The Last Homely Site on the Web

Tea: The Fancy Caffeine or The Mystery of the Leaves

Post Reply   Page 7 of 7  [ 125 posts ]
Jump to page « 13 4 5 6 7
tolkienpurist
Post subject: Re: Tea: The Fancy Caffeine or The Mystery of the Leaves
Posted: Tue 26 May , 2009 12:14 am
Unlabeled

Tosh, I generally agree with you. Looseleaf teas are often (usually) better quality, and in brewing looseleaf tea, you have much more control over the brewing process. That's how I prefer to drink it. But during the morning rush, a fairly good quality teabag (Mighty Leaf isn't bad, but I like Lupicia which I think is slightly fancier/higher grade) is much more convenient. I don't have the time most mornings to brew a carefully crafted pot of looseleaf tea, unfortunately.

I do think that someone who only drinks teabag tea is likely to miss out on much of the tea world has to offer. It'd be like drinking only boxed wine + two-buck chuck + maybe the occasional decent $10 bottle, and never experiencing the richness of the remainder of the wine world. But for some people, that works perfectly fine...

Profile Quote
Berhael
Posted: Tue 26 May , 2009 6:48 am
Milk and kisses

Oh yeah, a properly brewed pot of loose leaf tea has nothing to do with a quick cuppa. Unfortunately I only have time for mugs and teabags, especially since my morning mug of tea is usually my only daily dose of caffeine, so I need it to be both strong and quickly prepared. But if I'm at a fancy tea shop I will of course prefer the proper version.

I usually have (lots of) semi-skimmed milk with my tea, alternating with full-fat if it's fairly strong. I couldn't have skimmed either.

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Wed 27 May , 2009 2:05 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

I agree with Ber. A nicely brewed pot of tea with leaves (and warming the pot and the mugs and all of that) is wonderful! I just don't usually have the time to do it "properly."

I still like cream over milk in my tea. :P

And I hate coffee, but I can't see how it's any different than putting cream in your coffee. I don't put cream (or milk) in a milder tea, like green or white tea, and I definitely wouldn't put it in an herbal "tea." The cream is for a strong black tea. I use milk in a spiced chai.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Amrunelen
Posted: Thu 28 May , 2009 8:30 pm
wencherific

Ooooooh tea....the only tea I may consider putting cream in is Earl Grey. I don't prefer the taste of cream in most teas over milk, though I do use a lot of milk (2%).

As for loose leaf vs. tea bags....well, I've had both and don't really prefer either way. I wasn't overly impressed by the loose leaf teas I had in the Mackintosh Willow Tea Rooms here in Glasgow....proper pot with tea leaves floating in it, strainer sititng on cup to pour it through, and little bowl to put the strainer in after. And they had sugar cubes....I prefer using loose sugar over lumps of sugar. :P

TP, I have had the sweet and spicey tea with milk as well....which way I prefer it, milk or not, depends on what kind of mood I'm in. ;) Sometimes I like the extra creamyness that milk adds, but then it can be drank without as well. I like it both ways, really.

Coffee I just can't do with milk unless half of the mug is milk and half coffee....it doesn't cut the bitterness/acidity enough for me so I've adopted the habit of low fat regular coffeemate from my uni roomate...at least when it comes to a regular cup o' coffee. I also enjoy some flavored creamers. We once used coffeemate in place of cream in a potato and leek soup recipe for lacking of proper heavy cream and it worked out quite well. ;) Less fat too. :blackeye:

Have any of the brits by chance ever had Whittards Rose tea? It's rose with a hint of mango or something....sounded rather intriguing. And I've been on a bit of a rose binge lately. I've been thinking of getting a few boxes from Whittards to take home since I've just discovered it's less expensive than I expected it to be.

[ img ]

"Morning has broken and I have felt a presence that disturbs
me with the joy of elevated thoughts; a sense sublime of
something far more deeply interfused, whose dwelling is the
light of setting suns, and the round ocean and the living air,
and the blue sky, and in the mind of man; a motion and a
spirit, that impels." -Wordsworth

Profile Quote
tolkienpurist
Posted: Mon 01 Jun , 2009 4:18 pm
Unlabeled

Rose with a hint of mango - let me know if that's any good, and if so I'll grab some on my way out of London in August.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 7 of 7  [ 125 posts ]
Return to “The Turf” | Jump to page « 13 4 5 6 7
Jump to: