way. I really like it but it was way to expensive. Any other products out there that might be similar?

"When people don't believe in you, you have to believe in yourself. "
Pierce Brosnan

"Please don't disillusion me. I haven't had breakfast yet." Card

Profile Quote
Amrunelen
Posted: Thu 28 May , 2009 7:51 pm
wencherific

One of the workers I befriended at one of the shops here in Glasgow had read off that discon list to me a couple of weeks ago....the only things I think I'll mildly mourn are skinny dip buttercream and mudflats which I only bought once but loved. I still get excited enough about the stuff...as far as new things I've enjoyed the Vanilla Dee-lite lotion enough thought prefer the scent of the solid perfume more....without the extra fruityness from the kiwi and such in the lotion.

I've also tried the green sugar scrub (2.50 GBP, not bad). They melt easily and need to be used on damp skin and out of the water, but I got about 6 or 7 showers out of mine being careful with it. I did find it quite nice. There's a delicious looking new face mask out....Oatfix or something like that, with oat in the name anyway, that looks quite nice but I didn't get any because I have some cupcake in the fridge and am only here for two more weeks. I'm curious as to how well Greased Lightening may work as a spot treatment, though not so curious to have gotten it....since I don't have that much trouble with my skin anymore.

For the newerish soaps I quite like Porridge Soap....not for lathering but I like the smell and it's quite moisturizing, texture reminding me a bit of figs and leaves which didn't really lather either before they changed their soap base. More soft and squidgy-like. I bought a piece of Chox Away since it smells like Honey Trap, which I love, but haven't tried it yet.

Annnd just recently I've found two new favorite things that have been around for a while but I've just never used myself.... baby face and breath of fresh air. The girl I always talk to when I go in has been giving me samples galore so she gave me bits fo a whole facial routine. :P Ultra bland and baby face to decide if I liked the solid of liquid form better, Breath of Fresh Air, and Cosmetic Lad (which I learned from her was actually supposed to be 'cosmetic lab' but someone mispelled it and the name stuck....never knew that). She also gave me a pretty sieable chunk of coal face a while back but I can't use that without a moisturizer....dries out my skin.

I'll definitely be hoarding some things to take back with me though because of the price difference. Large tub of ultra bland here, 8-something pounds....witht he exchange rate the other day, came out to 13-something dollars. And it's sold for around $30 in the states. :Q Ocean salt's another I'll probably get too...about the same as far as price difference.

[ img ]

"Morning has broken and I have felt a presence that disturbs
me with the joy of elevated thoughts; a sense sublime of
something far more deeply interfused, whose dwelling is the
light of setting suns, and the round ocean and the living air,
and the blue sky, and in the mind of man; a motion and a
spirit, that impels." -Wordsworth

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Thu 28 May , 2009 9:43 pm
Aspiring to heresy

RELStuart wrote:
I bought this American Crew Shampoo cause is smells a little like lemon but in a faint tropical way. I really like it but it was way to expensive. Any other products out there that might be similar?
Is that a Lush product? I don't know it.

Well, if you want to try just one Lush product, you can't do better than The Olive Branch shower gel. Try it!

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
Holbytla
Posted: Thu 28 May , 2009 10:40 pm
Grumpy cuz I can be

For all of you newly found Lush haters, I am accepting free bottles of Olive Branch.

And I Love Juicy as well. You can keep the rest.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Rebecca
Posted: Thu 28 May , 2009 10:40 pm

I think he means American Cream. It's a vaguely fruity (strawberries and bits of citrussy stuff): http://www.lushusa.com/shop/products/ha ... onditioner" target="_blank

As far as bottled stuff ... well, it's all expensive. :P

American cream is rather vanilla-y, and they've got a whole new line of vanilla products if you like that. But, like Jude said, the Olive Branch shower gel is pretty much the best thing they have. :D

[ img ]

Profile Quote
yovargas
Posted: Thu 28 May , 2009 10:56 pm

http://www.americancrew.com/" target="_blank" target="_blank

Male-targeted brand of salon products.

Profile Quote
Rebecca
Posted: Thu 28 May , 2009 11:15 pm

Well fine.
:razz:

But Lush is probably not cheaper (not sure, since I didn't see prices on the website).

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Amrunelen
Posted: Fri 29 May , 2009 12:32 am
wencherific

Look for lemon scented shower gels....chances are they're easier to find and some will likely enough work just as well for hair as body, but may take some trial and error.

I found an amaaaazing lime shower gel here....99p in one of the drug stores. It's like a lime smack in the face. :Q There was a lemon version as well. The name of the brand is escaping me now, but a brit thing I imagine.

I love the lime stuff, but I still love my LUSH. :P

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Fri 29 May , 2009 1:18 am
Aspiring to heresy

Rebecca wrote:
and they've got a whole new line of vanilla products if you like that.
Vanilla is my favourite scent. I'd better check them out!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Silwen
Posted: Fri 29 May , 2009 7:50 am
DomiKNITrix

I had a smell fo the new vanilla products and wasn't impressed even though that is my favourite scent. :neutral: Maybe it all smells better outside the shop and on skin though.

I was also interested in oatfix and may still get it one day if it stays. I don't like how tough the texture is, so I will get my favourite Catastrophe instead once I finish the fifth black pot and can get a free mask. :D Actually, I might do that today.

Abso-knitting-lutely! The knitting blog.

Profile Quote
Amrunelen
Posted: Fri 29 May , 2009 11:41 am
wencherific

Tough? Mmmm...the stuff I saw in the store here was quite gloopy. Bits of oat in it of course, but she had gave a bit to try on my hands and it was pretty soft.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Silwen
Posted: Fri 29 May , 2009 3:51 pm
DomiKNITrix

I got a sample of it today since they didn't get their delivery of masks at all this time. :D So I have had a chance to try Oatfix and even though it was very tough in the shop and a little hard to put on my skin because of that, it got better on my skin because it warmed up that way after a bit. It also smells very nice and sweet - like porridge, of course. ;) I quite like it actually and would say it is worth a purchase.

Profile Quote
Silwen
Posted: Wed 17 Jun , 2009 8:39 am
DomiKNITrix

So I have a job interview with Lush on friday. :D We have to make a hat that reflects our personality and I am gonig to finish it up today. If only they knew how long I have been wanting to make hats! :cool:

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Wed 17 Jun , 2009 10:28 am
Aspiring to heresy

Ooh, good luck!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Rebecca
Posted: Wed 17 Jun , 2009 11:48 am

Good luck. I think being in love with Lush will help you a lot. :D Knowing what the different ingredients are good for and stuff like that is something they'll be training you on anyway (the UK website is really helpful, you could click on most ingredients and a box pops up with more information). The fact that I knew a lot about the products definitely helped me out a lot. :)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Silwen
Posted: Wed 17 Jun , 2009 7:44 pm
DomiKNITrix

Here's a clickable thumbnail of the pillbox hat I made. (Here is a frontal.) I call it my writer's hat because it contains all a writer needs: a quill (the official LOTR quill, btw ;) ) and scrolls, and you can even take all of it out when the muse possesses you. There is even an example of my writing printed around the hat's body.

[ img ]

It is classy, playful, practical - like me - and eco-friendly too because it has been made out of recycled material or things I have had for a long time and didn't want to throw away. I didn't buy any of the material at all. I also matched the colours to the black and blue clotehs I will be wearing that day.

It was lots of fun making this hat, so maybe one day I'll have suitable material to make one to wear often.

Profile Quote
Berhael
Posted: Wed 17 Jun , 2009 8:14 pm
Milk and kisses

That's beautiful, Silwen! :Q Best of luck for the interview! :horse:

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Posted: Wed 17 Jun , 2009 8:59 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

Yes, good luck Sil.
I still rate their deodorant powders. I find them far more effective, long lasting and pleasanter than roll on products. The one I'm using at the moment is the Greench which smells of thyme (and possibly a bit of mint too.)
I never remember which soap I'm using because there's no label to remind me but the last couple didn't lather very well. It doesn't bother me too much and I'm still happy to experiment. I currently use I Love Juicy shampoo and it smells nice enough. I shave with Prince and Mrs Tosh will only use Flying Fox shower gel since first trying it.

My cat is still obsessed by Lush.

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 84 of 86  [ 1717 posts ]
Return to “The Turf” | Jump to page « 182 83 84 85 86 »
Jump to: