Undecided

14% [ 4 ]
Total votes: 28
Crucifer
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 06 Jun , 2008 10:19 pm
A song outlasts a dynasty.

Quote:
my personal, number one choice would be Ireland.
Good choice!

Hmmm... Atm, Ireland is a great place to be. It's Europe, but it's separate, because it's so far out. It has easy access to London (the best city in the world ;) ) and has a great cultural scene. People in general are friendly and accepting of others. The Health system is a bit of a joke, and schools in rural areas tend to be shockingly underfunded, but in general, it's a good place to be.

And everyone loves us! :D

Sleep is a death; Oh, make me try by sleeping what it is to die.

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 06 Jun , 2008 10:46 pm
Aspiring to heresy

What's wrong with the Irish Health system?

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
Lord_Morningstar
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 07 Jun , 2008 4:49 am

Crucifer wrote:
Quote:
my personal, number one choice would be Ireland.
Good choice!

Hmmm... Atm, Ireland is a great place to be. It's Europe, but it's separate, because it's so far out. It has easy access to London (the best city in the world ;) ) and has a great cultural scene. People in general are friendly and accepting of others. The Health system is a bit of a joke, and schools in rural areas tend to be shockingly underfunded, but in general, it's a good place to be.

And everyone loves us! :D
Were I to emigate to Europe, I'd probably end up in southern Britain or Ireland. My only concern would be the climate, and for Ireland, the issue of jobs.

The climate issue would be far worse if global warming melted the Greenland Ice Cap and shut down the Gulf Stream, as Al Gore suggested in his film, so I might want to play it safe in case he's actually right...

[Space for Rent]

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 07 Jun , 2008 7:59 am
Milk and kisses

Silwen wrote:
Ber, I imagine that Japan is very different. What is it that makes you feel at home in such a far country with an entirely different culture?
I don't know, it just felt comfortable. :) Safe and clean, different enough to be interesting but with enough similarities to not be totally alien. It was funny because it reminded me of Spain in more aspects than Britain (attitude to food, urban planning...). And I suppose that Japanese modern urban culture and design attracts the geeky urbanite in me. :)

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
TheMary
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 07 Jun , 2008 8:22 am
I took the stars from my eyes, and then I made a map, And knew that somehow I could find my way back; Then I heard your heart beating, you were in the darkness too - So I stayed in the darkness with you

Ax wrote:
Besides, with the US, one can always effectively emigrate by moving to CA...:Wink:
You joke but I did just this and would NEVER do it again. In fact I'm moving back to the mid-west because California is such crap. NoCal was wonderful when I went for a visit but SoCal is terrible, unless you're rich! :(

Having said that you'll never know unless you try! Good luck Sil I hope you have yourself an adventure of Baggins size proportions! Minus dragons, Ringwraiths, and Mount Doom! :D

Lay down
Your sweet and weary head
Night is falling
You’ve come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore

Why do you weep?
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see
All of your fears will pass away
Safe in my arms
You're only sleeping

Profile Quote
Silwen
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 07 Jun , 2008 11:19 am
DomiKNITrix

TheMary wrote:
Having said that you'll never know unless you try! Good luck Sil I hope you have yourself an adventure of Baggins size proportions! Minus dragons, Ringwraiths, and Mount Doom! :D
Thanks, TheMary! I shall do my best to stumble blindly into the adventure in true Baggins fashion. :D (Well, as blindly as seems reasonable anyways.)

Abso-knitting-lutely! The knitting blog.

Profile Quote
Lord_Morningstar
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 07 Jun , 2008 11:35 am

Berhael wrote:
Silwen wrote:
Ber, I imagine that Japan is very different. What is it that makes you feel at home in such a far country with an entirely different culture?
I don't know, it just felt comfortable. :) Safe and clean, different enough to be interesting but with enough similarities to not be totally alien. It was funny because it reminded me of Spain in more aspects than Britain (attitude to food, urban planning...). And I suppose that Japanese modern urban culture and design attracts the geeky urbanite in me. :)
I enjoyed visiting Japan, but coming from one of the world's most sparsely-populated countries I'd never cope with the sheer numbers of people. The language thing is a problem as well (I’ve limited my options to English-speaking countries so far).

Another thing –

The Europeans on this thread seem more willing to immigrate than the Americans, Australians and others. That makes sense, given that moving around the E.U. is fairly easy for a European citizen, and that the countries are small and close together. Also, many, if not most Europeans would live within half a day’s trip by car or train from a national border, so international travel is not as big a thing as it is for those of us in North America and Oceania.

North Americans can still drive over national borders, although the size of the U.S. and Canada make travelling to another country a much bigger thing. And for those of us in the far-flung outposts of western civilization in the antipodes, international travel is a very big thing indeed. I could get in my car and drive north for two solid days without even leaving my home state, and an overseas trip for an Australian or New Zealander inevitably involves a three or four hour plane trip. This, combined with the fact that our immediate neighbours aren’t high on people’s lists of places to go and live (I’ve set to see Indonesia, Papua New Guinea or Fiji mentioned in this thread) makes us fairly happy to stay home or, at most, move between Australia and New Zealand.

[Space for Rent]

Profile Quote
Silwen
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 07 Jun , 2008 11:44 am
DomiKNITrix

I wonder if it also has to do with Europeans being more aware of there being more "out there". This could be simply due to the fact that we are surrounded by lots of countries and know it since they are there and hard to ignore. An American may not think about it that much since his/her country is so vast and rather isolated in comparison. :scratch:

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 07 Jun , 2008 2:34 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

Well, I don't think it's a lack of awareness of what's out there; it's just a size issue, as you mentioned. I am about 7 hours away from the next country, and that is only because I am in a northern border state. If I lived in Florida or a southern state, we'd be talking days from the next nearest country.

I know it's not exactly the same, but your countries are the size of our states. Granted, we all (more or less ;) ) speak English in every state, but they are quite different from each other, particularly if you go about 3-4 states away from your own.

Now, Freddy has to translate for me on a regular basis, though. There are even accent differences between where I grew up (Cleveland) and here (Dayton). They will interview someone on TV, and I will look at him like, "What did that guy just say?" And he, since he understands hillbilly quite well (on the job experience), can translate for me. :D

Seriously.

Some guy awhile back said, "Purtner." :scratch: He was able to translate for me: pretty near.

:Q

Anyway, as LordM says, international travel for us is usually either a very long car drive or a long, expensive airplane ride.

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Crucifer
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 07 Jun , 2008 5:16 pm
A song outlasts a dynasty.

Quote:
What's wrong with the Irish Health system?
Come live here for a year and you'll know. Waiting lists of years for transplants, old People dying on trolleys in corridors because there aren't enough beds etc.

Sleep is a death; Oh, make me try by sleeping what it is to die.

Profile Quote
Lurker
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 07 Jun , 2008 6:18 pm

I'm Canadian and I voted Yes. :D

I love adventure and love travelling as well. (It's the waiting at the airport that I hate. :D ) Anyways, I don't know if moving from a very fast paced city like Toronto to a "suburban business community" in Calgary would count in the thread but there are a lot of differences. In Toronto, I work in a concrete jungle, here in Calgary I work in a sort of Industrial Park type area. (The CN railway is just right behind the office. Princess, my wife would often say if you need to move back to TO just hop on the cargo train. Bye!!! Bye!!! ;) ). I walk to work here and it's not too busy. I still haven't adjusted after living here for almost two years. I find it so weird, not used to seeing public transpo all the time or rush hour. :P

Anyways, I worked in Hong Kong for a month, and I just loved it. It is similar to Toronto, the public transport was good, some people speak English, the food is good, the people are friendly, lots of entertainment and I don't mind the small living accomodations at all. It's similar to Vancouver, just drive a few minutes to the beach or the mountains, and who can forget Ocean Park, my fave! I was offered a job and would have stayed there for two years but I had to consider Princess (my fiance at that time) feelings whether or not she wants to move. So I moved back. Then I was offered a job in NYC, Princess said yes to that but the late nights and crazy hours I keep made us decide this not the life for us if we want to stay "married" something has to be given up. Plus the fact, Princess didn't have a job, the noise, too many people and the news made her a bit wary and depressed in NYC. Princess lived most of her life in a small town in Prince Edward Island so moving to Toronto to study engineering was a already a major life change for her. So after two weeks we moved back to Toronto.

I think emigrating is splendid idea if you are still in your 20's and early 30's, single or have a spouse who have the same adventurous spirit, no kids, and you are still finding your way in the world. If I had the patience and passion for teaching, teaching ESL in a foriegn country would have been a great idea for a year or so....unfortunately.

Given a chance again, I would probably emigrate to Hong Kong or Singapore. I love Asia, it's not fast-pace and it's a culture very different to mine. I remember when I was still a grad student a few of my law school classmates were trying to get into firms in countries like Australia. I was contemplating about it but never had the drive to actually go and send my paperwork. I know one whom I had the opportunity to talk to and she said she loves it (Melbourne). My uncle who is in Sydney was encouraging me to do it but like I said I didn't have the drive at that time....oh well.

Anyways, I just would like to say Good Luck, Silwen! I support you all the way!!!

Caution...You are entering the NO SPIN ZONE.

Profile Quote
Dawnnamira
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 08 Jun , 2008 2:39 am

At one point in my life, my mother and I were going to move to Papua New Guinea because we fit in the most with the people we've known from there.

Mom abandoned the idea because she hates moving, but I would still move there in a heartbeat.

So, I guess my answer really should have been a yes. :Wooper:

I'd move anywhere there was a guarantee of a job and a roof over my head really.

How strange it is to be anything at all

Profile Quote
Silwen
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 08 Jun , 2008 10:52 am
DomiKNITrix

Thank you, Lurker! I can always do with the support. Unlike you I am not sure if I actually like traveling in general. I think it depends on how much time that will take - I have no patience the older I get. ;) I like airports though (even when I am just picking someone up; I think it's the holiday feel of the place for me) and don't mind the waiting... Just my last time at an airport wasn't so great because I was so early when I got to the gate and there were no toilets. :help:
Dawnnamira wrote:
At one point in my life, my mother and I were going to move to Papua New Guinea because we fit in the most with the people we've known from there.

Mom abandoned the idea because she hates moving, but I would still move there in a heartbeat.

So, I guess my answer really should have been a yes. :Wooper:

I'd move anywhere there was a guarantee of a job and a roof over my head really.
Dawn, Papua New Guinea is a very unique destination! I don't know anything about the country or its people, really. It did feature in a novel I read a bit ago. ;) What are the people like that you referred to?

Yes, having a job and a place to stay is probably the most important thing at first. I never thought of emigrating any sooner because I had no idea how to afford a place at the start since finding a job from abroad wouldn't be a piece of cake either. I think if it weren't for the lucky circumstance of me knowing someone there, I wouldn't endeavor to move.

Profile Quote
TWT
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 08 Jun , 2008 1:52 pm
Wembley bound

This is the first thread in a long time where I think I read every post. Interesting observations.

I moved with my family to Honduras, Central America when I was 10 and spent the better part of 7 years there. We returned to Canada every year for a couple months. I dislked it greatly there. Having grown up in the great white north I never adjusted to the climate. I greatly dislike the tropics. As I always say, when its cold you can always put more on, but when its hot there's only so much you can take off.

I live in Toronto, Canada. I'm actually moving down to the beaches this month. Not too far from where Jude's family lived, I remember having pizza there after LOTR theater production we went to see. :D I'll be a 5 min walk from the beach and the area is glorious! I love Toronto. Its a beautiful city, very clean, people are exceptionally polite. Lots of work, our healthcare system has always been very good to me, our transit system is decent at the very worst of times.

But the spirit of adventure does take me. I broke up with my girlfriend last weekend and am still pretty torn up about it. I would have married that girl and given her a world of love, but I guess it wasn't meant to be. Now with nothing tying me down perhaps I will travel. Being a citizen of a commonwealth country it would be easier for me to get into the UK. I also dream of living in Northern France where my family is originally from before they immigrated to Canada in the 1600s (I'm 10th generation here). Wherever the wind blows is probably where I'll end up. I'll live another year here in Toronto no doubt, save up some money and then hopefully travel.

So yes, I would emigrate in a heartbeat. Not because I want to run away, but because I just want to run. I'm in a beautiful country but I need change.

I actually was offered a place up in Iqaluit, Nunavit. That's up on Baffin Island in Canada's far far north. Not sure if its inside the Arctic Circle or not, but I'm considereing that option as well. Anywhere its cold suits me just fine. I love the cold weather!!!

Profile Quote
TWT
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 08 Jun , 2008 1:53 pm
Wembley bound

W00t! My first post in a while and its a DP! :D

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 08 Jun , 2008 2:09 pm
Aspiring to heresy

W000t! You're moving to the Beach(es :D ) That's like my favourite area of Toronto! Enjoy your time there!!!

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
TWT
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 08 Jun , 2008 2:33 pm
Wembley bound

I know they had that rediculous debate about should it be called "the Beach" or "the Beaches", I just call it what its always been called, the Beaches. Since there are, after all, numerous beaches... :D

I plan on enjoying it! My uncle has a house there (which is where I got dropped off after said pizza night) which has a private apt. which will now be mine. :) Its rather small, but it has a great dingy first apt. feel to it. :D

Profile Quote
Lurker
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 08 Jun , 2008 3:10 pm

TWT,
You're moving to The Beaches!!! :love: I love that part of Toronto. Princess used to rent an apartment in that part of TO, around the Queen and Lee area. Man, I think all of TO's yuppies have moved there in the 90s, it's the hippest place to live now. (Well, my other friends said No, it's Yonge and Eglinton or Yonge/Sheppard. Nah! :P It's still The Beaches for me.) I don't know if I can afford the price tag, though. Houses are selling at 500,000 and up! :Q We were looking at houses in the Upper Beaches but can't afford it. Oh well... I haven't been to the Toronto Jazz Festival for two years now. That's why I love that area. I envy you, except for the noise, our babies won't like that. :blackeye:

You had a chance to live in Nunavut! :love: Man, if only my family would say Yes to that move, even for a year I will do it. Like you, I dislike the tropics, so I can't live in the Carribbean. I love the cold weather minus the snowstorm which we frequently have here in Calgary. Yes, I hate shovelling. The snow is nice when it's still "fresh" but once it accumulates and hardens it is so annoying.

Thank god the Dead Things er Red Wings won the Stanley. (Where that come from? ;))

Caution...You are entering the NO SPIN ZONE.

Profile Quote
Nienor SharkAttack
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 08 Jun , 2008 3:43 pm

Quote:
Would you emigrate?
Well, frankly, no. :)

I love travelling. And there are tons of places I want to see. But I want to return as well. This is Home. :)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
TWT
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 08 Jun , 2008 4:09 pm
Wembley bound

Lurker! You bet the Beaches is the hippest place! :D Actually the hippiest place as well. I think everyone who's a bit odd, as in those who don't fit into rugular society live there. Its a very laid back place. I'll be a few streets farther East still of Lee, Willow st. to be exact, its right before Victoria Park ave. And just above Queen as well.

It does tend to be an expensive area. I'll be paying an excellent $450/month . Like I said, it is rather small, but I'm getting a good deal cause its my uncle's place.

Too be honest I didn't really have a preference this year for the Stanley Cup. I've been a Red Wings fan longer than I've been a Leafs fan but I wouldn't have minded to see the Pens win. I was really hoping for a game 7. Shame to win the cup on away ice.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 27  [ 526 posts ]
Return to “The Turf” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 527 »
Jump to: