board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Oh sleep, why dost thou leave me?

Post Reply   Page 1 of 4  [ 61 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 3 4 »
Jude
Post subject: Oh sleep, why dost thou leave me?
Posted: Wed 22 Oct , 2008 7:08 pm
Aspiring to heresy

For the past two weeks I've been waking up around 3 in the morning, and not feeling even remotely sleepy.

It's too early to get up and start the day, so I usually get up, putter around for a few minutes, and then try again to go to sleep. And usually this means that I finally wake up later (7AM instead of 5AM) which means that I really only have time to get cleaned up and shaved and go to work.

I think this is due to the change of season, but I'm not sure.

Does anyone else find that changes of season disrupt their sleeping, and have they come up with a way to deal with it?

Ideally, I'd like to have time in the morning for a leisurely coffee and listening to music, my workout, and then go to work. All of this is possible if I get up at 5.

Any suggestions? :help:

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
vison
Post subject: Re: Oh sleep, why dost thou leave me?
Posted: Wed 22 Oct , 2008 7:09 pm
Best friends forever

No suggestion, but sympathy. :hug:

Living on Earth is expensive,
but it does include a free trip
around the sun every year.

Profile Quote
yovargas
Posted: Wed 22 Oct , 2008 10:18 pm

Jude wrote:
Any suggestions? :help:
Have you tried morphine?

Profile Quote
Holbytla
Posted: Wed 22 Oct , 2008 10:36 pm
Grumpy cuz I can be

Go to sleep later. Workout after work, or maybe split it up into two sessions. I use to run in the morning then lift in the afternoon.

I have the opposite problem. I can't seem to wake up early enough nor fall asleep early enough. Although having to wake up at 3:30 is bizarre anyway. So is trying to sleep at 8:30.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
vison
Posted: Wed 22 Oct , 2008 10:39 pm
Best friends forever

If I go to bed too early it spoils my night's sleep, that's for sure. I am longing to crash at 9:30, but if I make myself stay up till 11:00, I sleep much better and don't have any more trouble getting up in the morning.

Living on Earth is expensive,
but it does include a free trip
around the sun every year.

Profile Quote
Crucifer
Posted: Wed 22 Oct , 2008 10:46 pm
A song outlasts a dynasty.

I need to fall into a regular pattern... At the moment, I'm setting my alarm for 2 hours before my first lecture, and going to bed about 8 hours before that, but it's messing me up a bit... I'm thinking 7 am start every morning, if I can manage it... The few days I don't have anything until 12 I'll study or something.

Jude, I tend to go through phases of that as the days get longer. I get woken by the sun. I never found a way around it, myself. Once I went and made myself a pizza. Not a good idea at all. Don't do that.

Sleep is a death; Oh, make me try by sleeping what it is to die.

Profile Quote
The Watcher
Posted: Wed 22 Oct , 2008 11:04 pm
Same as it ever was

Physically hard manual labor does the trick for me. :blackeye:

Seriously,
TJ needs to wake up at 5:45 am to take his morning shower and catch a bus at 6:30 am, so I am always up quite early. And, I still have my night owl tendencies, which means that I usually go to bed sometime between 10 and midnight. :Q

No wonder that I feel like crap most mornings, although the ibuprofen bottle is right next to the vitamin bottle and the honey and lemon juice bottles for my morning dose of hot tea. :D

Scientists tell us that the fastest animal on earth, with a top speed of 120 miles per second, is a cow that has been dropped from a helicopter.

Never under any circumstances take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

- Dave Barry

Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive...
Supermassive Black Hole.

- Muse

[ img ]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Sat 25 Oct , 2008 2:05 am
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

Melatonin (OTC) might help.

:hug:

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Sun 26 Oct , 2008 12:52 am
Aspiring to heresy

Actually, I may have solved it. :Q I put a duvet over the blanket, and for the last two nights I have vague memories of waking up briefly but not so that I had to get up before going to sleep again. I should know in a couple more days whether I've permanently fixed the problem.

Could it really be a matter of such a simple fix? :Q If so: woo-hoo!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Berhael
Posted: Sun 26 Oct , 2008 8:20 pm
Milk and kisses

I have been waking up a couple of times a night for the last couple of weeks or so.

Of course, if Alex didn't wake up, I wouldn't have this problem. :P

God, I miss sleeping a solid 8 hours. :tired:

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Mon 27 Oct , 2008 3:27 am

:hug: (It gets better--I promise!)

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Fri 21 Nov , 2008 3:34 pm
Aspiring to heresy

[ img ]

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Fri 21 Nov , 2008 4:16 pm

Whenever I can't sleep, I meditate, and focus on encouraging my body to heal something that's hurting. I figure if I fall asleep instead, that's fine. If I don't and manage to make something feel better, that's good too. Either way, I win. Unexpected sleeplessness is more of an opportunity than a trial for me.

Sometimes, though, I just meditate without a purpose and drift in and out of sleep and in and out of dreams. I rarely remember them, just the fact that they were mildly entertaining. It makes for a long night, but not an unpleasant one.

I sleep better when I'm warmer, too.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Mon 07 Oct , 2013 2:20 pm
Aspiring to heresy

It's happening again, and at the same time of year, too. Maybe it's how I react to this time of year?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Mon 07 Oct , 2013 2:25 pm

Maybe, but I still think it's an odd way to react to the change of seasons.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Posted: Mon 07 Oct , 2013 5:27 pm
You are hearing me talk

Hm. I had one of those night last night after being free of them since last winter. So maybe there's something to that. If the beginning of the circadian night phase is queuing to sunset and for some reason the duration doesn't increase to compensate, it would make sense that it would end in the middle of the night.

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Mon 07 Oct , 2013 6:37 pm

What I'd like to know is - why 3am, no matter what the season? This seems to be the magic wake-up-and-can't-get-back-to-sleep hour for most people, including me.

When it happens, I usually bore myself back to sleep. Start thinking about something dull and not stressful, like where I planted fall bulbs this year.

Pity there isn't an equivalent way to deal with a cat that wakes up every morning at 5 am, and hopes that, against all odds, this time they'll feel me early.

Society can and does execute its own mandates, and if it issues wrong mandates instead of right, or any mandates at all in things with it ought not to meddle, it practices a social tyranny more formidable than many kinds of political oppression, since, though not usually upheld by such extreme penalties, it leaves fewer means of escape, penetrating much more deeply into the details of life, and enslaving the soul itself. ― John Stuart Mill

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Mon 07 Oct , 2013 7:21 pm

About 4 am is when your body starts producing cortisol in order to be able wake up later. So 3 am is is when your cortisol is the absolute lowest.

If your cortisol goes too low, and you have adrenal fatigue like me and no reserves, then your body will substitute adrenaline to keep the blood sugar up enough to keep your brain alive. Thus you wake up wide awake at 3 am and can't get back to sleep because of the adrenaline making you wired.

Fortunately, if this is your problem, you can fix this by eating something with carbs in it and your blood glucose will go up naturally... or you can bump your cortisol levels by rubbing on some hydrocortisone cream. It takes about 10 minutes to have an effect.

Since the elimination half-life of adrenaline is also about 10 minutes, it clears your body rather quickly once the blood sugar crisis is over and you can get back to sleep. The half life of cortisol is about 1.5 hours, so a 3 am application will last until your body starts making more for the day.

This has happened a couple of times this week to me, so it's fresh in my mind. I make sure to put the hydrocortisone cream on a different spot each time it happens, though, because it can thin the skin if used repeatedly on the same place.

Looking back at my last post on this thread, I can only surmise that meditation helps regulate cortisol release.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Mon 07 Oct , 2013 7:47 pm

Brilliant! Try that, Jude, and let us know what happens.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Posted: Tue 08 Oct , 2013 12:19 pm
You are hearing me talk

I had another thought here--this is the time of year when people start adding extra blankets to the bed. When I wake up at 4 (it's usually 4 for me), part of the problem is that I'm boiling hot. You need 2 or 3 blankets to be comfortable right after you crawl into bed during the cold half of the year, but after a couple hours of body heat building up in them and the mattress, it gets too hot. Take one off, and it quickly becomes too cold again. And around and around we go.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 4  [ 61 posts ]
Return to “The Turf” | Jump to page 1 2 3 4 »
Jump to: