board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

I like to make things.

Post Reply   Page 13 of 13  [ 258 posts ]
Jump to page « 19 10 11 12 13
Jude
Post subject: Re: I like to make things.
Posted: Thu 07 May , 2009 1:57 pm
Aspiring to heresy

:Q I didn't mean to post the above in this thread :oops:

Oh well, I guess it's sort of relevant to the topic ;)

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
Silwen
Posted: Thu 07 May , 2009 4:30 pm
DomiKNITrix

:LMAO: It is a good place for it, Jude.

Rebecca, I read the page you linked to and it gave me lots of ideas too. lucky boy who gets to do all these creative things with you!

Abso-knitting-lutely! The knitting blog.

Profile Quote
Silwen
Posted: Fri 08 May , 2009 12:19 pm
DomiKNITrix

I found a scrub that sounds very refreshing. I might try that one for starters.

http://blog.craftzine.com/archive/2009/ ... F307375954" target="_blank

Profile Quote
Rebecca
Posted: Sat 22 Aug , 2009 1:16 pm

Ok, finally posting all the stuff that I made as farewell gifts when I left the family that I worked with for 2 years.

I made them a bunch of different things, since there wasn't much that they "needed" or would want that I could buy for them.

For the little boy, I made him an "I Spy Quilt" with lots of pieces of fabric that I thought he'd be interested in (football, dogs, cars, anything orange, etc) and some others that he probably isn't...because it takes a lot of squares to make a quilt. :P On the back, I took some of his old pajamas that they were getting rid of and cut them up. I didn't have quite enough, so I bought some more flannel pieces. I did the back second, so if you notice the pieces are much bigger. :P Ok, enough description, time for pictures:
Front: [ img ] Back: [ img ]
Some detail shots: [ img ] [ img ] [ img ] [ img ]

I didn't really put it together "correctly" I've come to realize from looking at tutorials and stuff online. But, I had some thick backing to use up and no real clue what I was doing. :P Some of it turned out messy, but I think it looks nice if you don't examine it real closely. :blackeye:

I also made him a little box to hold letter writing supplies. Technically, the craft store called it a jewelry box, but whatever. :P I painted it and decoupaged on portions of a DC/MD map. Tried to make all relevant- the bottom inside has his street and neighborhood, used the DC Metro map (he loved taking the Metro and we always followed along on the map), etc. And also glued on pictures of the two of us.
Outside: [ img ]

Inside:
[ img ]

Some more detail shots: [ img ] [ img ]

I put lots of cards and envelopes inside, but also made some "letter writing" sized paper with pictures of him on it:
[ img ]

The box went inside a bag that I made out of an old t-shirt of his:
[ img ] [ img ]
It was one of his mom's favorite shirts, so I thought it'd be neat to repurpose it. Some of my sloppiest cutting and sewing ever, but I was getting really pressed for time. :oops:

Then, for his parents I painted some old windows to match the furniture in their basement. The mom had asked me ages ago if I was willing to do it and offered to pay me...but I'm way forgetful. :oops: So, I decided to do it as a farewell gift, since I had no other ideas anyway. :P I spent tons of time drawing for the first window (back when I first took it home, months ago), but had no time for such things now. Besides, the little flowers on the right window...I took my time drawing them all pretty, but I hate how they turned out with paint. I normally would have kept working to fix it...but I had 2 days to do that whole thing. :P From then on I just did it free hand, and it worked out so much better for me.

[ img ]
My favorite parts:
[ img ] [ img ] [ img ]

Phew, it was almost as much work typing this up as it was making them! ;)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
vison
Posted: Sat 22 Aug , 2009 5:59 pm
Best friends forever

Well, that family was lucky they had you as a caregiver for their little boy. Those are wonderful gifts and I bet will be treasured for many years.

Living on Earth is expensive,
but it does include a free trip
around the sun every year.

Profile Quote
Silwen
Posted: Sat 22 Aug , 2009 6:28 pm
DomiKNITrix

Beautiful things, Rebecca. :love:

Profile Quote
nienna
Posted: Sat 22 Aug , 2009 6:39 pm
The best things in life are not things

You put so much thought and effort into those beautiful gifts, Rebecca, and they are wonderful momentos for that little boy and his family to treasure. :)

There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes

Profile Quote
Rebecca
Posted: Mon 24 Aug , 2009 12:47 am

Thanks for the nice comments. :)
The quilt took me ages to make. Goodness, I have a lot of respect for anyone who makes full-size extremely intricate quilts. :Q It may be hard to tell, but mine is on the small side, it'd be just enough to cover a person, barely. Perfect for a five year old, but still, it took ages!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Holbytla
Posted: Mon 24 Aug , 2009 1:02 am
Grumpy cuz I can be

Ummmmm pretty sure you need to make me a comforter still.

And no I don't want to hear about the excuses and fabric issues etc.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Rebecca
Posted: Mon 24 Aug , 2009 12:57 pm

Yeah, I suppose if I got started now, it'd maybe be done by the time it's cold enough to need one. :P

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Mon 24 Aug , 2009 5:51 pm

Those are really nice. :) And quilts do take an appalling amount of time to make. I started one once, and quickly decided that what I really wanted was a doll sized quilt. The result is almost big enough for a baby blanket. :LMAO:

One of these days I'm going to take a pic of the latest, biggest, best skein of yarn I've made. It's cream colored (turns out most of the sheep are that color, once you wash the wool!) three ply, and very soft and strong. Once I have enough accumulated, I plan on doing an afghan. But the spinning itself is addictive enough that I'd keep doing it whether I had a project in mind or not.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Sun 30 Aug , 2009 2:08 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

Yes, quilts are an appalling pain in the neck. I bought the material once to do a queen-sized Double Irish Chain quilt for my bed. It makes a lovely decorative accent in my foyer now, the size of a small baby quilt. :D Of course, I was trying to sew it by hand. It would've been much simpler to sew it on a machine.

Anyway, all of your gifts are beautiful and such a sweet remembrance for the family! They should feel blessed! And you did an amazing job on the flowers!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Rebecca
Posted: Sun 21 Nov , 2010 3:17 am

This is a post I wrote up for craftster.org, but I figured I'd post it here, too. :)

Holby and I made this wardrobe last year and it was such a pain in the neck, but I like it. :D

--------------------------

At my last apartment, I had a huuuge closet to store my clothes. Lots and lots of shelves inside. But when I moved...this apartment's closet was amazingly small and in an inconvenient location. I had previously been using my dresser to store craft supplies and was a bit annoyed with having to actually use it for clothes again.

So, after shopping around some (mostly on craigslist :P ), I decided the best bet would be to make my own (ie, Holby would make it and I wold give ideas and paint it). I knew I mostly wanted shelf space, as I don't like using drawers.

This is what we ended up with:
[ img ]

Some pictures and history of the work in progress.....

I don't have a true "before" picture, since the stupid thing fell apart as we tried to get it into the apartment. I would not recommend redoing a piece of furniture that is particle board. Ick.

Here is a picture I found of it on the web: [ img ] It's an entertainment unit by Sauder.

It was extremely heavy. Really super-duper heavy. The guy who sold it to me on craigslist had to help us get it into the truck, which was not a good sign. Before attempting to get it off the truck, we took it apart as much as we thought was possible. It was still too heavy. :( We took it apart more. It broke in a bunch of places trying to get it up the stairs and into the apartment. :x

The rest of the work took a long time. The tenants downstairs complained that we were sawing upstairs (this was last winter, so, yes, we did use the chopsaw inside. Sheesh what a mess). I was "fired" from painting (the primer and base coat) by Holby. :P Numerous trips back and forth to Home Depot trying to find the right materials. It took about three months total to complete.

Holby made doors to cover the shelving inside: [ img ] We were originally going to keep the glass door on the far right, but when it was shut it didn't line up with the new doors and just didn't match closely enough. So we took it off and made a new one ("we" = Holby :P ). Finding good hinges was a pain, too. None at Home Depot were able to screw onto such a thin piece of wood. We also decided to make the shelf that would hold the tv up a bit higher, so we redid that as well. I changed my mind and decided I wanted a few drawers, so we put some in on the top shelf.

We gave the whole thing a good coat of primer. [ img ]

Here's a shot of the inside drawer: [ img ]

Everything was painted brown: [ img ]
(Same brown I've used on almost all of my furniture. :P I originally purchased it for this shelf and have since used it on most of my projects: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.ph ... msg3100134 )

The back was painted green: [ img ]

It took me ages to decide how to decorate it. I changed my mind about a million times, before settling on Holby's original idea of birch trees: [ img ]
(sorry for some of the pictures' quality, they were taken with a cell phone camera).

An action shot: [ img ]

It's unfortunately less sturdy than we would like. Mostly due to the stupid particle board. It got all out of whack when we moved it into the bedroom. One of the doors still doesn't always shut right. :P The stupid thing is so heavy! We had a hard time moving it at all.

And now for some more pictures:
[ img ] [ img ]

[ img ] [ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

Profile Quote
vison
Posted: Sun 21 Nov , 2010 5:32 am
Best friends forever

Very nice indeed!!!!!!!!!

I remember the jewelry you made out of the beach glass we found in Chicago. Do you still do that?

Living on Earth is expensive,
but it does include a free trip
around the sun every year.

Profile Quote
Rebecca
Posted: Sun 21 Nov , 2010 2:04 pm

Yup. :) Not as often as I used to since I work much longer hours at my new job. I teach a course in Providence on jewelry making sometimes, too.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Sun 21 Nov , 2010 9:46 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

That's really neat! I like it a lot! You guys did a lovely job!

And, yes, those Sauder pieces are surprisingly heavy. No fun to move! :neutral:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
elfshadow
Posted: Sun 21 Nov , 2010 10:07 pm
Kill the headlights and put it in neutral

That's very impressive, Rebecca! :) You both did a fantastic job. Y'all can make furniture for me anytime. :P

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Mon 22 Nov , 2010 4:42 pm

I really like that!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 13 of 13  [ 258 posts ]
Return to “The Turf” | Jump to page « 19 10 11 12 13
Jump to: