The Last Homely Site on the Web

I finally did it.

Post Reply   Page 2 of 2  [ 32 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2
laureanna
Post subject: Re: I finally did it.
Posted: Tue 03 Mar , 2009 1:30 am
Triathlete

Toxic Shock? Been there, done that, about six months before it made the headlines, so I just thought I had a whopper of a strange flu.

Well, I'm back.

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Posted: Tue 03 Mar , 2009 1:52 am
Hasta la victoria, siempre

Ew. Guess I shouldn't be so blase about it I suppose. It really doesn't sound like much fun.

-Pips-

Avatar is a male me, drawn by a very close friend. Just don't ask why.

Profile Quote
enchantress
Posted: Tue 03 Mar , 2009 4:18 am
Sorcery in Action

Congrats Wilma! Have fun!
I don't have any piercings. Like Maria, I think I have some deep seated belief about making extra holes in my own body being creepy :P Somehow I can never fully warm up to the idea of any permanent body decorations on myself. Mind you, I have issues with change and serious committment in general ;)
I do think about ear piercings sometimes because I love jewelry and earrings do look cool... though with my mane of hair my ears rarely show... so it wouldn't be that practical... OR, I'd just need to cut my hair or tie it back more often to get the full benefit... and thats just wayyyyyyyy too many changes all at once ;) :P

Falling into Autumn... :)

Profile Quote
Wilma
Posted: Tue 03 Mar , 2009 5:15 pm
Takoyaki is love

Wow I didn't realize there would be so many stories. Maria and Enchie, usually I have had an aversion to piercing my ears because of the whole punching holes in my body for jewelery etc.... but my mother had wanted me to do it, so I did. (My Mom was a girly girl).

About how they are holding up, it's only been 2 days and they sting a little bit. There is no swelling and redness. I think I am going to clean them 4 times a day rather then 3 just because I am really afraid of them getting infected.

My sis tried taking pics for me and the earrings are not really visible in the pic since they are tiny gold studs. So maybe when I get ones that are more visible.

Itoshiki Sensei from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Avatar by: sparklessence

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Tue 03 Mar , 2009 5:42 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

Clean them well. Rinse them well after washing your hair, too. And don't be afraid to use an antibiotic ointment on them. Once they can be taken out, I would often dip the stem of the earring in the antibiotic and then put it in my ear. I just have especially sensitive skin; if I had continued to fight it, the infections would have eventually stopped. I just got tired of fighting on this third set of piercings. I'm too old!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
elfshadow
Posted: Tue 03 Mar , 2009 7:20 pm
Kill the headlights and put it in neutral

I had pretty frequent infections the second time I got my ears pierced. But I honestly didn't mind them that much, and now I just always keep the studs in so that there's no chance they'll start to close up again. That's when the worst infections happened--if I took them out and had to re-pierce a little bit of the skin with the earring. I know that sounds really gross and painful, but I really didn't have a problem doing it. I just never really had an aversion to things like that.

I was far more scared of that tattoo than either of my piercings. I guess because I knew it would be prolonged, whereas a piercing takes seconds. But the tattoo wasn't bad at all. More annoying than painful. I also got it on my shoulder blade which isn't a particularly sensitive area of the body. I definitely don't regret it one bit, I love it! :D

Profile Quote
Wilma
Posted: Thu 05 Mar , 2009 6:57 pm
Takoyaki is love

Well I think it's day 5. You know I only ever thought about the initial pain of getting my ears pierced. Not all the after care stuff and that the pain would continue. I can't sleep and the other night I banged my ear by accident :bawl: . The realization that I had wiling and deliberated allowed my self to be mutilated is slowly dawning on me. Sometimes I forget my ears are pierced and I keep wondering why my ears hurt. I wonder why it feels like something is driven right through them. :Q Then I realize that is because there is!!! How can people let this be done to children especially small children :scarey: . What about people who get spacers!!:scarey: Or have other places pierced!!!!! :scarey: :scarey: :scarey: :scarey: . Who the hell got this idea in the first place? (Not to mention before modern times where the heck did they get antiseptic and stuff.) ZOMG

I had a doc look at them and she says it looks fresh (as a freshly inflicted wound), but it looks good, so I guess I am cleaning them properly (although I am never sure if I am turning the earrings properly since they don't look like they are turning. They are just tiny gold studs).

Now I know for sure sure that when I have a baby I am getting an epidural. :help:

Itoshiki Sensei from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Avatar by: sparklessence

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jaeniver
Posted: Thu 05 Mar , 2009 7:58 pm
I can't count but I'm cute

I pierced my ears twice ;) But very good you did it. Earrings are a fab addiction.

I am actually looking forward to getting a tattoo....Now I fear the pain that might cause :help:

So give me your forever.
Please your forever.
Not a day less will do
From you

~Other half of the Menacing Glare Duo~ partner-in-crime out to confuse the world!

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Thu 05 Mar , 2009 8:35 pm

Wilma wrote:
Who the hell got this idea in the first place? (Not to mention before modern times where the heck did they get antiseptic and stuff.) ZOMG
wikipedia wrote:
Ear piercing is one of the oldest known forms of body modification, with artistic and written references from cultures around the world dating back to early history. One of the early signs of earrings worn by men are from the walls of Perspolis in ancient Persia, the carved images of the soldiers from various parts of the Persian Empire which are displayed on some of the surviving walls of the palace showing the soldiers wearing an ear ring.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earring" target="_blank

[ img ]

Profile Quote
elfshadow
Posted: Thu 05 Mar , 2009 9:09 pm
Kill the headlights and put it in neutral

Jaeniver wrote:
I am actually looking forward to getting a tattoo....Now I fear the pain that might cause :help:
Totally understand where you're coming from. :) I was so nervous before I got my tattoo (almost two weeks ago) because I was afraid of the pain. I promise that it wasn't bad at all for me! There are some areas of the body that are more sensitive than others, like the back of the leg or the ribcage. But as I said in my last post, I got my tattoo on the shoulder blade which isn't all that sensitive. Mine took about 35 minutes and I can't say I enjoyed it, but it was definitely tolerable. It felt more abrasive than anything else. Occasionally the needle would hit a more sensitive area closer to my underarm, but it wasn't even enough pain to make me flinch or anything. I would describe it like rubbing up against a rough surface pretty hard.

Do you know what your design would be?

Wilma, I hope yours heals soon! :hug: I think infections are unfortunately unavoidable with piercings. :( But within a couple of weeks everything should clear up! It sounds like you're taking good care of yours, so there shouldn't be any lasting problems.

Profile Quote
theduffster
Posted: Sun 08 Mar , 2009 5:11 pm
Damn those Amish!!

Congrats, Wilma! I hope everything is fine, and that you enjoy buying earrings. I didn't get mine pierced until I was an adult, but I never wear earrings any more. Any kind irritates them, and I finally just gave up. I really can't wear any jewelry. They all irritate my skin. I wear necklaces that Rebecca made, but I have to be careful to keep the chain off my neck, or I put them on a nice string. Even my wedding band chafed my finger.

[ img ]

Gob: Return from whence you came!!

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Mon 09 Mar , 2009 2:24 pm

I'm the same way about jewelry, duffster. :) I did find that I can wear rocks as jewelry, though, as long as it's not hematite. There's too much metal in hematite, I guess. Metal just bothers me. My wedding ring bothered me every day for the 10 or 12 years that I did wear it until my husband and I both took ours off for judo class. Then I finally noticed I felt MUCH better without that ring on my finger that I had to keep spinning and moving back and forth all the time and I stopped wearing it all together. What a relief!

I've got some necklaces that are basically rocks on strings that work out for me- I can tolerate a single small metal clasp. Turquoise, adventurine, jasper, jade... they are all fine-but if I put on the hematite bead one, it's just as irritating as metal. If I leave that necklace on for a full day, it feels like I still have the necklace on for days afterwards! I think, maybe, it interferes with my bioelectrical fields or something. :shrug:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 2  [ 32 posts ]
Return to “The Turf” | Jump to page « 1 2
Jump to: