36% [ 10 ]
Undecided

14% [ 4 ]
Total votes: 28
LalaithUrwen
Post subject: Re: Emigrated: My First Halloween
Posted: Sat 29 Oct , 2011 2:29 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

The costume is very good! It looks like you had a great time. :)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject: Re: Emigrated: My First Halloween
Posted: Mon 31 Oct , 2011 1:28 pm

Interesting costume. :)

Profile Quote
Silwen
Post subject: Re: Emigrated: So Where's the Perfect Flat?
Posted: Thu 03 Nov , 2011 7:28 pm
DomiKNITrix

This morning I saw that the girl from the wonderful large and newly refurbished ground floor flat is moving out. I immediately contacted the letting agent to see if the place was still available. Sadly not. :( I wanted to have it as soon as they refurbished it and knocked two flats together into one. It is a really nice place. I was surprised by how upset I was after the news - I already couldn't have it some time ago because it was too expensive and now it is gone again (and still far too expensive).

Well, at least the agent was able to tell me that my next-door neighbour is going to be moving out soon and I arranged a viewing. Next week I will have a look and see what I think of it. Mark already knows it because he had to move in briefly when his flat was being fixed. The place is bigger than ours and has two rooms and a hallway. Mark said I won't like the kitchen (and it has no windows). I imagine it won't be as much to my liking as I hope, but it is very difficult to find an affordable place in the city centre. I haven't even asked how much the neighbouring flat will cost in rent. :uhoh: I really feel like moving to a larger place. Living in just one room cramped with all our stuff is getting too difficult.

Abso-knitting-lutely! The knitting blog.

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Fri 04 Nov , 2011 12:21 am
Aspiring to heresy

Could you find something bigger and affordable a little farther away from the centre?

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
Silwen
Posted: Fri 04 Nov , 2011 5:23 pm
DomiKNITrix

Sometimes there are good places, but there hasn't been for a while. I still want to be within walking distance of work, which is what makes it a little harder to find a good place. But: on Tuesday I will see the next-door flat and I am hoping it is affordable. The agent said the landlord doesn't know what to do with it, so that sounds promising. Maybe I can negotiate.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Sat 05 Nov , 2011 12:02 am

I hope so, Silwen!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Silwen
Posted: Tue 08 Nov , 2011 9:05 pm
DomiKNITrix

Okay, I got to see the next-door flat today and on the whole it would be an improvement. The bedroom and living room are very good and I really like them. Also, they are very spaceous, which is exactly what we need. The kitchen is okay, though there is no window. However, we can finally have a washing machine! Big plus. The bathroom was horrendous though and it won't be changed much. They will repaint and wallpaper it, but there is no shower and they won't put one in unless we are willing to pay a whole lot more in rent than I think is reasonable. If they refurbish the bathroom, they would do the kitchen too, but not one without the other. :scratch: The rent (no refurbishment) is already at the very top of our budget so I am negotiating a little, hoping to get it down a bit. However, even if they want to stick with the amount they told me, we would accept. Still, they don't need toknow that. :P

Really, it is the two rooms that make me want the place. If they weren't right, I would never move in. I really do hate that bathroom! So much so that I don't even remember details about it; for instance, I have no idea where the toilet and sink are in it - I was so distracted by the bad walls and the horrible tub and lack of shower.

A plus is that we won't have far to move, just from door to door. We are still on the same storey, in the same house, with the same distance to work (which means I can keep coming home for lunch). We are as central as we are ever going to get for our money. Tomorrow I may know more about the rent.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Wed 09 Nov , 2011 3:16 am

Well, just a quick google shows that there are options for converting that tub to a shower on your own with minimal effort and invasiveness. :) Maybe that will be helpful!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Silwen
Posted: Wed 09 Nov , 2011 7:00 am
DomiKNITrix

I've had a quick look, but couldn't find anything that we would be allowed to do. We are not allowed to make any changes whatsoever, so even replacing the taps with a shower mixer tap is probably impossible though that's what I would have wanted to do.

We'll see. I have asked to see the flat again, particularly because of the bathroom as I can't even remember where things were in it. I was too shocked about the state of the room to pay much attention!

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Wed 09 Nov , 2011 11:02 am
Aspiring to heresy

Make sure you're at peace with the state of the bathroom before you sign anything - remember you have to live with it for at least a year. Is it worth the extra space?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Wed 09 Nov , 2011 1:53 pm

It seemed like there were options that you just connected to the faucet. Besides, couldn't you change it (as long as it wasn't permanent), and then just change it back when you leave?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
vison
Posted: Wed 09 Nov , 2011 3:50 pm
Best friends forever

The problem with using a shower-type attachment to the faucet is that there is obviously no shower curtain and the walls are almost certainly not waterproof around the tub. Is it a freestanding tub or is it, like most tubs, against at least one wall?

You can shower carefully whilst sitting down, people do it all the time, but it's not the same, that's for sure. That would mean using an attachment, IF you can get it to attach to the faucet, and that's not a certainty either. Most faucets aren't threaded to take an attachment.

Living on Earth is expensive,
but it does include a free trip
around the sun every year.

Profile Quote
Silwen
Posted: Wed 09 Nov , 2011 9:33 pm
DomiKNITrix

We haven't got a proper shower at the moment either, but we do have a shower mixer tap so a hose and showerhead are actually connected to the pipes. We have no shower curtain so we are used to that. The current tennants have a push-on shower hose with rubber tap attachments - looks horrible and will probably be difficult to replace with something similar because the taps are those old-fashioned ones that are wider at the opening.

I just can't decide if the rest of the place is worth the hastle with the bathroom. It probably is and everyone in the area I've spoken to has said I should go for it because I won't find a better place for that kind of money and so much space, which is definitely true. I can't make any temporary changes either and then change things back before moving out because we have inspections every 6 months, as is the custom here. (And a very annoying one too. In fact, we only just had one today.) So it is a question of either accepting the flat as it is without the chance to make improvements of our own, or stay where we are without another realistic chance to find anything in the city centre, which is crucial.

Tomorrow I will see the flat again and have a proper look at the bathroom and measure things out.

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Wed 09 Nov , 2011 11:12 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Did anyone notice that Silwen made a concealed Dr. Who reference in that post? :cool:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
vison
Posted: Thu 10 Nov , 2011 12:40 am
Best friends forever

"temporary changes"? So, are you allowed to put toilet paper in the toilet paper dispenser? How can attaching a rubber hose to a faucet be any change at all?

Living on Earth is expensive,
but it does include a free trip
around the sun every year.

Profile Quote
Silwen
Posted: Thu 10 Nov , 2011 5:28 pm
DomiKNITrix

Right, I've seen the flat again and the bathroom isn't as bad as I remembered. :scratch: Odd. I would take it! The trouble now is: I was let go from my job today. What timing...

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Post subject: Re: Emigrated: A new flat, but no job?
Posted: Thu 10 Nov , 2011 8:55 pm

:( That really does just plain suck.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Thu 10 Nov , 2011 9:03 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Arrrghh! Sorry to hear that, Silwen - I know how that feels.

What now?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Silwen
Posted: Thu 10 Nov , 2011 9:39 pm
DomiKNITrix

Not sure. We will stay in our cosy little flat (luckily it is a lovely flat, in my opinion, just a bit too small) and I will take my time finding something good. There isn't much of a rush and, really, we are better off at the moment than last time I was out of work. This job paid so well that I was able to save up much more and I hadn't actually spent much even though I would have been able to. So it's okay.

I don't feel as bad about the situation as I would expect. In a way I am looking forward to having time to do more knitting, spinning, swimming, reading and all the rest I like to do. The downside is knowing I will need a job again at some point. I have turned the other flat down for good now. It is too much of a risk and I wouldn't feel comfortable having a great flat but no money to go out once in a while. If we took the new flat, we would only be able to pay the bills and buy a bit of food and that's all. I don't want to live like that.

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Fri 11 Nov , 2011 3:17 pm

That's too bad about the job, Silwen. :hug:

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 24 of 27  [ 526 posts ]
Return to “The Turf” | Jump to page « 122 23 24 25 26 27 »
Jump to: