Yes

50% [ 14 ]
No

36% [ 10 ]
Undecided

14% [ 4 ]
Total votes: 28
Silwen
Post subject: Re: Emigrated: Finally a Good Job!
Posted: Sat 23 Jul , 2011 4:50 am
DomiKNITrix

Well, a few weeks ago I finished the translation assignment I mentioned above. The author did not enlighten me about that huge quote that made no sense to me so I did my best to translate it, and it actually sounds sensible now.

However, the author sent me a very arrogant and insulting email yesterday, saying my translation was "brimming with mistakes" and that I obviously didn't understand anything and had no idea about the basics of philosophy (I told him, by the way, before starting the assignment that my area of expertise was literature, not philosophy; the text covers both). I am shocked and have no idea how my translation can possibly be so utterly wrong! I don't think it is possible at all. Of course there may be one or two mistakes, but I did tell him from the start that I would incorporate any improvements if necessary. I am now waiting to get the list of my supposed errors so I can actually comment on them. It may take weeks till I receive it though.

I now regret having put so much time and effort into it all, even doing the research he was too lazy to do himself and reading up on philosphical concepts so I'd get them right. Obviously a waste of time. I am wondering whether he is simply trying to wriggle out of paying the rest of my fee.

EDIT: I found someone I believe was his translator before (may still be). I just generally asked her if she would recommend working with him and what it was like for her. I certainly didn't mention anything about my issues with him, of course.

Abso-knitting-lutely! The knitting blog.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Post subject: Re: Emigrated: Need cheering up.
Posted: Sat 23 Jul , 2011 12:03 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

:( That was my first thought, too--that he's trying to get out of paying you what you're owed. He sounds like a jerk. :x

[ img ]

Profile Quote
vison
Posted: Sat 23 Jul , 2011 4:18 pm
Best friends forever

What did the other translator say?

Living on Earth is expensive,
but it does include a free trip
around the sun every year.

Profile Quote
Silwen
Posted: Sat 23 Jul , 2011 4:47 pm
DomiKNITrix

No answer from the other translator yet, but I'll let you know what she says.

I've been going through some forums for translators and it seems to happen more and more frequently that clients claim the work is supposedly of terrible quality just so they have a reason not to pay. There isn't really much you can do if that's the course they take. Then again, no one has ever been successfully sued for a bad translation either, simply because that's hard to prove. Sadly, I don't have lawyers among my friends who could simply put a little pressure on him if worse comes to worst. That would be fun. :D But we'll see what he comes up with next. Certainly nothing will happen this weekend, I assume, and who knows if he will reply at all next week. I am simply appalled by his reaction.

Luckily, I have found some general terms and conditions for translations that I can send him to prove he has to pay and I cannot be blamed for the poor quality of his original text or wrongly used terms since he did not supply them.

Okay, I hope I can finally stop thinking so much about it, but it does weigh on my mind and influence my mood. I spent the entire day outside with friends to keep busy and I really enjoyed it. Yesterday I still felt like crying about the whole thing.

Profile Quote
Silwen
Posted: Thu 28 Jul , 2011 4:02 pm
DomiKNITrix

Well, still no answer from the lady, but also no news from the client either. I noticed that he has actually paid me. In fact, he paid me on the very day I received his email. :shrug: Anyway, at least I don't have to worry about getting paid since that's settled.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Fri 29 Jul , 2011 2:13 am

That's all very strange, Silwen. And I can understand you feeling at a loss about the whole thing.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Silwen
Posted: Sun 31 Jul , 2011 11:42 am
DomiKNITrix

No news about this guy, but tomorrow is my first day at the new job. Well, it's not my official first day, but I have to go in to learn the ropes before I start so I have a half day tomorrow and another on Wednesday for now. :D

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Sun 31 Jul , 2011 9:38 pm

Well, then, just move on, and enjoy the new job! I hope it goes well! :cheerleader:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Tue 02 Aug , 2011 1:26 pm

It's good you got paid, but annoying that he wasn't happy! I don't see how he can complain, though, since he didn't give you requested info.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Tue 02 Aug , 2011 2:20 pm

And how did your first (but not really first) day go?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Silwen
Posted: Tue 02 Aug , 2011 3:26 pm
DomiKNITrix

The first day went very well. They quizzed me so much that they probably know me better than I know myself. :lol: I got to do some actual work to and helped organise a trip to Manchester for a group. I'll be continuing that tomorrow. The people are nice and laid back and the work so far didn't seem like it was hard.

This month I will be working for them part-time before I start officially on the 30th. That's fine by me: I get to make a little money, but I have lots of spare time too. :) Oh and I have a little jewellery and knitting notions business on the side now too. ;)

Profile Quote
Silwen
Post subject: Re: Emigrated: Starting the new job
Posted: Thu 25 Aug , 2011 11:58 am
DomiKNITrix

Next Tuesday I start my new job properly. I spent five half days working there already in the past few weeks and the job seems really easy and stressless. Apparently, it will get busier with phone calls though, which I dread thanks to my last job. However, it looks like I will only be dealing with communication via email for a start while writing up tour itineraries and such. Love that! :D

I've had the feeling I need to go out and do stuff while I can before work begins. Last weekend I went to Fibre Fest, a festival all about wool-related crafts and such. For those who are interested in that sort of thing, here is my report with pics.

Last edited by Silwen on Thu 25 Aug , 2011 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Thu 25 Aug , 2011 2:12 pm

Shearing with the sheep tied to a stick??? That's interesting. It might be worthwhile for us to look into that technique for our more crazy sheep, the ones that don't stop struggling for the entire shear experience. :help:

Profile Quote
Silwen
Posted: Thu 25 Aug , 2011 7:22 pm
DomiKNITrix

It might be very useful then, I imagine. I would have liked to see a more common shearing process, but there you go. Maybe I will have better luck next time. I very much hope there will be a next time at other similar festivals because I thoroughly enjoyed it even though I was really tired the next few days. It was most definitely worth it.

Now that I have been here in the UK for 2 1/2 years, I expect I will be visiting Germany sometime next year. There is still stuff to pick up and people who would probably like to see me again. I am not looking forward to seeing my family though. The whole journey will be a bit more difficult and time consuming because I will have to move from one place to another to see only the most important people. It looks like I will have to arrive at one airport, but actually depart from another altogether as well. Shoul be interesting. :uhoh:

Profile Quote
Silwen
Posted: Thu 25 Aug , 2011 8:31 pm
DomiKNITrix

Maria, I was just told that it wasn't actually a sheep they were shearing after all. Instead it was an alpaca and this seems to be a common way of shearing them, which I didn't know. Guess it would work for sheep too. They put a sandbag on the alpaca's neck to keep it down and it didn't seem to mind.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Fri 26 Aug , 2011 2:14 am

The Fibre Fest looked like fun! We have something similar here. I've never been, but my parents have taken the girls. Sarah is pretty good at felting.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Silwen
Posted: Fri 26 Aug , 2011 7:59 am
DomiKNITrix

What does she make? At Fibre Fest there was a guy, Jamie someone or other, who had a stall to himself. He made all sorts of little felted creatures and stones.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Fri 26 Aug , 2011 12:26 pm

She makes creatures, mostly, but she also makes bookmarks and murals. (I'm not sure what else to call them. She does this with clay, too. They are almost like bas relief scenes.)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Silwen
Posted: Fri 26 Aug , 2011 2:02 pm
DomiKNITrix

That sounds lovely! You guys must be running out of space for all her art work by now.

At the festival there was a lady who used wool fibres to make "paintings". She would put thin layers of her chosen colours on a canvas and she made landscapes and portraits that way. Somehow I can't find an image for that sort of painting though there are lots of pictures made of thick layers instead. Her work was very fine and looked like detailed chalk drawings from a distance.

EDIT: Made my first youtibe video. :D

Profile Quote
Silwen
Posted: Fri 30 Sep , 2011 6:44 pm
DomiKNITrix

So Mark has asked me if I would prefer to choose an engagement ring myself or if I'd want it to be a surprise. :whistle: No proposal yet, this was just a matter-of-fact question - but I am excited. :D

And while Mark is now watching The Hangover, I'd like to have some suggestions for a bachelorette party, please. ;) I know it is very early (most likely years too early), but I like planning ahead for the good stuff. What I have come up with so far is a day at the wonderful spa we have here in Bath (there will probably just be 3 friends, I suppose, so it won't break the bank). I am not the party type and don't get drunk, so the typical hen nights I have witnessed around town are not my thing. I'm curious what you think!

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 22 of 27  [ 526 posts ]
Return to “The Turf” | Jump to page « 120 21 22 23 2427 »
Jump to: