The Last Homely Site on the Web

New Mac

Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 23 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 »
Wilma
Post subject: New Mac
Posted: Sun 14 Sep , 2008 3:47 pm
Takoyaki is love

Hello, everyone, I finally bought the computer!!! I set it up yesterday, initial set up is pretty easy.

Anyway I will be taking a Mac orientation soon,but I wanted to ask some basic stuff.

I got the file stuff figured out and now stuff is unlocked. :)

Now I have a couple of other questions. How does one uninstall a program downloaded from the internet ( I screwed up with Vuze)? How do I move a bunch of files to a new folder without draging and dropping?

EDIT: OMG! How do I save a pic from online?

Itoshiki Sensei from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Avatar by: sparklessence

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Sunsilver
Post subject: Re: New Mac
Posted: Sun 14 Sep , 2008 5:20 pm

Wilma, click on it, and it should give you the option of saving it to your "My Pictures" folder.

If you want to post it on B77, you will likely have to save it in a program like Photobucket, or picasa, then post it using the [img] code.

Oh, and we have to re-enter or avatars in our profiles to get them to show up here. (I notice yours is missing...)

When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose[/size]

Profile Quote
Alatar
Posted: Sun 14 Sep , 2008 10:39 pm
of Vinyamar

Or you could use the new Attachment option to upload here. ;)

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Wilma
Posted: Sat 27 Sep , 2008 1:31 am
Takoyaki is love

I finally started to figure out some stuff. Also taking the wrapper off of the mouse helps :doh1:

Does anyone know how to tun on the webcam option in either Yahoo or windows live messenger? I noticed with Messenger there is no tools option with the mac version.

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Wilma
Posted: Fri 13 Mar , 2009 4:36 am
Takoyaki is love

Alright, I have figured out a lot of stuff since my last post. But I have not figured out how to get get finder to reveal how much space things take up. Yesterday something mysteriously took up 100 GB on my comp. :Q I was working with some files but they were like 20 GB all together. I am trying to remember what I did yesterday and match it up with the space taken up but I can't figure it out since the Finder thing does not show how much space each folder take up unless you individually click on each folder. :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: I want an at a glance option like I used to be able to do with windows explorer, which would automatically show how much space each folder takes up. It was indespensible with managing an 80GB comp. Seeing where most of the space was taken up was almost instant. With this whole mac finder thing it's a nightmare. You know how many folders are on a comp? And I have to investigate each one to see how much space they take up!!? That is utter insanity!! :help:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Impenitent
Posted: Fri 13 Mar , 2009 12:25 pm
Try to stay perky

wilma, while in the finder, select the 'view' menu and click on the bottom option, 'show view options'. A palette will come up and the bottom option on that palette is 'calculate all sizes'. Tick the box, and you should then have all sizes calculated in your window, including folders.

Check all the options in that palette, btw, to ensure that the top option 'in all windows' is selected, rather than 'this window', if you want sizes to show up in ALL your windows.

[ img ]

"Believe me, every heart has its secret sorrows, which the world knows not;
and oftentimes we call a man cold when he is only sad." ~Robert C. Savage

Profile Quote
Wilma
Posted: Sat 14 Mar , 2009 4:10 pm
Takoyaki is love

Thank you Impy!!!! Your advice has worked. :D The thing is I can't seem to find an apply to all windows. I tried using the use as default option but not much luck, but I will manage. Thanks!!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
GandalfStormcrow
Posted: Mon 16 Mar , 2009 4:15 pm

Wilma, as far as saving a picture on your computer, you can do the same thing from Safari or Firefox as you can do in IE7. Click the picture and drag it to your desktop. It'll create a Preview file you can open and save into iPhoto from there.

I've had a couple of 20-25G files happen to me too, mostly when I would rip from a DVD. That was the fault of the program I was using, though. The .MOV file I was creating from the DVD was just enormous. I use a different program now (handbrake), and I can rip an .avi file from whichever scene I choose from the DVD.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Posted: Mon 16 Mar , 2009 7:02 pm
You are hearing me talk

Wilma wrote:
the Finder thing does not show how much space each folder take up unless you individually click on each folder. :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:
Macs are "user friendly" and thus try to avoid confusing people with technical mumbo-jumbo like how much space a directory takes up. =:)

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Mon 16 Mar , 2009 8:54 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

Yes, they say, "Ohhh, don't worry about that stuff, dude. Come on, let's go to Starbucks and get another latte or something."

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Posted: Tue 17 Mar , 2009 12:31 pm
You are hearing me talk

LalaithUrwen wrote:
Yes, they say, "Ohhh, don't worry about that stuff, dude. Come on, let's go to Starbucks and get another latte or something."
I could have sworn I read this post yesterday and it was by *E*. Am I losing my mind? (more if it; I mean)

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Tue 17 Mar , 2009 1:07 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

No, I wrote it, but I'm flattered if you thought it was worthy of being a post by *E*. :D

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Wilma
Posted: Fri 20 Mar , 2009 3:39 am
Takoyaki is love

Is there a way to defragment the computer?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Wilma
Posted: Thu 02 Apr , 2009 8:03 am
Takoyaki is love

I just realized for an essay I have to do, I have to shrink and resize pictures. Does anyone know of a mac version of Ifranview?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Alatar
Posted: Thu 02 Apr , 2009 8:40 am
of Vinyamar

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Wilma
Posted: Thu 03 Dec , 2009 11:18 am
Takoyaki is love

Oh thanks Alatar, I did not realize you posted. :D

(I figured out word would resize my pics.

I just recently discovered how to set up the right click option on my mouse (yes I know I am dim). I did not know you could set up a mac mouse to have a 3 button option. (I love my Mac)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Rinon
Posted: Sat 05 Dec , 2009 8:51 am
the other half of the dyblamic duo

Well, here is a belated welcome to the dark side. :D I still know very little about my mac besides how to use it, but that's worked out pretty well for me so far so I have no complaints..

Profile Quote
Wilma
Posted: Sun 06 Dec , 2009 1:43 am
Takoyaki is love

I need some help. I am trying to find a codec to get Quicktime to play OGM files. I have tried XiphQT components, but I only get sound, no video. Why the heck do people make all these weird formats. I thought all my grief was over getting MKV files to work. :bang:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dawnnamira
Posted: Sun 06 Dec , 2009 2:03 am

OGM is an open source format, I'm not sure you'll be able to get Quicktime to play it...

I use VLC player, it plays OGM and everything, really. There is a version for Mac OS X.

Other than that, I think your best bet would be to Google ogm codec for Mac and see what comes up.

How strange it is to be anything at all

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Posted: Sun 06 Dec , 2009 2:20 am
Hasta la victoria, siempre

Check out the tech forums on animesuki. That's where I got the mod version of the Combined Community Codec Pack, which runs best on Windows Media Player Classic. I'm sure if it doesn't work for Macs, they'll have a seperate version. :)

*~Pips~*

Avatar is a male me, drawn by a very close friend. Just don't ask why.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 23 posts ]
Return to “The Turf” | Jump to page 1 2 »
Jump to: