board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Got soup recipes?

Post Reply   Page 6 of 6  [ 115 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6
BrianIsSmilingAtYou
Post subject: Re: Got soup recipes?
Posted: Sat 02 May , 2009 9:41 pm

I'll have to look this over more carefully. I do a fair bit of soup-making, but it's usually spontaneous--some veggies, rice or beans or noodles or barley or orzo, optionally some kind of meat.

It usually varies each time, though there are some that are fairly common combinations, like chicken stock, onion, carrot, celery + (rice or noodles/orzo) and chicken, plus some spices possibly. You could readily substitute beef for chicken there.

Some variations are a bit more complicated, and sometimes it is as simple as broth with rice and some parsley or basil, maybe with an egg-drop variation.

BrianIs :) AtYou

[ img ]

My niece, Humera, under a pumpkin leaf!

Profile Quote
Leafy
Posted: Sat 02 May , 2009 9:45 pm
Lying among the Daisies

This thread makes me go :drool:

I can't wait to try out some of these recipes!

~Leafy~

Let's get Fizzical

Profile Quote
vison
Posted: Sun 03 May , 2009 3:37 am
Best friends forever

Crushed tomatoes work better, or whole tomatoes that you chop yourself. Canned diced tomatoes have a chemical in them to make them keep their shape and so they are always little chunky things, which I don't like.

Living on Earth is expensive,
but it does include a free trip
around the sun every year.

Profile Quote
elfshadow
Posted: Mon 04 May , 2009 12:19 am
Kill the headlights and put it in neutral

Well, to each his own I guess. ;) I like the consistency of canned diced tomatoes, chemical be damned. But if that sort of thing worries you it won't really change the taste of the soup to change the shape of the tomato.

Profile Quote
BrianIsSmilingAtYou
Posted: Mon 04 May , 2009 5:54 am

vison wrote:
Crushed tomatoes work better, or whole tomatoes that you chop yourself. Canned diced tomatoes have a chemical in them to make them keep their shape and so they are always little chunky things, which I don't like.
The chemical used for this purpose is calcium chloride, which is a salt (different from table salt, which is sodium chloride). Calcium and chloride ions are naturally present in many foods, and are also necessary for human health, so there is little chance of harm (though, as with many things, too much of anything can become a bad thing, and it can be harmful if ingested in pure form).

It is possible that the taste is changed by this (it has a strong salty flavor), and that this may be what you object to, but many things are added to canned tomatoes (and other products) of various kinds which change the flavor.

Calcium chloride is used an as additive in various products.

From wiki:
Quote:
As an ingredient, it [calcium chloride] is listed as a permitted food additive in the European Union for use as a sequestrant and firming agent with the E number E509, and considered as generally recognized as safe (GRAS) by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. (21 CFR § 184.1193) The average intake of calcium chloride as food additives has been estimated to be 160-345 mg/day for individuals.[9] Ingestion of concentrated or pure calcium chloride products may cause gastrointestinal irritation or ulceration.[10] The anhydrous form has been approved by the FDA as a packaging aid to ensure dryness (CPG 7117.02).[11]

Calcium chloride is commonly used as an electrolyte and has an extremely salty taste, as found in sports drinks and other beverages such as Smartwater and Nestle bottled water. It can also be used as a preservative to maintain firmness in canned vegetables or in higher concentrations in pickles to give a salty taste while not increasing the food's sodium content. It is even found in snack foods, including Cadbury Caramilk chocolate bars (purpose unknown).

It can be used to make a caviar substitute from vegetable or fruit juices[12] or added to processed milk to restore the natural balance between calcium and protein for the purposes of making cheese such as brie and stilton. Calcium chloride's exothermic properties are exploited in many 'self heating' food products where it is activated (mixed) with water to start the heating process, providing a non-explosive, dry fuel that is easily activated.

In brewing beers (esp. ales and bitters), calcium chloride is sometimes used to correct mineral deficiencies in the brewing water (calcium is important for enzyme function during the mash, for kettle protein coagulation (the "hot break") and yeast metabolism) and adds permanent hardness to the water. The chloride ions enhance flavour and give a perception of sweetness and fuller flavour, whereas the sulfate ions in gypsum, which is also used to add calcium ions to brewing water, tend to impart a drier, crisper flavour with more bitterness.
BrianIs :) AtYou

[ img ]

My niece, Humera, under a pumpkin leaf!

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Mon 04 May , 2009 1:36 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

Interesting! :)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Posted: Mon 04 May , 2009 6:10 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

*makes notes for next beer brewing session*

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Mon 16 Jan , 2012 2:02 pm
Aspiring to heresy

*bump*

I've been on a soup-making binge again. Nom nom nom!

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Mon 16 Jan , 2012 2:51 pm

http://realmomkitchen.com/225/crock-pot ... illa-soup/

I made that one recently with some minor changes (made my own seasoning instead of using a packet, e.g.). It was really good! I posted it in the Cookery Guild.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Tue 17 Jan , 2012 2:05 am
Aspiring to heresy

I guess non-Canadians don't receive the Milk Calendar - it's a free calendar put out by the milk marketing board with a recipe for every month. Some of them are quite good! Especially this one from this year:

Sweet potato soup with lime

I made it last week, and I'll definitely be making it again and again. It's a keeper.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Sun 14 Oct , 2012 7:26 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Bump!

It's soup season again - I made The Watcher's Wisconsin Beer Cheese Soup today which was wonderful - comments ranged from "Perfect", "to die for", to "Oh God that's good!".

To save you looking it up, I'll just quote the recipe here for you:
The Watcher wrote:
Here is one from around my parts which is good (if you like cheese!!) The beer flavor and alcohol cooks out, but it has a wonderful effect on bringing out the flavors of the other ingredients.

Wisconsin Beer Cheese Soup

1 1/2 cups diced carrots
1 1/2 cups diced onion
1 1/2 cups diced celery
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
3 cups chicken broth
2 cups beer
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup flour
4 cups milk or half and half
6 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon dry mustard

1. In a large saucepan over medium heat, stir together carrots, onion, celery, and garlic. Stir in hot pepper sauce, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Pour in chicken broth and beer; simmer until vegetables are tender, about 12 minutes. Remove from heat.
2. Meanwhile, heat butter in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Stir in flour with a wire whisk; cook, stirring until the flour is light brown, about 3 or 4 minutes. Gradually stir in milk, whisking to prevent scorching, until thickened. Remove from heat, and gradually stir in cheese. Keep warm.
3. Stir beer mixture into cheese mixture. Stir in Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and dry mustard. Adjust for hot pepper sauce. Bring to a simmer, and cook 10 minutes.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Sun 14 Oct , 2012 10:44 pm

I'm going to have to try that. I have a bottle of Yuengling lager in the fridge that neither Freddy nor I likes, but I don't want it to go to waste.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Mon 12 Nov , 2012 10:57 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Since it was so good, I'm going to share the Pumpkin Soup recipe I made yesterday:

Pumpkin Soup
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 stalk of celery, chopped
  • 1 large carrot, chopped
  • 2 medium potatoes, cubed
  • 1 medium pumpkin (I actually used 1 small pumpkin and 1 acorn squash)
  • Salt to tast
  • Freshly ground pepper to taste
  • 1/2 cup cream
  • 2 10-0z cans chicken stock
  • White wine (I didn't measure exactly - 1/2 cup, maybe?)
Don't worry about chopping the vegetables precisely, because it gets puréed later.

Cut the pumpkin in halves or quarters, remove the seeds, and bake at 350 degrees until soft enough to peel and chop.

Melt the butter with the olive oil in a large pot and cook the onion, celery, carrot, potatoes and pumpkin until lightly browned. Pour in enough chicken stock to cover vegetables, and add wine.

Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 40 minutes until vegetables are tender.

Transfer soup to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. If you want some chunkiness in the soup, do as I did and only put about 3/4 of the soup into the blender.

Return to pot, add remaining chicken broth and stir in cream.

Season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Serve.

Next time I make this, I may add a bay leaf, too.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Berhael
Posted: Mon 19 Nov , 2012 9:52 pm
Milk and kisses

That pumpkin soup sounds delicious. I prefer butternut squash, but pumpkin is lovely too.

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Mon 19 Nov , 2012 10:08 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Actually, the original recipe called for butternut squash, but since I had pumpkin and acorn squash on hand, I made a few adjustments.

Besides, I could put pumpkin in anything. :D

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 6 of 6  [ 115 posts ]
Return to “The Turf” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6
Jump to: