The Last Homely Site on the Web

Got soup recipes?

Post Reply   Page 1 of 6  [ 115 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
Jude
Post subject: Got soup recipes?
Posted: Tue 21 Oct , 2008 12:17 am
Aspiring to heresy

Having just made Thanksgiving turkey last weekend, I now have a great deal of turkey stock waiting to be used. :drool:

Duffy linked to a Butternut Squash Soup recipe that looks like it's worth trying.

Do you have any favourite soup recipes that you find yourself making again and again? This is your chance to share it! :poke:

I have lots of stock to get through :help:

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
theduffster
Post subject: Re: Got soup recipes?
Posted: Tue 21 Oct , 2008 12:26 am
Damn those Amish!!

Hey, I was just gonna point you to mah squashy soop! Thanks for the vote of confidence.

This is a great soup, my youngest loooves it. Pretty easy to make!

I love winter because it's soup-making time! I am definitely a soupaholic, and so is Ellie, so we're happy. My hubby is pretty meh over soup, sucks to be him, because I'll make soup about once a week when the weather turns cold.

[ img ]

Gob: Return from whence you came!!

Profile Quote
Dawnnamira
Posted: Tue 21 Oct , 2008 12:28 am

I like soups because most of them are convenient to drink. But, that being said, I don't really make them. :(

If Mom makes soup, I'm all over it. :whistle:

How strange it is to be anything at all

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Tue 21 Oct , 2008 2:50 am
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

I make soups. In fact, I am a good soup maker. However, I don't follow recipes (usually).

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
vison
Posted: Tue 21 Oct , 2008 4:35 am
Best friends forever

The main thing about making soup is you have to have a good stock. That's the thing.

I have a really neat recipe for Bean Chowder. First, soak a cup of little white beans or navy beans overnight after rinsing them and picking them over. Make sure the water covers them by at least 2 inches.

In the morning, chop a half pound of bacon up with a couple of onions chopped fine and sweat them together. Add the drained and rinsed beans, cover with a couple of inches of water. Bring to a boil and simmer till the beans are done.

Then, take a potato masher and mash some of the beans, not all, and pour in 2 cups of whipping cream. Taste for seasoning and enjoy.

This soup is Fabulous. No kidding. And much better on the second day.

Living on Earth is expensive,
but it does include a free trip
around the sun every year.

Profile Quote
The Watcher
Posted: Tue 21 Oct , 2008 3:48 pm
Same as it ever was

If I ever have a ham bone, I make a killer bean and ham soup with it, something like vison's but no cream is needed with all of the ham stock and carrots, celery, and onions.

When I can get whole frying chickens on sale, I always cut them up myself and use wing tips, necks, and backs to whip up a great chicken stock, which is useful for any number of easy soups. Leek and potato soup made with a poultry stock is good this time of year, so is cabbage soup (don't knock it, this stuff is great!!) Italian Wedding soup is another good one, although it is a bit of work since you make little meatballs for the soup. And, then a classic - matzo ball soup.

If anyone wants my recipes, let me know, and I will dig them out, although with soup, like Lali, I often eyeball and taste my way through it rather than use a precise recipe.

Scientists tell us that the fastest animal on earth, with a top speed of 120 miles per second, is a cow that has been dropped from a helicopter.

Never under any circumstances take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

- Dave Barry

Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive...
Supermassive Black Hole.

- Muse

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Tue 21 Oct , 2008 4:08 pm
Aspiring to heresy

The Watcher wrote:
If anyone wants my recipes, let me know, and I will dig them out,
Yes please! :D

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Posted: Tue 21 Oct , 2008 7:32 pm
Daydream Believer

This Soup doesn’t have a name…I lost the name a long time ago.

3-4 cups of chicken stock
1 16oz. jar of salsa (sometimes I use bigger jars)
1 can of corn
1 can of black beans rinsed
Garlic
Onion if you want
3 Raman noodle packets with only one seasoning packet
Chicken or Shrimp or No meat at all.

Put all in the pot, cook until you think it’s done.

I found this recipe in Fitness Magazine, it’s low fat and not too high in calories. I break the noodles up before putting them in, so they aren’t all long and spaghetti like. Plus it’s super easy and makes a big batch. I often take it to pot-lucks and never have any leftover.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
theduffster
Posted: Tue 21 Oct , 2008 9:17 pm
Damn those Amish!!

Hey, the best cooks always improvise. They add a dash of this, substitute that...and soup is very forgiving!

[ img ]

Gob: Return from whence you came!!

Profile Quote
elfshadow
Posted: Tue 21 Oct , 2008 10:04 pm
Kill the headlights and put it in neutral

Since the thread is here and b77ers tend to be wonderful cooks...does anyone have a good recipe for vegetable stock? I'm a vegetarian so I don't make meat stock at home, and the canned or cubed versions at the grocery store tend to be very high in sodium. Onions and carrots are staples for just about any vegetable broth, it seems, but what other tasty things could I throw in to make for a more flavorful stock?

Profile Quote
Amrunelen
Posted: Tue 21 Oct , 2008 10:07 pm
wencherific

My roomate and I made some rather tasty beef vegetable soup the other night.....quite simple.

Step 1, beef stock and water.

Step 2, cook up some stewing beef.

Step 3, empty all of the vegetables out of your freezer/fridge.

:P

Ours happened to contain potato, corn, green beans, celery, carrots, shallots, tomato....and some macaroni. Which isn't a vegetable. Also, an array of herbs that sounded good....some garlic salt, celery salt, pepper. Annnnd....I think that was it. :scratch:

But it was good!

[ img ]

"Morning has broken and I have felt a presence that disturbs
me with the joy of elevated thoughts; a sense sublime of
something far more deeply interfused, whose dwelling is the
light of setting suns, and the round ocean and the living air,
and the blue sky, and in the mind of man; a motion and a
spirit, that impels." -Wordsworth

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Tue 21 Oct , 2008 11:46 pm

elfshadow wrote:
Since the thread is here and b77ers tend to be wonderful cooks...does anyone have a good recipe for vegetable stock? I'm a vegetarian so I don't make meat stock at home, and the canned or cubed versions at the grocery store tend to be very high in sodium. Onions and carrots are staples for just about any vegetable broth, it seems, but what other tasty things could I throw in to make for a more flavorful stock?
I'll bet vison will have some great suggestions. I would add celery, for sure. Parsley, maybe (definitely in the final version). I like to stick cloves in my onion and then use that in the stock. Depending on what kind of soup you want to make in the end, you could add fresh (or dried) basil and tarragon. Oh, and garlic. Yep, you'll need garlic.

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Tue 21 Oct , 2008 11:53 pm
Aspiring to heresy

What Lali said.

I'd recommend:

celery
onion (quartered)
some carrots, sliced
a bay leaf
some peppercorns

Do you grow herbs? I bet a sprig of thyme would be fantastic.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Wed 22 Oct , 2008 12:01 am

:yes:

Mmmm, now I'm getting hungry....

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Impenitent
Posted: Wed 22 Oct , 2008 12:42 am
Try to stay perky

Zucchini soup

About 2 litres of chicken stock, four zucchini, two large spuds (one of the varieties that breaks up easily, not the waxy ones that hold their shape), dill, couple garlic cloves, salt & pepper (though this depends on how seasoned your stock is).

Chop up the zucchini and the spucs, drop in the crushed garlic and about a tablespoonful of chopped dill and top up with the stock. When the vegies are softened, get a potato masher and mush them all up, so you get a good thick broth. You can leave some of the vegies unmushed.

I love this, with cheese toast. Sometimes I put leek in too. Not onion though (though that's usually incorporated into the stock).

And my other favourite:

Smoked chicken and green pea soup.

Usually I use the leavings of a smoked chicken, after I've used it for sandwiches or whatever - the wing tips and carcass etc. Tip into a large pot, with a whole onion, couple of chopped carrots celery stalks (also drop the celery leaves on top - they can be removed later) and a cup of washed and picked through dried green peas. Add a couple of bay leaves and some peppercorns. You don't need salt - the smoked chicken is plenty salty. Cover with water, bring to the boil and drop to a simmer, and skim the foam from the top while it's forming. When the foam stops, partly cover the pot and simmer for an hour or so or until the peas are ready to dissolve into mush. Keep checking the water level - this soup thickens up a lot and you want to make sure it doesn't turn into stew. This is DELICIOUS with crusty bread and best eaten the day after. Really hearty.

[ img ]

"Believe me, every heart has its secret sorrows, which the world knows not;
and oftentimes we call a man cold when he is only sad." ~Robert C. Savage

Profile Quote
The Watcher
Posted: Wed 22 Oct , 2008 1:27 am
Same as it ever was

elfshadow -

A good vegetarian soup stock will contain onions, garlic, carrots, and celery, but other things that really help it out can be any of the following - mushroom stems from white, crimini or portobellos (freeze them when you use the tops), the bottom bits of asparagus stalks (freeze those as well), tomatoes depending on the type of soup you are planning to make, and fresh or dried herbs of all sorts - parsley, basil, oregano, thyme, sage, black pepper, and sea salt or kosher salt. Things like cabbage or broccoli tend to sour a stock quickly if not in the soup itself, so they are not recommended for a stock. The same thing goes for leafy greens like spinach or chard. Chiles (unless dried) and bell peppers are also not good until you make the soup itself.

When I make a veggie soup stock, I also like to add a healthy dollop of good soy sauce for flavor, it really spikes up the taste.

But, remember the key thing about a stock - you can always add something more flavorful to it, but you cannot take away something that overpowers it - go lightly with seasonings on your stock itself, you can always jazz it up when you make the soup. :)

Scientists tell us that the fastest animal on earth, with a top speed of 120 miles per second, is a cow that has been dropped from a helicopter.

Never under any circumstances take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

- Dave Barry

Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive...
Supermassive Black Hole.

- Muse

[ img ]

Profile Quote
vison
Posted: Wed 22 Oct , 2008 1:53 am
Best friends forever

Don't ever put garlic in stock. Use all the garlic you want in the final soup, but not in the stock. Don't salt your stock, either.

Yes, I have a good recipe for vegetarian stock but I don't have it right now as it is on the failed drive from my old computer. I have it in a book somewhere, though, and will dig it out when I get home from Chicago if anyone wants it.

Living on Earth is expensive,
but it does include a free trip
around the sun every year.

Profile Quote
The Watcher
Posted: Wed 22 Oct , 2008 2:52 am
Same as it ever was

I need to get off to the moot thread, I only have this one chance to drive down and try and meet up with you guys....

- Dave Barry

Supermassive Black Hole.

- Muse

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Wed 22 Oct , 2008 1:56 pm

When I make chicken soup, first I put a whole chicken in a stock pot and boil it for an hour or two.

Then I pour the broth through a strainer into my other stock pot so I don't leave any bones on the bottom and start adding rice, veggies and spices to the broth and boil it while I'm deboning the chicken. I put some of the broth in a smaller pan to reboil the bones in.

I use rice, salt, pepper, garlic, onions, carrots, celery, paprika, tumeric powder, dill weed, parsley, basil and chives in the main soup. After I get the chicken deboned, I use kitchen shears to cut the longer pieces of meat into smaller chunks and add it to the soup pot.

I put all the bones and gristle into the smaller pot with a bit of reserved broth and boil for a while, stirring frequently to make sure everything gets cooked down good. When the rice is done in the main soup, I use the strainer again to pour the reboiled bone broth back into the main soup. This method really strips every last nutrient out of the bones and gristle and makes the soup richer.

I do this about once a week and we get quite a few meals of really good chicken soup out of the pot. I've recently taken to using dehydrated vegetables in the soup and it's been working out well so far. I've stopped keeping fresh celery, carrots and onions in my fridge-- which is just as well considering how much I've wasted by having them go bad in the vegetable drawer.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
The Watcher
Posted: Thu 23 Oct , 2008 1:16 am
Same as it ever was

Well, as promised, here are some of my soup recipes, written down but never followed strictly, if that makes sense.

Cabbage Soup #1

1 medium yellow onion, peeled and diced
2 T butter or vegetable oil
2 T flour
1/2 to 1 cup chopped carrots (I buy the baby carrots already peeled in the one pound bags, since we also use them for snacking so often)
4 cups coarsely shredded green cabbage (about one pound - here again, you can buy the preshredded coleslaw mix in a pinch if you do not want a partially used head of cabbage sitting about.)
3 cups roughly chopped skin on red potatoes or yukon gold potatoes - use waxy types for this soup
4-5 cups chicken stock
salt and black pepper to taste (I love to use some garlic pepper seasoning and thyme in this soup)
1 can evaporated milk or 12 ozs of half and half cream

Melt the butter or heat oil in a large dutch oven or soup pot and add the onions, stir until tender and sort of transparent. Add the flour and stir to mix well, then add carrots and potatoes, let cook for a few minutes, then add cabbage and stock, season to taste. Bring to a boil but then turn down to a slow simmer, let cook for 45 minutes to an hour at least, then add the milk or cream. I usually slow simmer it for around two hours to let the soup sort of thicken under its own power and condense the flavors.

Cabbage Soup #2

2 T butter or olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
I medium yellow onion, peeled and sliced finely
5 cups rich chicken stock
1 pound slivered cabbage (around four cups - kale or chard also work well in this recipe)
1 can white beans, drained
Salt and pepper and other seasonings to taste
Extra virgin olive oil and fresh parmesan cheese to serve

Heat butter or oil in a dutch oven or soup pot, and then add the garlic and onions, stir until translucent. Add the stock, cabbage and simmer until cabbage has wilted down, about 30 minutes, then add your drained beans. Heat again to a boil, and simmer at least another 15 minutes. Season to taste, serve soup hot with toasty Italian bread in a bowl with a liberal drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkle of fresh grated cheese.

The rest to follow.

- Dave Barry

Supermassive Black Hole.

- Muse

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 6  [ 115 posts ]
Return to “The Turf” | Jump to page 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
Jump to: