board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Doctor Who

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Post subject: Doctor Who
Posted: Wed 03 Sep , 2008 7:37 pm

Is David Tennant both Doctor # 10 and Doctor # 11?

Pro: He used the regeneration energy. He can only do that 12 times, which is why he regenerates 12 times. He used it. He didn't change his shape but he used it. His hand grew into a human doctor instead.

Con: He didn't change his shape, which happens when he regenerates.

Thoughts?

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 03 Sep , 2008 8:07 pm
Daydream Believer

I think there is a Dr. Who thread in the Movies/TV forum.

And hasn't he been in the 'running' for Bilbo?

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 04 Sep , 2008 2:46 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

He can't be Bilbo, that would be a regeneration too many.

I'm not a Dr Who geek though I have always loved it. Any writer would just use some wibbly-wobbly stuff to get round the problem. I've just watched Tennant in a wonderful Scottish drama serial set in a mental institution that has just been repeated from the early 80's. He plays a teenage manic-depressive. The character stayed in my mind for 15 years or so and only with the recent repeat did I realise it was the young Tennant.

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Profile Quote
The Watcher
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 04 Sep , 2008 7:28 pm
Same as it ever was

I thought any future Dr. Who shows were going to be rather limited, as in mini-series/ televised movies, etc? Or is the rumored full fifth season of the reinvented show definitely in the works?

And, I DO like David Tennant, much more than I originally thought I would ( I really did like Chris Eccleston, although, I guess he was "too serious" for the role.)

Who will be his sidekick? They more or less eliminated any of the past three ones from being candidates.

As far as "how" they resurrect Dr. Who, I guess it will be something else other than a "full resurrection" - as Tosh said, they will bring in some "wibbly-wobbly time stuff/Tardis explanation." Maybe that "daughter" of his will be involved somehow.

Edit - I just saw a short article that seems to indicate season five will be a go, and that Steven Moffat is taking the helm over from Russell Davies. All in all, good news!

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 05 Sep , 2008 11:06 am
Filthy darwinian hobbit

If Steve Moffat is involved make certain there's space behind the sofa before it starts. And make certain the space is empty - really empty.

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Profile Quote
Silwen
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 05 Sep , 2008 4:38 pm
DomiKNITrix

It would be great if a regular series were made again. I only just got to know Doctor Who a bit ago and it feels as if it ended before it really began (but only because I have had to watch all episodes in more or less one go :Q ). It is hard to wait only for the specials. Moffat has impressed me with the episodes he wrote, so I am looking forward to more.

As to the original question, yes, he has now regenerated once more even if he looks the same. I am sure that, if they wanted to, they would find a way to make him live even longer even if all his regenerations had been used up.

And can I just say how great Donna is? :love: I didn't think much of her until the very last episode. What a great resolution!

Abso-knitting-lutely! The knitting blog.

Profile Quote
Estel
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 05 Sep , 2008 5:06 pm
Pure Kitsch Flavor

What I want to know is, what about Torchwood. The surviving characters were in the Dr. Who finale, but I haven't seen any previews or anything for another season. I love love love Torchwood

Profile Quote
Silwen
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 05 Sep , 2008 5:11 pm
DomiKNITrix

I heard that there is meant to be a Torchwood episode on BBC's Radio 4 next week. Click herefor details. Can't wait for that!

Abso-knitting-lutely! The knitting blog.

Profile Quote
The Watcher
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 05 Sep , 2008 5:15 pm
Same as it ever was

Estel -

I agree!! :D Although I was rather saddened at the finale of season 2 - I liked some of those characters!!

I found this on a Torchwood fansite, it appears there will be a season 3, although it sounds rather short, and I have no idea when we here in the US can hope to see it.
Quote:
Tuesday, August 26, 2008
The BBC Press Office finally(!) updatedus today on the approaching third season of Torchwood - and there was no mention of either Noel Clarke or Freema Agyeman, suggesting that their characters of Mickey Smith and Martha Jones would not be joining the Torchwood team. It's now understood that the series will star John Barrowman, Eve Myles and Gareth David-Lloyd as the series leads, with Kai Owen and Tom Price both promoted to series regulars.

Press release (SPOILERS!):

Filming for the third series of the smash hit drama Torchwood, created by Doctor Who writer Russell T Davies, has begun in Cardiff.

Due to transmit in 2009 on BBC One, the series – called Torchwood: Children Of Earth – sees the team embarking on a single action-packed adventure as they battle for the future of the human race against the fiercest force they have encountered.

The highly-motivated Torchwood team are John Barrowman as Captain Jack Harkness, Eve Myles as Gwen Cooper and Gareth David-Lloyd as Ianto Jones.

Other regular cast involved in their high-octane adventure are Kai Owen as Rhys Williams, Gwen's husband, and Tom Price as PC Andy.

Special guests in the five part series are Peter Capaldi (Doctor Who, The Thick Of It, Skins), who plays the role of Mr Frobisher – a civil servant who is hiding a terrible secret; Paul Copely (Coronation Street, The Bill) as Clem – the survivor still haunted by his past; and Liz May Brice (Bad Girls, The Bill) as Johnson – the cynical covert government agent determined to expose Torchwood.

Russell T Davies said: "The new series of Torchwood is hugely bold and promises to be bigger and better than ever – the audience is in for an amazing ride.

"This series is one big serial and the most ambitious story we've ever made, and we've got plenty of surprises in store."

Julie Gardner, Head of Drama, BBC Wales, said: "We hope to make Torchwood a gripping and surprising TV event with storylines that push our team into greater danger and sacrifice.

"Joining our main cast are some fantastic guest artists who will only add to making this unmissable TV."

The first two series of Torchwood have received global critical acclaim and the hit drama has been sold to more than 20 countries.

The second series of the BBC Wales-produced series, broadcast on BBC Two earlier this year, attracted audiences of around 3.4 million, peaking at 4.2 million for the first episode. Including viewers on BBC Three and BBC iPlayer the consolidated audience was 5.1 million.

When it launched on BBC Three in October 2006, it attracted the channel's highest viewing figures, with an audience of 2.5 million for the first episode.

Torchwood is executive produced by Russell T Davies and Julie Gardner. The producer is Peter Bennett (Doctor Who).

Torchwood is written by Russell T Davies, John Fay (Clocking Off, Coronation Street, Mobile) and James Moran (Doctor Who, Torchwood) and directed by Euros Lyn (best director in BAFTA Cymru TV Awards, Doctor Who, George Gently).

Torchwood is a BBC Wales for BBC Drama Production and was commissioned by Jane Tranter, BBC Controller of Fiction.
Only five epis? :(

Profile Quote
Estel
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 05 Sep , 2008 5:31 pm
Pure Kitsch Flavor

Short series seem to be pretty common here, but 5 episodes.... that's like a first series not a third :Q

I love Dr. Who, but I love my grown up Torchwood too. And nothing till 2009?! :bawl: :bawl: :bawl:

;)

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject: Re: Doctor Who
Posted: Mon 10 Aug , 2009 2:03 pm

I can't believe what they did in "Torchwood, Children of Earth" ! :bawl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Meril36
Posted: Mon 10 Aug , 2009 4:41 pm

I know, I'm so miffed about Ianto. That was not fair!

Trying for profundity only limits depth.

With all the anger in the land, how long before the judgement day? Before we cut the fat ones down to size? Before the barricades arise?

Visit my art gallery at deviantART.

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Mon 10 Aug , 2009 5:49 pm

************spoiler***********

Well, they just killed him off. They character-assassinated Jack, cuz they couldn't kill him. :(
Is this the current mode of keeping fans from objecting to a series ending? Ruin the show and/or kill everyone off so no one objects that it's over? That's what they seemed to do in SG1 and Stargate Atlantis. Perhaps every producer dreads what happened to Farscape and Firefly--massive fan protest until they make a mini-series or movie to finish things off.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]
Return to “The Turf”
Jump to: