Posted: Mon 13 Jul , 2009 11:17 am

What's that one got to do with Star Trek? :scratch:

Profile Quote
Farawen
Post subject: Re: Random Thoughts and Observations
Posted: Mon 13 Jul , 2009 12:30 pm
Far out

Erunáme wrote:
I just started using a Firefox add on called Stumble Upon.

http://www.stumbleupon.com/

You check what interests you then it brings up random webpages that should interest you.

There should be some sort of warning sign on that website - it's addictive! :Q

*goes back to Stumbling*

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Mon 13 Jul , 2009 12:52 pm
Aspiring to heresy

yovargas wrote:
What's that one got to do with Star Trek? :scratch:
Okay, I assumed it was Star Trek. What is it, then?

It's funny anyway.

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Posted: Mon 13 Jul , 2009 2:06 pm
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

Looks like just random marines or summin. :D That pic was posted here, so whew! Now for the hard part. ;) Will try not to let ye down.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Eruname
Posted: Fri 17 Jul , 2009 8:56 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

Oh *EEEEEEEEEEEEE*!

[ img ]

Though I've bet you already have seen that. :P

But dayum, that's some ugly hair! :damnfunny:

edit: ooh there's more:

[ img ]

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Posted: Fri 17 Jul , 2009 9:55 pm
bioalchemist

yovargas wrote:
To whoever(s) decided to cancel Firefly: I hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate you.
:x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x
Last Christmas my sister and I decided to spread the love and hate by converting our father into a browncoat.

Mom's sort of forgiven us.

"He attacks. And here I can kill him. But I don't. That's the answer to world peace, people."
-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Posted: Sat 18 Jul , 2009 10:59 am
Hasta la victoria, siempre

Thought: IT ISN'T FAIR that drivers who are lucky enough to be able to afford a car to take them where they want whenever they want whatever the weather KEEP HONKING THEIR HORNS or glaring at me generally when they're speeding away after yet another spirited attempt to run me and my girlfriend down. I DON'T CARE THAT THERE'S NO PAVEMENT. WE LIVE HERE AND YOU DON'T. GET THE FUCK OVER IT.

:rage:

Avatar is a male me, drawn by a very close friend. Just don't ask why.

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Posted: Mon 20 Jul , 2009 1:49 am
bioalchemist

It is both irritating and oddly gratifying when your cat plants himself between you and whatever it is you're doing, demanding attention. Especially when the cat has, in fact, been fed.

"He attacks. And here I can kill him. But I don't. That's the answer to world peace, people."
-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
Holbytla
Posted: Mon 20 Jul , 2009 2:44 am
Grumpy cuz I can be

It is ok to verbally chastise a cat for playing with things like tape.
It is not ok to verbally chastise your gps.

edited:typos
I swear I need new glasses again. :roll:

Last edited by Holbytla on Mon 20 Jul , 2009 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Rebecca
Posted: Mon 20 Jul , 2009 11:50 am

Even if the GPS is being stupid and not working?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Holbytla
Posted: Mon 20 Jul , 2009 11:56 am
Grumpy cuz I can be

That's like yelling at a wall for having a chunk missing from it. :P

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Posted: Mon 20 Jul , 2009 6:05 pm
bioalchemist

But it makes you feel better, doesn't it?

-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
Holbytla
Posted: Mon 20 Jul , 2009 7:02 pm
Grumpy cuz I can be

NO!!

Don't talk to it Merry. Don't encourage it.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Holbytla
Posted: Mon 20 Jul , 2009 8:15 pm
Grumpy cuz I can be

Random double post because I can.
This is why random threads rock. You don't have to stay on topic, because there is none and you can do that whole stream of concious thing.

Can you hear Alice Cooper singing, "Hello Hooray"?
Can you hear Alice Cooper at all?
Really?

One of the better artisits of the 70's who has since not enjoyred the fame he use to.
Or maybe he has, but I just haven't noticed it.

He had that je ne sais quoi, that set him apart from the pack, and he has several albums that totally rock.

And he could actually sing. In a unique sort of way.

Anyway the apartment still needs cleaning, so I am off.

:whooosh:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Posted: Tue 21 Jul , 2009 7:29 am
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

Sorry for the delayed response, Eru. The combination of rpattz and funnies and you posting was too much. ;)
Erunáme wrote:
[ img ]

Though I've bet you already have seen that. :P
I haven't! To be fair, all the grease probably helped him slip around nice and easily, remaining unscathed, when that car hit him a few weeks ago.

[ img ]
Quote:
But dayum, that's some ugly hair! :damnfunny:
ngl, I love it because it's so him, but that is definitely the wildest it's ever been haha. They had him promoting Twilight for most of '08, so bathing probably took a backseat to naps and beer runs. Add in a nervous tick (he kept going to play with his hair at the Oscars then being like, 'oh yeah, I cut it all off') and forget about acceptable hair lol.

He's done better this year, though!

[ img ]
Quote:
[ img ]
lol... effort. You could also just kick back and let the tech people handle it. CGI sparkles for later, painted abs now. :thumbsup

[ img ]

In sum,

[ img ]

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Eruname
Posted: Thu 30 Jul , 2009 2:13 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

Ack...never replied to this. I love the Lost manip gif! :LMAO:

So apparently I've been committing a big social faux pas here in England.

I've started reading the book Watching the English and the first section was about the weather. Superficially, it looks like the English are obsessed with the weather because they talk about it so much. When one looks at why it's talked about, you can see that it's used as a way to greet people or fill in awkward stalls in conversation.

Anyway, apparently you aren't ever supposed to disagree with someone when they greet you with a weather phrase such as "Cold, isn't it?" Disagreeing seems rude. You can get away with disagreeing if you make yourself out to be odd but you still have to agree at the same time. Ex: "Yes, but I don't tend to notice the cold. It feels rather warm to me."

Though as a foreigner, I'm really not supposed to disagree or criticise British weather in any manner. The author refers to this as the 'Weather-as-family Rule'....it's okay for someone to criticise their own family but it's not okay when an outsider does it. The English kind of treat English weather as part of the family and are particularly patriotic about it. The author writes:
Quote:
The worst possible weather-speak offence is one mainly committed by foreigners, particularly Americans, and that is to belittle the English weather. When the summer temperature reaches the high twenties, and we moan, 'Phew, isn't it hot?', we do not take kindly to visiting Americans or Australians laughing and scoffing and saying 'Call this hot? This is nothing. You should come to Texas/Brisbane if you want to see hot!
Now I've not been that blatant about it but I sure have scoffed about the "hot" weather here. No one has seemed to be outwardly upset, but I guess they still could have been miffed. :P

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Posted: Fri 31 Jul , 2009 12:30 am
Filthy darwinian hobbit

:LMAO:

Weather as family; I like it. Don't worry about faux pas Eru. It's not like it's important. Competitive weather stories are a subset of English weather conversation anyway.
On a more reflective note, those sorts of observations bring flashes of self recognition but being 'English' is such a varied business that I'm darned if I know how to characterise it. I'm intensely proud of being English but there is not a single thing, patriotism included that reliably unites us.

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Posted: Fri 31 Jul , 2009 1:35 am

Erunáme wrote:
When one looks at why it's talked about, you can see that it's used as a way to greet people or fill in awkward stalls in conversation.
I found myself ranting again, so will try to be uncharacteristically brief: :P me no likey weather-related conversations because it represents a topic no one really cares about, said to people they don't really care about, for politeness benefiting no one in particular. Snoooooooore!

tyfyt :D

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Lidless
Posted: Fri 31 Jul , 2009 6:48 am
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

That where the word weather comes from - the Brits never know whether it'll be hot or cold / sunny or rainy the next day.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Di of Long Cleeve
Posted: Mon 03 Aug , 2009 11:12 am
Frodo's girl through and through

Erunáme wrote:
Though as a foreigner, I'm really not supposed to disagree or criticise British weather in any manner. The author refers to this as the 'Weather-as-family Rule'....it's okay for someone to criticise their own family but it's not okay when an outsider does it. The English kind of treat English weather as part of the family and are particularly patriotic about it. The author writes:
Quote:
The worst possible weather-speak offence is one mainly committed by foreigners, particularly Americans, and that is to belittle the English weather. When the summer temperature reaches the high twenties, and we moan, 'Phew, isn't it hot?', we do not take kindly to visiting Americans or Australians laughing and scoffing and saying 'Call this hot? This is nothing. You should come to Texas/Brisbane if you want to see hot!
That really is kind of funny. :D Don't diss our weather! -- even if we do. :rofl:

I wouldn't worry too much about it, Eru. :) I disagree with other people about the weather all the time. It can get quite comical.

In any case, the very worst social faux pas people can make in Britain is Jumping the Queue. :blackeye:

I think the definition of 'hot weather' in Britain is this: the sun shows its face every so often through the cloud cover, this tends to happen most during the warmest time of year (May to September), and we all go, 'it's hot! Yay!' We swarm eagerly to garden centres and beaches and parks because IT'S OVER SIXTY DEGREES FAHRENHEIT AND THE SUN IS OUT!!! OMG WE DON'T KNOW WHEN WE WILL SEE IT AGAIN! :D

On another note, I love my country madly but I am the first to admit that it does not do Customer Service. :blackeye:

Jewelsong and I were at Hampton Court Palace yesterday afternoon, a wonderful place I have visited many times, but the staff on duty seemed to be having a particularly bad afternoon on the courtesy front, the administration front, and the general PR front. :blackeye: It was that classic thing you get in Britain when the customer is treated rather like a nuisance. It was all very Fawlty Towers. :D

I wanted to visit because they had this exhibition called 'Henry's Women', which was a collection of personal items from his six wives: Anne Boleyn's prayer book, a locket of Catherine Howard's hair, stuff like that. Doesn't that sound interesting? :)

Well, I'd love to tell you how interesting it was, but we never got to see it! The queue was ridiculous. The collection was in a very small room. OK, fine: so why not have timed tickets, like every other museum/gallery in London, so you can cope with the numbers? If you advertise an exhibition like that, of course tons of people will flock to see it. People were also having trouble finding the exhibit, because there were no signs anywhere. Hampton Court is one of London's major tourist attractions. FAIL. :D

I wasn't going to stand in a queue for forty minutes while the sun was shining outside, especially if it was only to try to view these precious historical items in a small room with 20 other people blocking my view. That never fails to drive me crazy. :blackeye: FAIL. :D

It wasn't the only Fail either. Our afternoon was a bit like the Comedy of Errors.

On the totally upside, the gardens and grounds at Hampton Court are incredibly beautiful, the sun was shining, we watched Henry VIII and Katherine Parr getting married (like you do) and there were lots of cute kids running about in velvet cloaks. And we had a ride on a carriage pulled by two gorgeous Shire horses. And we ended our afternoon in a nice restaurant by the River Thames, enjoying some excellent food and wine. :cheers:

I learned something new too: King William and Queen Mary (1682-1702) wanted to pull down the 'old-fashioned' Tudor palace and put up their smart new Versailles-style palace instead. They ran out of money, so that's why Hampton Court is the architectural hybrid it is ... one half is the lovely Tudor old palace (the one that King William and Queen Mary found so terribly out of date :D ) and the other is their 'modern' 18th century Versailles-style palace. I like their newer French-style palace very much, but am not sorry they were unable to totally demolish the old Tudor one.

"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... " Letter no. 246

Avatar by elanordh on Live Journal

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 37 of 38  [ 758 posts ]
Return to “The Turf” | Jump to page « 134 35 36 37 38 »
Jump to: