Post Reply   Page 2 of 6  [ 115 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
The Watcher
Post subject: Re: Got soup recipes?
Posted: Thu 23 Oct , 2008 4:31 pm
Same as it ever was

More soup recipes:

Potato Leek Soup

1 lb leeks, well cleaned and dark green top ends removed, sliced thinly (about 4 or 5 medium size leeks)
2 T butter
1 lb waxy potatoes (red or yukon gold) peeled and cut into small dice
1 qt chicken stock or vegetable broth
salt and pepper to taste
1 c cream
1 c buttermilk (or you can use two cups of regular milk for the cream and buttermilk but it will not have that tangy taste)
fresh chives or dill for garnish

Sweat leeks in butter in a large dutch oven or soup pot for about five minutes, then turn heat down to low and cook gently for another 25 minutes until leeks are very soft. Add stock and potatoes and a good pinch of salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil and let gently simmer for 45 minutes, or until potatoes are soft. Blend mixture, return to soup pot and add cream and buttermilk, heat gently and serve, or chill and serve cold. Garnish with chives or dill if desired.

Italian Wedding Soup

Meatballs:

1 small onion, finely chopped
1/4 c fresh parsley, chopped
1 t garlic, minced
1 t salt
1/2 c grated parmesan cheese
1 egg
1 slice of stale bread, crust removed, crumbled into small bits
1 lb ground meat (beef and/or pork, but ground chicken or turkey also work well)
a few grinds of black pepper

Mix all ingredients well to thoroughly combine, form mixture into 1 inch diameter meatballs.

Soup:

3 qts chicken stock
1 lb. curly endive, escarole, or fresh spinach, washed and chopped (frozen chopped spinach will also work if thawed and well drained)
1/2 c small pasta such as orzo (optional)
2 eggs
3 T parmesan cheese

Heat stock in a large soup kettle to a boil, add meatballs first, reduce heat to a gentle simmer, then add endive and pasta. Cook gently for about 10 minutes, or until meatballs are cooked through and pasta is tender. Whisk together the eggs and parmesan cheese, then, while stirring the soup, gently drizzle the egg cheese mixture into the soup. Turn off heat, and once egg mixture sets, ladle and serve.

Matzo Ball Soup

1/2 c matzo meal
2 eggs
2 T oil or chicken fat (skimmed from chicken stock)
2 T water or chicken stock
1 t salt
a pinch of black pepper

Mix matzo dough thoroughly and cover it with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1/2 hour so meal will absorb the other ingredients. Meanwhile, heat at least 1 1/2 quarts of well salted water to a boil and in another pot, heat 2 to 3 quarts of good chicken stock to which you may toss in a handful of chopped carrots and celery if desired.

Take chilled matzo ball dough, and using either wet or "pammed" hands, form the dough into one inch balls and drop them into the boiling water, which should be kept at a steady simmer. Once all of the matzo balls have been formed, cover the pot partially and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes, they are done when they float to the top and look puffed. Using a slotted spoon, place matzo balls in soup bowls and ladle chicken broth and vegetables over.

Scientists tell us that the fastest animal on earth, with a top speed of 120 miles per second, is a cow that has been dropped from a helicopter.

Never under any circumstances take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

- Dave Barry

Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive...
Supermassive Black Hole.

- Muse

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Eruname
Posted: Fri 24 Oct , 2008 12:20 am
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

I made myself a batch of Minestrone soup once that turned out really yummy. Wish I could remember exactly what I did. :scratch:

I've noticed I mostly only like what I'd call brothy soups...basically thin like water, but flavorful with lots of veggie, pasta or meat bits. I really liked Campbell's Chicken Vegetable soup.I can't find an equivalent here. All the English soups I've had seem to be thicker. Of course broth over here does mean something thicker.

So Maria's recipe really appeals to me. Problem is, I'm not sure my largest pot would be large enough to boil a whole chicken in.

Now I'm feeling guilty about the several chicken carcasses I've thrown away. Aside from the green tops of leeks, I don't think I have any veg bits that can be used before throwing away.

I do remember talking about this once, but when one is making vegetable stock, you do toss the veggies you used to make it right?

I do have a problem with not wanting to have soup or stew for dinner. It's a psychological thing. To me soup is more of a lunch thing. Even though if I had it for dinner, I know I would have my physical hunger sated, but mentally I'd be wanting something more substantial. It's really weird. Sometimes my inlaws will have some bread and cheese and maybe a few carrot sticks and lettuce for dinner if they've had a larger lunch. I just can't do that. I wish I could.

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
Crucifer
Posted: Fri 24 Oct , 2008 1:41 am
A song outlasts a dynasty.

No recipes for got soup, I'm afraid (roflroflrofl) but my mum makes killer chicken and veg soup. I'll ask her to give me the recipe over the weekend and post it here!

Sleep is a death; Oh, make me try by sleeping what it is to die.

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Posted: Sun 26 Oct , 2008 1:21 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

Vegetable stocks:
The Watcher gave a good comprehensive list as one would expect but I would add trimmings from fennel bulbs to that list. Onion skins will not add much flavour but will darken the stock.
I make two soups regularly as a very quick lunch. One I got from Berhael and is a garlic soup. It uses a small amount of meat but one could make a vegetarian version which wouldn't be very different.

Fry gently some shreds of bacon, ham or smoked sausage (salami, chorizo etc) in olive oil. Were this to be vegetarian I would use a couple of sliced mushrooms instead. After a short while add finely minced garlic cloves. I use 3 or 4 plump ones but you could go up to 6. Cook them gently for a minute or two. Add flour to the oil, meat and garlic. How much depends on how much soup you are making and how thick you want it. I make one big bowl for myself and use 2 and a half dessertspoonfuls (say around 30 ml). It ends up fairly thick. You might need to dribble in more olive oil to turn this into a soft paste that bubbles (ie a roux). Now add paprika. There are all sorts so pick the one you like. I use a smoked type and sometimes I add a little smoked paprika that's got some chilli in it. I might put about a dessertspoonful in (around 10-15 ml) but Ber's recipe had much less. Stir it round on the gentle heat and then add a pint/half a litre of stock and amalgamate this. I use a beef stock cube but use what you have. Adding the stock to the roux is a skill. You want to avoid lumps. Add the liquid steadily and stir like mad. It helps if its off the heat. The lumps disappear more easily when it's thick than when it's thin (because of friction). When it's smooth enough bring to the simmer for 5 minutes. Meanwhile tear some lumps of stale bread into the bowl you'll eat from. I think something solid like corn bread would be good. Soft thin sliced bread would be horrible. Just before the soup is ready to be served add an egg. I expect the original Spanish recipe had the egg cracked into the hot soup in the bowl so it poached in the hot liquid but I'm a bit fussy so beat the egg in a cup and pour it into the soup when its still in the pan and stir it round so it curdles. Pour the soup over the bread in the bowl and Bob's your uncle, it's done. It sounds an effort but it's pretty quick to make. I make it fairly regularly.
It's very warming.

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Profile Quote
The Watcher
Posted: Sun 26 Oct , 2008 1:56 pm
Same as it ever was

Oh, Tosh, that does sound tasty!!

Here is one from around my parts which is good (if you like cheese!!) The beer flavor and alcohol cooks out, but it has a wonderful effect on bringing out the flavors of the other ingredients.

Wisconsin Beer Cheese Soup

1 1/2 cups diced carrots
1 1/2 cups diced onion
1 1/2 cups diced celery
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
3 cups chicken broth
2 cups beer
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup flour
4 cups milk or half and half
6 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon dry mustard

1. In a large saucepan over medium heat, stir together carrots, onion, celery, and garlic. Stir in hot pepper sauce, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Pour in chicken broth and beer; simmer until vegetables are tender, about 12 minutes. Remove from heat.
2. Meanwhile, heat butter in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Stir in flour with a wire whisk; cook, stirring until the flour is light brown, about 3 or 4 minutes. Gradually stir in milk, whisking to prevent scorching, until thickened. Remove from heat, and gradually stir in cheese. Keep warm.
3. Stir beer mixture into cheese mixture. Stir in Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and dry mustard. Adjust for hot pepper sauce. Bring to a simmer, and cook 10 minutes.

Scientists tell us that the fastest animal on earth, with a top speed of 120 miles per second, is a cow that has been dropped from a helicopter.

Never under any circumstances take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

- Dave Barry

Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive...
Supermassive Black Hole.

- Muse

[ img ]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Sun 26 Oct , 2008 7:00 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

<really wants some yummy soup now> [ img ]

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Berhael
Posted: Sun 26 Oct , 2008 8:15 pm
Milk and kisses

The Watcher, that soup sounds wonderful! :Q I have a sore throat at the moment and because I find swallowing painful, all I crave are hot soups and things like that. I think I'm going to make that for dinner tomorrow! :D

*waves to Tosh* :D So glad that you liked the garlic soup recipe! I whisk my egg too, I prefer it Chinese hot-and-sour soup-style to having a whole poached egg on my bowl.

Eru, I have soup for dinner often; I find that with a couple of slices of toast and some cheese it makes a satisfying dinner. :) Have you tried Japanese miso soup? You could have that and a bowl of rice, for a very Japanese dinner. ;)

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Posted: Sun 26 Oct , 2008 10:41 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

:wave: to Ber. Ta for the recipe. I had my version of miso soup today for lunch and was going to post that recipe next. :)

First get your miso. It's far too expensive in our supermarkets and I buy a fat packet in Oriental stores when I visit London. Then it's quite cheap. There's lots of different sorts, some of them quite dark, salty and strong. I'm not too keen on them but have had them in the past. I prefer the type known as shiromiso (shiro is white in Japanese though the colour is more a light orangey brown) as it's milder. There are various brand names too. It keeps well in the fridge.
To start I tip a soupbowlful of water in a saucepan and start to heat it. I pop in some finely chopped fresh ginger. (When my Japanese teacher heard I put ginger into miso soup she was shocked but I don't care) Then I put a splash of soy sauce in. It's not essential. Then I pick out some noodles and check how long they need to cook. It could be anything from 2 minutes to 9. If it's 9 then they'll take longer than the vegetables so they go in next. If it's 2 minutes then they go in last. You get the idea. Use whatever quantity you want to eat. For guidance think of 3 to 4 ounces. I like udon noodles but use what is to hand. While the water is heating chop up tiny amounts of vegetables - carrots, cabbage, broccoli, mushrooms, cauliflower, stick beans etc, whatever you have handy. You don't need much. They get chucked in to the boiling stock so they finish at the same time as the noodles. Sliced thinly we are talking about 4-5 minutes for the vegetables. I sprinkle in flakes of seaweed too. As these cook I chop up a spring onion or two (scallion) into the soupbowl and put a desertspoonful of miso paste in too. I spoon some liquor from the pot on to the miso to thin it. I might put a few drops of sesame oil in too. Then the stock and noodles are poured over the thinned miso paste and chopped onions and stirred around. Voila, Bob's ton oncle encore.
It's another very quick meal. I suppose it might be healthy but I don't give a toss.

Next post, nettle soup! :devil:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
The Watcher
Posted: Mon 27 Oct , 2008 3:09 am
Same as it ever was

I have heard about nettle soup, now let us see a bonafide good recipe for it!!

Tosh has to tell us all how to harvest the nettles and make them appropriate for cooking without our hands all getting blistered and stung even AFTER the things are supposedly plucked from the ground...

:whistle:

- Dave Barry

Supermassive Black Hole.

- Muse

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Posted: Tue 28 Oct , 2008 5:47 pm
Daydream Believer

Here's an old recipe that I make but mostly I leave out the Cilantro because I don't like it. But I am posting the recipe with it in because I know many do like it.

Tomato Soup with Red Onion and Cilantro Stems
Adapted from Martha Stewart Living, April 1995

1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 medium red onion, diced
1 medium garlic clove, minced
½ tsp. kosher salt, or to taste
1/8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
¼ cup cilantro stems, cut into ½-inch lengths
½ of a jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
1 28-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes
1 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
Sour cream, for serving

Warm the oil in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the onions and garlic, and cook until the onions are soft and translucent, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add the salt, pepper, cilantro stems, and jalapeño, and stir well. Strain the tomatoes, and add the juice to the saucepan. Then seed the tomatoes, chop them coarsely, and add them to the pan as well. Add 2 cups water, and stir to combine. Simmer for 30 minutes. Add the lime juice. Then taste, and adjust the seasoning, if needed.

Serve hot, with a dollop of sour cream.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
elfshadow
Posted: Tue 28 Oct , 2008 6:20 pm
Kill the headlights and put it in neutral

Tosh, do you run some type of catering joint across the pond by any chance? :Q Your soup recipes sound incredible!!

Profile Quote
Berhael
Posted: Tue 28 Oct , 2008 10:28 pm
Milk and kisses

Tosh is a wonderful cook. :)

I make miso soup using dashi, or Japanese fish-and-seaweed stock; you can buy the powdered stuff from Asian supermarkets. Then I add a splash of mirin or sweet sake, miso (I also prefer shiromiso) blended with a little stock, and whatever vegetables I have to hand. If I have fu (Japanese breadstick slices) I'll add them too, or cubed tofu. I prefer to have miso soup without noodles; my favourite Japanese noodle soup is curry udon, which is tremendously satisfying but not very healthy. Basically you mix dashi stock with a cube of Japanese curry roux, add a few prawns or sliced vegetables, and pour over a bowlful of freshly cooked udon noodles. The Japanese will be horrified if you cook your noodles with the soup - you're supposed to cook them in plain water, strain them and then add them to the soup. :shrug:

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Posted: Thu 30 Oct , 2008 3:25 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

:D

Nettle soup later folks. I'm taking a day's break before going back to the beer festival for another two days. Tuesday and Wednesday I got to sample 25 beers and a couple of ciders. But there's still a lot more to try.

Well someone has to do it.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Posted: Thu 30 Oct , 2008 3:30 pm
Daydream Believer

You never take me with you on these adventures. :toast: :toast: :heya:

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
Berhael
Posted: Thu 30 Oct , 2008 9:12 pm
Milk and kisses

And has anyone had sweet soup? :D

Almond soup is a traditional Spanish Christmas dessert. :)

Half a litre /1 pint milk
1 pack almond paste. This is very common in Spain but you might not be able to find it anywhere else: I guess you could use marzipan, or ground almonds. I would use 200 grams, or a piece of marzipan the size of a small fist.
Lemon peel (not grated zest, the whole peel)
1 stick cinnamon
A few pinenuts and sliced almonds, for decoration
10 thin slices of bread - to make it even better I use brioche or pandoro.
A pinch of ground cinnamon
Sugar to taste (if you use marzipan, don't add sugar)

Put the milk, cinnamon stick and lemon peel in a saucepan and heat until it boils; then simmer for a few minutes.
Add the almond paste/marzipan, stirring until it dissolves.
Put the slices of brioche in a deep serving dish. Pour the milk over, then sprinkle with ground cinnamon, almonds and pinenuts.

I might do this for Christmas this year, I bet Alex loves it! :)

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Posted: Thu 30 Oct , 2008 9:19 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

Ooh! Ooh! I so want to try that!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Thu 30 Oct , 2008 9:43 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Me too! :banana:

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
Berhael
Posted: Thu 30 Oct , 2008 11:01 pm
Milk and kisses

I forgot! Put the serving dish with the almond soup under the grill until it's golden! :D

(Jude, Tosh, I can get you almond paste in Spain but I won't be able to send it to you until after Christmas)

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Thu 30 Oct , 2008 11:23 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Do you use deep soup dishes like the ones you serve onion soup in? Because I have grill-proof onion soup bowls.

Note to North Americans: In this case, grill = broiler

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
Berhael
Posted: Fri 31 Oct , 2008 9:59 am
Milk and kisses

Yes, I like to eat my soup from a deep dish rather than a bowl. I'm a funny European. :D

But for the almond soup, you can grill/broil the big serving dish rather than individual portions. :)

(I made gratin dauphinois with my last chunk of Reblochon last night and it was gooooood. Okay, it wasn't soup, but it was wintery and comforting)

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 6  [ 115 posts ]
Return to “The Turf” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
Jump to: